Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

The existence of giants in the setting makes it not all that weird; presumably some humans have varying degrees of giant ancestry. We know that fishman-human and fishman-giant hybrids are possible, so it makes sense that there would be human-giant hybrids too.

Edit: We do also have examples of a human (Linlin) and a mermaid (Shirahoshi) who are much larger than their parents, but Linlin is specifically presented as a one-of-a-kind freak of nature.

I thought Shirahoshi was specifically a giant goldfish mermaid or something like that. Also unrelated, I love that Oda dropped the bit of lore where fishmem/merpeople can just randomly inherit any of their family tree’s lineages as an excuse to have as many out there designs as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Silver2195 posted:

a mermaid (Shirahoshi) who [is] much larger than [her] parents

Shirahoshi is two feet shorter than her dad.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Bleck posted:

How many gum-gums is that?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bleck posted:

Do merpeople have heights, or do they have lengths? Or is it a mix of torso height and tail length?

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Gyges posted:

I like how Big Mom has been thirsty for a Giant for like 60 years, but none of them will call her back. It's just a weird thing that only makes sense in the foundational insanity of the One Piece world.

To be fair she did kind of burn down a whole village, murder one of their great heroes, and then eat a bunch of children. If anything the fact that their primary beef with her these days is that the daughter she was trying to marry off to them ran away says a lot about the Giants' patience with her.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Scholtz posted:

How many gum-gums is that?

According to my calculations, it is [a mystery number]

Gyges posted:

Do merpeople have heights, or do they have lengths?

Yeah.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gyges posted:

I like how Big Mom has been thirsty for a Giant for like 60 years, but none of them will call her back. It's just a weird thing that only makes sense in the foundational insanity of the One Piece world.

Do I remember right that the marriage she had almost arranged for her daughter was with the Prince of the Giants? I feel like that Prince has been mentioned a few times but never actually seen(?), and that he's going to end up being an important character in the series, presumably when the Strawhats go to Elbaf.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 7, 2023

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

Jerusalem posted:

Do I remember right that the marriage she had almost arranged for her daughter was with the Prince of the Giants?

Prince Loki, yeah.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Bleck posted:

I feel it's important to point out that she was, however, about the same size as her mum as an infant.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Bleck posted:

Prince Loki, yeah.

It was always shameful how he was stepping out on Angrbođa to get with Lola. Poor girl already gave him a pass for his fling with Svađilfari, and he's still at it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I hope Prince Loki will have heard about Usopp from the other Giants and ends up being a big fan.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We'll see Prince Loki's dad and he's just Kratos.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Do I remember right that the marriage she had almost arranged for her daughter was with the Prince of the Giants? I feel like that Prince has been mentioned a few times but never actually seen(?), and that he's going to end up being an important character in the series, presumably when the Strawhats go to Elbaf.

Yeah I believe the Prince become infatuated with Lola, Big Mom thought it was an opportunity to mend the rift with the Giants after the whole "killing a lot of them" situation and then instead got worse when Lola escaped.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
no chap this week but anime is sanji vs queen and the animation is Good

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.crunchyroll.com/watch/G9DUEGZGE/the-strike-of-an-ifrit-sanji-vs-queen

highly recommend. insanely good poo poo from start to finish.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

anime was right posted:

no chap this week but anime is sanji vs queen and the animation is Good

chap is out in three hours!

only matters because one of my friends does lettering for Viz so i can't flood the timeline with MidFraud until official release

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, we just had this week's chapter last week

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1016004
Relive the magic

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Chapter 1083? :dudsmile:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Buggy the Crowned

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Jesus who was the staff on this episode?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Buggy is so cool you guys.

So loving cool.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I didn't catch before that Ahiru is just saying those robot sounds out loud.

Oda's side characters are great.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
No way my boy, T-Bone, is dead. Not off screen. The only way he dies is feeding his own body to this villagers. There isn't a more charitable character in One Piece, guy is pretending to be dead so they get money and he's going to be part of a movement in the Marines to stop being dicks.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
[Cross Guild waiting room]

Me: [chanting] buggy-flesh, buggy-flesh

Other pirates: buggy-flesh, BUGGY-FLESH

"Hawk Eyes" Mihawk: [pounding his "Black Blade" Yoru] BUGGY-FLESH, BUGGY-FLESH, BUGGY-FLESH!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Nikumatic posted:

[Cross Guild waiting room]

Me: [chanting] buggy-flesh, buggy-flesh

Other pirates: buggy-flesh, BUGGY-FLESH

"Hawk Eyes" Mihawk: [pounding his "Black Blade" Yoru] BUGGY-FLESH, BUGGY-FLESH, BUGGY-FLESH!

Crococile: [in the corner] *crying noises*

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i cannot wait for crocodile and mihawk to buy into buggys hype its going to be amazing

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

anime was right posted:

i cannot wait for crocodile and mihawk to buy into buggys hype its going to be amazing

They'll just get more and more annoyed that he continues to solidify his place as figurehead/leader

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Snazzy Frocks posted:

They'll just get more and more annoyed that he continues to fail upwards

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

No break next week :,)

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I am a bit confused by Sabo's statement at the end. If/when the government finds out he survived and returned to the Revolutionary Army, wouldn't they cleanse the entire army even if he did not tell anyone, let alone Dragon and Ivankov? The government deleted a whole island/kingdom/nation because of him.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

No break next week :,)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

:allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thank you, Captain Buggy! :cry:

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I am ready for Captain Buggy to reignite my dream of no breaks

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Flair posted:

I am a bit confused by Sabo's statement at the end. If/when the government finds out he survived and returned to the Revolutionary Army, wouldn't they cleanse the entire army even if he did not tell anyone, let alone Dragon and Ivankov? The government deleted a whole island/kingdom/nation because of him.

I think it's the other way around, they were deleting the island and he happened to have ended up on it "How unfortunate for him".

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Flair posted:

If they could simply eliminate the Revolutionary Army they would have probably done so ages ago. Sabo notably hasn't made anything he saw public yet even though it would be very relevant for the Revolutionaries' cause, so I feel like there's something more to this.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Eiba posted:

I didn't catch before that Ahiru is just saying those robot sounds out loud.

Same, that's fantastic :allears: