Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Looking for suggestions for late summer blooming shade perennials. Zone 6. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Hostas lol

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Greg Legg posted:

That is really cool!

I have a question that's not really garden related but I don't know where else to ask. I've been trying to remove some stumps with a shovel and a pickaxe. Am I on the right track, or is there a better way to do this? I'm not really in a rush and it's a fun little work out.

rent a small stump grinder for a day and get it done, they’re cool as hell

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
Got my peppers planted for the season! This year's lineup:
MA Purple - year 2
Sugar rush peach stripey - year 2
Thor's hammer - year 2
Aji charapita
Pockmark peach
Lemon starburst
Thunder mountain longhorn
Dragon's breath
MK purple trash
Jay's red ghost scorpion
Habanero sweet red
Jalapeno purple
Bishop's crown

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bloody Cat Farm posted:

Looking for suggestions for late summer blooming shade perennials. Zone 6. Any ideas?

Are we talking part shade or full shade?
Part shade: Will you settle for "blooms all summer"? Hydrangeas are amazing. And they really are, for once, the color shown in photographs.

https://endlesssummerhydrangeas.com/product/bloomstruck-bigleaf-hydrangea/ Where I am (zone 9) hydrangeas grow quite happily when fully shaded by trees. This Southern Living write-up runs through some hydrangeas that can handle full shade, although you'll want to check them against your zone.

For full shade, astilbes are beautiful.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

CommonShore posted:

Also I heard a vole die to a snap trap while I was in there digging. You're cute but I'm not runng a vole buffet.

Same. Most of the time ours don't bother the garden much but last year they tunnelled into the herb spiral and were eating roots and collapsing it. I waited until I heard the local Barred Owl family hunting in the evening then put a 2x2 white piece of plywood next to the spiral with a little mound of grain in the centre. The problem disappeared.

Maybe I'll paint an Applebee's logo on the plywood next time. Yes, I am a sick puppy.

Greg Legg posted:

I have a question that's not really garden related but I don't know where else to ask. I've been trying to remove some stumps with a shovel and a pickaxe. Am I on the right track, or is there a better way to do this? I'm not really in a rush and it's a fun little work out.

Depends on the size and type of wood. If the stump is disappearing you're on the right track. Grinders are great for getting it out of sight but there might still be large chucks left that will rot out and require fill later. nbd if you don't have horses or other critters that can break a leg stepping in a hole.

I rented a mini-excavator last spring and did some stump digging after the main job was done. We had the tip of a cedar stump poking up into the path at one location just high enough to trip on and catch the mower. I could have dumped a couple of wheelbarrows of soil around it and smoothed things out but no, I had to be thorough and start digging. By the time I had it out the hole was big enough to bury a SmartCar.

I've used potassium nitrate stump remover in the past with indifferent results. Drill, soak stump with solution for several months, then :flame:. What's not to like? Unfortunately here at least you are limited to no more than 2 containers per purchase and you get put on a watch list.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Surprisingly, I hadn’t thought of that. Good idea! I may add some.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Are we talking part shade or full shade?
Part shade: Will you settle for "blooms all summer"? Hydrangeas are amazing. And they really are, for once, the color shown in photographs.

https://endlesssummerhydrangeas.com/product/bloomstruck-bigleaf-hydrangea/ Where I am (zone 9) hydrangeas grow quite happily when fully shaded by trees. This Southern Living write-up runs through some hydrangeas that can handle full shade, although you'll want to check them against your zone.

For full shade, astilbes are beautiful.

If there were any super short hydrangeas I would absolutely be game.

The bed is mostly astilbe and trillium with one hellebore, one lungwort and some lily of the valley. I’m just worried it’ll get a little tired and boring in late summer.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Looks like most of my stuff is in for the season:

I didn't harden off really well but I put my seedlings out the last two days and they've seemed... excited to be outside. I transplanted them all today while it was currently raining, and this weekend is the traditional "in ground" weekend for where I am. The tomatillos already had flowers on them because I didn't expect most of my seeds to take 12 HOURS to germinate but nothing pot bound or weird

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

There are super short hydrangeas! I have two in pots on my deck. "Let's Dance" series; I have Rave, maxing out at 3', which will be a nice purple once I get the pH right. Blue Jangles maxes out at 2'. Let's Dance hydrangeas

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I have a small tree in my yard which is dead/dying and has termites eating it.
Should I call in a professional, or is there some kind of poison I can apply to it to kill them all?

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

There are super short hydrangeas! I have two in pots on my deck. "Let's Dance" series; I have Rave, maxing out at 3', which will be a nice purple once I get the pH right. Blue Jangles maxes out at 2'. Let's Dance hydrangeas

Oh wow. Thank you so much for this!!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
My granny bo called em "hygeraniums" haha

unfortunately she also called black people by a different word so it's not all fun and games

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Tremors posted:

Got my peppers planted for the season! This year's lineup:
MA Purple - year 2
Sugar rush peach stripey - year 2
Thor's hammer - year 2
Aji charapita
Pockmark peach
Lemon starburst
Thunder mountain longhorn
Dragon's breath
MK purple trash
Jay's red ghost scorpion
Habanero sweet red
Jalapeno purple
Bishop's crown

Hell yeah. I need to get my habs, jalapeños, lemon drops and anaheims in the ground. Just built my beds this weekend.

What is the stone in the corner of your bed? Do boards just slide in? That rules.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

Yeah! You can stack them however high you want then hammer some rebar down the middle. You can even get fancy and do a tiered design. I used rough sawn cedar for the boards. Only had to cut a few in half to make the basic 4x8 bed.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Oldcastle-7-5-in-x-7-5-in-x-5-5-in-Tan-Brown-Concrete-Planter-Wall-Block-16202336/206501693

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Almost all of my seedlings are in. Wish them luck.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
My plants are growing like poo poo so far because our weather has been cloudy and cool for most of the last month since I transplanted. Also suspecting my beds might be hurting for nutrients.

Aphids don't wait though, so the daily squishing game has begun.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Yeah. We had a cold, wet April, and are looking at a cold, wet May, and I DON'T CARE anymore that it's good for the groundwater.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

~Coxy posted:

I have a small tree in my yard which is dead/dying and has termites eating it.
Should I call in a professional, or is there some kind of poison I can apply to it to kill them all?

Call a professional - termites are a symptom, not the cause. By the time they move in the tree is already well hosed by fungi, bacteria, drought...

Unless you're in Florida, where I've heard the termites have more of a "Patience my rear end, I'm going to kill something" approach to life.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I've finally got my cucumber seeds! Spacemaster 80, so we'll see how they do in a 5-gallon bucket with Lowe's Cheapest Tomato Cage as a trellis.

Just realized I've got two varieties of dill, and two of basil all in like 20 square feet... so there'll probably be some cross-pollinating. That's OK. I don't mind ordering seeds for the varieties I like best next year. And any hybrid volunteers are welcome to give it a shot.

I probably won't get my dill growing in enough time for cross-pollination to really matter before they succumb to the heat, but I will think positive thoughts at them.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I've always heard that you aren't supposed to let fruiting plants bloom or bear fruit the year they are planted to let the plant put energy into roots and foliage, but the person at the nursery looked at me like I had two heads when I mentioned removing the small green berries from some blueberry bushes.

Is that an outdated practice?

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Shifty Pony posted:

I've always heard that you aren't supposed to let fruiting plants bloom or bear fruit the year they are planted to let the plant put energy into roots and foliage, but the person at the nursery looked at me like I had two heads when I mentioned removing the small green berries from some blueberry bushes.

Is that an outdated practice?
It may well be ideal to remove the fruit/flowers but it’s definitely into plant min/maxing territory. It’s certainly not necessary ime and I doubt the time is worth the effort, but it won’t hurt either.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
I remove most of the small fruit and flowers when I plant a new tree the first two years. I thought that was common with planting fruit trees. I try to leave 2-4 fruit so I get to see what it tastes like.

Its common when planting tomatoes too. If this 6 inch tomato plant has flowers, most people I've seen remove them so that the tomato keeps growing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Yup. I didn't let my apple set fruit its first year, and I'm going to thin aggressively this year, but i don't think that applies to fruit bushes; maybe strawberries.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Some fruits like citrus just drop all the flowers/fruits they can't support iirc so I don't think it's really necessary to prune them

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone have a good guide to hydropnic fertilizers? Finished putting a big 5ft tall 3d printed tower, have the media etc, but don't know what to do for nutrients.

Not sure what I want to plant in it yet. Was thinking of doing a ton of herbs, strawberries, or maybe some tomatoes

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone have a good guide to hydropnic fertilizers? Finished putting a big 5ft tall 3d printed tower, have the media etc, but don't know what to do for nutrients.

Not sure what I want to plant in it yet. Was thinking of doing a ton of herbs, strawberries, or maybe some tomatoes
It's mostly dead, but here is the Hydroponics thread. There might be some useful info in there if nobody here can help.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3856830

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

w00tmonger posted:

It'll be dependent on what you want to grow and the system you use, but I'd just start with a General Hydroponics or Fox Farm nutrient mix and follow the directions for the volume of water and portion of the growing cycle you're using. A lot of herbs don't love wet feet like strawberries and tomatoes do, so you'd want to do those on a different timer where they can dry out more between cycles.

No one really uses the hydro thread anymore.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I'm looking to dedicate one table in my basement to growing little plants all year around. Do these 18 watt plant lights really work for replacing sunlight?

Can you grow plants with zero sunlight?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Illegal indoor weed operations did it for decades

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Real hurthling! posted:

Illegal indoor weed operations did it for decades

I know what not to google.

I just want to collect different wild flowers in the forest and see if I can get them to flourish in flower pots. As opposed to tradition, store bought flowers. But I don't want them to die off because the lamp I got was some sort of homeopathic feel-good sunlamp.

I checked a store page, and it had a winter lamp for regular flowers to survive over the dark seasons. And then a summer lamp for indoor growing.

And that just feels like a scam to me.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Depends on the plants. Some have more specific seasonal requirements than others. Many plants require a cold or low light dormancy, less water at certain times, etc.

As for your forest flower plan, it will probably work fine. Things in the forest are already used to growing in the shade of trees so they tolerate low light better. Most traditional houseplants are tropical forest plants for that reason, they're nice all year long and tolerate your home conditions well.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

I know what not to google.

I just want to collect different wild flowers in the forest and see if I can get them to flourish in flower pots. As opposed to tradition, store bought flowers. But I don't want them to die off because the lamp I got was some sort of homeopathic feel-good sunlamp.

I checked a store page, and it had a winter lamp for regular flowers to survive over the dark seasons. And then a summer lamp for indoor growing.

And that just feels like a scam to me.

https://www.amazon.com/Growstar-Spectrum-Greenhouse-Gardening-Flowering/dp/B07315FTRS

I have one of these for keeping my peppers happy and growing out of season. The newest models come in almost entirely white LEDs now, and they'll be plenty to grow things like it's summer conditions. I would also recommend warming pads or some way to keep your indoor forest garden warm enough to keep the plants happy else they'll end up trying to go dormant anyway. Flowers are much more particular than things like lettuce and tomatoes. Cheaper LED shop lights are what I use for lettuce and greens, they don't need much bright light.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

You can start a lot of seedlings with a $9 LED shop light. Getting stuff to flower or fruit depends on nutrients, temperature, cold/heat cycles and light, plus all of the above PokeJoe pointed out (for example some plants only sprout after forest fires, but liquid smoke can get em going). If you can id the plant, it’s pretty easy to find growing requirements.

Sounds like a fun and worthwhile project! I need something to do during the winter after garden season is over and have been eyeing something similar.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Jhet posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Growstar-Spectrum-Greenhouse-Gardening-Flowering/dp/B07315FTRS

I have one of these for keeping my peppers happy and growing out of season. The newest models come in almost entirely white LEDs now, and they'll be plenty to grow things like it's summer conditions. I would also recommend warming pads or some way to keep your indoor forest garden warm enough to keep the plants happy else they'll end up trying to go dormant anyway. Flowers are much more particular than things like lettuce and tomatoes. Cheaper LED shop lights are what I use for lettuce and greens, they don't need much bright light.

Wow, 150 watts. That's a lot.

I live in Sweden so I'm not sure what adapter I would need.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

Wow, 150 watts. That's a lot.

I live in Sweden so I'm not sure what adapter I would need.

For flowering and fruiting plants, yeah. It's what's necessary if I want them to fruit in a controlled environment for ease of seed saving. If just plugs into the standard wall outlet here, so just the regular adapter. For understory flowers and plants you can get away with using LED shop lights though that come in at a lower power use. The ones I have there are about 3ft/1m long and put out plenty of light to grow leafy greens happily and would probably be about the right amount of light for shade plants.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

Some fruits like citrus just drop all the flowers/fruits they can't support iirc so I don't think it's really necessary to prune them
Apples don't, most stone fruits don't AFAIK. They define "support" as "as many as I can set fruits on". Doesn't matter in home gardens, matters a lot in orchards.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The chipmunks in my new yard are smart enough to get into my strawberry beds but too loving stupid to get out. So when something comes by to startle them (which is just about anything, the cute fuzzy dumbasses are incredibly high strung) they sprint into the bird netting, turning the mesh into thousands of devastatingly effective snare traps.

Not only did I have to pull out three of the jerks (euthanizing two), the fuckers had already chomped on the berries.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

If they get destructive, rat traps baited with raisins, sat underneath a milk crate worked wonders for me last summer.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Yeah, as cute as they are that's a dirt nap forest friend all day in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Friends, Romans, countrymen. What are your go-to marching orders when you get some baby plants from your local grocery store, etc? Dunk them in water, spray em with vinegar, replant? I was at the store and I saw a bunch of nice looking pepper plants for cheap so I got 'em.