Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
President of the devil hunter club wasn’t lying about being chainsaw man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
All I could think of after finishing this chapter.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

DeadBonesBrook posted:

All I could think of after finishing this chapter.

lmao

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Something that I'm curious how it'll play out...

Asa just defied Yoru to her face, abandoning their shared mission. As in, the reason Yoru didn't just kill her outright.

That's going to chance the dynamics a lot going forward. Either Yoru can't kill her, and then Asa's not under threat, or...

Well, Asa should really hope Yoru can't kill her.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

This is very rare these days, a straight up action chapter.

I like the really thoughtful stuff on the series, but sometimes you just want to see a chainsaw motorcycle doing sick stunts.

Asa rules. It is interesting, sometimes I don't think Denji was ever the protag, for how rare it is that he's the pov character. It has been mostly other characters whose heads we've explored. We see him do a lot of action, but even in the first run of the comic, it was usually someone else's head we were in.

I do enjoy when we do see what's in Denji's head, though, because he isn't really as dumb as he seems.

Also, I've been wondering, what's up with the setting? There's been a few things mentioned going on in the background of the world that directly contradict what came before, and I know better than to think it's a lapse. is the implication that Control Freak is still at it, or some other devil is doing things?

DicktheCat fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 10, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Something that I'm curious how it'll play out...

Asa just defied Yoru to her face, abandoning their shared mission. As in, the reason Yoru didn't just kill her outright.

That's going to chance the dynamics a lot going forward. Either Yoru can't kill her, and then Asa's not under threat, or...

Well, Asa should really hope Yoru can't kill her.

There is also the fact that Asa is being hunted likely because of her. Even if she killed Asa then... what? She is left without a body and likely easy pickings for those hunting her.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Yoru is a big softy who could never bring herself to kill Asa. She'll just continue lying to herself about how this useless loser is somehow vital to her goals, no matter how obvious of a fig leaf it becomes.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Yoru's goal as originally stated was to get Chainsaw man to vomit up nuclear weapons. He cannot do this if he is dead. Yoru is so dumb that she totally forgot about this.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

lol denji's pep talk was very motivational just not in the way he intended

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZiegeDame posted:

Yoru's goal as originally stated was to get Chainsaw man to vomit up nuclear weapons. He cannot do this if he is dead. Yoru is so dumb that she totally forgot about this.

She wants to weaponfy him. Presumably a weaponfied CM can be forced to vomit up nukes.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

ImpAtom posted:

She wants to weaponfy him. Presumably a weaponfied CM can be forced to vomit up nukes.

She wants to weaponify Denji so she has a weapon powerful enough to beat up Chainsaw Man and force him to vomit up nukes. She is completely unaware of the major flaw in this plan.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
yoru is legit dumb because her pitch to asa was "kill him and you'll be free!" despite being approx. 10 seconds from being murdered by horrible devils

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZiegeDame posted:

She wants to weaponify Denji so she has a weapon powerful enough to beat up Chainsaw Man and force him to vomit up nukes. She is completely unaware of the major flaw in this plan.

Oh you are right.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

yoru loves and respects asa, just like the readers of chainsaw man. simple as.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Very annoying it isnt in the US Viz app yet

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

It is though? Viz's Shonen Jump app is different from their new general manga app.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is? Make sure you have thr right app, they have split it for some reason.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

yeah they put their new subscription in the old app and spun up a new app for the existing shounen jump subscriptions

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Of course they did, why would I expect to see things in the same Viz app ive read in for the last 2 years. I loving hate when a thing I pay for gets made way more obtuse for no clear reason.

Sure enough there it is in the SJ app, when previously the Viz app showed me all this. DUMB.

e: it is quite literally a color swapped app of the Viz manga one, why viz why, pointless annoyance.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 10, 2023

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
edit: nevermind

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

It's so they can charge a separate subscription fee for both.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I don't mind the differentiation. Paying 1 fee in 1 app to access all manga would be good, but Shounen Jump gets you access to the SJ titles and some back catalog stuff. The Viz app is for broader manga. Pricing them equivalently makes sense and allows you support specific niches directly. Could they have just had different sub tiers in 1 app? yea probably, but I am not going to complain about this when other manga companies are doing some INSANE "points & ticket" based chapter rental situation. I appreciate the simulpub SJ manga and enjoy subscribing to it like I would a print magazine.

ZiegeDame posted:

This is true, but its not like you'd have just got all the new viz stuff for the same price as SJ, it would increase the SJ sub to like 5 bucks or whatever. Now it is 5 bucks but split across 2 subs.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I'm mostly annoyed functionality that existed in the Viz app disappeared without me understanding it was going to happen. My SJ subscription always allowed me to read those chapters in the Viz Manga app. Is it a big change? No, I got the other one and read the chapter, but yeah just seems silly especially when the apps themselves are indistinguishable from one another besides the coloring of the menus (red vs yellow). I'd understand and appreciate it more if there was a functional difference between the apps to the naked eye.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I've only ever had the specific SJ app, I didn't realize Viz even had another app that people were using to read the SJ stuff until this controversy.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

And I now learned the app I have been using is the "new one" , even though I've been using it for 2 years. :iiam:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

And I now learned the app I have been using is the "new one" , even though I've been using it for 2 years. :iiam:

The SJ app was released back in 2013 even!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZiegeDame posted:

Viz got emboldened by Kodansha's lovely manga app.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

I mean it is like $5 a month. It is still pretty fuckin good

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Not a good take, Viz simply differentiated their different manga catalogs by app, offering a very very reasonable sub price for each.

Everyone needs to read what Kodansha is proposing, its a loving disaster:

quote:

There are many manga apps — such as VIZ Manga, Manga Plus and Crunchyroll Manga — that offer a select number of chapters for free before users are then prompted to sign up for a subscription. K Manga, on the other hand, does its free option a little differently.

Kodansha’s new app has ticket and point systems, allowing readers to unlock additional chapters.

For instance, the app offers “Normal Tickets,” which are given to users daily, and “Premium Tickets,” given to users three or four times per day through login bonuses or by watching video ads. Normal tickets can only be used on one title whereas premium tickets last three days and can be used on multiple titles.

One ticket unlocks one chapter. Users can only use their tickets on titles with the orange ticket symbol next to them.

Points are another way for users to unlock chapters. Like tickets, these can also be earned by watching ads — each advertisement gives users 50 points. K Manga also grants them five points if they read certain titles.

Once a user unlocks a chapter with points, they can access it indefinitely through their account. And if a user runs out of points, they can always purchase them with real money. One point costs 1 cent, so users can spend $1 and get 100 points.

However, one downside is that one chapter can cost either 69 or 99 points. The number of points per chapter varies, depending on the title and when the chapter was released. (Older chapters typically require fewer points than newer chapters.)

The app also offers some titles that offer “always free” chapters, the company noted, and don’t require tickets or points.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Honestly I just wanted to bring up Kodansha's app

Cause maaaaan it is so disappointing.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

like manga plus bad or what

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I'm so pissed since Drifting Dragons got removed from simulpub on Azki due to this lovely app being released

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

copy posted:

like manga plus bad or what

Someone did the math in another thread, but for the price of subscribing to both Viz and SJ you get 7 chapters in Kodansha's app.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Someone did the math in another thread, but for the price of subscribing to both Viz and SJ you get 7 chapters in Kodansha's app.

that sucks and is like twice what pay-per-chapter manhwa apps like tapas/tappytoon charge. viz stays the best way to read comics officially

copy
Jul 26, 2007

what doesnt suck is chainsaw man. chainsaw man ftmfw

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Sucky App Devil just popped into existence

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

Sucky App Devil just popped into existence

A cousin of the Grifting you with accessories you should have gotten in the box devil

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How is the translation quality of it?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Witch Hat Atelier is going to the K Manga app and translation is stopping by the current group, so this news about how bad it is makes me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ugusername
Jul 5, 2013
Man Fujimoto really thought that people couldn't relate to a literal trash eating teenager that wanted boobs. So he gave us Asa.
Yeah my man, that is actually me. I look for cm every week to affirm my existence now fr fr