Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'm looking forward to the various living primarchs being reintroduced over the next decade and having a meeting where Lion, Bobby, Dorn, Jaghtai, Vulkan, and Russ are all discussing the weird things they're now able to do with warp fuckery... and in walks fully Daemon Prince of the Emperor Corvus Corax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

well if it's £2.99 I'm noy waiting for my next credit.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Enjoy! Best BL book I've listened to in years

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
my headcanon is that big e is actually a thousand psykers playing the worlds most high stakes game of Twitch Plays Pokemon.

No but seriously, I think his thing is that he was never created to be a ruler. He was created to be a guard dog. And he's VERY good at it: shard or not fucker went toe to toe with The Void Dragon. He's singularly focused with improvement and adaptation to be ever better at killing the poo poo that would harm Terra and Humanity. When Slaanesh was murderfucked into existence and cut humanity off from each other the guard dog went loving insane with the knowledge that all nobody could be saved and all of his work was for nothing. So now the guard dog believes that the master of the home can no longer take care of itself and needs to be the one on the leash. Unfortunately Murder and Make Things Better At Murder are not really talents that make for an effective ruler, even if he can fake it by blasting peoples with brains with psychic power until they think he's good at his job.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Black Griffon posted:

well if it's £2.99 I'm noy waiting for my next credit.

Have fun, I&D is an absolute banger.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

My suspicion is that GW does want to do a reset of 40k similar to how they killed the Old World and started Age of Sigmar. They have it planned for very far out, like 2030 or even later and are slowly going to bring back all the primarchs on both sides before doing a huge event like the HH or Siege that ends in the climactic battle to end all climactic battles before hitting the reset button.

Basically now that they have started down the path of moving the setting forward they've kind of locked themselves in because it can't end any other way. So either they completely stop moving forward again and stick with a new status quo, which is bad for the bottom line, or they keep upping the stakes until they are forced to end it and reset.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Flytrap posted:

my headcanon is that big e is actually a thousand psykers playing the worlds most high stakes game of Twitch Plays Pokemon.

No but seriously, I think his thing is that he was never created to be a ruler. He was created to be a guard dog. And he's VERY good at it: shard or not fucker went toe to toe with The Void Dragon. He's singularly focused with improvement and adaptation to be ever better at killing the poo poo that would harm Terra and Humanity. When Slaanesh was murderfucked into existence and cut humanity off from each other the guard dog went loving insane with the knowledge that all nobody could be saved and all of his work was for nothing. So now the guard dog believes that the master of the home can no longer take care of itself and needs to be the one on the leash. Unfortunately Murder and Make Things Better At Murder are not really talents that make for an effective ruler, even if he can fake it by blasting peoples with brains with psychic power until they think he's good at his job.

I think he's a weapon of Humanity, symbolically and Warpically. That excerpt with the C'Tan shard telling Cawl that the Emperor is not a God but a weapon, a lot of people interpreted it as meaning the shard was either lying, or referring to the Emperor being made in the DAoT as a weapon for humanity, something to do with the Men of Gold stuff.

But I think the C'Tan shard would be talking in the context of the War in Heaven that was the major event of its existence, when the C'Tan and the Necrons fought against the Old Ones and their creations, including Eldar and the Warp weapons that were their purpose in the Old Ones' designs; the "Gods" they were able to think into existence in the Warp. Krork would have been the actual "soldiers" of the Old Ones.

In that sense the C'Tan shard saw Easy E as a weapon in the Warp, created by Humanity, in pre-history. A fire against the encroaching darkness.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 9, 2023

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

D-Pad posted:

My suspicion is that GW does want to do a reset of 40k similar to how they killed the Old World and started Age of Sigmar. They have it planned for very far out, like 2030 or even later and are slowly going to bring back all the primarchs on both sides before doing a huge event like the HH or Siege that ends in the climactic battle to end all climactic battles before hitting the reset button.

Basically now that they have started down the path of moving the setting forward they've kind of locked themselves in because it can't end any other way. So either they completely stop moving forward again and stick with a new status quo, which is bad for the bottom line, or they keep upping the stakes until they are forced to end it and reset.

I hope it ends with the nids just eating everything

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

D-Pad posted:

I think this was the intention before 8th edition and the return of Guilliman/creation of Primaris were meant to be a launchpad for that, but the launch of AoS was so fantastically borked that they aborted and went with the “soft reset” of 8th edition and the Great Rift/Indomitus Crusade storyline instead. AoS seems to be doing better now but so does 40K so they probably don’t see a pressing need to reset anymore.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Who knows what will come out of the big Pandemonium plotline that Abnett is setting up.

Paddyo
Aug 3, 2007
Have any of the AOS novels released over the past year or so been any good? Audible shows good ratings for Scourge of Fate and Dominion, but I don't know either of those authors.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

In a lot of ways, Horus Heresy and Necromunda were the equivalent of the AoS reset.

By setting up a distinct playpens for players who'd get mad about primaris or radical changes to the lore, they can go A LOT crazier with 40k. They're basically lore nature preserves for old players, which I appreciate.

I doubt it was intentional, but it worked out super well.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I've never cared much about the Heresy but I am interested in the scouring so I hope they do some stuff in that setting.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

sharknado slashfic posted:

I hope it ends with the nids just eating everything

I don't know why they don't just pack up a bunch of races and move em to a new galaxy and introduce new races there. I always thought tyranids winning would be a good vehicle for the that narrative. Necrons should just peace out imo but I just finished the Twice Dead King Ruin today and get culturally why they don't. I'm hyped for book 2. I'm a counselor I found Oltyx's self imposed DiD and body trauma super fun to read. Also cool characterization of the flayers which I assume will play a big part of book 2 because obvious reasons if you've read book 1.

Necrons are all social emotional and medical trauma

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I think he's a weapon of Humanity, symbolically and Warpically. That excerpt with the C'Tan shard telling Cawl that the Emperor is not a God but a weapon, a lot of people interpreted it as meaning the shard was either lying, or referring to the Emperor being made in the DAoT as a weapon for humanity, something to do with the Men of Gold stuff.

But I think the C'Tan shard would be talking in the context of the War in Heaven that was the major event of its existence, when the C'Tan and the Necrons fought against the Old Ones and their creations, including Eldar and the Warp weapons that were their purpose in the Old Ones' designs; the "Gods" they were able to think into existence in the Warp. Krork would have been the actual "soldiers" of the Old Ones.

I think this is a really excellent read of it.

The aspect of The Emperor currently receiving humanities warp juice is the Warlord who turns into the Dark King when he gets interred. He only became known to wide swathes of humanity as "The Emperor" in his warlike state one which he

quote:

detests this unfortunate aspect: a golden king, idle upon a golden throne. He dislikes seeming to be the very thing he has emphatically opposed. I have always known him to be very deliberate in his presentation. Over the millennia, he has worn many masks, each suitable to the task at hand. His mind, his greatest gift, allows him significant flexibility in such things. He has appeared as male or female, or neither, as child or elder, peasant or king, magician or fool. He has been an entire cartomantic arcana, for the Master of Mankind is also a master of disguise. He has performed all of these roles well, with delicacy. He has been humble when humility was needed, gentle when softness was the best device, sly, amiable, reassuring, commanding, caring. He has been terrible when terror was the only recourse, and sometimes meek in order to inherit the Earth. He has been whomever and whatever it has been necessary to be. No one has ever seen his true face, or learned his true name.

unfortunately that mask is how humanity knows him so thats whats getting powered up by the chaos juice flying around

quote:

In that sense the C'Tan shard saw Easy E as a weapon in the Warp, created by Humanity, in pre-history. A fire against the encroaching darkness.

I think this is spot on. The imagery of burning chaos back or keeping hounds at bay with fire (the warp) is pretty common when discussing the Emperor and the Chaos Gods history. He went over to Molech and I think the gods explained the relationship humans and other psychic races have to the warp i.e. your emotions are amplifed and belief can be weaponized and he promised to feed the gods humanity in exchange for power, but instead decied, or always wanted to try and save it.

Thats why the Primarchs were never told and everything was so ruthlessly suppressed. He wanted to starve the gods and weaken them by making humanity believe in a physical logical world.

I was re-reading The End and The Death and they lay it out pretty cleanly:

quote:

During the years of global unification, it was often necessary for him to manifest as a warlord, because humans respond to authority when they are frightened or confused. During the period of galactic reclamation, he was obliged to stride among the stars in the guise of a warrior-king, armoured in gold, for that was the version of him that his young sons best understood. He had to seem like them, yet more glorious, so he could command their loyalty, their respect, and their devotion. It was war, so he became warlike. They would not have followed him otherwise, or obeyed his instruction. They would have doubted. He needed to be able to command them to the very ends of the stars, to secure their obedience across unimaginable distances, and sustain unswerving devotion even after he had left them.

So he played that card: the Emperor. It was a version of himself that he found quite odious, but they rejoiced in it. They saw what they wanted to see.

His sons committed utterly to the material war, and were so fortified and resolute that he felt he could leave the completion of the work to them. Because he had to return. Time has never been his ally. He had to leave his children to conclude the material war among the stars and return to this seat underground, for the immaterial war had to be fought simultaneously. One victory was nothing without the other.

After Ullanor, he set that guise aside with relief. He set aside the plate, the helm, the incomparable blade, believing he would not need the aspect of war-king again, for he had left the material war in their capable hands. In the hands of his chosen successor. His sons…

He's got his little helpers out trying to claw all of Humanity together to shove em into a lovely, jury rigged section of the Webway just to get them away from the chaos gods but it goes to poo poo because the chaos gods flip the script and decide to start poking holes into reality instead of watching their juciest warp food leave.

The sons are

quote:

instruments to brandish torches and keep the darkness at bay as it comes at [The Emperor] from every angle.

The absolute core problem of 40K though is something that struck me when I read this passage

quote:

‘The Emperor is the shield and protector of humanity, Euphrati, but what is His shield? Us. We are. It is reciprocal. He protects us and, through our faith and perseverance, we protect Him. We are one and the same, mankind and Emperor, Emperor and mankind, souls bound together. We are together as one or we are nothing.’

‘All right then. I think He does have a plan, and it is contingent on us believing in it. Our hope in it, our faith in it, makes it happen. We are the plan and the plan is us. They are not separate things. The Emperor doesn’t have a plan that, if we perish, will still come to fruition. The plan is us.’

If big E dies, he becomes the Dark King, a type of god in this universe like Khaine. Humanity would fight and die believing in and juicing the Dark King, an aspect He never wanted and a future he sought to avoid. Whats interesting though, is does the human Big E come back....but now we have an actual big ol warp entity totally divorced from where it came from?

Big E started out with fire keeping the shadows back, decided technology was too volatile and that his way to secure a future from humanity independent of the warp was to use humanity and genetically engineer his Unification and Crusade. The gods came and corrupted his players before big E managed to secure a scalable foothold in the Webway, but even that may have been ok if not for Magnus. He def doesn't want to birth a new human based chaos god by dying tho.

(was the DaoT a failed gambit at the same play in 40k? prolly not but a fun thought and I think Malcador spoke the words about how creating primarchs without emotion would be like automatons)

Big E is fighting a Great Game style war with the warp gods and his ultimate plan for humanity, but has lost the physical realm. He could reset by throwing it all away if he wanted to and go back to gathering humanity tribe by tribe with sticks and stones until he manages to create another galactic empire with appropriate levels of technology, Malcador ponders the thought before realizing the Vengeful Spirits shields are down.

None of this is particularly impressive or special until Samus takes a closer look

quote:

this is mere repetition.

The cycle, the dawn and the nightfall. It will happen again, and it is happening everywhere. It is trivial. A dynastic quarrel. A fight between nests of insects that I might step over, without noticing, on my long walk to somewhere else. Unless…

Unless one of them finally notices what is possible. What might be accomplished here. The potential, the beautiful potential, which, though none of them sees it – none of them – is closer at hand than they realise. I can almost taste it. It is closer than it has ever been, closer than it was even in the un-times of the war that broke heaven.

He is specifically talking about Big E getting humanity out of the warp game and ascending. He's watched the War in Heaven come and all the psychic races go, the Eldar rise so high and fall birthing Slaanesh and countless other races that petered out or became corrupt. The Chaos Gods always win, unless Big E can figure something out.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Paddyo posted:

Have any of the AOS novels released over the past year or so been any good? Audible shows good ratings for Scourge of Fate and Dominion, but I don't know either of those authors.

Scourge of Fate is a solid Chaos POV story with a character of the unaligned faction and has a whole bunch of comments about the other factions/pantheons.
There's even a Chaos Knight jousting tournament at one point!

As for other books the Gotrek series is good. If you've read any of the classic Felix & Gotrek books you know what you'll get when you read his new adventures in the Realms.

Spear of Shadows is a bit dated by now, but it served as a pretty good introduction to the setting in the wake of the 2nd edition improvements to the fluff and lore of it. It's reads a bit like an RPG adventure like Dragonlance, complete with a quest for a magical macguffin and other factions chasing after it at the same time.

A real solid choice is the Hamilcar book, which is the AoS equivalent to a Ciaphas Cain book. Complete with the main character being a boisterous loudmouth who bluffs his way through issues and usually survives on a mix of luck and skill.

Beyond Hamilcar I haven't really read all that much Stormcast fiction, so can't say much about Dominion (or any of the other new edition books).

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

EmbryoSteve posted:

I don't know why they don't just pack up a bunch of races and move em to a new galaxy and introduce new races there. I always thought tyranids winning would be a good vehicle for the that narrative. Necrons should just peace out imo but I just finished the Twice Dead King Ruin today and get culturally why they don't. I'm hyped for book 2. I'm a counselor I found Oltyx's self imposed DiD and body trauma super fun to read. Also cool characterization of the flayers which I assume will play a big part of book 2 because obvious reasons if you've read book 1.

Necrons are all social emotional and medical trauma

My dream side setting would be "actually the two lost primarchs and their legions took a massive gently caress off fleet to Andromeda and they are just arriving now. Here is a horus heresy size series about them arriving in a brand new galaxy with unique races and flavors of chaos and politics and they've got to conquer it from a much less stable and smaller position a la the Tau with none of the baggage of the last 30 years of lore."

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Cooked Auto posted:

Scourge of Fate is a solid Chaos POV story with a character of the unaligned faction and has a whole bunch of comments about the other factions/pantheons.
There's even a Chaos Knight jousting tournament at one point!

As for other books the Gotrek series is good. If you've read any of the classic Felix & Gotrek books you know what you'll get when you read his new adventures in the Realms.

Spear of Shadows is a bit dated by now, but it served as a pretty good introduction to the setting in the wake of the 2nd edition improvements to the fluff and lore of it. It's reads a bit like an RPG adventure like Dragonlance, complete with a quest for a magical macguffin and other factions chasing after it at the same time.

A real solid choice is the Hamilcar book, which is the AoS equivalent to a Ciaphas Cain book. Complete with the main character being a boisterous loudmouth who bluffs his way through issues and usually survives on a mix of luck and skill.

Beyond Hamilcar I haven't really read all that much Stormcast fiction, so can't say much about Dominion (or any of the other new edition books).

GodEater's Son is a pretty good book about Chaos in terms of cultists and tribes.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I am dipping my toe into AoS and am 12% into Spear of Shadows so I can report back later. I read Soul Wars a while ago so I have a general idea of what's going on.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

A completely different state of the immaterium is a really fun concept. The setting likes to play around with concepts like eternity and the relatively of distance and the entirety of existence and such, but even spaces that are supposed to comprise everything all over the place in the same instant feel somehow confined, and my headcanon is that there is something infinitely more powerful and strange beyond the bounds of the galaxy. Even the immaterium is like a bubble, a vast, endless realm that still pales in comparison to the universe. After all, if the Four are reflections of the material, they reflect a whole lot of one specific galaxy.

What if the warp was in some ways conquered by the materium, for example? Or what if the great gods never emerged and the warp was somehow even more chaotic? What if it was just... dead? A billions year old battleground of some war in heaven where archeologists trawled and explorers searched for artifacts containing a quantum of magic in a galaxy where no psykers or sorcerers ever emerged? Maybe chaos won and devoured itself and just now the prime races of the galaxy are rebuilding their empires in a nightmare patchwork existence where every second star system is the immaterium present in real space?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Waroduce posted:

really excellent read

Something that extremely supports this post is that Horus(?) tricks him into assuming his Warrior Emperor guise with the Vengeful Spirit's shield gambit.

We know from Malcador's speech that he absolutely didn't want to, but it's an essential step if the ruinous powers want him ascended into the Dark King.

Which was the trap all along. Horus wasn't setting the trap, he was the bait. Crippling the emperor in that guise and throning him is the best possible outcome for Chaos.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Keep in mind that there is no guarantee that Malcador has a true version of the Emperor's real motives and designs. The best scam any con artist can ever pull is to tell one person that hey, "YOU are the only person in on my act, pal!"

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

D-Pad posted:

My dream side setting would be "actually the two lost primarchs and their legions took a massive gently caress off fleet to Andromeda and they are just arriving now. Here is a horus heresy size series about them arriving in a brand new galaxy with unique races and flavors of chaos and politics and they've got to conquer it from a much less stable and smaller position a la the Tau with none of the baggage of the last 30 years of lore."

okay do we think that the chaos gods as we'd recognize them extend into other galaxies

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Malcor seems like a pretty insightful guy, but the Emperor is a liar. One consistent is that his words absolutely don't align with his actions; He sure practices a lot of divinity for a guy who claims not to be a god.

Either way, Horus got him to go full blown God Emperor. Whether that was "oh no not the briar patch" or a genuine coup remains to be seen.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I just reread end and the death and I still couldn't figure out if malcador has completely bought into the emperor's bullshit or if he is acting as an unreliable narrator and propagandist feeding the reader bullshit. Abnett did an extremely good job with those parts.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

D-Pad posted:

you might like this

Waroduce posted:

couldnt c/p off the page sorry

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

D-Pad posted:

Coming this fall: Warhammer 40k Andromeda

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Waroduce posted:

you might like this

Goddamn the name "Dragon's Blood" sucks so much at least "Dragon's teeth" has some mythological precedent.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

moths posted:

Something that extremely supports this post is that Horus(?) tricks him into assuming his Warrior Emperor guise with the Vengeful Spirit's shield gambit.

We know from Malcador's speech that he absolutely didn't want to, but it's an essential step if the ruinous powers want him ascended into the Dark King.

Which was the trap all along. Horus wasn't setting the trap, he was the bait. Crippling the emperor in that guise and throning him is the best possible outcome for Chaos.

Daemons refer to Horus as the Sacrificed King. The initial theory on that was that, per the Cabal’s vision, the Chaos Gods intended that Horus lose in order to cause the stagnant, decaying future. But a more direct reading informed by EATD is that they intended that Horus die to trigger the ascent of the Dark King.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Goddamn the name "Dragon's Blood" sucks so much at least "Dragon's teeth" has some mythological precedent.

Sounds like the author had a thing for Exalted.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Waroduce posted:

He went over to Molech and I think the gods explained the relationship humans and other psychic races have to the warp i.e. your emotions are amplifed and belief can be weaponized and he promised to feed the gods humanity in exchange for power, but instead decied, or always wanted to try and save it.

Thats why the Primarchs were never told and everything was so ruthlessly suppressed. He wanted to starve the gods and weaken them by making humanity believe in a physical logical world.

The other perpetuals have mentioned that he was essentially just one of them back in the day, maybe more powerful, and ambitious, but he wasn't like he is now, after Molech. But the perpetuals must also be a part of this, though they're a controversial part of the lore. They're almost like Him.

Him being Alexander is really interesting. Alexander was a great general but his Empire fell apart after he died during his peak, so what did the Emperor/Alexander do at that point? Disappear into the background for a bit after faking his death? Maybe he did die and reincarnated?

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 10, 2023

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Brendan Rodgers posted:

The other perpetuals have mentioned that he was essentially just one of them back in the day, maybe more powerful, and ambitious, but he wasn't like he is now, after Molech. But the perpetuals must also be a part of this, though they're a controversial part of the lore. They're almost like Him.

No "maybe" about that, the being who would become Emperor was always a lot more powerful than any of others according to Erda, and Erda herself was strong enough to fight what were implied to be four Greater Daemons simultaneously, though it left her exhausted and helpless afterwards.

Funnily enough, the one Perpetual every one of them apparently liked best was Ollanius, the "weakest" of them all.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Chaos in Warhammer owes a lot to Michael Moorcock, and I think the Perpetuals do as well. There's some of the Una Person and Jerry Cornelius books in their portrayal

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Warden posted:

No "maybe" about that, the being who would become Emperor was always a lot more powerful than any of others according to Erda, and Erda herself was strong enough to fight what were implied to be four Greater Daemons simultaneously, though it left her exhausted and helpless afterwards.

Funnily enough, the one Perpetual every one of them apparently liked best was Ollanius, the "weakest" of them all.

We've never really seen what he can do besides persuade people and fight well. Ollanius was quick enough to put a knife in Emps back when they were working together, so he might have more in the tank.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

The one “human” trait the Emperor is consistently shown to have is sentimentality towards his early days (ie pre-DAOT). He allowed both John and Erda to live unharassed after pretty serious betrayals. He also saves a lot of relics from his earliest days, including some with no strategic purpose. Part of the Hall of Leng is basically a museum to his past.

Once he started on Unification he became a lot more ruthless (see his purging of the Thunder Warriors) but he retained a sort of sentimentality towards his old friends and companions that prevented him from acting directly against them.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Him being Alexander is really interesting. Alexander was a great general but his Empire fell apart after he died during his peak, so what did the Emperor/Alexander do at that point? Disappear into the background for a bit after faking his death? Maybe he did die and reincarnated?

Maybe he wanted spread the Greek influences across that portion of the world so ~something ~ does or doesn't happen in the future

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

lonelylikezoidberg posted:

Isn't that a type of incense/tree

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

Isn't that a type of incense/tree

Hell yeah it is.

If a warhammer fanfic writer had any sort of actual knowledge they'd be shouting it from the rooftops, no way it would be any sort of allusion the reader was left to discover.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmZGQzttyLg

My god Forgeworld Graia cannot catch a break. Boltgun is literally a semi sequel to the 2011 Space Marine game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

The one “human” trait the Emperor is consistently shown to have is sentimentality towards his early days (ie pre-DAOT). He allowed both John and Erda to live unharassed after pretty serious betrayals. He also saves a lot of relics from his earliest days, including some with no strategic purpose. Part of the Hall of Leng is basically a museum to his past.

Once he started on Unification he became a lot more ruthless (see his purging of the Thunder Warriors) but he retained a sort of sentimentality towards his old friends and companions that prevented him from acting directly against them.

Hmm. Yes and no. there is a level of sentimentality there, though his museum might also owe to his arrogance and sock-smelling.

He also kept -genetic genocidaires- in store instead of killing them, so I believe that giving the other Perpetuals some space after falling out was at least partially motivated by "Hey, I might need their talents later. Just let them cool down for a century or seven, I can use them again."