Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

certainly seems like a set up to be shanks' brother at least, or something similar, we still know nothing about the man's family or history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

the second character has horns, I don’t think anyone in shanks crew has horns

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Obviously the silhouette is a Shanks that grew back from the lost arm.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

*eyes Vegapunk with a combination of equal parts revulsion and respect*

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

He's just been faking it really good this entire time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the arm grew another shanks, but shanks didn't grow another arm. so obviously, the arm is the real shanks.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

the arm grew another shanks, but shanks didn't grow another arm. so obviously, the arm is the real shanks.

"Are you Shanks?"

"No this is Patrick"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Blue-Haired Banks.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
its binks, obviously.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

it could also be like a loving Shanks Seraphim or something (S-Hair). or a goddamn clone now that that's been established can happen. anything is possible in one piece land

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean we saw him talking with the Elders so at the very least they probably think he's working for them? I'm curious what the logistics would be though, did he only start working for the government after he stole the Gum-Gum Fruit from them? Or was he the guy transporting it on behalf of the government?

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I mean we saw him talking with the Elders so at the very least they probably think he's working for them? I'm curious what the logistics would be though, did he only start working for the government after he stole the Gum-Gum Fruit from them? Or was he the guy transporting it on behalf of the government?

A major plot hole would finally make sense: Shanks was supposed to transport the gum-gum fruit and "accidentally" lost it. He deliberately gave up his arm to sell the story of his "defeat".

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

luchadornado posted:

A major plot hole would finally make sense: Shanks was supposed to transport the gum-gum fruit and "accidentally" lost it. He deliberately gave up his arm to sell the story of his "defeat".

The government already had that fruit and then Shanks stole it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The government already had that fruit and then Shanks stole it.

To devils advocate, the navy had the fruit, which includes a lot of low level sailors and what, a vice admiral? If you really wanted to make something disappear, you wouldn't put it in a bureaucracy, you'd have it get stolen, and then accidentally lost eaten by a random kid on an island no one's heard of.

It does more fully resolve a few plot points,
- How him showing up instantly de-escalates any and all conflicts with Admirals and the navy
- How he talked to the Five Elders

, but Shanks to date has been such a force for good that I can't buy into the 'evil shanks' stuff yet. Curious how Oda would reconcile him being both a pawn of the World Nobles and also happy-go-lucky pirate emperor. Shiloutte is obviously intentional.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Seeing Morley, a badass revolutionary queen, fighting Aramaki, the most overtly fascist of the current Admirals (yes, even more than Akainu, IMO. At least, Akainu isn't a Celestial Dragon fanboy) is very satisfying. I hope Morley tore him apart

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

luchadornado posted:

Do people really think "Shanks got hurt real bad protecting someone" is a plot hole now.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They've been thinking it for years

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Lotta people seem to think One Piece operates on DBZ logic where if someone weaker than you punches you in the face, you not only take zero damage but your face doesn't even move cause you're immune to physics. Thus it makes no logical sense how Shanks could ever lose an arm to a creature that Chapter 1 Luffy was able to beat in one punch, despite the numerous times in the series characters have taken hits because Haki is an active thing the user has to maintain and not just permanent 24/7 super armor. Like there's multiple fights where Luffy almost dies cause he wears himself out using Haki too much even!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Drakkel posted:

Lotta people seem to think One Piece operates on DBZ logic where if someone weaker than you punches you in the face, you not only take zero damage but your face doesn't even move cause you're immune to physics.

https://youtu.be/8TM7XMr1WNI

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lmfao

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For real though I just wrote off Shanks' arm as a power creep thing but that theory makes enough sense that I'd be happy if it turned out to be correct in some way.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
I always just assumed Shanks lost the arm because he was totally wasted. Just completely and utterly blasted. They did just finish drinking all the liquor in windmill village after all.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

To devils advocate, the navy had the fruit, which includes a lot of low level sailors and what, a vice admiral? If you really wanted to make something disappear, you wouldn't put it in a bureaucracy, you'd have it get stolen, and then accidentally lost eaten by a random kid on an island no one's heard of.

It does more fully resolve a few plot points,
- How him showing up instantly de-escalates any and all conflicts with Admirals and the navy
- How he talked to the Five Elders

, but Shanks to date has been such a force for good that I can't buy into the 'evil shanks' stuff yet. Curious how Oda would reconcile him being both a pawn of the World Nobles and also happy-go-lucky pirate emperor. Shiloutte is obviously intentional.

The fruit was being transported on a government ship, not a navy ship.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

but Shanks to date has been such a force for good that I can't buy into the 'evil shanks' stuff yet. Curious how Oda would reconcile him being both a pawn of the World Nobles and also happy-go-lucky pirate emperor. Shiloutte is obviously intentional.

I'm assuming Oda is aware of the "evil Shanks" theory that's been floating around for a while online and wants to troll readers for a bit first.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

mabels big day posted:

we got the most important truth which is that Karasu is sick

He has a bad coal'd

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Drakkel posted:

Lotta people seem to think One Piece operates on DBZ logic where if someone weaker than you punches you in the face, you not only take zero damage but your face doesn't even move cause you're immune to physics. Thus it makes no logical sense how Shanks could ever lose an arm to a creature that Chapter 1 Luffy was able to beat in one punch, despite the numerous times in the series characters have taken hits because Haki is an active thing the user has to maintain and not just permanent 24/7 super armor. Like there's multiple fights where Luffy almost dies cause he wears himself out using Haki too much even!

you say DBZ logic but goku got ganked in resurrection F
Also that bit where krillin threw a rock at him

E: and thats exactly the video that got linked lmao

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Drakkel posted:

I think people tend to make that assumption because that was basically true of all the other Emperors we've seen. Kaido and Big Mom were pretty much impervious to actual physical damage - the heroes had to resort to attacking them from the inside with Law's fruit/haki - and Whitebeard was implied to have been on the same tier before he grew old and sick.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

In terms of Shanks' motivation, I think it would make some sense if his reason for working with the government is that he doesn't want the One Piece to be found. He didn't reach Laugh Tale but Roger did tell him something, and maybe there's some consequence of its discovery he wants to avoid. He basically did nothing while Big Mom and Kaido's stalemate largely guaranteed that no-one could find it, and only started moving once that balance was broken. Now there's a real threat from both Luffy and Blackbeard he wants to get there first and prevent someone else from finding it and 'changing the world'.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Inadequately posted:

I think people tend to make that assumption because that was basically true of all the other Emperors we've seen. Kaido and Big Mom were pretty much impervious to actual physical damage - the heroes had to resort to attacking them from the inside with Law's fruit/haki - and Whitebeard was implied to have been on the same tier before he grew old and sick.

Even if Shanks is that powerful now, that was like 15 years ago.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I think CP9 killed Cobra to make Sabo look bad and I also just decided Dragon is the Man Marked by Flames for no reason at all other than it would be very convenient for Luffy and kind of funny if he just gives the last poneglyph to his son to apologize for 19 years of absence.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

speaking of, why is the ex cp9 crew even up there? they aren’t in uniform so i assume they either joined the revolutionary army or somehow got all the way to mary geoise on their own??? am i forgetting an important detail somewhere?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
They all have white suits so I assume they're all CP0 now too.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i think shanks is pretty likely to be aware of the significance of the gum gum fruit, the prophecies around joyboy, and that roger was too early to find one piece. he's making a move for the one piece now because luffy (who is joyboy) is, and has some awareness of the significance of that and wants to take advantage of that happening in some way (or maybe even prevent it?).

if we do end up getting 'shanks works for the government' (which i doubt it'll be at all that straightforward even if it goes in that direction) it'll probably relate to his origin as a child found in a chest at god's valley by roger, which feels like a weirdly significant detail to have just been dropped in a promo thing for film red. god's valley, god's knights...?

notwithyourheart posted:

speaking of, why is the ex cp9 crew even up there? they aren’t in uniform so i assume they either joined the revolutionary army or somehow got all the way to mary geoise on their own??? am i forgetting an important detail somewhere?

seems like they're just confirmed to be in cp0 now too (after one of the films non-canonically did i think). lucci/kaku/stussy were at the levely back when we were first there like 200 chapters ago to serve as security for the celestial dragons so it turns out the rest of cp9 were there too

lih fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 11, 2023

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

i guess i could see those being white cp suits. seems more casual to me. jabra definitely dressed himself though.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is it possible Shanks was the one who told the Elders about the significance of the fruit? I can't remember how the timing lined up on Shank's conversation vs the later one the elders had about it.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

lih posted:

they're cp0, they were at the levely back when we were first there like 200 chapters ago to serve as security for the celestial dragons

ah that makes much more sense. thank you very much.

e: i don’t usually forget one piece so i think i better bang out a full reread just to be safe

notwithyourheart fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 11, 2023

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

HerraS posted:

The fruit was being transported on a government ship, not a navy ship.

Oh fair enough. Suppose the point still stands that it could be a plan to dispose of the fruit by feeding it to a random person in a small village no one's heard of. Probably not Luffy, but he does steal the fruit from them.

I'm personally still sold on the theory that Shanks (and maybe even Buggy) is Xebec's kid(s). It mirrors to perfectly with the Ace/Garp situation and timeline matches up perfectly. As well as explaining why the Roger Pirates had babies traveling with them. Absolutely no clue how that could reconcile with the God Knight business.

Shanks losing his arm falls under that kind of """plot hole""" to me. Where it's not really a hole, plenty of in-universe ways you could explain it away, but is something that is off just enough that it could be more elaborated on.

Biggest asset One Piece has is that Oda has managed 1,100 some chapters with consistently satisfying revelations that build and bolster the world. It's fun to speculate on, partly because there's a certainty that the eventual answer is going to be satisfying regardless if you're right. I And half the time he pulls something out of left field completely that's still great. One Piece good.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

The revolutionaries wanted to destroy the food supply, Shanks was there for the booze supply

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
I'm about to watch the anime adaptation of Shanks meeting wtih the elders, to try and see what i can assume from that so i go "i will find the chapter it happened in and then the wiki will tell me what anime episode adapted it" and the answer was "this episode adapts the first 4 and last 3 pages, and the previous episode adapts the middle pages". loving amazing lol

this sure is one of the OPs of all time

Yup, Shanks is in a cloak that kinda looks like the one when Dragon talks about the knights. He came in in it so nobody knew who he was except the Elders. Wanted to talk about a specific pirate and then next time we see the elders they wanna destroy a light. What is Shanks cooking

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
https://twitter.com/OPcom_info/status/1656631197047586816?s=20