Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I think I like it because it works for the super-hero themeing, where the characters are resourceful, not necessarily well resourced. The cards feel to me like what the heroes can do in their specific situations, and sometimes that's just eat poo poo. I think the game eventually feels plenty active when you can start knocking enemies around and pulling beams on their head and stuff too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd rather have a guaranteed set of tools than something random (I know, :xcom:, but it's the difference between shooting and missing and not being able to shoot at all to me), and I don't like deckbuilders

Again, I have zero clue if this is even applicable to MS lol, I just saw em and decided no thanks

Thanks - I can kind of get that, I think. Any guy feeling on how much of it is the abstraction vs. how much is the unreliability? Like, would you have the same feeling about a game where all your interactions were based on the kinda of nearby environmental objects?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Irony.or.Death posted:

Thanks - I can kind of get that, I think. Any guy feeling on how much of it is the abstraction vs. how much is the unreliability? Like, would you have the same feeling about a game where all your interactions were based on the kinda of nearby environmental objects?

If it was a guarantee that I could interact with that object if I approached it, that's fine. I just don't like engaging with shuffling or deck mechanics very much, or the idea of what I can do on a given turn being essentially random chance, which is why I don't mind when it pops up in XCOM 2 with the resistance orders. Dark Messiah of XCOM is an amazing concept for a game though, someone should get on that lmao

I'm sure Midnight Suns is a fine game, Firaxis are great devs, it's just not a game for me

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

The problem is that people like to go back to 'cards' despite the fact there is no evidence anywhere that people despise cards and to be honest I never heard the 'I refuse to play any game with, ugh, cards in them' until it became the rallying cry for XCOM fans angry XCOM3 wasn't next on the docket.

Like it is much easier to point to the Marvel burnout and weird release date or bad marketing or the mistaken impression it was Microtransaction City or the blunt fact that ' Midnight Suns' is a name that means jack poo poo even to most Marvel fans.

Edit: And since this sounded kinda lovely, not trying to say anyone is obligated to like cards or whatever, just that I don't believe it is particularly widespread that cards = neverplay.

For me it's more that I associate card games with more irl stuff like Magic the Gathering, which turns me off from cards in video games cause there's a certain kind of lovely optimization in irl CCGs that I heavily dislike.

I didn't actually pick up Slay the Spire until after playing this game specifically cause I was turned off by the card aspect, and tbh, I don't like Slay the Spire as much as I hoped I would because it's a deckbuilder roguelike and from what I've put into it's a little too dependent on random factors as to whether or not completing a particular run is even possible. That game feels like it's "keep trying until you get lucky enough to get a good deck built" which kinda spoils the fun moment to moment gameplay for me.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

TheCenturion posted:

For me, there's a difference between 'you get to pick your own actions in the game, but the game itself is trying to win' and 'here's your randomized list of actions for this turn, figure out the smartest thing to do with them.'

I like the first one, I don't like the second one. Other people have their own preferences. It's all good.

But they're very different approaches to player engagement.

It's personal preference. I feel the oposite. Turn by turn seeing what you have and using it optikally without relying to much on flimsy probabilites feels really good.
But then again I 100%ed Fights in Tigh Spaces so I knew that already.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

One big QoL improvement I'd have loved to see would be to pivot the control of the active hero to whichever card you've selected to play (not just scrolled through in your hand), but haven't actually played.

So many times I've tried to move someone to do a shove without realizing I had a card selected and end up playing the card instead, usually for a different hero.

Hell, change the shove indicator from the red circle used for targeting enemies with cards to a yellow circle or something, just to visually differentiate it.

I also feel like the Hero Ops are a bit underbaked. I've basically stopped going for Intel caches to get copies of lovely cards for my underused heroes I don't mind not being available, and just buy whatever intel I need from the Shield Exchange.

Also, please make arcane keys purchasable at the exchange. So many Epic and Legendary chests sitting out there - I want a Hunter combat boost every mission, dammit.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'd take being able to select shove someone or something w/o committing to a move beforehand, sometimes I waste a move action trying to get my hero where they can throw something where I want them to

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."

JBP posted:

I personally like that every turn in midnight suns is an efficiency puzzle using what you have on hand.

This. I love trying to figure out how to juggle moves, positioning, environmental weapons, card refunds, to maximize number of actions each turn. I love that as I've gotten better, my heroes gained passives that made it more possible to create long turns. I always feel powerful, but in XCOM there's always a chance my dudes are just gonna biff it and miss an easy shot and it just feels bad to me.

One thing I'm surprised by is that heroes' relative physical strength is not accounted for in environmental damage. Cap smashing you with a crate should hurt way more than Magik doing the same move. Some cards temporarily boost a hero's env damage, but it's not the same.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I have 60 hours in this game and I dislike the “cards are inherently bad” attitude as well but the majority of the people I know who shat on this game without giving it a chance did so because they heard the game had cards and microtransactions and concluded 2K was gonna charge you for booster packs. I’d say the bizarre business structure of “we added microtransactions to buy the outfits from the deluxe edition instead of just offering an edition upgrade like every other game” hurt this way more than just the concept of having cards in it.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Pirate Jet posted:

I have 60 hours in this game and I dislike the “cards are inherently bad” attitude as well but the majority of the people I know who shat on this game without giving it a chance did so because they heard the game had cards and microtransactions and concluded 2K was gonna charge you for booster packs. I’d say the bizarre business structure of “we added microtransactions to buy the outfits from the deluxe edition instead of just offering an edition upgrade like every other game” hurt this way more than just the concept of having cards in it.

The season pass or the legendary edition gets you the costumes though, which seems kinda analogous to the edition upgrade you mention.

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

I would pay many dollars to find out what happened during the delay they had for this game. Did they build it with microtransactions and have to rip them out after the Avengers tanked? Did they have to rebuild the open world movement? Did they have to make Hulk a playable character suddenly?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Chairchucker posted:

The season pass or the legendary edition gets you the costumes though, which seems kinda analogous to the edition upgrade you mention.

Exactly! So why offer the exact same cosmetics as microtransactions!? Fuckin’ 2K.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The Midniter posted:

One big QoL improvement I'd have loved to see would be to pivot the control of the active hero to whichever card you've selected to play (not just scrolled through in your hand), but haven't actually played.

So many times I've tried to move someone to do a shove without realizing I had a card selected and end up playing the card instead, usually for a different hero.

Hell, change the shove indicator from the red circle used for targeting enemies with cards to a yellow circle or something, just to visually differentiate it.

It's annoying, but the game autosaves every turn so if you make a wrong move you can just reload.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

bobtheconqueror posted:

For me it's more that I associate card games with more irl stuff like Magic the Gathering, which turns me off from cards in video games cause there's a certain kind of lovely optimization in irl CCGs that I heavily dislike.

I didn't actually pick up Slay the Spire until after playing this game specifically cause I was turned off by the card aspect, and tbh, I don't like Slay the Spire as much as I hoped I would because it's a deckbuilder roguelike and from what I've put into it's a little too dependent on random factors as to whether or not completing a particular run is even possible. That game feels like it's "keep trying until you get lucky enough to get a good deck built" which kinda spoils the fun moment to moment gameplay for me.

I can understand thst feeling but STS is actually pretty consistently winnable to the point the best players can win hundreds of games in a row on the hardest difficulty. The only iffy factor is The Heart and that is intentionally unbalanced and optional.

But a lot of that comes from time and learning the mechanics. Like hell high level STS play even when between 'have the smallest possible deck' to 'take what you need at this exact moment' as people got better.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I can understand thst feeling but STS is actually pretty consistently winnable to the point the best players can win hundreds of games in a row on the hardest difficulty. The only iffy factor is The Heart and that is intentionally unbalanced and optional.

But a lot of that comes from time and learning the mechanics. Like hell high level STS play even when between 'have the smallest possible deck' to 'take what you need at this exact moment' as people got better.

Not to get too off track, but I've managed to win the default mode with the robot guy and the rogue, but the warrior guy has been a nightmare. I've managed to get to the third tier boss a few times but I've probably done 20 runs with that character and never gotten the sort of combos I need to power through the end. I've looked through the cards and I've seen some good combos, but they just don't show up. I've managed to win as the warrior guy in the custom mode, but that was with modifiers to get some early access to good cards.

Hryme
Nov 4, 2009
For me the card game was fine. It was all the other stuff that made me dislike it. I am not enough of a marvel fan to give a poo poo about the social interactions and it just ended up being a chore for me. And the collection stuff made me very annoyed.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

bobtheconqueror posted:

Have you tired Monster Train? I like it better than StS because you can do a run way quicker.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

itskage posted:

I don't believe that's always the case in this thread. There's a lot of discussion about why the game flopped commercially, and there's a lot of aspects to this game that could contribute to that. I think when we try to discuss those criticisms, people start trying to defend the game from those explanations. Then through those arguments the criticisms are mistaken for thread making GBS threads.

E: or it is actual thread making GBS threads stemming from responding to arguments.

When I checked the Steam reviews on release day, there was a swell of negative reviews focused on the Denuvo protection. I’d identify that, plus the unnecessary microtransaction system and the high initial price point, were the things that killed the initial sales (though marketing may have been an issue, too). The other major factor was the Firaxis-standard jankiness, whether that be the inevitable set of bugs on release or graphical glitches that persist (cape wonkiness, for example) in a game without much demand on graphics.

The ongoing narrative about the dialogue being poo poo (usually without examples or explanation) is the other prevailing trend I’ve observed. People who hate cards never played the game and people open to the mechanics generally seem to like them.

It’s true that there’s a bunch of decisions made in the design that can be fairly criticized: insufficient enemy variety, the early game is too much on rails and can’t be skipped past (unlike XCom), the conversation system and the story missions reduce the replay value. I don’t know if they thought people would focus on only a few heroes and replay to focus on others; the game seems designed in the expectation you don’t grind side missions too much, especially in that the gameplay loop discourages you from just running those random missions because that means skipping a lot of Abbey content.

I just note that most of these criticisms come from people with a fair number of hours played. Low sales have presumably been driven by the initial responses and not from the mostly positive reviews of people who played much of the game.

RBA Starblade posted:

I'd rather have a guaranteed set of tools than something random (I know, :xcom:, but it's the difference between shooting and missing and not being able to shoot at all to me), and I don't like deckbuilders

Again, I have zero clue if this is even applicable to MS lol, I just saw em and decided no thanks

I have never drawn a hand in Midnight Suns and been unable to attack.

And people forget how XCom 2 first played, without fixes, features, and mods. Aside from the long pauses during certain actions (a bug that also made a guest appearance in MS), the LoS mechanics were very janky on initial release. Moving to hide and discovering an enemy could shoot through a wall or floor to hit you was almost as frustrating as discovering that the spot you’d moved to had no LoS on a target. That latter problem has since been solved, but initial release XCom definitely had those “not being able to shoot at all” situations.

Frankly, the mod community was crucial to XCom’s success.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
XCom 2 runs better, more reliably, faster and with better QoL features on my 2 year old, low-mid tier mobile phone than it ever has on my PS4 (I haven't installed it on PS5 yet), which is frankly embarrassing.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
As someone who is bad at card games, initially I had a ton of bad draws because I didn’t know what I was doing or how to build a team. The difficulty curve basically started high and got much easier as the game got on even with increasing the difficulty as it recommended.

Honestly, one of my bigger criticisms is that the heroes aren’t balanced that well but I haven’t played since the first dlc.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Started a new run now that all the DLC is out, and man, this game feels so cozy. The quick battles, the puttering around the Abby, feels so good. It's the gameplay loop of a Bioware game but slimmed down in a good way. I know we'll probably never get another game like this, but I'm glad it exists.

Also, this guy's QoL mods are dope: https://www.nexusmods.com/marvelsmidnightsuns/users/176915637?tab=user+files

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Is there a mod that just massively boosts glamour point gains?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

Is there a mod that just massively boosts glamour point gains?

Gloss? The buffed collectibles mod will make the little nodes you find around the Abbey drop more: https://www.nexusmods.com/marvelsmidnightsuns/mods/163?tab=description

The default is 250 per node but there's an alternate that makes it 1000, so with that you'll probably end up with more of every resource than you could ever use.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Little disappointed nobody modded in more enemies or turned any of the heroes into new bosses or something yet. Feels like we probably aren't going to see any big mods for this game, just QoL and outfit stuff. Kind of a shame.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Skippy McPants posted:

Started a new run now that all the DLC is out,

This doesn't seem to be true, unless it came out early on Steam or something.

EDIT: Nope, not seeing it on Steam either.

EDIT: The devs referred to this as 'Season One' of DLC a couple times on the developer stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_kMhVVLJrQ and I am joining a number of other people in hoping that's a hint that season 2 is coming.

Chairchucker fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 11, 2023

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Chairchucker posted:

This doesn't seem to be true, unless it came out early on Steam or something.

EDIT: Nope, not seeing it on Steam either.

EDIT: The devs referred to this as 'Season One' of DLC a couple times on the developer stream https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_kMhVVLJrQ and I am joining a number of other people in hoping that's a hint that season 2 is coming.

Sorry, almost all out. The Storm DLC will be out by the time I'm up to the point in the story where it unlocks.

A second round of DLC seems very unlikely, but if they wanna do it I won't say not.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

FYI Storm DLC is live on Steam. 19.3 GB

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Hulk Smash! posted:

FYI Storm DLC is live on Steam. 19.3 GB

Live on Playstation, too, currently waiting for it to download.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
was hoping the season pass would get a promo along with the base and deluxe game getting one but guess that didn't happen

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

One of the best DLC episodes and I was glad there was a proper resolution to the ongoing storyline.

But all that stuff teasing more is going to come to nothing right? I can't imagine there's going to be more DLC given the sales.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
I'd argue that they prob already have something on the pipeline way before the release unless the sales were that abysmal that they pull the plug

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also, the narrative on MS has drifted a fair bit since its rocky release. It'll probably end up a cult hit, though who knows if that's enough to get more DLC or a proper sequel.

Even if we don't get more, what's more comic book than loose plot threads and unresolved cliffhangers? On. Brand.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm really satisfied with the roster, both mechanically and thematically.

But, if they wanted to give us, say, Daredevil, Moon Knight, Elsa Bloodstone and Kate Bishop I wouldn't say no. And, despite the chud adoption of his iconography, The Punisher, with explicit reference to his spooky stuff, would be fun too.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Well, there's a spot, bottom right on the hero screen, where it's missing someone to make the whole thing symmetrical. There's room for one more surprise DLC hero.

C'mon Moon Knight

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Hulk Smash! posted:

Well, there's a spot, bottom right on the hero screen, where it's missing someone to make the whole thing symmetrical. There's room for one more surprise DLC hero.

C'mon Moon Knight

There's room enough in the Abbey for 20 heroes to have their own sleeping space, so I assume they planned two "seasons" of DLC. Whether or not we get that is certainly up in the air.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Honest Thief posted:

was hoping the season pass would get a promo along with the base and deluxe game getting one but guess that didn't happen

This is so annoying because I bought the game at full price. I know it's not feasible but I wish there was a way to designate that and get a discount season pass as a result.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

WarEternal posted:

This is so annoying because I bought the game at full price. I know it's not feasible but I wish there was a way to designate that and get a discount season pass as a result.

yeah like sell an upgrade version or smth because I'm sorry but 50 bucks for the season pass is too much for what it offers

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Enjoying the DLC additions so far. When I heard they didn't plug into the main story, I kinda expected them to be zombies at the Abbey, but there's a surprising amount of interactions and reactive dialogue with the other characters.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Deadpool’s dialogue is legit funny. Don’t care for his gameplay though.

Storm is strong, especially when you’re rolling Goddess’s Blessing x2. I get she’s got the “elder stateswoman” vibe going on from a character standpoint but it doesn’t quite mesh with her Punk outfit which is objectively the best one.

I wish there was a way to earn credits faster - rerolling mods gets expensive fast and I can’t be arsed most of the time to run to the forge to create new copies and start the cycle over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Midniter posted:

I wish there was a way to earn credits faster - rerolling mods gets expensive fast and I can’t be arsed most of the time to run to the forge to create new copies and start the cycle over.

Increased Mission Rewards X2 - X20
Buffed Collectable Resources

gently caress grinding.

Edit: oh, and Bad Mods Be Gone is the best if you want to avoid grinding. It flat-out removes all the lovely mods from the table and only leaves the stuff you actually want on cards. Warning: this will make characters insanely overpowered as it allows stacking power mods to a degree that is normally only possible in the post-game unmodded.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 13, 2023