Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Catching up on Birdie Wing status: I was a fool for ever thinking it would calm down even a little just because it's at Golf High School and not Mafia Golf now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
is modern gundam still about war/slight space economics, or did it move onto matters dealing with other space stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

GateOfD posted:

is modern gundam still about war/slight space economics, or did it move onto matters dealing with other space stuff.

The current one is more about space capitalism with war being omnipresent in the way modern day capitalist countries engage in "low level" conflicts. So war is everywhere but conveniently distant from the gated communities perpetuating the wars for profit.

There hasn't been a giant war yet but it's a situation that could very quickly lead to one breaking out.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the modern ones are mostly political thrillers, whether theres an actual war on or not

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
going back to watch some seasonal anime that i just passed over because forgot about them. Even though I been seeing talk about them in this thread.

watched magical destroyers ep1 and in the process of Yuri is my Job.

Magical Destroyers was okay. I probably try to watch a few more episodes to see the rest of the cast.

Yuri is my Job looking decent. I do like working/job anime. And the cast looks quirky enough. Loved the kabedons lol. The script looks good.

Episode 1
I can kind of get why the purple haired one is annoyed by the new girl. It can be really irritating when the new employee keeps messing everything up at your job.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GateOfD fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 12, 2023

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think the mafia stuff is less exciting in Birdie Wing than the high school, because they keep going back to the one scenario, usually at the same location, of Eve getting challenged by a dastardly golf cheater, who Eve then effortlessly beats. There's just never any tension in the golf here.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
If only she had better moves than pocket sand.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I dunno it was super amusing that Eve just crushed her, especially after Char's new student crushed her. It shows Eve is beyond Mob golf now and is ready for pro's

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah i dont think there was meant to be that much tension, it was meant to be eve freeing herself. the emotional through line was more shrimp (i also forgot her name) willing to go that far for her and proving herself as eve's reliable partner.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Saotome... ssu

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kamikatsu with the bold move of rolling credits after 9 minutes.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

W-was it at least a joke credits type of thing? Maybe the joke was us all along (for watching it).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Is that heavenly delusion show worth a watch? The clips I've seen of it look very well animated

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Is that heavenly delusion show worth a watch? The clips I've seen of it look very well animated

I've heard good buzz about it, though you should be warned that the manga goes to some very dark places.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Arc Hammer posted:

Yes, it's been very good so far.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

I've heard good buzz about it, though you should be warned that the manga goes to some very dark places.

Dark in what way, exactly? Thematically dark or shock value dark?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Arc Hammer posted:

Dark in what way, exactly? Thematically dark or shock value dark?

Hard to see anything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mordja posted:

Hard to see anything.

Dammit I hoped that Disney+ had fixed their HDR issues.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres some sexual assault stuff in the manga (how its handled goes up and down but i never thought it was like, completely shock value worthless) but i dont think the anime will get there

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well, I might give it a shot and see for myself whether or not the rest is worthwhile even with that. Still, ehhhhhh.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
It's one of my favorites this season so far. I'm especially surprised by the animation quality and visuals in general. It also doesn't hurt that it has a banging OP. I'll wait with judging the story for the end but it's at least intriguing so far, and the main characters are likeable.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Endorph posted:

theres some sexual assault stuff in the manga (how its handled goes up and down but i never thought it was like, completely shock value worthless) but i dont think the anime will get there

assuming 6 episodes left, unless they slow down the pacing substantially, they are going to get to that

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Julias posted:

Yes, it's been very good so far.

Yeah, this and the gundam have been the standouts of the season for me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ringo Roadagain posted:

assuming 6 episodes left, unless they slow down the pacing substantially, they are going to get to that
im sure people will be normal about it

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
Yamada: Proposal to retooi this show to "Akane and her wacky guild mates, featuring Momo and the girl who told Yamada to stop sandbagging and git gud"

Seriously, Yamada needs at least a little personality other than asexual autist

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

pointlessone posted:

Yamada: Proposal to retooi this show to "Akane and her wacky guild mates, featuring Momo and the girl who told Yamada to stop sandbagging and git gud"

not sure how you had your eyes closed for six minutes straight but if you rewatch the most recent ep you might see some interesting scenes!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

pointlessone posted:

whats wrong with that

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

presumably the lack of mention of the autist's actual interests or thoughts other than "well you can mark sex off the list"

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the autist's actual interests

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The 7th Guest posted:

whats wrong with that

It's really, really dull for a romantic comedy lead.

If I wanted to watch someone be completely awkward around women, I'd just start videoing myself.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean the whole idea of yamada is that he actually cares about akane hes just unused to showing that kind of thing. hes the one who kickstarted the romance by going out of his way for her in multiple ways. its weird to act like hes awkward or doesnt understand what going on.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i just wasnt sure if asexual was being used as an insult -____-

i do get that a lot of dude leads in romcoms/romance anime are not the most unique or interesting characters but i'm pretty used to it at this point (one of my favorite shoujo anime is skip beat and, well, the dude leads... well... lol)

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The 7th Guest posted:

i just wasnt sure if asexual was being used as an insult -____-

i do get that a lot of dude leads in romcoms/romance anime are not the most unique or interesting characters but i'm pretty used to it at this point (one of my favorite shoujo anime is skip beat and, well, the dude leads... well... lol)

Not intended as an insult, it could actually be a very interesting place to go with characters, if the expectation was set anywhere. Instead, we're half way through the season and this guy's just a slab of mono syllables and flat expressions, with the only active progression into a relationship has been being a protective friend and hauling a printer fixing her computer (and the really weird ganking a hair clip scene). Maybe his random childhood friend will smack talk him into figuring out what's going on, she seems blunt enough not to play the stupid games.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

The Colonel posted:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Colonel posted:

Death of the Autist

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Yamada's a great straight-man. And it's clear that he's actually concerned about her when she gets bamboozled into the meetup with the weirdly obsessive fandude. I dont think it'd be as fun if his demeanor wasn't so flat and direct. It's a nice contrast since the college student is the one kind of a mess while he's a little too rigid and neat despite being younger.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

pointlessone posted:

Not intended as an insult, it could actually be a very interesting place to go with characters, if the expectation was set anywhere. Instead, we're half way through the season and this guy's just a slab of mono syllables and flat expressions, with the only active progression into a relationship has been being a protective friend and hauling a printer fixing her computer (and the really weird ganking a hair clip scene). Maybe his random childhood friend will smack talk him into figuring out what's going on, she seems blunt enough not to play the stupid games.
i think you're projecting a lot of your own weird insecurities onto the anime boy tbh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yamada is moe

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Gap Moe is real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Starting to wonder if male romcom leads are actually boring or if people are just projecting, generally.