Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's spring! My apple tree, in its second year, is blooming. I probably won't let it set fruit this year, but I may succumb and let it.

On the down side, all three of my citrus, the oldest two years old, are dying. I'll rebuy and replant. For this time, I'll do a better job of screening them from the sea winds and be sure to plant them deeper. I'm grumpy about the Meyer lemon, which was very healthy last year, but the Thai lime and variegated calamondin lived a year in their deep, narrow nursery pots, and hadn't had a chance to get their roots in. https://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/

Nice rainwater tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Nice rainwater tank
Oh, I wish. That's the well tank. Doesn't rain here between May and September.

One the garden beds are actually built, someday I pray, we'll be screening the tank with jasmine. Right now we're going though massive regrading because the house is halfway down a hill. I'm going to have L-shaped foundation levels of concrete.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Friends, Romans, countrymen. What are your go-to marching orders when you get some baby plants from your local grocery store, etc? Dunk them in water, spray em with vinegar, replant? I was at the store and I saw a bunch of nice looking pepper plants for cheap so I got 'em.

Immediately depot, gently remove all dirt from the root structure and repot in a medium I trust. For peppers, for me, this means putting them in the ground.

If they're seedlings or the soil looks like real soil and not packed with styrofoam or some such, I would leave the root ball alone, but I've found that grocery store potting medium in particular is garbage and hides insects or worse.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Shifty Pony posted:

The chipmunks in my new yard are smart enough to get into my strawberry beds but too loving stupid to get out. So when something comes by to startle them (which is just about anything, the cute fuzzy dumbasses are incredibly high strung) they sprint into the bird netting, turning the mesh into thousands of devastatingly effective snare traps.

Not only did I have to pull out three of the jerks (euthanizing two), the fuckers had already chomped on the berries.

I had that happen with chipmunks last year. My double layers of chicken wire and plastic deer netting with weeds growing between turned into a fantastically effective rodent choker.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The place I had tomatillos planted last year has now sprouted a ton of new plants. And here I thought I had collected everything. So either the peas there can out compete most of them or I’ll manage to miss some of the plants and end up with tomatillos there for August again.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Quick question: We're about to get slammed with 2" of rain. I have some very new just sprouted dill, basil, and cucumber seedlings coming up in my planters.

Is it a good idea to put them under the eaves where they are mostly sheltered from the deluge? Or will those little things be ok with all that water in a 24 hr period? (The buckets are good drainers, at least. )

I moved them there for the hail last night and was going to move them back to their sunnier spots, but realized I might need to move them back again tonight.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

2” of rain in 24hrs is nothin. They should be fine. If they’re real spindly and leggy or you just want to be cautious, under the eaves would definitely be safer though.

E: oh yeah if they’re already under the eaves for sure just leave them and pretend it’s because it’s the right thing to do and not because you’re lazy

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Which other methods of violence work against squirrels if I lack an airsoft rifle? The fat little dipshits are getting cheeky and climbing on my 4th floor balcony where I have my blueberries, grapes, mulberry, and white currant.

Placing bird netting sounds like it won't be enough unless there's some that can catch the varmints before they get to my fruit.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

That Old Ganon posted:

Which other methods of violence work against squirrels if I lack an airsoft rifle? The fat little dipshits are getting cheeky and climbing on my 4th floor balcony where I have my blueberries, grapes, mulberry, and white currant.

Placing bird netting sounds like it won't be enough unless there's some that can catch the varmints before they get to my fruit.

This is the gold-standard, and keeps the unfortunate pest out of view when it triggers.

https://www.wildlifecontrolsupplies.com/animal/WCSTUBE.html

https://youtu.be/_e006fzmQnE

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rained a lot and my rosemary got waterlogged and its branch tips started drooping. As it dries out and recovers, should i cut the droops off or just leave it be?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

Rained a lot and my rosemary got waterlogged and its branch tips started drooping. As it dries out and recovers, should i cut the droops off or just leave it be?

Just leave it alone. I have giant always alive rosemary bushes here and it rains for 6 months straight and they don’t really care. It’ll bounce back, or you can cut it, cook with the cuttings, and it’ll keep growing. They only really care about deep freezes.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have two giant rosemary’s next to my sidewalk and passers-by always ask me how to grow them and I don’t know what to tell them. Just leave them alone? I have literally done nothing to them since I planted them 5 years ago. In an appropriate climate rosemary definitely thrives on neglect.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I have two giant rosemary’s next to my sidewalk and passers-by always ask me how to grow them and I don’t know what to tell them. Just leave them alone? I have literally done nothing to them since I planted them 5 years ago. In an appropriate climate rosemary definitely thrives on neglect.

Sounds right to me 👍

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yep, I started some plants from cuttings three years ago and now they’re 2’ tall and I’m afraid they’re going to be enormous this year.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

idk where you live but in my area rosemary is everywhere in urban planters because they can survive all the piss, poo poo, and fentanyl we can dump in them and they keep on smelling fresh

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

idk where you live but in my area rosemary is everywhere in urban planters because they can survive all the piss, poo poo, and fentanyl we can dump in them and they keep on smelling fresh

Pretty sure we’re in the same city, and the planter thing is unfortunately true. But they do really well in the planters here. Mine are tucked away, but they grow really fast here. I’m thinking they may be large enough for them to flower this year as well like the plant they were cut from.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

This season. I swear. I will win the war on dandelions. I will be the first human to do so.

The strimmer started on the first pull after not being used for 2 years

The lawnmower started at all, which is amazing because it's been put away for 2 years and I forgot to shut off the fuel valve.

I picked a bucket of weeds and dandelions out of the gravel paths.

I picked a wheelbarrow of dandelions out of my lawn and the municipal grass field connecting to my lawn. And dumped them all into my ravine.

There is not a trace of yellow for 30 meters in all directions of my lawn. And I am confident in my victory. Technically if they are never permitted to seed and I pick everything yellow and throw it in the soggy ravine. Then I should win.

(The yellow off in the distance is 95% buttercups)

I have a question about thistles. I see more baby thistles on my lawn than I can realistically pull. I heard that they are one season plants. If I keep them from seeding. Will they die off by next season. Or do I have to do that and also gradually pull them all?

My lawn looks terrible. A year ago I redid the drainage system to my house. And in order to get rid of all the surplus dirt. They raised my lawn by half a meter and I have to grow it from scratch. I'm not fanatic about it and I am patient but I don't want thistles.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 11:58 on May 13, 2023

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Why do you need a vast monoculture lawn? If you're not hosting soccer tournaments on the reg, sow some native wildflowers and mow the meadow down after letting it go to seed. Or God, plant an orchard. Give the birds and bugs somewhere to live. What I could do with that amount of space...

I don't know why dandelions get a bad rap. They are edible, great for pollinators, have adorable floofs, and they don't even have burrs or spiky bits like most weeds we pull, or grow so tall you can't walk over them. I'm rooting for the dandelions to win :colbert:

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
Same. I leave the dandelions for the bees.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Alright fine. I forgot about the pollinators. I surrender to the dandelions.

What about my thistles?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Rosemary usually winds up drying out for me in the end. I've got a little baby one under the growlights now though, we'll see how it goes.

And yeah, I am in the pro-dandelion camp. Totally harmless and supposed to be there, unlike the ubiquitous buttercups.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Don't worry those dandelions are regaining their strength and will gang up on the lawn from their new gully home

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Soul Dentist posted:

Don't worry those dandelions are regaining their strength and will gang up on the lawn from their new gully home

A friend told me that the pile in the ravine will have no problem seeding from there, so I lost before I even started.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Feliday Melody posted:

Alright fine. I forgot about the pollinators. I surrender to the dandelions.

What about my thistles?

Pull your thistles in areas you're going to walk, otherwise they like living in places like ravines.

I've been fighting my previously monoculture lawn which likes to just die and leave dead patches because it's not even the right grass for the region. The reseeding with a mix of local grasses and clovers is making it look much nicer, and will be drought resistant which is what I need for July-Sept. If it turns a little brown in August, that's fine. It comes back now with the rain.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

My lawn is like... a hundred years old. It refuses to die. But it's a bit pathetic near the areas where the drainage system is brand new. Probably because all the water vanishes so quickly. But it manages and I don't want to encouraged growth too close to the new parts.

I doubt it's actually going to die but I'll let it struggle to overcome those parts.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

My yard is probably 99% clover and wild flowers. We're on a little two lane road so most people only see the yard at 55+ mph and as long as it is green I'm just fine with it.

One of the guys at work spends so much time on his lawn it kills me. They're in a pretty nice suburb and they all get together in khaki shorts and polo shirts and grill in the driveway with neighbors, etc. He got one of those weight things for his zero turn so he can put patterns in the lawn like a golf course and I'm pretty sure it's nowhere even near one acre. Very funny.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.
I’ve given up on a traditional lawn. I’ve seeded areas with Dutch clover. Not sure where you live if that’s an option.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
I have a sort of weird gardening question. If someone is an ambitious but mostly apartment patio gardener, what is the closest thing to a sword which would be a useful gift for them? Basically I would like to get a friend an engraved thing as a gift, but I have no idea what one really could use when gardening. I think they mostly do like big propagations in potted plants, but don’t like have an actual garden or yard.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Get them a weeding knife.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

E: agreed ^ :v:

Planting knife

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 13, 2023

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Feliday Melody posted:

This season. I swear. I will win the war on dandelions. I will be the first human to do so.
... snip

Have I got some seeds for you. Only $4.30cdn for 548 seeds. You can even get them in pink for a premium $5 / 20 seeds.

My wife has never forgiven me for buying some shosaku gobo seeds one year. Edible Japanese burdock, but they look identical to the local burdock that's arm-wrestling the blackberries for territorial dominance. They're actually a pretty plant but the seeds are absolute hell to get out of long haired dog fur. They're doing so well I'm going to need to mow sooner than I planned to keep them under control. I'll probably just teach them to commando crawl under the mower deck.

Things got torn up pretty good when we had a mini-excavator in this spring. We're trying microclover over the septic tank, wildflower mixes around some of the edges and a local shade grass mixture for everything else because drat those clover and flower mixes are expensive. We've got green fuzz popping up now, some of which are not burdock or nettles so that's cool.

My neighbour is a fan of the mowed estate look so he's been out mowing already. Unfortunately he only has a brush hog for his tractor, no finishing mower, so the results are a bit crude. It's kind of funny. Brush hogs are not subtle implements.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Burdock is the worst if you have animals that you like.

Those dandelions are the ones grown for eating greens too, they're very delicious. The yellow flowers can also be made into dandelion wine, which is delicious as well. Just imagine the posibilities.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pressure cook the leaves 5 min and drink the water as tea. Then saute the leaves with garlic and hot pepper flakes in olive oil

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jhet posted:

Burdock is the worst if you have animals that you like.

Those dandelions are the ones grown for eating greens too, they're very delicious. The yellow flowers can also be made into dandelion wine, which is delicious as well. Just imagine the posibilities.

dont forget cutting up the root, roasting it, and making it into a coffee substitute when climate change inevitably destroys the ability to get coffee for anyone not in the 1%!

Dandelions really are pretty incredible since the entire plant is edible.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We, in our ambitious youth, made dandelion wine once. Sadly it rotted instead of fermenting. And yes, we had made wine before and were very careful about sterilizing containers, utensils, the air lock, and so on.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

dont forget cutting up the root, roasting it, and making it into a coffee substitute when climate change inevitably destroys the ability to get coffee for anyone not in the 1%!

Dandelions really are pretty incredible since the entire plant is edible.

That sounds like a great thing for someone to do that's not in my 300 sq ft of gardening space. Dandelions I just cut for the most part, they're the standard less tasty type, but also not worth pulling out unless they're giants and looking to rot.

I'm still fighting ivy and Himalayan blackberry canes, I don't need another one that I can't control. I'm just glad the previous gardener didn't put in bamboo anywhere. They did put in a load of rocks in two places and I cannot for the life of me figure out why or wtf to do with them.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jhet posted:

That sounds like a great thing for someone to do that's not in my 300 sq ft of gardening space. Dandelions I just cut for the most part, they're the standard less tasty type, but also not worth pulling out unless they're giants and looking to rot.

I'm still fighting ivy and Himalayan blackberry canes, I don't need another one that I can't control. I'm just glad the previous gardener didn't put in bamboo anywhere. They did put in a load of rocks in two places and I cannot for the life of me figure out why or wtf to do with them.

I am fighting: Ivy, Himalayan Blackberry, Golden Archangel, AND bamboo. Every day that I walk into my yard is like a war. I'm slowly winning though. We must have had the same previous landscapers too because there's rocks intermingled in with everything that makes using shovels and cutters misery.

I try not to kill myself by keeping a goal of just filling my city compost full of invasives once a week and then i usually stop myself.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

I am fighting: Ivy, Himalayan Blackberry, Golden Archangel, AND bamboo. Every day that I walk into my yard is like a war. I'm slowly winning though. We must have had the same previous landscapers too because there's rocks intermingled in with everything that makes using shovels and cutters misery.

I try not to kill myself by keeping a goal of just filling my city compost full of invasives once a week and then i usually stop myself.

Not just mixed in. Entire areas of the yard were replaced in rectangular areas with large stones. I have no idea why. They even put a raised bed in the middle of one of the rectangles that are full of 1-3" stones. I want to put in a greenhouse in a spot, so one smaller section is going to get dug out and replaced with soil, but idk why it's there in the first place.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I'd probably work on making a rock pile and turn it into a rockery full of succulents or something. I've done something similar with some of the stone in my backyard and sedum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'd probably work on making a rock pile and turn it into a rockery full of succulents or something. I've done something similar with some of the stone in my backyard and sedum.

I like this idea, I’ll have to build it a cage or steps or something to move them into a big pile.