Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
The movie was kinda, weird and also kinda relied on you playing a Sega Saturn interquel game which of course the US didn't get

I'd probably be less harsh on the movie if it wasn't the only way Nadesico got into SRW anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Dawgstar posted:

Going through my BDs to find I've got Martian Successor Nadesico which I'm happy about and have fond memories of but please refresh my memory: Is it the series that has a terrible ending or is it the movie which was terrible? (Or both, I guess sadly.)

Anecdote: Nadesico had the first character, Izumi, who made me feel really bad for localizers because I think 99% of what she said was wordplay that made sense only in Japanese.

The series is good and has a decent ending but the movie ends on a cliffhanger with a lot of unanswered questions

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Love Nadesico. I read that the Saturn game came out after the movie hit theaters, so it more retroactively answered Qs. Also, I wonder if it's overstated, even though there's only a very sparse SparkNotes one page long summary on the net anywhere, but the playthrough vids don't look so story heavy. So I think the movie starting in medias res with a new status quo is kind of intentional.

I really liked the movie, but for sure it would've been nice if they followed it up.

hexwren posted:

I'm going to read through this thread and start posting when I do, but some of the titles mentioned already, i still think of them as "oh, yeah, that new show for the 2002 season I haven't gotten around to starting yet"

"new"

Anime time is like hyperspace time, it doesn't add up or make sense. It's like some Crusher Joe science. Maybe it's one of those Gunbuster time things.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 13, 2023

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Heavy Metal posted:

Maybe it's one of those Gunbuster time things.
that's just Time Dilation - it's real and it's fantastic

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think prince of darkness was supposed to be the middle part of a trilogy and then the last part never got made.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think prince of darkness was supposed to be the middle part of a trilogy and then the last part never got made.

This, and the first part is a Saturn/Dreamcast game that never got an English release.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Heavy Metal posted:

. Maybe it's one of those Gunbuster time things.
Speaking of, my Gunbuster OVA blu came today, a full 2 days ahead of schedule.

Thanks to whomever it was in genchat that mentiomed it was being released!

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Going through my BDs to find I've got Martian Successor Nadesico which I'm happy about and have fond memories of but please refresh my memory: Is it the series that has a terrible ending or is it the movie which was terrible? (Or both, I guess sadly.)

What movie? There is no Nadesico movie.

Heavy Metal posted:

Anime time is like hyperspace time, it doesn't add up or make sense. It's like some Crusher Joe science. Maybe it's one of those Gunbuster time things.

I still think series that came out in 2009 are new but at this point they're looking inside the oldschool house, huh?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Shows from around 2009 are distinguished, they're in their prime right now. Kaiji is aging like a fine wine.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
Some younger coworkers talking about anime, and they mentioned a "Real old anime called Read or Die" which made me feel very old, cause I remember buying that DVD...

But yeah, apparently that came out 22 years ago, and since they are mid-to-late twenties that makes sense I guess but drat.

Anyways, watch the Read or Die OVA, it is prettygood.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Buffis posted:

Some younger coworkers talking about anime, and they mentioned a "Real old anime called Read or Die" which made me feel very old, cause I remember buying that DVD...

But yeah, apparently that came out 22 years ago, and since they are mid-to-late twenties that makes sense I guess but drat.

Anyways, watch the Read or Die OVA, it is prettygood.

TV series was really good, too. Very well regarded dub. I remember they packed out a big convention hall in LA, I think it was.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Vajira on! Time to rock out, Zenki style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F79FsmWJqeY

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My Gunbuster BD's on its way. :toot: I've never actually seen it but I'm sure I'll like it at least well enough.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Arc Hammer posted:

Whatcha gonna do, little Buckaroo?

Hey you, you better ask her nice!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dawgstar posted:

My Gunbuster BD's on its way. :toot: I've never actually seen it
what

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhScFOYNEoM

I fuckin' love this song to death. The absolute perfect theme for Dragon Ball and its tournaments.

Naturlaly I miss it in the dubbed anime but luckily fans are on it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDEkwFPn3-g

It's been a long time since I was in a DB fandom talking up DB lore but this comment reminded me...

quote:

It was actually Toei’s fault. For some reason when they gave Funimation the show to dub over they removed most of the insert songs. Like 4 songs are still in the Funo dub. They also didn’t give Funimation clean versions of the OP and ED to dub over do they had recreate the instrumentals from scratch and they didn’t give them the NEP and they only gave Funimation the first version of the opening and only the second version of the ending.

Lotta hardcore DB/z fans poo poo on Funi's home releases but whatever you wanna say about Funimation, Toei seems so infinitely worse.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont think anyone will argue that Toei isn't scummy. They might not be Nintendo levels of nasty but they're still litigious and touchy as hell.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's just insane that Latin America got much better material to work with.

They really were like "The US? No one does dubs there who cares"

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

FilthyImp posted:

It's just insane that Latin America got much better material to work with.

They really were like "The US? No one does dubs there who cares"
back then, a license for latin american distribution was probably a few hundred bucks, and hiring VAs was probably even less. get an english->spanish translation from US VHS fansubs and you’ve got a business model!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1666514529214402561

Always heard great things about it, the only flaw is maybe it gets repetitive?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Dawgstar posted:

It's very funny but I'd recommend watching it in small chunks to avoid burnout. The episodes are only a few minutes long, anyways.

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I also remember the dub being problematic in one instance in the second episode (where Kamiyama and Hayashida use the F-slur); but beyond that it still holds up.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dawgstar posted:

jesus christ i can’t believe stuff we were talking about in ADTRW as it was airing is “retro” now but yeah cormartie RULES

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I was always bummed Cromartie was on that poo poo G4 channel instead of Adult Swim where it likely would have found a (somewhat) wider audience it deserved

Korthal
May 26, 2011

I binged Big O recently, and wow, you can see the transition from hand drawing to digital coloring. The digital colors are just way too bright. I'm surprised in 2023 that nobody's tried doing a subdued color pallet retro style anime.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TenementFunster posted:

jesus christ i can’t believe stuff we were talking about in ADTRW as it was airing is “retro” now but yeah cormartie RULES

Honestly I hesitated posting the link because it felt too recent to me as well but then I realized my concept of the passing of time has been shot.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

The live-action movie is fuckin amazing, highly recommend.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've also just discovered there's a BD for the Darkstalkers OVA and it's super tempting even if I know that the middle when it focuses on Donovan and the kid is a giant slog and I'd much rather see Lord Raptor and Felicia duking it out again. (Scott McNeil was so good as Raptor. He needed more time.)

But like I say, even so it's tempting.

Baby I'm a trouble man.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Absolutely, I love those 90s fighting game ones. Fatal Fury and Street Fighter ones are my favs too. Been meaning to revisit all those, Darkstalkers too. Seemed like a high point for licensed game stuff, they even incorporated elements of the Street Fighter II anime movie into the future games.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The problem is for every Street Fighter and Fatal Fury 90's anime you get an Art of Fighting, Battle Area Toshinden, Tekken, Voltage Fighter or....Samurai Showdown

Man the Samurai Showdown OAV annoys me to no end. While not as bad as say Art of Fighting it pisses me off more cause I was expecting so much more and....it's just not good

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

SUCH A SHAME THE EARL OF STROHEIM MAY NOT LIVE WITH SUCH DISGRACE.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

The Street Fighter II movie fuckin' owned.

Sadly the same cannot be said for Street Fighter II V.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heavy Metal posted:

Absolutely, I love those 90s fighting game ones. Fatal Fury and Street Fighter ones are my favs too. Been meaning to revisit all those, Darkstalkers too. Seemed like a high point for licensed game stuff, they even incorporated elements of the Street Fighter II anime movie into the future games.

Absolutely. Even in Street Fighter 6 Cammy does that 'handstand on your shoulders, swing around and break your back' move she did on the British official.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
https://youtu.be/nLdeQHeuHck

i hope they keep making these for as long as akira kamiya draws breath

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
city hunter always yes, angel heart always no.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cat's Eye sure, why not!

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dawgstar posted:

Cat's Eye sure, why not!
that cameo was one of my favorite parts of Shinjuku Private Eyes (next to the brunch at the New York Grill)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That rules. Get wild and tough!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's a YouTube channel that has Cat's Eye up all official like (at least in the States) and I'd forgotten how easy to watch in chunks it is. Hitomi is sort of dating Toshio, who is a cop which is unfortunate, but also Cat's Eye make the cops look like buffoons so net positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/1671612126228783104