Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Outrail posted:

Do those legal email sigs actually stand up in court?

We'd need to see a case where someone sends company information to someone else either in error or the recipient sends information on to people not certified/allowed to see the information. The wording doesn't seem to indicate that it would be grounds for a lawsuit or termination if you sent something to your personal account, that sort of thing would be part of company policy. Most of the time a company like mine has Statements of Work or just straight contracts/agreements in place before we'll send anything more than direct communication. We also created a system for sending technical data so we're not emailing operation drawings and 3D models at random. That's largely because people were emailing drawings to our vendors and occasionally you would get a situation like seanm@humboltmfg.com getting a drawing meant for seanm@humbolt-mfg.com because someone hosed up an email at some point. I used to have this problem where our Vendor Relations guy and a guy at a sister company had names with a single letter of difference and I'd have to be careful every time I sent the Vendor Relations guy something because the autocomplete would assume the guy at the sister company was supposed to get this, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

Sormus posted:

Goons, I remind you of the time I posted a parody of a stupid Please Think of Trees Before You Print email thing with awful large signature and other cliches.
Today I actually received it, from our Group's Marketing Communications Manager

Lol. My required signature is 2X longer than that.

This new position is odd... it's been over a month, and I still am missing a bunch of accesses I need. But I am expected to also start doing the parts of the job I can, but end up having to rely on others for the stuff I can't because either I don't get it or can't access it.

It's a lot of hurry up and wait. But it seems like it will be not nearly as stressful as my last position, and everyone is really kind and helpful. So far, happy with the move.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Outrail posted:

Do those legal email sigs actually stand up in court?
There's some legal precedent that as long as the sending company can make it clear something was sent in error they get out of the hot water of certain bid fixing investigations or accidentally making private intellectual property public.

I don't know if a signature has ever been taken to court for that purpose but it's pretty obviously less powerful than an immediate followup mail "oops this isn't yours, delete it immediately." So it's mostly meant to be a final bandaid for when a person is stupid and doesn't realize it. That's also exactly what someone under investigation for bid fixing would say after accidentally on purpose sending their bid to their conspirator so :shrug:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The modicum of IP protection it gives is really only useful when someone is elbow deep in the patent system already. Stuff has still gone out to the world before you meant it to, the patent office can just be convinced to look the other way and pretend it didn't happen.

If they're doing trade secrets and not patents for their product protection, you're in trouble; but nobody should be emailing that poo poo in the first place.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

As someone who works in the field I really appreciate you guys refusing to go into the office and making traffic worse, don't give up the fight lol

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Our company just rebranded, with new name and logo. It’s just “random name solutions” now. It’s so generic that they couldn’t even get the .com domain and had to go with the .co. They also didn’t mention the upcoming logo change before we ordered 48,000 stickers with the old one on it.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Sormus posted:

Goons, I remind you of the time I posted a parody of a stupid Please Think of Trees Before You Print email thing with awful large signature and other cliches.

What, no 800x600 portrait pictures of your face and huge social media icons/links to your company? Shameful, those illiterate, blind boomers will never get your business.

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Escape From Noise posted:

<<armpit_enjoyer posted:
It's not what they say about me, it's about others being able to perceive sub-par work and associate it with my name. I'm yet to lose the ability to give a poo poo even though it never got me anywhere>>

I identify with this

Hitting home. My job is a mix of consulting and services under one roof. I used to tell the really bad Dad Joke that I was 50% consulting, 50% pm, and 50% fieldwork. But... last year I billed 2000 client hours and another 600 hrs of overhead, and 2021 was worse, so I'm approaching it.

I wrapped a consulting project end of fiscal 2022. Bread and butter case where a competitor on the services side did some work and I'm reviewing it as a consultant. There are technical issues with the competitor's work (old, outdated toys) but fundamentally the work just shouldn't have been performed in the first place. It just won't solve the problem being asked, in my professional, licensed, explicitly hired by Project Owner to comment on this poo poo, opinion.

Project Owner now wants to hire my company to re-do the same technical work with better tools on a much larger scale. I've been fighting with my boss about it: it is a logistics nightmare and will cost 10x as much as a typical project (in billable time) so he's seeing $$$. As are a handful of subcontractors and adjacent contractors. But I still don't think it will work on a technical level, ignoring logistics. And I said as much in a client-meeting (which doubly pissed off my boss, and other companies who'd get a piece of that pie).

I'm never going to be able to retire at 65 or whatever and won't be able to do fieldwork as my body breaks down. Consulting income is the eventuality. My consulting reputation is tied to my services reputation. I don't see how any amount of "I told you so" is going to help mitigate a massive public failure. Boss and I still fighting about it. My boss has agreed to leave my name off the proposal and project* but I insist that paragraph 1 and last of the proposal to be: "this won't work."

*I know I'll have to manage it. Our other PMs don't have the specific experience and throwing them in this deep we'll lose the kind of money you just can't afford as an object lesson. I know I can at least manage the day-to-day project and keep the costs under control. But the end product will disappoint. The profile of this project is massive for our niche industry. When the project costs this dollar amount, and fails, what's going to get around is some variant of "Oh yeah PUFS is the person who tanked a $$$ project" which hurts my ability to make future work. I know that because we still talk about a project in 2005 that put 2 companies out of business and all the PMs still have that on their reputation. What I'm pushing is a very reduced SOW prove-out that This Won't Work but everyone else wants to budget (and spend) the full project amount this year.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Darkest Auer posted:

What, no 800x600 portrait pictures of your face and huge social media icons/links to your company? Shameful, those illiterate, blind boomers will never get your business.

Part of my signature requirement is that I list my LinkedIn. I'm going to go ahead and not do that.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Link the company account.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Most of my mails are just signed with
-Firstname

but the ones from the hospital account need to contain something like "this email does not contain sensitive information" as the last line for the servers to pass it on to any external domain. The filter seems quite tolerant, most people sign with the Norwegian equivalent of "not sensitive" in as many words and that's good enough. I wonder if it'd accept "I can't guarantee that this is not sensitive, so handle as appropriate"?

I think there's also some sort of standard signature on the hospital side, but fortunately nobody seems to care.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

goatface posted:

I'm meant to be in at least one day a week, I'm actually in maybe once or twice a month. So far nobody has given a poo poo.

This is the secret they don't want you to know about

Since my office decreed full-time back to work (from 3 days in office), I go in less than I ever did before, and to a much more random schedule. My whole office seems to have taken on this approach too

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

When did it start to taper off? I'm still in the whatever-the-opposite-of-a-honeymoon phase where middle management still has a giant boner for watching the clock and making sure people are around, like they have two years of pent-up busy work and time tracking to implement.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

pumped up for school posted:

pumped up for school: "This won't work"
Boss:NO U SHUT THE gently caress UP

My utility launched an absurdly expensive project that ultimately cost way too loving much and did only some of the things they wanted. The entire idea of the constraint triangle (for the uninitiated, you can have time,cost, or scope. Pick two) is just an impossible idea for some people to wrap their head around.

As soon as I started working on it, I knew immediately that what we were telling customers was complete goddamn nonsense. I started asking around various subcontractors who had been at this a while and I learned that this program was actually the third iteration this idea had gone through and was still completely unworkable. For any wannabe PMs out there, there are some problems that are not solvable in a timely manner unless you are willing to either compromise on money or what you want done, and there are some expenses your higher ups, even if they commit eyewatering sums of money to the project, will eventually balk at. There are no publicly traded corporate entities that exist that have truly unlimited resources. You wanna build the F-35 v2, ya gonna need someone with loving deep pockets and a truly unbelievable amount of patience.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

When did it start to taper off? I'm still in the whatever-the-opposite-of-a-honeymoon phase where middle management still has a giant boner for watching the clock and making sure people are around, like they have two years of pent-up busy work and time tracking to implement.

The full-time return was supposed to happen after the return from Easter. I had a few health issues that necessitated some days of leave, but I soon realised an upswing in random people being missing from the office - so probably a few weeks?

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

A Festivus Miracle posted:

My utility ... The entire idea of the constraint triangle (for the uninitiated, you can have time,cost, or scope. Pick two) is just an impossible idea for some people to wrap their head around.

Funny you mention utility & triangle. My other "problem" client is a major utility in California. Everybody knows the one. Anyway my main contact there has been interesting to work for, but he always starts preliminary negotiations with "I know what you are going to say. I want that entire sow, fast, and cheap. No compromise."

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Sormus posted:

Mystified as always by companies that require their employees to manage their signature instead of using one of the dozen cheap and easy ones that automatically add it as an email leaves the org.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

My utility launched an absurdly expensive project that ultimately cost way too loving much and did only some of the things they wanted. The entire idea of the constraint triangle (for the uninitiated, you can have time,cost, or scope. Pick two) is just an impossible idea for some people to wrap their head around.

I'm looking at a move to project management, and man I know I'm going to hate every second of it.

I've been fighting our PM team non-stop over the schedule for final assembly, we told them when we started production that the numbers the engineering team told them were bullshit, and it would take X weeks to build, they said cool, you have X/1.5 weeks to build it. We did it in X-1 day for our first one, and every one after that has been within a few days of X, we changed the schedule to build it in X time, and we hit that target every single time, within a few days.

So now they're like "figure out how to do it in X/2 weeks" and no amount of me shoveling massive amounts of empirical data showing that Y invariably takes Z hours, and we have 1000 Y's to install will make them shut the gently caress up and stop setting insane fantasy schedules based on literally nothing. I'm using all the analytical tools that they set up too, why even bother programming this poo poo (automatic pulls from work brokering software) if you're just going to ignore it and pull a number out of your rear end?

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Escape From Noise posted:

Seems like a waste of product. I'm at least not important enough to use a gun on.

American Light Lager: Aged on Real Americans!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I work as a delivery driver and logistics. About 2 months ago one of our departments closed down, and we lost / gave severance to several people because they could not be moved over to the new department. Since then, we've lost no one else because people are hanging on hoping to get severance, and I totally am doing the same.

Here's where the dumb part comes in: there's not enough work for the drivers. Maybe half of us could get a full day's work, but otherwise all of us are pretty much done by 11:00 a.m. or noon and we all start at 7:00 or 8:00 a.m. now the higher-ups know this because they've been able to track our deliveries and volume ever since we started this system years ago. They're pretty much just waiting for people to walk out or quit.

So for a while if we had nothing to do, our boss came down on us hard and told us we had to be busy as in get our vans washed, do maintenance on them, which of course we don't need to do everyday, but failing that we need to go to one of our stores and work inside there. Now keep in mind we're drivers, we're not slated to work in the stores, we don't have access to the cash registers, or have been trained on any of the machines. The managers of the store have no interest in having us helping there either.

But then as quickly as the boss was hammering down that we need to stay busy the entire day, it's not dispatches job to find this work, and at the end of every shift we had to email him and let him know what store we were working in, it stopped. The boss no longer emails us and we don't have to work in the centers anymore, because someone figured out that dispatch isn't working either. Apparently for the past 2 months, we are in a trial period. And they're using software that automatically dispatches work to the drivers. Dispatch is under strict orders not to manually dispatch anything, or move deliveries around so one driver doesn't have 10 deliveries and everyone else has nothing. In fact all dispatch does is click a button on the software that's marked efficient routes. So at last check we have about two dozen dispatchers working 8 hours a day, at home, and they have maybe 5 minutes of work to do total for the day. And we know this because the times drivers have called dispatchers, we can hear drive-thru speakers reciting orders, sounds of movies, sounds of people splashing in water because they're at the pool and the dispatcher just brought their headset and phone with them, etc.

poo poo got made fast. So at least until june, we're in the stalemate where the drivers are done overall by 11:00 or noon, and then we sit for the next 3 or 4 hours getting paid just to be in our vans. Because if they can't force dispatch to actually work, they can't force the drivers to actually work either.

Of course my manager, and indeed many managers over the country are kind of worried, because the next round of cuts may mean we don't need an overall manager for the drivers. .

For a company that is harping on saving, or aiming to save a few million by this time next year, they have no problems wasting a good chunk of money right now. The sad part is that they've had the volume listed for all of our deliveries for the 10 years our program has been running, so they know exactly how busy we were going to be, but right now they're just trying to force people to leave so they don't get a severance package offered.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

frest posted:

I extended my almost-fully remote schedule through a little trick called "not going." I just never went back and said I did. It took them well over a year to notice, because our job is entirely mediated by computers and we have a hybrid schedule so every meeting has to be done in Teams anyway.

They caught me last week and gave me a verbal warning :(

I’m guessing you were on mute for your audible scoff, since it obviously didn’t effect your ability to do your job? Cause I absolutely would have struggled to reign my derision in if I were you.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Pick Two?! You get one, if you're lucky

Back when I was starting out in my first career I actually drew out and printed a Time/Cost/Quality triangle and gave it to my boss as a visual to try and explain just how things actually work.

His immediate response was 'Well why not just do all three?' like I was some kind of simpleton incapable of critical thought and to my credit, I didn't embed a chair in the drywall/his skull.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Elviscat posted:

why even bother programming this poo poo (automatic pulls from work brokering software) if you're just going to ignore it and pull a number out of your rear end?
From the utility end-user perspective the goal appears to be to just SAY that you are doing things at whatever speed/price to whatever regulatory body you are governed by, even if you are "delayed" and "costs overrun"

is this stupid? of course it is, but if they just directly ask rate payers for the money they will say no. If the aforementioned things happen, then we can "make space in the budget" etc etc

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Bored posted:

I’m guessing you were on mute for your audible scoff, since it obviously didn’t effect your ability to do your job? Cause I absolutely would have struggled to reign my derision in if I were you.

If you added up the years of service of every member of management on the call, you might equal my years of service, forget my shop steward too. I'm so numb to this poo poo. If they're going to be hall monitors that's fine, because I will travel to the office and read the forums all day. I was enjoying an actual sort-of renaissance in productivity because remote work simultaneously forced out all the luddites and got people embracing a lot of tools that just make good sense for our workflow.

Before the pandemic we were still preparing paper packages for jobs. By hand, arts & crafts markups of maps and schematics. I threw myself into remote work 100% to demonstrate that this was not only VIABLE it was PREFERABLE. Alas

flashy_mcflash posted:

management still has a giant boner for watching the clock and making sure people are around, like they have two years of pent-up busy work and time tracking to implement.

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

All employees who sends Emails

ShimaTetsuo
Sep 9, 2001

Maximus Quietus

Sormus posted:

Please Think of Trees Before You Print email thing

in the forest products industry, they have "It's okay to print this email, paper is a renewable resource" signatures instead. for real.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I had a job in the military for awhile where I would just sit in a room and print out "the important emails" I had no idea why I was doing it, but at least people would come by and randomly yell at me for doing it wrong!

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Sormus posted:

Reply and confirm your new signature. Ensure that all the redline text is included. :getin:

Outrail posted:

Back when I was starting out in my first career I actually drew out and printed a Time/Cost/Quality triangle and gave it to my boss as a visual to try and explain just how things actually work.

His immediate response was 'Well why not just do all three?' like I was some kind of simpleton incapable of critical thought and to my credit, I didn't embed a chair in the drywall/his skull.

I have had to explain the triple constraint to three of my managers over my career. You’d think during management onboarding, there’d be a whole slide about “here’s how to hand-wave your engineers’ concerns when they start whining about triangles.”

Of course, maybe pretending not to know it is the strategy. :tinfoil:

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

How many of you guys have ever resigned from a job with no other job to go to? And if you did, what was your 'breaking point'?

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Chewbecca posted:

How many of you guys have ever resigned from a job with no other job to go to? And if you did, what was your 'breaking point'?

None yet, but my current place tempts me most fiercely.

I guess my breaking point would be one of those "sign/agree to this significant modification of your terms of employment now/today without time to consider it properly or you're fired." situations that I've heard about.

Nearly had one myself, but fortunately, "I need to go home and discuss this with my wife" was accepted, and gave me a week to line something else up.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Atopian posted:

None yet, but my current place tempts me most fiercely.

I guess my breaking point would be one of those "sign/agree to this significant modification of your terms of employment now/today without time to consider it properly or you're fired." situations that I've heard about.

Nearly had one myself, but fortunately, "I need to go home and discuss this with my wife" was accepted, and gave me a week to line something else up.

The real power move would be "hold on, I need go home and discuss this with your spouse. :smuggo:"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Chewbecca posted:

I did, but it was a slow burn of me not giving a poo poo about the work anymore and having nowhere to go in the company.

I'm never doing that again.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Atopian posted:

In most states that would constructive dismissal and would make you eligible for unemployment if you walked out.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Chewbecca posted:

Applicants who are currently employed look more attractive than those who aren't

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You don't know what I look like. I'm moderately attractive

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Chewbecca posted:

My manager at best buy screamed at me for not upselling a little old lady to a high end pc. I'd love to say I told him off properly, but I was 17 and just muttered that seems wrong as he got more and more angry till I said I quit.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Salami Surgeon posted:

Applicants who are currently employed look more attractive than those who aren't

Just lie on the resume and say you're still employed. If they call up say oops I guess I forgot.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
just quit the job and begin the "freelance" part of your resume

...not how your industry works? actually it is now.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I really need to do that, hotel work sucks poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Chewbecca posted:

Me. The final breaking point for me after a long series of petty bullshit was when they hosed with my time off over Christmas. Basically we were told we need to submit our time off for the holidays by the end of October which I did. Heard nothing about anyone's leave being approved all through November and December and then Christmas week came.

Two days before I was due to go on leave management announced that everyone's Christmas leave had been cancelled. Either they'd known all along this was going to happen and had hid it because they knew people would kick off. Or they didn't know in which case they were massively incompetent.

Either way I'd had enough so I quit on the spot. If they'd given us two weeks notice of the plan to cancel our holidays I'd have grumbled about it but put up with it but two days was ridiculous.