Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

kind of uncomfortable sounding that microsoft scans things like that, but seems obviously a not-secfuck in almost every case.

i mean, i certainly understand them doing this for malware. the problem for me is that they're brute-forcing passworded archives by scanning emails for passwords and that probably, idk, 95%+ of them are not malicious

i also understand that other services do it too, that doesn't make it any more palatable imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

1. make a file that compromises the antivirus scanner when scanned.
2. stuff it in a zip file.
3. upload it to onedrive.
4. ???????
5. microsoft burns down your house

mystes
May 31, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

i mean, i certainly understand them doing this for malware. the problem for me is that they're brute-forcing passworded archives by scanning emails for passwords and that probably, idk, 95%+ of them are not malicious

i also understand that other services do it too, that doesn't make it any more palatable imo
On the other hand there is literally no reason to password a protect a zip file with a password written in the email the zip file is attached to other than to specifically bypass virus scanning

If it was for security you would send the password separately, at least in an email.

If you're saying "here's a zip file and the password is 1234" you're 100% just trying to prevent the email from being blocked

mystes fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 16, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I think if it's just limited to a per email basis it seems fine, they're really just scanning the email taken as a whole

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

mystes posted:

On the other hand there is literally no reason to password a protect a zip file with a password written in the email the zip file is attached to other than to specifically bypass virus scanning

If it was for security you would send the password separately, at least in an email.

If you're saying "here's a zip file and the password is 1234" you're 100% just trying to prevent the email from being blocked

lol maybe to you and me, but i'd bet business people do that all the time simply because they don't know how to recompress something without the password

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/_MG_/status/1658528430588317696?s=20

time to put this to bed

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
is there anything in recent times that compares to the level of footguns the .zip TLD created, because good lord

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
what was the legitimate purpose of the .zip tld

did they have an application in mind or did someone just think it sounded cool

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
it's for fast websites, when you want some "zip" for your javascript

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

what was the legitimate purpose of the .zip tld

did they have an application in mind or did someone just think it sounded cool
it's google, it's always the latter, with zero reflection on risk put into it

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

thanks for posting this. it’s a much better show of why .zip is a terrible idea than other things I’ve seen posted. an actual poc that I’m sure we’ll see exercised in the wild with how trivial it is.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

is there anything in recent times that compares to the level of footguns the .zip TLD created, because good lord

non ascii characters in url which leads to endless substitutions with google dot com but instead of the l being a capital i it's a turkish double lemna sans serif

but i'll admit that one earlier is a damnable trick, the very first parts of the url are lying, that's delicious

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

is the implication that this would attempt http basic auth and load v1271.zip, which could be malicious?

if so, time to put to bed the suggestion that this is exploitable

because
1) it doesn't parse that way - look how userinfo is defined in https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc3986#appendix-A or try it yourself
2) even if it did parse that way, browsers have had warnings when this is attempted for years

if you look at the original blog post, the only reason it appears to work is because the author has actually correctly percent encoded the userinfo component (as is required if you want to send the user to v1271.zip)

but misleadingly, the author didn't percent encode the clickable link text, which would rather spoil the illusion. funny that!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
even if it did work, ∕ doesn't really look like /, particularly in a url with other slashes

but i realize that it's "close enough"

mystes
May 31, 2006

Rufus Ping posted:

is the implication that this would attempt http basic auth and load v1271.zip, which could be malicious?

if so, time to put to bed the suggestion that this is exploitable

because
1) it doesn't parse that way - look how userinfo is defined in https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc3986#appendix-A or try it yourself
2) even if it did parse that way, browsers have had warnings when this is attempted for years

if you look at the original blog post, the only reason it appears to work is because the author has actually correctly percent encoded the userinfo component (as is required if you want to send the user to v1271.zip)

but misleadingly, the author didn't percent encode the clickable link text, which would rather spoil the illusion. funny that!

since they're using different slashes does it still have to be url encoded?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

mystes posted:

since they're using different slashes does it still have to be url encoded?

yes because it's not in the specifically allowed subset of ascii

code:
userinfo       = *( unreserved / pct-encoded / sub-delims / ":" )
sub-delims     = "!" / "$" / "&" / "'" / "(" / ")" / "*" / "+" / "," / ";" / "="
unreserved     = ALPHA / DIGIT / "-" / "." / "_" / "~"
ALPHA          =  %x41-5A / %x61-7A   ; A-Z / a-z

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I hope they release a tld for .Ian (capital i) to really gently caress things up

gotta be a lot of ians out there who would benefit

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
lol who made this ad (it doesn't even link to a nu-QCS thread or anything, just the forums main page):

to whomever wasted $30 on this: it's either the standard $20 or $200/mo plan with maybe some addon features that don't matter for blocking people. lowtax dowgraded to the cheaper one at some point; idk what jeffrey has. in practice the main reason for SA to use the more expensive one was for PCI-DSS compliance

IIRC there was historically some plan-based limit to IP/region firewall rules that realistically doesn't matter, since those are effectively useless at blocking individuals, and mods/admins (hopefully) wouldn't have access to the SA cloudflare account. they just use mod tools same as always.

it's possible there are some boneheaded rules in the list to the effect of "challenge every client coming from Turkmenistan" or "block any client coming from an AWS IP range" in a ham-fisted attempt to mitigate some attack, but those aren't targeted at individuals

anyway, i am again annoyed at people not understanding firewalls and treating them like some sort of lizard person conspiracy instead of maybe less than ideal use of blunt instruments

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

help, ive been shadowbanned by cloudflare! MY POSTS AREN'T GOING THROUGH!!!

JEFF!?

JEFFREY!?!?!?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

post the cloudflare ban list after banning whoever bought that ad so they can't see it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

lol who made this ad (it doesn't even link to a nu-QCS thread or anything, just the forums main page):

elon musk, aka stymie, probably

mystes
May 31, 2006

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

to whomever wasted $30 on this: it's either the standard $20 or $200/mo plan with maybe some addon features that don't matter for blocking people. lowtax dowgraded to the cheaper one at some point; idk what jeffrey has. in practice the main reason for SA to use the more expensive one was for PCI-DSS compliance

IIRC there was historically some plan-based limit to IP/region firewall rules that realistically doesn't matter, since those are effectively useless at blocking individuals, and mods/admins (hopefully) wouldn't have access to the SA cloudflare account. they just use mod tools same as always.

it's possible there are some boneheaded rules in the list to the effect of "challenge every client coming from Turkmenistan" or "block any client coming from an AWS IP range" in a ham-fisted attempt to mitigate some attack, but those aren't targeted at individuals

anyway, i am again annoyed at people not understanding firewalls and treating them like some sort of lizard person conspiracy instead of maybe less than ideal use of blunt instruments
It's probably this user ErrorInvalidUser who was apparently permabanned and tried to sue SA or something and keeps trying to reregister, and probably has schizophrenia or something.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
that guy who is using webtv finally got $30 and spent it on an ad instead of something better, tragic

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
https://github.com/vdohney/keepass-password-dumper

Another keepAss CVE.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

it's a memory dump cve, really embarassing that it's taking up cve space if i'm being honest. i'd put this on the same level as that 1password vuln of calling the export function...

devs already said they're patching it and will push a release by july but someone wanted some cred, at least it wasn't a serious vuln they threw into the wild

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

breaking: debuggers exist

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

breaking: debuggers exist

severely hosed up if true

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Lain Iwakura posted:

impressive that this is worse than cryptocat

https://crnkovic.dev/testing-converso/

https://www.theregister.com/2023/05/17/converso_e2ee_app/

it's been pulled temporarily while it gets fixe

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

anyways, signal is a good cross platform messaging app for anyone who is looking to get off of sms and can push their contacts to do the same

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

it's a memory dump cve, really embarassing that it's taking up cve space if i'm being honest. i'd put this on the same level as that 1password vuln of calling the export function...

devs already said they're patching it and will push a release by july but someone wanted some cred, at least it wasn't a serious vuln they threw into the wild

Your laptop getting stolen might mean your keepass master password is lost because you didn't encrypt your disk. I feel that's serious. Your password manager having a chance of writing the plain text master password to disk is not an unimportant detail.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

KeepassXC supports multifactor authentication with yubikey and password files and etc. The yubikey support is actually really good.

This would be a much better mitigation of this CVE.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

karoshi posted:

Your laptop getting stolen might mean your keepass master password is lost because you didn't encrypt your disk. I feel that's serious. Your password manager having a chance of writing the plain text master password to disk is not an unimportant detail.

we're getting to the point where not encrypting your disk is a dumb idea

both bitlocker (with windows pro and enterprise) and modern LUKS support TPM encryption, although backing up your keys is essential (because apparently windows loses them and sometimes poo poo happens), so there is no user interaction needed to keep things secure

also, I think some Linux distributions use a swapfile with a temporary encryption key, so attacks like those are even less useful on Linux

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
just run keepAss in it's own appVM in QubesOS with no network access, obviously

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

karoshi posted:

that's nice

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I guess in that instance it would maybe be in the pagefile but otherwise it sounds like the data doesn't persist on reboot (if I'm understanding it correctly) and is only transiently in RAM

this is why I use a full tower desktop: it's too heavy to easily steal

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

90s nerds were well built to move laser printers and 17 inch CRTs, one in each arm

these modern gamers just use their smartphones or macbooks

what happened to the good old days of turbo buttons and an actual power switch?

(and don't get me started on modern cases that don't even have external 5.25" bays)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
it's true, carting those printers to and from your crush's house gave you serious definition

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

sb hermit posted:

90s nerds were well built to move laser printers and 17 inch CRTs, one in each arm

these modern gamers just use their smartphones or macbooks

what happened to the good old days of turbo buttons and an actual power switch?

(and don't get me started on modern cases that don't even have external 5.25" bays)

I was on the Trinitron weightlifting plan.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sb hermit posted:

KeepassXC supports multifactor authentication with yubikey and password files and etc. The yubikey support is actually really good.

This would be a much better mitigation of this CVE.

how does keepassxc's mfa support actually secure the data though? is the yubikey being used for a cryptographic operations, or is it keepassxc just "lol, yeah, you got the static yubikey and master password, take what you need"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Subjunctive posted:

I was on the Trinitron weightlifting plan.

:hfive:

the color was just right but it sure made lan games a workout