Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

what does the islam and new name have to do w it

flavor text

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
so we gonna do the google recipe seo for posts now?!?!?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

what does the islam and new name have to do w it

i was gonna say “its just color commentary” but uh maybe thats not the term i want xD

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Video Nasty posted:

flavor text

there u go

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

so we gonna do the google recipe seo for posts now?!?!?

ya here's the recipe for my dick: suck it from the back, OP

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Video Nasty posted:

ya here's the recipe for my dick: suck it from the back, OP

careful bob, a name like video nasty screams smegma

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/texas-professor-failed-more-half-120208452.html?guccounter=1

A Texas professor failed more than half of his class after ChatGPT falsely claimed it wrote their papers

quote:

A professor at Texas A&M failed more than half of his class after ChatGPT falsely claimed it wrote their papers, prompting the university to withhold their diplomas, Rolling Stone reported on Tuesday.

In an email sent to his class of seniors on Monday, Dr. Jared Mumm said that he had submitted three of their last essay assignments into OpenAI's bot Chat GPT to test whether any students used the software to write their papers.

"I copy and paste your responses in this account and Chat GTP will tell me if the program generated the content," Mumm, who teaches agricultural sciences and natural resources, wrote in the email, misspelling Chat GPT.

"I put everyone's last three assignments through two separate times and if they were both claimed by Chat GTP you received a 0," he added.

As a result, most of the seniors — who had already graduated — had their official diplomas put on hold by the university, Rolling Stone reported. Mumm offered the class the chance to re-do the assignment to avoid a failing grade.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mediaphage posted:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/texas-professor-failed-more-half-120208452.html?guccounter=1

A Texas professor failed more than half of his class after ChatGPT falsely claimed it wrote their papers
lol

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

mediaphage posted:

hahahah

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

the race to the bottom generative ai deserves

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
lies as a service

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mediaphage posted:

this sounds like what happened when plagiarism detection software first came around, and teachers, who had no clue how to use it, were failing students because it flagged a random, generic sentence or two. i guess they legitimately expected the tens of thousands of 15 year olds writing papers every year to have completely original, never before conceived thoughts on to kill a mockingbird with no filler whatsoever

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
See also: plagiarism software routinely accusing students of plagiarising ... from their first draft that was submitted to the software separately

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

The_Franz posted:

this sounds like what happened when plagiarism detection software first came around, and teachers, who had no clue how to use it, were failing students because it flagged a random, generic sentence or two. i guess they legitimately expected the tens of thousands of 15 year olds writing papers every year to have completely original, never before conceived thoughts on to kill a mockingbird with no filler whatsoever

i got in legit trouble in high school because i went over the allowable threshold in my paper of word count percentage from somewhere else

it was a paper on dickens

he was paid by the word

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Jabor posted:

See also: plagiarism software routinely accusing students of plagiarising ... from their first draft that was submitted to the software separately

lmao really

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the only time i ever got in trouble for plagiarism it was because my writing was so much better than my peers that the professor (yeah this was an english class in college!) assumed i had paid someone to write it :confused:

at first i figured i had gotten a bad grade because my writing was bad, so i tried even harder to make it "good" (which back then just meant "more complex"). failed again so i asked her about it, told me she thought it was plagiarized, then went word by word and had me define everything longer than like 4 letters. it was weird but after that i didn't get anything lower than an A. i also completely gave up on trying because that was some extremely dumb bullshit, so it worked out

anyway thats my plagiarism story thanks for reading

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

the only time i ever got in trouble for plagiarism it was because my writing was so much better than my peers that the professor (yeah this was an english class in college!) assumed i had paid someone to write it :confused:

at first i figured i had gotten a bad grade because my writing was bad, so i tried even harder to make it "good" (which back then just meant "more complex"). failed again so i asked her about it, told me she thought it was plagiarized, then went word by word and had me define everything longer than like 4 letters. it was weird but after that i didn't get anything lower than an A. i also completely gave up on trying because that was some extremely dumb bullshit, so it worked out

anyway thats my plagiarism story thanks for reading

lmao that's the sort of thing that i think is actually worth complaining to the department about because that's insane

relatedly though i had a sub in high school sophomore year that asked how i ended up in the special ed class because of how the class acted

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it says here in the original reddit thread that two students confessed despite accusation bein spurious and one has been definitively exonerated lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it turns out it's very easy to coerce a confession out of someone with limited life experience when there's a significant power dynamic in play

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

the kelly comic about ai but it's a professor grading essays

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

No one accuses you of plagiarism if your work is really bad :smug:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

financial times threatening us with a good time

https://twitter.com/ftmag/status/1658868771983949824?s=61&t=6FR0zjGNxQmkl5MtzAIFEg

oh no, what if the REITs, venture capitalists and private equity firms who all already hate this place stop profiting from it???

[the coppolas own that building and it has a nice restaurant in it]

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
whenever i see a picture of that building i think it's the temple of scientology down the street, until i remember which way it is to the pyramid.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

same beaux arts style, fewer pointy bits [and thetans]

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean its sort of a financial disaster for me personally but i understand it

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I put a mango through as nectarines (by weight) because I'd lost the sticker from the mango and couldn't be bothered going back to find it and I still feel guilty. total theft value: approx 25 pence

thank you yospos for hearing my confession

there's a self-serve ice cream store near me that has an entire half freezer of year-old bars because their barcode isn't registered so nobody can scan them

whoops

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
free ice cream you say?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Jonny 290 posted:

i don't think ive ever accidentally hosed up a self checkout, and though i agree in principle with the 'stealing from stores if you need to is fine' theory, at my grocery store there's a plate carrier vest dude wearing a ski mask and a Glock and a Grunt Style shirt, and I don't want anybody to be shot over a steak

don't steal from local stores or get shot but do steal from large chains if you need it or want it or just feel like it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
did....did you read that post or

e: oh i missed that bit in the middle, my bad. problem is its the big chains that are buying the swat teams

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 18, 2023

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
i have two insta pots and a tent that my wife took from walmart. she doesn't really do that any more though.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

"stealing is fine if the store isn't morally pure" is a garbage take.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yet another case of repeating the joke meme so often one started believing it, sad to see it

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Seeing baby formula locked up behind the counter is insanely depressing and probably one of the few things I would steal by any means necessary if it came to that

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

ADINSX posted:

Seeing baby formula locked up behind the counter is insanely depressing and probably one of the few things I would steal by any means necessary if it came to that

you do not, under any circumstances, have got to hand it to the chinese autocracy but they did give life in prison (and sometimes death sentence) to people deemed responsible for the intentional melamine poisoning of the baby formula that killed some infants and gave others kidney stones and organ damage.
i don't agree with capital punishment but i might compromise if it was only applied to people who intentionally poisoned babies.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

canyoneer posted:

you do not, under any circumstances, have got to hand it to the chinese autocracy

I’m gonna stop you right there actually

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
what if landlords

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I’ve shoplifted small toiletries from walmart years ago when poo poo was real bad a few times. I left it in my cart and at self checkout i just put my bags of groceries I could afford right on top. the staff watching didn’t notice or care and said thanks as I walked right on by.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Achmed Jones posted:

"stealing is fine if the store isn't morally pure" is a garbage take.

:wrong:

Achmed Jones posted:

yet another case of repeating the joke meme so often one started believing it, sad to see it

its not a joke hth

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it means the piggly wiggly model of retail depends upon another cognitive commons. which, like all other commons in modernity, has kinda gone to poo poo

in this case it even got defended by violence and went to poo poo anyways

in 5 years we'll be talkin to shopkeeps. or talkin to shopgpt, i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mediaphage posted:

lmao it's tired of doing homework and this is how it's getting its own back.