Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Did Cobra really not expect to be killed after saying all that

I almost suspect he did expect to be killed. We know he was already sick, and there’s a recurring pattern in One Piece of terminally ill people choosing martyrdom (Roger, Hiruluk).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah he might have like a snail on him or, some other kind of proof. May somehow fall into Vivi's hands and that's how we keep that going.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
the lili stuff makes it a lot more ominous (if that's even possible) that imu was staring at vivi's portrait over that of Literal Joyboy and Literal Rocks(?) Successor. also lili and vivi seem similar in terms of names

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Terper posted:

Yeah he might have like a snail on him or, some other kind of proof. May somehow fall into Vivi's hands and that's how we keep that going.

I hadn’t considered a snail, but that would make sense. It provides an in-universe reason for all the “as you know, my great-great-aunt the Queen” exposition.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Whooping Crabs posted:

lmao at the Godfather reference

sometimes, fan localization is good

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

I almost suspect he did expect to be killed. We know he was already sick, and there’s a recurring pattern in One Piece of terminally ill people choosing martyrdom (Roger, Hiruluk).

if he expected to be killed he wouldn't have left vivi completely within the power of his killers. she only escaped thanks to wapol, of all people.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if he expected to be killed he wouldn't have left vivi completely within the power of his killers. she only escaped thanks to wapol, of all people.

He did at least tell his guards to look after her.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

cohol cp

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 17, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

For the love of god at least pop an h in the middle of that

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I was waiting for the Gorosei to at least try and bullshit their way out of Cobra's questions. But nah, they just know off hand that there's no records from 8 centuries ago about some lady whose name they just now heard for the first time. To get the position you've got to fully memorize every document in the WG archives I guess.

Everyone knows that Luffy would never leave a bro hanging, so it's a reasonable risk.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

He did at least tell his guards to look after her.

cobra absolutely did not think that chaka and pell would be up to the task of extricating her from the most fortified place on the planet. no one including those two are dumb enough to think that. if he thought he'd die for asking questions, he wouldn't have brought vivi along.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
:laffo:

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

100% new information. Alabasta's current ruler King Cobra and Amazon Lily's current ruler is Boa Handcock. they both have snake themed names. this might have been sitting right in front of us for a very long time

If this is the case then I really want to know who Enie is and why they named the Lobby after him

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God, One Piece is really good. Controversial I know, but I feel like it's time somebody said it.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Gyges posted:

I was waiting for the Gorosei to at least try and bullshit their way out of Cobra's questions. But nah, they just know off hand that there's no records from 8 centuries ago about some lady whose name they just now heard for the first time. To get the position you've got to fully memorize every document in the WG archives I guess.

Everyone knows that Luffy would never leave a bro hanging, so it's a reasonable risk.

judging from their reactions it looks like they knew what was about to go down the second he rolled into that room. He was probably also doomed whether or not Im came in

Also I really hope Charlos is loving dead

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
charlos is definitely alive because of how brutal that hit was. it would be a very graphic death. also, it would be hosed up if a tontatta killed a guy.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Charloss is definately alive because Kizaru said something like "He survived anyway, so its not that big of a deal" or something. Morgans kept referring to an attempted murder too.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
He lives so that he may be destroyed again another day.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gyges posted:

He lives so that he may be destroyed again another day.

What is this, like the third or fourth time he’s gotten his poo poo wrecked? It’s practically a running gag at this point

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Larryb posted:

What is this, like the third or fourth time he’s gotten his poo poo wrecked? It’s practically a running gag at this point

Good! I hope his every appearance is him getting his rear end beat!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Good! I hope his every appearance is him getting his rear end beat!

The guy’s a piece of poo poo even by Celestial Dragon standards so I’d be fine with that at least (though hopefully he’ll be dead for real by the manga’s end)

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Silver2195 posted:

I’m going to say this doesn’t work. Most of the non-human races can interbreed with humans, and fishmen, at least, even have the same blood types. They’re clearly related to humans, and thus can’t be entirely extraterrestrial in origin.

Edit: There’s an interesting tension in the backstory we get where The Void Century sometimes seems to straightforwardly be a conflict between the Twenty Kingdoms and the Ancient Kingdom, but other times we get hints of a more complex conflict (three Ancient Weapons rather than two, the God of Skypeia title, Ds opposing “whatever is considered God in every era”). At the very least, I don’t think the Ds were completely aligned with the Ancient Kingdom.

See, that's where the wilder part of the theory comes in... they're not extraterrestrial in origin. They're interdimensional. Pulled from other worlds where humans evolved slightly differently.

I know it sounds pretty out-there, but Vegapunk's theory on devil fruit powers makes it a lot likelier the Ancient Kingdom were messing about with interdimensional poo poo. If they pulled in other races/tribes and couldn't send them back, they presumably would have tried to rehome them.

And yeah, I figure the Ds were a smaller third faction made up of people from all backgrounds, fighting for freedom and equality. They wanted peace, but the 20 Kingdoms wanted power.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

It's also worth keeping in mind that while we have like 20+ years of hindsight to tell us that the WG is bad news, Arabasta seems to have been pretty isolated from the worst of that (Croco notwithstanding, and they probably could have written him off pretty easily as "just a bad seed" if Riku hadn't backed him up) and Scorpion might have thought he had legit diplomatic immunity, what with being both a king and a descendant of the OG 20 on top of that.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It is kind of unreasonable to assume all races are human offshoots just because the can interbreed. After all we're talking about a setting where fruits and sufficient willpower give you magic powers.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Silver2195 posted:

I’m going to say this doesn’t work. Most of the non-human races can interbreed with humans, and fishmen, at least, even have the same blood types. They’re clearly related to humans, and thus can’t be entirely extraterrestrial in origin.

Counterpoint: I'm comfortable in assuming that Oda would let aliens be able to breed with humans on literally no other basis than the fact that it worked that way with Saiyans

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

One of the Revolutionaries should paint a tunnel on a wall and tell Charloss that Shirahoshi is on the other end

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Imu's unstabbed picture of Vivi is interesting in the light of the Lili news. It'd make most sense to me if Imu is immortal and knew Lili, and was struck by Vivi's resemblance.

I also think it's likely that Imu is the as yet unrevealed island-destroying superweapon Uranus. I'd guess they were made immortal to prevent the weapon from reincarnating somewhere the world government can't keep tabs on it (as happened with Neptune). The elders can't actually force Imu to do their bidding so it's not like they can just nuke every island that rebels, but they may be able to coax Imu into action sometimes.

Imu is the 'ruler of the world' in that they are accountable to no-one and the Elders have to keep them happy, but given their limited seeming intelligence I doubt they're plotting and pulling strings so much as acting out personal whims.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Imu is Liki and they’re gonna have some absolutely rockin cans.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Bleck posted:

[/spoiler]

Counterpoint: I'm comfortable in assuming that Oda would let aliens be able to breed with humans on literally no other basis than the fact that it worked that way with Saiyans

Even beyond the biology, I don’t like the idea on a thematic level. The point of the blood type thing was that humans and fishmen aren’t fundamentally all that different. Saying “actually they’re aliens” undermines that.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Given the shape of the two items, I wonder if the Big Hat was what allowed Imu to summon the weapon to blast the island, like it's actually a tool that lets them control the weapon or otherwise teleport, resize, create a clone of the Big Hat, etc.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Broke: Vivi is going to be a strawhat
Woke: Vivi will be the final boss

i'm hyped

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Silver2195 posted:

The point of the blood type thing was that humans and fishmen aren’t fundamentally all that different. Saying “actually they’re aliens” undermines that.

No, it doesn't?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Considering we have an entire group of people that are both literally above the law and under Marine protection I'm kind of curious why Imu's existence is being kept secret to begin with (I assume it has something to do with the Void Century)

Also if Imu is indeed Lili, unless there turn out to be some kind of extenuating circumstances, that essentially means that Luffy will begin and end the series by punching a giant woman

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Silver2195 posted:

Even beyond the biology, I don’t like the idea on a thematic level. The point of the blood type thing was that humans and fishmen aren’t fundamentally all that different. Saying “actually they’re aliens” undermines that.

Cool, except I wasn't saying the other races/tribes were aliens. I think they're from divergent evolutionary branches. Parallel dimensions.

(I don't think this needs spoiler tags since this tangent has nothing to do with the chapter)

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

jassa posted:

Cool, except I wasn't saying the other races/tribes were aliens. I think they're from divergent evolutionary branches. Parallel dimensions.

(I don't think this needs spoiler tags since this tangent has nothing to do with the chapter)

I know. Them being aliens who can interbreed with humans because that's how it worked in Dragon Ball was Bleck's suggestion.

Edit: I actually kind of like the parallel universe theory, although I'm not sure why Devil Fruit users are "hated by the sea" if "real" parallel universe people aren't. Maybe a Devil Fruit reflects a more extreme level of deviation - a "lower-probability" universe. So fishmen and minks are fine because their bodies integrate animal features into a coherent human-like body, but Zoan users shapeshifting in a way that outright violates conservation of mass makes the universe annoyed. Devil Fruit users are paralyzed when immersed in water specifically because their illogical biophysics creates glitches in the universe's handling of buoyancy, or something like that.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 18, 2023

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Or maybe I've got it the wrong way around, and parallel universes are the reason why Zoans don't violate conservation of mass, like Zero Space in Animorphs. Other Devil Fruit powers work similarly, just sometimes with energy instead of matter.

Amante
Jan 3, 2007

Love the whole Bakshi vibe that Imu has going on. Very Wizards.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Just makes me think of Hollow Knight every time they're onscreen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Silver2195 posted:

Yea, I agree. IMO though theres still an alien somewhere and its Imu.