Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Sichuan peppercorns have decided it's Spring:

Anyone have opinions on carpet beetles on flowering plants? A few weeks ago when the peppercorns were flowering they got covered in carpet beetles. They were obviously there to feed on the pollen, but I don't have any feel for how beneficial they are as pollinators vs how likely they are to damage the flowers/plants by massing on them to eat the pollen.

I ended up spraying half the plants with a neem oil solution (Safer, for whatever that's worth), and that cleared out the carpet beetles. A couple days later I though that the plants that didn't get sprayed were going to not set fruit, because the ones that had been sprayed already were and the un-sprayed plants weren't...but then the un-sprayed plants started developing fruit as well. So now I don't know if the carpet beetles adversely affected pollination (but not enough to prevent fruit set), or if spraying helped it (that is, if I was basically hand-pollinating by spraying the plant).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Got a tricotyledon sprout in my Emerald Towers basil! I know it means nothing much for the plant, but I'll pretend it's like a 4-leaf clover.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SubG posted:

Anyone have opinions on carpet beetles on flowering plants? A few weeks ago when the peppercorns were flowering they got covered in carpet beetles. They were obviously there to feed on the pollen, but I don't have any feel for how beneficial they are as pollinators vs how likely they are to damage the flowers/plants by massing on them to eat the pollen.

I ended up spraying half the plants with a neem oil solution (Safer, for whatever that's worth), and that cleared out the carpet beetles. A couple days later I though that the plants that didn't get sprayed were going to not set fruit, because the ones that had been sprayed already were and the un-sprayed plants weren't...but then the un-sprayed plants started developing fruit as well. So now I don't know if the carpet beetles adversely affected pollination (but not enough to prevent fruit set), or if spraying helped it (that is, if I was basically hand-pollinating by spraying the plant).

I don't believe that they're beneficial in anyway and are just generally a pest. Z. simulans seems to like setting the berries even without dioecious pollination sometimes, but perhaps the beetles were keeping it from happening by eating the pollen instead of tracking it around. Mine seem to be about 2-3 weeks behind yours always, but they fruit and set and have put out a bunch of new growth this year. They're tall enough already that I'm going to be pruning them into more of a bush shape already after only the one year of having them.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Hello my name is Chad and my watermelons are straight trash.

It's in the deepest part of my new bed which is probably like 95% compost. I'm guessing it's N deficiency... or I hosed up the roots when transplanting.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

SubG posted:

drat looks nice. Mine is still just growing leafs but they smell extremely good when you rub em a little

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

Hello my name is Chad and my watermelons are straight trash.

It's in the deepest part of my new bed which is probably like 95% compost. I'm guessing it's N deficiency... or I hosed up the roots when transplanting.

How recently were they transplanted?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Cherry tomato blossoming

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

ThePopeOfFun posted:

How recently were they transplanted?

A month ago. There's some new growth there but also diseased tissue.

Tbf even my tomatoes only started taking off in the last week. We've been hard up for proper sun.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Peppers are growing nicely! The Shishito even has a little baby pepper growing!

Also added a Hibiscus because why not.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Aspargus has poked up and it looks like it's in the edible range this year for the first time since I planted it in ... I think spring 2021, so I'm stoked. I'll probably also have a spinach and kale harvest in 4-5 days too. Beans peas and carrots are germinating. Most of the transplants look right happy, except the okra and a few of the bulb/storage onions. My Elizabeth variety sauce tomatoes are growing like loving heroes too.

Let us all hope for a lack of disasters for our respective gardens as they wake up for the summer of 2023 in the Northern Hemisphere!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Annath posted:

Peppers are growing nicely! The Shishito even has a little baby pepper growing!

Also added a Hibiscus because why not.

Hibiscus tea is my fav

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
Does anyone know/think it's a fools errand to try and grow taller pepper plants (habanero and the like) indoors with a grow box(not hydroponics) that has a max height of 18"? I'm not concerned with having massive yields more just to have something green in my place and have them grow in something more organized than having a bare grow light hanging from the ceiling.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

MasterBuilder posted:

Does anyone know/think it's a fools errand to try and grow taller pepper plants (habanero and the like) indoors with a grow box(not hydroponics) that has a max height of 18"? I'm not concerned with having massive yields more just to have something green in my place and have them grow in something more organized than having a bare grow light hanging from the ceiling.

That's pretty short, but if you're committed to pruning you might be able to convince it. I'd worry that the close lights would end up burning leaves or not being disperse enough to get enough light through, but it might be possible. It's going to depend on your light choice as much as how you prune it, but having grown peppers in a 2.5' tall shelf they can be managed.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Jhet posted:

That's pretty short, but if you're committed to pruning you might be able to convince it. I'd worry that the close lights would end up burning leaves or not being disperse enough to get enough light through, but it might be possible. It's going to depend on your light choice as much as how you prune it, but having grown peppers in a 2.5' tall shelf they can be managed.

I hadn't thought of that issue. This is the mini garden I was looking at. I imagine that I would replace the poles with longer and sturdier if it ever became a huge issue.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

CommonShore posted:

Aspargus has poked up and it looks like it's in the edible range this year for the first time since I planted it in ... I think spring 2021, so I'm stoked. I'll probably also have a spinach and kale harvest in 4-5 days too. Beans peas and carrots are germinating. Most of the transplants look right happy, except the okra and a few of the bulb/storage onions. My Elizabeth variety sauce tomatoes are growing like loving heroes too.

Let us all hope for a lack of disasters for our respective gardens as they wake up for the summer of 2023 in the Northern Hemisphere!

glad to hear asparagus is still just now coming up for folks. I planted about 25 plants last year, they VIGOROUSLY grew, seeded, etc and this year there hasnt been a peep yet and i was starting to worry that they all just died or got root eaten or something

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Real hurthling! posted:

Most problems in life can be solved with a fake owl

I was going go with outdoor cat or vet yet your neighbor’s outdoor cat.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

MasterBuilder posted:

I hadn't thought of that issue. This is the mini garden I was looking at. I imagine that I would replace the poles with longer and sturdier if it ever became a huge issue.

You could consider getting some plastic clips used for bonsai to make it be bushy, and habanero is a good choice for that. But you'll probably end up with only the one plant in that space if you want to be able to convince it to fruit. You'll need to do the pollinating yourself too, but that's easy enough. Should be plenty of light from those LEDs for it, but depending on the temp in your house it may want a heating mat underneath, especially in the fall-winter-spring if you want to convince it to keep flowering and fruiting.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

silicone thrills posted:

glad to hear asparagus is still just now coming up for folks. I planted about 25 plants last year, they VIGOROUSLY grew, seeded, etc and this year there hasnt been a peep yet and i was starting to worry that they all just died or got root eaten or something

That does seem a bit late. We're north of you and we had the first tips show on Apr. 16. But that's a 10 yo bed with multiple varieties and everything is 5 weeks late and fucky this year - our last frost was two weeks ago at the beginning of May instead of the last week of March. The Martha Washingtons we grew from seed were the last to show up long after the other varieties and still hasn't shown any enthusiasm for growing.

I ran into a YouTube video suggesting that if you don't top up the bed with soil every year the roots grow too close to the surface and can be damaged during the winter. Not sure how true that is but adding compost to the bed is now on the calendar, along with the annual seaweed mulch collecting trip to the beach. Maybe that will perk up Martha Washington's interest in life.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

silicone thrills posted:

I've found that I experience that every year, but I'm also pretty sure that I'm one of the coldest/northerly gardens among all of the thread regulars here, so if you're later than me things might not be looking good.

Hexigrammus posted:

That does seem a bit late. We're north of you and we had the first tips show on Apr. 16. But that's a 10 yo bed with multiple varieties and everything is 5 weeks late and fucky this year - our last frost was two weeks ago at the beginning of May instead of the last week of March. The Martha Washingtons we grew from seed were the last to show up long after the other varieties and still hasn't shown any enthusiasm for growing.

I ran into a YouTube video suggesting that if you don't top up the bed with soil every year the roots grow too close to the surface and can be damaged during the winter. Not sure how true that is but adding compost to the bed is now on the calendar, along with the annual seaweed mulch collecting trip to the beach. Maybe that will perk up Martha Washington's interest in life.

I throw leaves and general yard waste on top of my asparagus beds every fall to insulate them.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
yeah mine were well insulated with big leaf maple leaves all winter so i figured that would have been enough. It also wasnt a very cold winter.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
OK, finally planted potatoes, pre-fertilized earlier and now after planting a little too, just to use up the last bit. Here's hoping for a good harvest. I made my own seed potatoes since the cultivar is hard to find.

Genderfluent
Jul 15, 2015

CommonShore posted:

Asparagus question: I planted some bulbs this year and got a couple early shoots. One looks like a normal (but small) asparagus spear, but one is tall and has shoots coming off of the stem. Do you recommend trimming, or just leaving it as is? I'm usually willing to just do nothing, but thought you might have some insight.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

His Divine Shadow posted:

OK, finally planted potatoes, pre-fertilized earlier and now after planting a little too, just to use up the last bit. Here's hoping for a good harvest. I made my own seed potatoes since the cultivar is hard to find.

Nice boulder.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

Genderfluent posted:

Asparagus question: I planted some bulbs this year and got a couple early shoots. One looks like a normal (but small) asparagus spear, but one is tall and has shoots coming off of the stem. Do you recommend trimming, or just leaving it as is? I'm usually willing to just do nothing, but thought you might have some insight.

Asparagus spears are just immature stems of the mature fern. First year you want to let them fern out and focus on growing roots. Just let em do their thing.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

His Divine Shadow posted:

What kind of luck have you had growing potatoes in grow bags? Whenever I've tried it, the plants have been very vigorous, but I've gotten fewer usable potatoes than when I've done them in the ground.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.
We did grow bags precisely once. We had a good crop of tubers but wiresworms made them unusable without paring away half the potato. As far as I can tell there were two contributing factors. The growbags were on dirt that had been turf the previous year. Click beetles like turf and may take a while to vacate the area once you remove it so we had a hungry population just waiting for us to set the table. We had drip irrigation in the bags but they tended to dry out between waterings, opening up cracks in the soil. This provides newly hatched larvae with a highway to lunch.

Next year we put in beds in the same area and kept them well watered. No problems with wireworms.

otoh if we will need to switch to insects as a protein source it might be a way to get ahead of the curve.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I winged a bunch of potatoes that had big rear end growths from the grocery store into my garden around thanksgiving and they have grown some pretty decent plants now... When should I try getting some fresh taters out of the ground?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

I winged a bunch of potatoes that had big rear end growths from the grocery store into my garden around thanksgiving and they have grown some pretty decent plants now... When should I try getting some fresh taters out of the ground?

Depends on what type of potato they are. But usually August/Sept when the tops of the plants start to die back is when they come out. New potatoes are different and are usually sooner. You can try to hand brush the soil away from the top to see what you have down there. Flowering is another sign that they're about ready to be dug out. 60-90 days is pretty common, but we've probably had maybe 30 days of growing season since Thanksgiving?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Jhet posted:

Depends on what type of potato they are. But usually August/Sept when the tops of the plants start to die back is when they come out. New potatoes are different and are usually sooner. You can try to hand brush the soil away from the top to see what you have down there. Flowering is another sign that they're about ready to be dug out. 60-90 days is pretty common, but we've probably had maybe 30 days of growing season since Thanksgiving?

Seemed like mostly yellow potatoes and ill keep an eye out for flowering. They aren't huge. Its funny because they're about the only thing that seem to really be thriving so far for me this year other than my raspberry bushes.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
Fully planted for spring! Everything seems to be starting out great. This yard brought to you complete with store brand u-post propaganda.

Veggie bed with big posts to do a florida weave for tomato trellising. Smaller posts for smaller trellises (cucumbers, peppers).

Three beds with berry plants (big grey ones). I had been trying to grow what was originally 12 blueberry plants and is now 4 thanks to deer/rabbits/poor ground soil for a few years with no luck. They seem to be happy in the amended/raised bed soil and haven't seen much varmint damage yet. There's also one bed containing primocane fruiting blackberries for containment's sake. Each bed is underplanted with strawberries to hopefully provide an edible/living mulch for the bushes. Elderberries are to my left before the first bed, and do not give a single gently caress about anything including being hit with a mower and are thriving.

White beds will be roses but they haven't come in yet. Long row with the posts is all dahlias (50ish? plants. I started out with 8 last year but was really lucky with my first attempt at keeping and dividing tubers) that will be trellised and act as a sort of wall against my berries/roses hopefully. The brave urban deer don't usually get that close to the house to walk around it, but I'm sure they'll prove me wrong.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Can I dry the flowers from my Hibiscus plant (Fiesta Hibiscus) and make tea, or does it need to be a specific variety?

If so, should I cut new flowers, or use the ones that fall off naturally?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Can I just say that everybody in this thread that posts their garden is like a thousand times better at it than the folks in my neighborhood. Everybody here just attempts some podunk bullshit and ends up feeding squirrels unripe garbage. It's nice to see folks have researched, invested gardens that have plans and results, even if there's occasional setbacks. Love it!

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Just wait until I post my first attempt this year... podunk bullshit here we come

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my garden is my attempt at creating a new kind of biome on a building rooftop

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i call it the temperate weedlands

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Me to my wife as I'm assembling yet another compost box: "Don't think of it as weeding, think of it as harvesting compost feedstock."

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

Alucard posted:

Just wait until I post my first attempt this year... podunk bullshit here we come

I can't see even see Podunk from here. No self-respecting Podunkian would put up with the state of my garden.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Annath posted:

Can I dry the flowers from my Hibiscus plant (Fiesta Hibiscus) and make tea, or does it need to be a specific variety?

If so, should I cut new flowers, or use the ones that fall off naturally?

I'm not going to tell you 'no you can't' as many people do exactly this. However hibiscus tea is general made form a specific plant. Roselle or Sorrell or Florida cranberry and a bunch of other names it's known by. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roselle_(plant)
Further more it's not even the flowers you use its the caylix which covers the flower and protects the seeds. I'm growing my first 5 in the ground this year in Arizona. Planted April and harvest is around Thanksgiving. They apparently LOVE the 100+ temps here.
Here is the local az lady who talks about growing and care and use. https://growinginthegarden.com/how-to-grow-roselle-hibiscus-growing-jamaican-sorrel/

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Busy as gently caress weekend so far. Put in a patio for a firepit, made labels for my plants, and managed to keep my hrdoponics tower alive

Gosl tommorow is de-grassing my beds and topping up the mulch

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

SubG posted:

What kind of luck have you had growing potatoes in grow bags? Whenever I've tried it, the plants have been very vigorous, but I've gotten fewer usable potatoes than when I've done them in the ground.

Ah those grow bags are my fiances experiment, I didn't plant anything there, she planted... flowers?

What kind of fertilizer were you using? Certain fertilizer like chicken based has too much nitrogen and that leads to potato plants forming more blasts and less tubers. Cow dung based fertilizer, that's the stuff for potatoes. Or I guess which ever bag at the store says for potatoes on it.