Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Since we're talking about terrible commentary/color I'm going to talk about the Lawler/Vince commentary on Aja Kong vs Chaparita Asari.

We've heard about the match before, how it was allegedly so brutal it put Vince off of booking Joshi at all but the part that stuck out to me was the commentary.
loving Aja Kong in the ring and the only thing Lawler can really notice about her is that she looks fat. I am not a big Joshi by any stretch of the imagination but that's like judging fine wine from the sound it makes when its poured (but grosser). So Lawler starts setting up this joke involving Aja and Fat Boy. I don't know who he's referring to, there are many rappers who use some variation of 'Fat Boy' but Lawler mentions he passed away. Lawler keeps trying to work the joke, which is both a fat joke and a joke concerning the recently deceased. To the point that Vince loving McMahon tries to tell him 'hey let's talk about wrestling instead'. But Lawler keeps going with his stupid joke, which goes nowhere, despite his boss trying to throw him a loving life raft and kill the bit.

I do not remember Lawler being that bad growing up. Maybe it's because I was 15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

MassRafTer posted:

I think he stinks and sounds annoying.

And is a bad person.

Might change my vote to Mark Pickle Rick.

pickering isn't that bad

i love him but jim valley made that stardom in america ppv so much worse than it was

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Lawler is the all time worst. If Jerry Lawler's voice was a wrestler, it would be Jeff Jarrett

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Hey at this rate Jarrett’s AEW run is going to turn him into a universally beloved elder statesman, Lawler could never have that

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Answers Me posted:

Hey at this rate Jarrett’s AEW run is going to turn him into a universally beloved elder statesman, Lawler could never have that

"Going to"? :raise:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

MassRafTer posted:

I think he stinks and sounds annoying.

And is a bad person.

Might change my vote to Mark Pickle Rick.

Pickering comes across as a proper loving weirdo on social media who needs to log off instead ended up running the company's English language Twitter. But as far as English commentary teams for Japanese wrestling I'm alright with him and Fulton. Not the greatest but tolerable enough that I don't automatically switch to the Japanese announcers

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I’ve seen clips of NOAH with the English commentary and I think I understand the Japanese announcers better despite not speaking a word of Japanese

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

Since we're talking about terrible commentary/color I'm going to talk about the Lawler/Vince commentary on Aja Kong vs Chaparita Asari.

We've heard about the match before, how it was allegedly so brutal it put Vince off of booking Joshi at all but the part that stuck out to me was the commentary.
loving Aja Kong in the ring and the only thing Lawler can really notice about her is that she looks fat. I am not a big Joshi by any stretch of the imagination but that's like judging fine wine from the sound it makes when its poured (but grosser). So Lawler starts setting up this joke involving Aja and Fat Boy. I don't know who he's referring to, there are many rappers who use some variation of 'Fat Boy' but Lawler mentions he passed away. Lawler keeps trying to work the joke, which is both a fat joke and a joke concerning the recently deceased. To the point that Vince loving McMahon tries to tell him 'hey let's talk about wrestling instead'. But Lawler keeps going with his stupid joke, which goes nowhere, despite his boss trying to throw him a loving life raft and kill the bit.

I do not remember Lawler being that bad growing up. Maybe it's because I was 15.

having not heard the commentary in a long time i am assuming lawler is making a joke about the atomic bombings.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

having not heard the commentary in a long time i am assuming lawler is making a joke about the atomic bombings.

nah he was trying to make a joke about Darren Robinson, member of the 80s hip hop group the Fat Boys who died in late 95

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

And he just called him 'Fat Boy'. No wonder I couldn't figure out who the hell he was talking about.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Alaois posted:

nah he was trying to make a joke about Darren Robinson, member of the 80s hip hop group the Fat Boys who died in late 95

No way there were jokes about him in Lawlers 1950s joke book.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

No way there were jokes about him in Lawlers 1950s joke book.

why do you think he couldn't get the joke out of his mouth, he was trying to come up with one on the spot and couldn't do it lmao

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
How was WM2 structured for the fans in the buildings? Were there dark matches going on before each venue's slot or were people really just there to see 2 or 3 matches and then squint at the screens the rest of the night?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

The person Lawler was referring to was Darren Robinson of the Fat Boys who died the day prior:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Robinson_(rapper)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Gaz-L posted:

How was WM2 structured for the fans in the buildings? Were there dark matches going on before each venue's slot or were people really just there to see 2 or 3 matches and then squint at the screens the rest of the night?

They watched the rest on closed circuit. No clue what the viewing experience was but closed circuit was more common in those days so I imagine it wasn't too bad.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Gimmick names like One Man Gang notwithstanding, has anyone ever actually done a "One Man Tag Team" gimmick where they only wrestle handicap matches against tag champions?

The only example close to that I can think of is last year when Ben-K got all weird and said he wanted to be his own tag partner, but they never really went anywhere with that.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Bonk posted:

Gimmick names like One Man Gang notwithstanding, has anyone ever actually done a "One Man Tag Team" gimmick where they only wrestle handicap matches against tag champions?

The only example close to that I can think of is last year when Ben-K got all weird and said he wanted to be his own tag partner, but they never really went anywhere with that.

There was that time when Braun Strowman won the tag team championship with a literal kid as his partner. I think that should count.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

There was that time Kurt Angle beat Samoa Joe for the tna tag belts, does that count?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

It was only one match, but Darby Allin getting the hot tag from himself was one of the best early Dynamite moments.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Who belongs on the Mount Rushmore of ECW?

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Sabu, Dreamer, RVD, Raven

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sandman making different faces

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

taz, sandman, terry funk, mack daddy kane

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Alaois posted:

Hell yeah

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

No idea who’d be on it but I know who’d be dancing atop it

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Johnny Hotbody, Tony Stetson, Tommy Cairo & JT Smith

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Stevie Wonderful four different times

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Benne posted:

Stevie Wonderful four different times

And now I'm mad at myself for forgetting him and Hunter Q. Robbins III

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

forkboy84 posted:

Johnny Hotbody, Tony Stetson, Tommy Cairo & JT Smith

Sorry, if JT Smith is gonna be on there then one of the other spaces has to be reserved for him having a huge lump on his head

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Gonna say New Jack 4 times just in case his ghost is around.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Christian, Jake Hager, Matt Cardona and Kane (you need a guy who wanted to own slaves)

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Alaois posted:

History Comes Inside! posted:

:rubby: deep cut there

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
sabus face would be on the bottom of other side of the mountain

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Christian, Jake Hager, Matt Cardona and Kane (you need a guy who wanted to own slaves)

please refer to him by his proper title of Deathmatch King Matt Cardona tyvm

closet statist
Mar 9, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Mike Awesome, RVD, Sabu, Jerry Lynn

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Sandman, RVD, Taz, New Jack

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Kosmo Gallion posted:

elijah burke, christian, cm punk, big show

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Johnny Curtis, DJ Gabriel, durag Vince, big Zeke

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Francine, Tammy Lynn, Dawn Marie, JASON THE SEXIEST MAN ALIVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

ItohRespectArmy posted:

elijah burke, christian, cm punk, big show

History Comes Inside! posted:

The lowhanging fruit tastes best. Glad someone grabbed them :)