Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Almost done with the Vol 1 Omnibus of New Republic comics reprinted by Marvel, all about Rogue Squadron. I've liked it for the most part, although Stackpole's writing can get a little wonky, although perhaps that's because at my age I speedread comics rather keep going back and forth to pick up on details I've missed.

Are the Rogue Squadron books similar quality to the comics? Does Rogue Squadron lose some long-term characters here and there to remind readers how dangerous and unpredictable combat can be? About the only turnoff i've had reading the comics is aside from one story or two stories, Rogue Squadron hasn't really lost any characters. I know that most of them appear in Star Wars Union so I assume that most of the majors probably don't die, but just curious. You don't have to say names if any of the major characters (Hobbie, Janson, Avar, Feylis, etc.) do die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
The Stackpole books do have some character deaths, but they're not really bloody in that way. The justification you get for that in Allston's followups (which are pretty happy to kill off characters left and right) is that Rogue Squadron are generally seasoned veterans at this point, so they don't have the regular level of attrition.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Are the Rogue Squadron books similar quality to the comics? Does Rogue Squadron lose some long-term characters here and there to remind readers how dangerous and unpredictable combat can be? About the only turnoff i've had reading the comics is aside from one story or two stories, Rogue Squadron hasn't really lost any characters. I know that most of them appear in Star Wars Union so I assume that most of the majors probably don't die, but just curious. You don't have to say names if any of the major characters (Hobbie, Janson, Avar, Feylis, etc.) do die.

The Rogue Squadron books are mostly separate from the comics. The comics take place mostly in the year or so after Endor, while the books start about a year after that (Two years after Endor), where Wedge is reforming the squadron with a completely new roster after most of the previous pilots have moved on. Wedge and Tycho are IIRC the only two from the comics still heavily involved in the plot during the first four novels. A few others are named once or twice but don’t appear, such as Janson and Hobbie who are off as instructors.

That said Stackpole mostly focuses on Wedge and a few characters he created, notably Corran Horn and Gavin Darklighter. The Rogues do suffer casualties in the books but, very mild spoiler here (No names) they’re usually characters with minimal development. They’ll be names that are listed in the dramatis personae at the start of the book, but don’t do much before getting killed. By later his books, you can tell which characters aren’t likely to make it before getting to the first page.

The only one that is really connected to the comics is Stackpole’s fifth and last Rogue book (But the 8th in the series), Isard’s Revenge, which is very much a sequel to events from some of the later Rogue comics involving Admiral Krennel and a few other character.

Stackpole’s books are fun enough and entertaining, but Aaron Allston’s Wraith books are far better and some of the best stuff in the old EU. Allston does a much better job developing all the characters in Wraith Squadron, so when they do actually start taking losses, it’s much more meaningful.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

yeah the stackpole books are mostly just top gun in space. they're fun, and they do a lot of the foundational world-building for the legends EU alongside zahn, but allston's trilogy is what you're looking for if you want stakes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, besides Isard's Revenge which is absolutely a continuation of the comics as much as a continuation of the earlier books (as well as going on directly from the end of the Thrawn Trilogy), without spoilers the Bacta War novel prominently features one of the comics characters, and the Family Ties storyline of the comic has a few of the novel characters, but that's about it for crossover.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do think the Rogue Squadron comics are probably the only place we really see Tycho and Winter together, which is otherwise a relationship that felt like it took place almost entirely offscreen.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Started watching the new collection of Visions in no particular order, but I did start with "I Am Your Mother" given I really like Aardman's animation. It's a cute story and refreshing to have something that isn't about galaxy-shattering ramifications or light/dark side Force conflicts, but also it has a bit of connection to the new EU (Wedge leads a pilot academy on Chandrila in the New Republic era). Also, I think this is the first time Chandrila has been depicted on-screen.

Only other one I've watched so far is Sith, which had very little story but great visuals and use of the Force (to paint). Felt very Samurai Jack-ish.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I wonder what sort of direction each of the animation studios received from Lucasfilm for their shorts - there's a lot of thematic connectivity that feels too consistent to be accidental. Most of the first season episodes focused really specifically on Lightsabers and Kyber as powerful artifacts, while the current season seems to focus a lot on family relationships and having characters with Force awakenings.

Season 2 also feels a lot more plausibly canon than Season 1, which seems like the kind of thing that would be a corporate decision, given how out there some of the Season 1 shorts were.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Does anyone have a print version of the Tales of the Jedi Vol 2 Epic Collection? A few Amazon reviews mention some major misprints (the end of Nomi Sunrider's last issue and part of the first issue of Freedon Nadd Uprising are apparently missing), and I'm wondering if that's a problem in every copy or just a particular bad batch.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

My copy is fine, so it's probably not a universal issue.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Great, thanks.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

How was Battle Scars?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Dawgstar posted:

How was Battle Scars?

Serviceable, but pretty paint-by-numbers

Was interesting seeing things from Merrin's point of view though

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Lord Hydronium posted:

Does anyone have a print version of the Tales of the Jedi Vol 2 Epic Collection? A few Amazon reviews mention some major misprints (the end of Nomi Sunrider's last issue and part of the first issue of Freedon Nadd Uprising are apparently missing), and I'm wondering if that's a problem in every copy or just a particular bad batch.

I have it, no reprints I can see but I'll check when I get it back from my friend who I lent it to.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are there any artbooks that compile the star wars art done by Tommy Lee Edwards? Some of his stuff from the Chronology and Jedi Vs Sith books is fantastic.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011
Some of his other work is the worst « art theft and filters » stuff in the EGTW however.

On the other hand, he made Oliphants and Gondorian soldiers canon to SW, so lmao.

E: but to be not just a snark: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Images_by_Tommy_Lee_Edwards

ecureuilmatrix fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 11, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ecureuilmatrix posted:

Some of his other work is the worst « art theft and filters » stuff in the EGTW however.

On the other hand, he made Oliphants and Gondorian soldiers canon to SW, so lmao.

E: but to be not just a snark: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Images_by_Tommy_Lee_Edwards

Oh I know he's got a lot of insane art rips that suck but on the occasions where he actually draws something it can look nice.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Arc Hammer posted:

Oh I know he's got a lot of insane art rips that suck but on the occasions where he actually draws something it can look nice.

Which makes it even stranger, in a sense.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Finished a re-read of the Dark Horse KOTOR comics and I really miss that crew. Jarael never quite got the focus I would have liked but she was never just ignored or anything like other SW characters have been. (Apparently at some point I bout her outfit in SWTOR. It's no longer sold in the Cartel Market for reasons I am unclear on.) It's a very solid series and certainly in comics these days it feels rare to let a writer to just go off and do their own thing for ages.

Minor thoughts:

The big inter-series crossover that involved the origin of the rakghouls was not terribly intrusive as it starts in KOTOR.

John Jackson Miller - who honestly I've never disliked anything I read of - seemed to really like breaking the "Planet of Hats" trope with SW aliens. First Griff and Snivvians like art, so he likes the art of the deal. Then he branches out more and you have what I think are the first goofy Trandoshan (if a master chef) and stupid Ithorians. Even one of Zayne's fellow Padawans was apparently a Falleen.

It was clever to have the 'no romantic attachments' Jedi be a vocal minority that became a majority later, even if you always had people who ignored it and got away with it. Ki Adi Mundi had his... harem question mark and even in SWTOR Bastila/Revan descendant Satele Shan had a son and nobody seemed super eager to drum her out of the order for it.
--

I've also been reading some High Republic stuff. After going through this and the last thread's backlog and the... good heavens... of earlier work it's nice to have Jedi who try to process their feelings, as an article I read said. I'm not going HAM on the multimedia enterprise, though. For whatever reason I'm sticking with stuff that has Vern as a central focus. The Nihil are so far a bit underwhelming as villains but she's fun and her Master/Padawan relationship with Imri who's like a year younger than Vern is interesting.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A number of places are reporting that the Galactic Starcruiser is going to close permanently this September. Han and Leia got their honeymoon in just in time!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Chairman Capone posted:

A number of places are reporting that the Galactic Starcruiser is going to close permanently this September. Han and Leia got their honeymoon in just in time!

Lol.

Holy poo poo Disney. Just from start to finish this was bad. Can't wait for the defunctland on jt

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It was way too expensive and the end result looked really cheap.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I know the dystopian prison in Andor was inspired by THX, but I also wonder if the set designers maybe took a bit of inspiration from the hotel, too.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's really nice when you're actually there, but they've fluffed the marketing on this to a ridiculous degree.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I'm one of the suckers who would have liked to do it if I had the money, so it's a little sad that they couldn't make it work.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I heard they shuttled you around at such a breakneck pace from activity you couldn't really enjoy anything and sometimes didn't even have time to change clothes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I also heard that, but it was from the theatre kids who were planning to change costumes for dinner and then again for hanging out in the bar after dinner and...

So yeah, I can see why they had that problem.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

I also heard that, but it was from the theatre kids who were planning to change costumes for dinner and then again for hanging out in the bar after dinner and...

So yeah, I can see why they had that problem.

If it helps, in this case I heard it from a fairly average family and it was the big send off dinner and they wanted to change but they only had like ten minutes between that and playing sabacc or whatever.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I'm betting they just change a few things and reopen as a normal but still pricey hotel. If they do that they'll probably have no problem selling rooms.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Humerus posted:

I'm betting they just change a few things and reopen as a normal but still pricey hotel. If they do that they'll probably have no problem selling rooms.
Jenny Nicholson thinks it’s unlikely.

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/1659378788655058945?s=20

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dawgstar posted:

If it helps, in this case I heard it from a fairly average family and it was the big send off dinner and they wanted to change but they only had like ten minutes between that and playing sabacc or whatever.
I think I had four hours between those two things :psyduck:

I mean it might have been their bridge event or whatever but you get your timetable ahead of time so it's not hard to plan around it.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Casimir Radon posted:

This. I don't understand why they went ahead with it, when it should have been obvious from the planning stage that it would cost too much for the average visitor and that they couldn't pull off the sort of luxury experience that would justify the price.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/AspyrMedia/status/1664784147867480070?s=20

I get that this is disappointing for anyone who bought the game on Switch but I am wondering how in the world they were going to release the restored content patch to begin with when it has always been a fan project from the outset.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
It got made quasi official with the recent steam release -- they took the stems workshop mod and made it a listed piece of content instead

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/AspyrMedia/status/1664784147867480070?s=20

I get that this is disappointing for anyone who bought the game on Switch but I am wondering how in the world they were going to release the restored content patch to begin with when it has always been a fan project from the outset.
Any of the content that was "restored" rather than created to fill gaps is still technically the property of the devs, so it's kind of in that messy grey area where they thought they had the rights to it I guess?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arquinsiel posted:

Any of the content that was "restored" rather than created to fill gaps is still technically the property of the devs, so it's kind of in that messy grey area where they thought they had the rights to it I guess?

Does that include custom animations or voice acting, though? Because the mod includes those as well.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's all stuff created to fill gaps, but it's also going to be the thorniest to untangle because it's fanworks derived from an owned IP. I wouldn't want to be on the legal team that has to unfuck that.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

bunnyofdoom posted:

Holy poo poo Disney. Just from start to finish this was bad. Can't wait for the defunctland on jt

Defunctland is one of the best channels on YouTube. I have no particular interest in amusement parks and related content, but his 20
minute vids on some ride I've never heard of in a park I've never heard of are a suprisingly compelling viewing experience.

And then there's his extended series on Jim Henson and the Muppets. That's must-see YT for anyone with any taste at all,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5jJQ2IeDvE

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
My local library has a couple old Legends books for sale at $1 a piece. Got Kenobi and two YJK books by Anderson for my kids to read one day. They had a bunch of other ones, including Crystal Star and a few others that I've heard are stinkers, but might still by to be a completionist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Just saw that "Order 66" is trending on Twitter. I can only imagine which deranged political movement has started using it as a meme for what ends.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

My local library has a couple old Legends books for sale at $1 a piece. Got Kenobi and two YJK books by Anderson for my kids to read one day. They had a bunch of other ones, including Crystal Star and a few others that I've heard are stinkers, but might still by to be a completionist.

Kenobi is great. I'll say that for $1, Crystal Star is weird enough to buy and read just to experience how bizarre it is.

I'm curious how kids today would react to reading YJK, not just because things like Rebels or TCW exist that kind of fit that niche and the sequels lay out a completely alternate "real" universe for Han and Leia's offspring and Luke's students (kind of funny in retrospect that people thought Tenel Ka losing her arm was a dark thing to do to a Jedi student), but also young adult literature has changed so much and the books are very nineties in their topics, especially the "don't do drugs!" messaging of I think the last arc.