Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Unkempt posted:

Stupid resin printing question: for some reason, I'm having immense difficulty printing something that's basically a cylinder. In chitubox, it looks like this:

But when I print it, the bottom corner nearest the plate always gets hosed up and distorted, like this:

Kind of hard to see in my lovely phone pics, but basically it looks rippled, warped and glossy for some reason. Top of the print away from the plate is fine.

Before I waste too much more resin, opinions? More supports? Different angle? Up the exposure time? Anything else I haven't thought of?

This is an inevitable part of the process of resin printing. If nobody else links it before I get home from work I can put in a YouTube video that gives a really great visual explanation. I will attempt it in words, but think of trying to hold up a tent with tentpoles. In between each pole the tent is going to sag. In this case the tentpoles are your supports, and the tent is the first few layers of cured resin facing towards the plate as it gets built. Once there are a few layers there is a solid foundation for new stuff to adhere to without warping, but the first few layers will be about as thick as a piece of hair meaning they're a little wibbly wobbly and flop around a bit in between supports.

In most cases reorienting the parts that can be warped and flawed without causing issues so that they face towards the plate is a solution. More and more supports is another. I have sometimes also re-worked some models to include sacrificial extra parts that get built first, then trimmed off later leaving behind the part I care about to be built solidly and as smooth as the cut I make. Multiple solutions to the problem, even the one outlined above of putting it flat to the plate. Will leave a little bit of elephant's footing, but that can be trimmed off with a hobby knife pretty easily.

Word of warning though if you're trimming/sanding printed resin, do that poo poo outside with a good respirator or wet sand them or something. Don't gently caress around with resin dust in the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

All of the resin slicers nowadays also have parameters you can adjust to dial out elephant's foot. It can take a few tries to get it really tuned in, but it's pretty awesome when it's all working.

Unless there's an obvious need to do otherwise (and to be fair, there frequently is), print stuff flat on the build plate if you can.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
I love the print results I'm getting from my Bambu P1P, but holy poo poo the network connection is driving me crazy.

The network adapter on the printer can only handle 2.4 GHz wireless networks, and it has trouble connecting if you use a dual-band automatic connection.

So I split my wireless into two separate networks, just for this printer. It was able to connect, and everything was fine...

...until I turned it off for a day. Then it couldn't connect again and was giving me DHCP errors. I went into my router and forced a static IP for the printer's MAC address, and everything was fine...

...until I turned it off again. Now when it turns on it can see the network but won't grab an IP address. When I check the MAC address on the printer, it has the wrong one (it now starts with a 00: instead of what it originally had). Since the router doesn't recognize the different MAC address, it doesn't give it the static IP, and the printer is too dumb to get a dynamic one via DHCP. Before anyone asks, it also doesn't work with the MAC address starting with 00.

I've now tried a factory reset on the printer, which fixed nothing but made me waste ~25 minutes while it recalibrated everything.

Everything else about this printer is amazing, but the networking setup makes it feel like something designed circa 2005. I'm back to copying .gcode files to a SD card, so I can't watch the camera or status realtime.

Has anyone else run into this? I've found some similar stories via Google searching, but I've tried most of the proposed solutions with no luck.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Changing MACs is pretty bizarre, that stuff is usually physically burned in to the adapter. Doubly so for low processor power objects that don't want to be dorking around with virtual NICs. I'd be curious why it changed.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

WhiteHowler posted:

...until I turned it off for a day.

...until I turned it off again.

Can you not just leave the printer on? Mines been on 24/7 since I got it a few months ago. Just sitting idle it's not really using any power anyways.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

mattfl posted:

Can you not just leave the printer on? Mines been on 24/7 since I got it a few months ago. Just sitting idle it's not really using any power anyways.

The first time, yes, the second time, no because I was moving it to a more sturdy table. Which I'll need to do again soon. Plus I live in an area where storms briefly knock out the power pretty often in the spring/summer.

Just seems bizarre that a simple thing like connecting to wifi is giving me such problems.

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

I had to turn off the dual-band network meshing thing for my asus router too as it caused a lot of connection issues with my raspberry pi's specifically. The wireless connections are far more stable now too with a lot of clients connected.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Opinionated posted:

I had to turn off the dual-band network meshing thing for my asus router too as it caused a lot of connection issues with my raspberry pi's specifically. The wireless connections are far more stable now too with a lot of clients connected.

Yeah, I turned that off and it fixed it temporarily for the P1P, but now I can't get it to connect at all.

Wireless connections seem like something that should be worked out by 2023.

Edit: Got it to connect again for now. I did a factory reset on the printer and a reboot on my wireless router, and it picked up the static IP on the first try. My first generation Kindle doesn't have this much trouble getting on my wifi.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 17, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Feeling like I can see the Matrix code flowing upon realizing using my bbq gloves gives me the right combination of hand agility and heat protection to directly handle the hot end/etc. maintain stuff while it's at temp

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I'm unmothballing my printer again. What's the consensus on using 0.6mm nozzles for 0.4mm kind of prints nowadays? IIRC the Arachne slicing engine in Prusa/Cura can do that just fine?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm unmothballing my printer again. What's the consensus on using 0.6mm nozzles for 0.4mm kind of prints nowadays? IIRC the Arachne slicing engine in Prusa/Cura can do that just fine?

Most of my printers are using 0.6mm and it's been great.

Only thing I've noticed is that my prusa has issues on super fine text vs my bambu with the the 0.4mm nozzle. Otherwise it's amounted to faster prints,thicker layers for strength etc

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

My friend had a statue he made that fell off the wall and broke a couple years ago. I'd like to 3d print it for him. I have a handful of photos from random old cameras of it pre-broken. What is the easiest program to throw them into that will spit out a 3d object? All the ones I Google want to use my phone to take new photos with all the lidar info and whatnot.

Then, what is the easiest program to touch it up in? I'm new to all of that and kinda want to use this to dip my toes into 3d modeling but like have a purpose.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You can't do photogrammetry with a handful of photos from different cameras. You need several dozen to hundreds of photos from the same camera taken in the same lighting and scene. Even then it's not a straightforward process. There is no way to just take some pictures and have the computer spit out a finished ready-to-print 3D model.

"Touching up" a 3D scan is not an easy task so there is no program that can do it easily. Blender is your best bet, but there will be a steep learning curve.

I would definitely not suggest working with 3D scans as a way to dip your toes into 3D modeling. Do the blender donut tutorial instead.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

Well, phooey. Living in the future sucks. I think I have a video of it on some random hard drive. maybe I can strip the frames from that and use them if I find it. Oh well.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

This is a five year old video about photogrammetry but you can see the process, photos every 10 degrees and then at three different heights. More is better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2VazVGm7TU

You may need to recreate it wholesale with software to get what you're looking for which is going to be challenging.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Anyone else ever use their printer to aid breadmaking? Got a loaf rising on my bed at this moment because I keep my house cool.

I swear it's unrelated to my bed needing cleaning the other day

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I try to keep my food away from my melted plastics and resins.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Why not just leaven the dough in the oven? Putting on just the light will warm it gently (I tend to turn it off after an hour or so. ), or you can just heat it up for half a minute or so and then leave the dough in.
Or just pour some hot water in a mug and leave it there.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Unperson_47 posted:

Anyone else ever use their printer to aid breadmaking? Got a loaf rising on my bed at this moment because I keep my house cool.

I swear it's unrelated to my bed needing cleaning the other day

I do not do this, no.

I have used the heated bed to gently warm the big jar with acetone in the bottom that I use for ABS smoothing, though. It seems like the safest way to do it when the sun isn't up.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

I have used the heated bed to gently warm the big jar with acetone in the bottom that I use for ABS smoothing, though. It seems like the safest way to do it when the sun isn't up.

Ah drat, this is a good idea.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Josef Prusa i3 Master Chef by Josef Prusa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbe4_mAA__s

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I just read an article that the unity engine introduced a new feature where ai will create a nice 3d model mesh from text prompts

It's much more likely you will get the statue generated (eg "a statue in the style of Michelangelo except arms raised like rocky and huge genitals) and taking it as is or using blender to edit the model and exporting an srl then using several poor photos to donate 3d render ala CSI

Although there probably is an so thing that will do it, and I know blender can generate a 3d model from 2d but that is to add depth not do exactly what is needed.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Whoa, check this out (not my print)

It's this model https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5956601 and eSun PLA+ light brown, scaled up 125% and default fuzzy skin settings. Looks dope af

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

That looks amazing, and it just so happens I got 2 rolls of wood pla a few days ago :sickos:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
What do people glue PLA together with? I see a product called loctite, epoxy, and a 3D pen all get brought up a lot.

Is there a particular product or technique this thread has a consensus on? I actually have a 3D pen laying around somewhere I could hook up but from what I read it seems like the resulting bond is extremely brittle.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Neo Rasa posted:

What do people glue PLA together with? I see a product called loctite, epoxy, and a 3D pen all get brought up a lot.

Is there a particular product or technique this thread has a consensus on? I actually have a 3D pen laying around somewhere I could hook up but from what I read it seems like the resulting bond is extremely brittle.

Standard superglue.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

What to use depends entirely on what you're attaching to what and how. If there's no rotational force, superglue will work great, though it'll likely leave some white residue.
Epoxy is good sometimes, 3d gloop, 3d pens, it all depends on what exactly you're doing.

But tbh just get some superglue. and build out your toolkit from there.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Neo Rasa posted:

Loctite is a brand that makes a number of adhesives. Probably when people say that in the context of gluing 3d prints they mean their gel super glue.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I use clear Gorilla Glue - the polyurethane, not the CA - for large surface area bonds, and Starbond's CA glues (they have thin, regular, and thick formulas as well as an accelerator) for smaller/quicker stuff.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Weld-on IPS-16 for when you want the two pieces of PLA to stick together within seconds, and never come apart again without breaking after a little while.

Stuff you can buy at a hardware store:

- Gel superglue for general gluing pieces together
- E-6000 for more serious gap-filling ability / tough joints that is not too bad for cleanup or wiping excess if you have an oopsie
- Gorilla Glue (the expanding polyurethane stuff) if you don't mind clamping and waiting, need gap filling, don't care much if any leaks a little/ugly, and you never ever need it to come apart again

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

My Ender 3 struggles continue. I have default cura settings at 0.2 layer height but with 70% infill. My first layer looks good, then my second looks like absolute hell.

I've calibrated the E-steps, did a PID autotune, swapped out nozzles, and wrestled with overextruding until I finally had to drop it down to 70% to have even partway decent prints. The same roll of filament was fine at 100% before I replaced my hot end, so I have no idea.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 18, 2023

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Floppychop posted:

The same roll of filament was fine at 100% before I replaced my hot end, so I have no idea.

Bu default cura does the first layer much slower than other layers. maybe something went wrong with the hotend install and you are having flow rate issues? That would match up with the weirdness you are experiencing, but you should do a flow rate test to be sure.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003

My son wants me to make him a ball. He's going to decorate it with his 3d pen. I'm assuming it's going to get thrown around a bit. What infill style and percent should I use with petg?

Edit. Also I guess what walls and top and bottom thickness?

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 00:43 on May 19, 2023

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

PETG is tough in a lot of ways, but it likes to shatter when it hits a hard surface so maybe consider ABS or some such

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Would TPU be an option, so it deforms instead of shattering?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

RodShaft posted:

My son wants me to make him a ball. He's going to decorate it with his 3d pen. I'm assuming it's going to get thrown around a bit. What infill style and percent should I use with petg?

Edit. Also I guess what walls and top and bottom thickness?

i'd start with like 3-4 walls and maybe 6 top and bottom layers, 15% infill, and it'll be pretty tough

but yeah if the kid's going to throw it around it's going to break eventually. i wonder how well TPU runs in a 3D pen? cause i second the idea above

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

i wonder how well TPU runs in a 3D pen? cause i second the idea above
Looking at some 3d pen specs, they seem to run at the right temps for TPU, but IDK if I trust the cheap extruder mechanisms in a pen to handle flexible filament. ...by technicality they are direct drive I guess, and it's not like you have to worry about speed changes and retractions so maybe it's fine?
oh and you would *need* to run TPU in the pen as well, cause PLA doesn't stick to TPU.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

anycubic 12k resin printer that doesnt require levelling. Theyre claiming some stupid fast print speeds that I dont know about...

Using a new ASL film instead of a fep which seems like a solid upgrade, but the claim of 150mm of print height in an hour feels like marketting dogshit. Used a high speed resin they made, so maybe thats the trade-off and theyre using some garbage 1sec per layer brittle stuff

video shows 814 layers in 45 minutes, which is true is night and day vs pretty much anything else out there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RstxtGOGKqE

Edit: found it, theyre marketting material is printing at 0.1mm layer heights. Math might still be there between the fep/resin to be an upgrade, but Id be curious if you could get the same numbers elsewhere

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 19, 2023

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Unless you are running a shop I don't think print speed really matters. I can print faster than I can paint with my Saturn 2. Especially if you run something before going to bed. At that point who cares if it is 2 hours or 8 hours.

Would be interested to know how their slicer is. Seems like the printer might have some built in quality of life stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

run something before going to bed.

wtf