Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

IT BURNS posted:

Their chocolate shake doesn't quite....taste like chocolate to me? Sort of like vanilla plus a little extra flavor.

But it is cool and good to drink on a long trip back from the Island.

It's chocolate malt flavoring so it NEVER tastes chocolate enough that I have to use hershey syrup when I get home to get it to "Federally Approved Chocolate levels™". This is why I usually go with Strawberry flavoring.

In more politicking relevant stuff: https://twitter.com/LaFronteraFund/status/1659196587934089223?cxt=HHwWjoDQxbCg04YuAAAA

In CBP related poo poo they let another kid die in Harlingen: https://twitter.com/pblodlr/status/1659021381055422464?cxt=HHwWgICxyf_Jg4YuAAAA

This one is from a few weeks back but it's nice to see that now it's not just Boca Chica that's affected but the whole island now. https://twitter.com/DrChrisCombs/status/1656762126151700480?cxt=HHwWgMC-6YaYgP4tAAAA

If anyone listens to Behind the Bastards they have a very comprehensive history of the Border Patrol back from 2020 in two episodes it's really really depressing and the RGV has had a huge part in its inception outside of people being murdered but also as a staging area for the CIA to train Central and South American police to murder their own dissidents in their respective countries!

Link to Part One:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdStIvC8WeE

Jiro fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Proud Christian Mom posted:

monterrey melt was best

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Look, it may be normie of me, but it doesn't get better than the patty melt.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the house incorporated the senate homestead into their property tax bill but kept their own 5% cap; patrick is threatening to ask abbott for a special to get his version. am i rooting for a special session now

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Where did you see that

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

monterrey melt was best

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

If Whataburger isn't currently offering the Dr Pepper shake, I don't get a shake.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

monterrey melt was best

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
chophouse cheddar burger above all

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
How quickly y'all forget the pico burger.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I actually got whataburger for dinner yesterday because we've been talking about it lol

(double w/ cheese and jalapenos - the secret to a good whataburger is double meat double cheese)

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

zoux posted:

I actually got whataburger for dinner yesterday because we've been talking about it lol

(double w/ cheese and jalapenos - the secret to a good whataburger is double meat double cheese)

gently caress I'm agreeing with zoux.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Everyone agrees with me all the time because I'm right about everything.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

duz posted:

If Whataburger isn't currently offering the Dr Pepper shake, I don't get a shake.

salted caramel, rip

zoux posted:

Everyone agrees with me all the time because I'm right about everything.

did you sub texas toast

zoux posted:

Where did you see that

https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/...ax-relief-bill/

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This reporter doesn't know ball because in that same April PC where Dan Patrick said caps are a non starter he also said it was his kokoro wish that one day the homestead exemption would be 100k, which it is in the House bill. Patrick hasn't said poo poo about the new version, my sense is that he'd immediately poo poo on it if it was DOA.

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1659587296235237376

Once she threatens to knock all senate bills off the local calendar, then it really will be the end of session.

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:55 on May 19, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

This reporter doesn't know ball because in that same April PC where Dan Patrick said caps are a non starter he also said it was his kokoro wish that one day the homestead exemption would be 100k, which it is in the House bill. Patrick hasn't said poo poo about the new version, my sense is that he'd immediately poo poo on it if it was DOA.

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1659587296235237376

Once she threatens to knock all senate bills off the local calendar, then it really will be the end of session.

patrick could be insulting the bill by not saying anything, similar to you admitting you didn't sub toast

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007
It's a yearly tradition for each chamber to spite the other by killing bills. May of odd-numbered years is spite month, and every day gets meaner than the day before.

Those three special sessions in 2021 were just never-ending Mays.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i say swears online posted:

patrick could be insulting the bill by not saying anything, similar to you admitting you didn't sub toast

I will freely admit I did not sub toast because I had no gravy to dip it in.

I don't know whether Patrick will take the deal or not, but basing that on negotiating-in-the-media from a two month old press conference on a bill that doesn't exist is, well par for the course for local radio stations that don't have state bureaus.

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

It's a yearly tradition for each chamber to spite the other by killing bills. May of odd-numbered years is spite month, and every day gets meaner than the day before.

Those three special sessions in 2021 were just never-ending Mays.

How do you rate the quorum break strategy now that we've got a couple of years removed

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1659590687526989828

This is why poo poo like "I thought you were the party of small government" or "aren't you supposed to be prolife" or "I thought you supported local control" is pointless, these mfs don't care about hypocrisy, don't care about shame, they aren't like you and me. They are built different

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 19, 2023

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1659590687526989828

This is why poo poo like "I thought you were the party of small government" or "aren't you supposed to be prolife" or "I thought you supported local control" is pointless, these mfs don't care about hypocrisy, don't care about shame, they aren't like you and me. They are built different
you'd think he'd take a different tone after someone tried to murder his whole family with a beer can

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1659597302649040897

The gently caress all the Ds vote PNV on the drag-ban-bill-that-isn't?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFBuaQkR0oU

"this is not a hollywood welfare program"

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Lot of people in here not giving the Sweet n Spicy Bacon Burger it’s due respect

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Wondering out loud who is going to make the mistake of saying In n Out is their favorite

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In and Out sucks so bad dude.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'd take Shake Shack over Whataburger most days, but that's not a very fair comparison.

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

zoux posted:

How do you rate the quorum break strategy now that we've got a couple of years removed

I stand by the premise. gently caress giving the legislature any presentation of legitimacy. The Texas Democrats are just too much of a hot mess to not embarrass themselves as it went along, and the national party has written off Texas so hard that they didn't really try to help.

May is spite month, but the whole session has just been further degradation of the legislative process. Watching Gutierrez give a powerful 14 minute speech about what he saw in the footage from Uvalde not released to the public and how hosed up the Senate is, then watching Patrick reply with "I know this has been hard for you"...just him, no one else in that chamber would even pretend to care about Uvalde.

I don't blame the PNV votes too hard here. With the drag references removed, the level of discourse needed to understand why it's still a bill intended to intimidate even family-friendly LGBTQ events into shutting down is above what the legislature is capable of. Your opponents will just say you want kindergarteners seeing genitals in bars. The reality with any vote is that people don't really care about your explanation, they'll draw their own conclusions from it. (Same with people not voting for Dems because they're not leftist enough. No one sees a Republican win and takes from that that Democrats should pivot left. They all assume they should pivot right.)

But you know the AG is just going to use it to justify investigating basically every Pride event, drag storytime, etc. It lets him stop events from even happening, and it looks like it pushes investigatory costs onto the defendant. Twitter right-wing extremists are currently attacking HEB for sponsoring a kids area at a Pride festival. HEB! Literally claiming they HEB is sponsoring people exposing themselves to children. There's absolutely no negative consequence to throwing around "groomer" and "child abuser" accusations against anyone who is not a cishet white Christian conservative. The state is empowering false accusations left and right with this one.

Mistaken Frisbee fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 19, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

I don't blame the PNV votes too hard here.

Thinking about it, they probably should've overwhelmingly voted for it which would've basically doomed it in conference because I can't imagine the senate isn't going to cram drag back in there. Either way it's probably dead.

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

IBut you know the AG is just going to use it to justify investigating basically every Pride event, drag storytime, etc. It lets him stop events from even happening, and it looks like it pushes investigatory costs onto the defendant. Twitter right-wing extremists are currently attacking HEB for sponsoring a kids area at a Pride festival. HEB! Literally claiming they HEB is sponsoring people exposing themselves to children. There's absolutely no negative consequence to throwing around "groomer" and "child abuser" accusations against anyone who is not a cishet white Christian conservative. The state is empowering false accusations left and right with this one.

I think there are negative consequences, they're just going to take time to realize. This too-online RW conspiracy poo poo just doesn't play in generals and the GOP has underperformed or outright lost every election at every level since 2018, with the sole exception of Youngkin (who was massively misrepresented as a moderate by that state press).

zoux fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 19, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lol Dan and Dade just did a joint appearance on the senate dais said "they're working well together on things" so learn to cover politics ya HPM biotch

https://twitter.com/DrewSpringer/status/1659613728474578966

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

you'd think he'd take a different tone after someone tried to murder his whole family with a beer can

Why, it's not like it was a milkshake.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

duz posted:

It's ok they got you covered 👌

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:eyepop:

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Texas exclusive too, came out yesterday!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Now with extra Listeria!

(It's not even that good.)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

White Light posted:

It's ok they got you covered 👌

oh gently caress

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
if Texas Dems want to resist they can start carrying smoke grenades into chambers like other countries do

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

that's the GOP's House, they'll call it the castle doctrine massacre

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I know I'm a bit late but my $0.02 on Whataburger:

When you work nightshift like I do it's really damned nice to have a place that will give you a proper burg at 5-7 AM when you get off shift.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

that's the GOP's House, they'll call it the castle doctrine massacre

theyll shoot more of their own in the panic

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alkydere posted:

I know I'm a bit late but my $0.02 on Whataburger:

When you work nightshift like I do it's really damned nice to have a place that will give you a proper burg at 5-7 AM when you get off shift.

Too bad you'll be in the drive thru from 5 to 7 am

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

zoux posted:

Too bad you'll be in the drive thru from 5 to 7 am

This is the real problem, it's virtually impossible to get into the one near me in South Austin unless you want a burg at like 3pm.

Though you can just drive ~5 minutes further and save yourself the hell wait. Wait times in Austin vary wildly every 3 or 4 blocks.