Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Carpet posted:

I wish my YouTube ads were that good, I just get those incredibly annoying, unskippable Chrome ones.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/ublock-origin/

I haven't been shown an ad on youtube in eight years.

Power Walrus posted:

It should probably be styled as D U U N C

D W N C

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

???

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Now we need those sequels, so we can have
D W N C
D U U U N C
D W W N C
D W W U N C
D W W W N C

INT. THE BARON'S CHAMBERS

BARON
(floating)
...my Arrakis, my D I I N C...

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
D UWU N C

Muad'denpai

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Has anyone said DUUNC yet?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

Has anyone said DUUNC yet?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

In my defense, I’m incredibly stupid.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Is the upcoming movie the last one (of the first book(?) ) or will it be a trilogy?

I have watched the 1984 movie but it is difficult to gauge how far along in that story the 2021 movie due to all the additional scenes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Next film is to the end of dune, the one after that would be dune messiah

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Thanks!

Good to hear, was worried we would have to wait another 3 years for the conclusion.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Ineptitude posted:

Thanks!

Good to hear, was worried we would have to wait another 3 years for the conclusion.

I am pretty sure the Jamis fight happens like 2/3rds of the way into the first Dune novel, so like... yeah you have no worry that they won't finish the first story in this second film.

The chief complaint besides "it isn't a full / complete" story of the first film was that it was so heavily abridged from the novel, with most of the politics and actual interesting world building being taken out. The second part of the novel doesn't have that problem!

I think most people who read the book are always shocked how quickly it moves to an abrupt ending!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, the Jamis fight is fairly far into the book in terms of page count. That's partly because the first half is heavy on exposition and has a bit more emphasis on internal monologues (though the last stretch also has plenty.) In terms of events that happen, the last third is a lot more dense though.

Regardless, I'm sure Denis will figure out how to wrap up the first book's arc just fine.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Xiahou Dun posted:

In my defense, I’m incredibly stupid.

Xiaohou Dunc

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

Xiaohou Dunc

:hmmyes:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

Regardless, I'm sure Denis will figure out how to wrap up the first book's arc just fine.

from his previous six films the dude's calling card seems to be "satisfying ending that leaves you wanting more." I'm not worried

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dune Messiah is kind of a coda/epilogue to the original that would probably work as a single movie. It'd probably work well as a follow up and make a round trilogy, but I dunno how interested they might be in adapting the rest of the Frank Herbert books. Children of Dune presents a lot of issues and God-Emperor is infamously unfilmable. Not even getting into the later ones that apparently have sex mind control DBZ battles and Jews for some reason.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Just give me Peter Dinklage as Bijaz, cowards.

Although someone online suggested Bill Hader which would be pretty funny/cool too

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

God-Emperor is infamously unfilmable.

Uhh I want to fact check you on that claim

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Uhh I want to fact check you on that claim

Well okay, there was the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy adaptation.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

Failed Imagineer posted:

Although someone online suggested Bill Hader which would be pretty funny/cool too

Dinklage doesn't do those types of roles anymore.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Failed Imagineer posted:

Bill Haden needs to be Leto II. Neeeeds.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I watched dunc again

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I keep coming back to the fantastic visual storytelling of how cleverly the Atreides fleet was hidden in the oceans of Caladan and how they were all parked on a single landing pad on Arrakis waiting to be destroyed. Zero lines of dialogue. What happened to the Atreides space fleet? You saw. The Emperor sent them there to die.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 00:47 on May 20, 2023

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Arglebargle III posted:

I keep coming back to the fantastic visual storytelling of how cleverly the Atreides fleet was hidden in the oceans of Caladan and how they were all parked on a single landing pad on Arrakis waiting to be destroyed. Zero lines of dialogue. What happened to the Atreides space fleet? You saw. The Emperor sent them there to die.

Shoulda kept them all in orbit, at least. Maybe they (mysteriously?) couldn't get credit to buy the fuel? Moon stuff?

Was there any sabotage in DUNC beyond Yueh's killing Mapes and tranqing Leto? The attack sequence is awesome but it seemed like the Atreides were laughably unprotected.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

In the novel, polar orbits (the ones that would be useful and pass over Arrakeen and the other cities at high northern latitudes) aren't allowed by the Guild because that would mean overflight of the south polar regions, where Fremen activity is becoming obvious. The Fremen bribe the Guild to discourage overflight of the south pole.

e: you also see Yueh disable the shield, but it's a purely visual thing - a room with huge machinery that stops moving iirc.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

They were relying on their shield and that the harkonnens would do the usual petty sabotage stuff, instead of spunking ten years of arrakis' entire spice production into a single attack.

The more unbelievable thing is that they had no hint of the attack, given how much organisation it would have taken and how good their spy network was supposed to be

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

JohnnySavs posted:

Was there any sabotage in DUNC beyond Yueh's killing Mapes and tranqing Leto? The attack sequence is awesome but it seemed like the Atreides were laughably unprotected.

It's certainly implied that Yueh did something to either cut the house shield or the power to the house. Like there's a little scene of him walking away from something, but it isn't telegraphed what he did exactly or what the consequences were for what he did.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

https://www.gq.com/story/dune-annotated nice little background article

DarkSol posted:

It's certainly implied that Yueh did something to either cut the house shield or the power to the house. Like there's a little scene of him walking away from something, but it isn't telegraphed what he did exactly or what the consequences were for what he did.

He kills the guards and lowers the big shield, it's fairly explicit

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Leto knew all this was coming but he thought it would take longer because the Harkonnens weren't ready for such a move - Duncan's mission that he's off on early is to wreck some poo poo on Geidi Prime to help make sure of that. But the Sardaukar let the Harkonnens move even faster than Leto could plan for. Yueh's job was to sabotage the palace shields as much as it was to capture Leto.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

JohnnySavs posted:

Shoulda kept them all in orbit, at least. Maybe they (mysteriously?) couldn't get credit to buy the fuel? Moon stuff?

The bull-fighting metaphor is even less subtle in the book. The Atreides were scared but they weren't scared enough.

Leto knew it was a trap but took the gamble anyway. This is also more explicit in the book.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 20, 2023

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Leto and his advisors all think that The Emperor is sending them to Arrakis to be worn down in a protracted inter-house war with the Baron, with the end result being the weakening of both powerful houses. The idea that the Emperor would put his finger on the scale so hard for the Baron (although he still makes the Baron foot the bill, LOL) was unthinkable. He also didn't know the Guild was in on it as well.

Edit: It also seems to be strongly implied that the Emperor is planning to off the Baron soon as well. No reason to keep such a strong house around with Leto dead now.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

sebmojo posted:

https://www.gq.com/story/dune-annotated nice little background article

He kills the guards and lowers the big shield, it's fairly explicit

I’m pretty sure he explicitly says what he did when he talks to the baron before getting got.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Arglebargle III posted:

The bull-fighting metaphor is even less subtle in the book. The Atreides were scared but they weren't scared enough.

Leto knew it was a trap but took the gamble anyway. This is also more explicit in the book.

Oh yeah. The first half of the book spends a lot of time in Leto's head, showing how he comes so close to abandoning everything and taking his family into hiding in exile, realizing that there's no good that will ever come of the trap that is Arrakis. But he keeps walking forward deeper and deeper into the trap because of his pride and his hatred. It's some real good stuff, Leto wrestling with his flaws and losing - and knowing he's losing - and no adaptation has really done it justice.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Leto and his advisors all think that The Emperor is sending them to Arrakis to be worn down in a protracted inter-house war with the Baron, with the end result being the weakening of both powerful houses. The idea that the Emperor would put his finger on the scale so hard for the Baron (although he still makes the Baron foot the bill, LOL) was unthinkable. He also didn't know the Guild was in on it as well.

Edit: It also seems to be strongly implied that the Emperor is planning to off the Baron soon as well. No reason to keep such a strong house around with Leto dead now.

Yeah, the point is that even in the written and unwritten rules of the inter-house warfare, as brutal as it can get, the Atreides betrayal is unprecedented and breaks a LOT of them. IIRC it's meant to be implied the Emperor is insecure in his position of power and wants to reinforce it by getting rid of the two biggest threats.

Arglebargle III posted:

They're almost literally fish out of water. Arrakis is where so much of their technology and tactics simply doesn't work, and the point is to strike before they have any time to adapt. Duke Leto recognises this, that's the point of the 'desert power' speech and making overtures to the Fremen because he recognises the importance of a home turf advantage, and that they need to learn- fast.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Imagine going into a low-intensity neighborhood gang fight and then the other guy is calling in stealth bombers and multiple SEAL teams.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

AlternateAccount posted:

Imagine going into a low-intensity neighborhood gang fight and then the other guy is calling in stealth bombers and multiple SEAL teams.

More like Jan 6 attack supported by army with tanks and blackhawks. Ain’t no one was prepared for that scenario.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/timchals/status/1666554243183181824?s=20

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

iv46vi posted:

More like Jan 6 attack supported by army with tanks and blackhawks. Ain’t no one was prepared for that scenario.

Fitting given that's literally just the description of a CIA backed coup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yeah, the point is that even in the written and unwritten rules of the inter-house warfare, as brutal as it can get, the Atreides betrayal is unprecedented and breaks a LOT of them. IIRC it's meant to be implied the Emperor is insecure in his position of power and wants to reinforce it by getting rid of the two biggest threats.

I don't believe it was implied but straight up said. There was a general opinion among the houses that Atreides house guard were every bit the equal of the Saduakar and this convinced the paranoid Emperor that they were planning a coup.