Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Nico's card that does that is the best reason to bring her anywhere. She's a great enabler for any heroism hungry heroes.

Speaking of, I found portal junkie Magik to be a good enabler for Iron Man since she can easily push enemies into Tony to trigger card draws and clear chaff. Iirc one of her cards also gets redraws on upgrade which further boosts his selfish rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

My favourite most recent bug is Storm showing up to wish Hunter well before storming the Sanctum even though they've never met as I haven't finished her intro mission yet.

"Who the gently caress are you?!"

I once got Venom starting a Superlink thread despite not having started his recruitment mission yet.

"WTF, how did you get this number?"

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

AceOfFlames posted:

I once got Venom starting a Superlink thread despite not having started his recruitment mission yet.

"WTF, how did you get this number?"

Obviously Peter gave it to him, trying to save his frenemy from his bloodlust through the power of Nico's banter and Magik's white clowning. It's not a bad plan.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Codependent Poster posted:

What the gently caress

Hanging out is great. It's not terribly written or tedious at all. All the characters rule.

the dialogue is fine for what it is. it's not Disco Elysium "actually a work of literature via game medium" tier, but Matt Mercer being a bit of a dick is amusing enough that i don't skip most of it

the actual mechanics are kinda crap. there is nothing fun about grinding missions in hopes that the hero you're trying to rank up with randomly shows up after for a hangout, or that RNG deigns to give you something they like in the gift dispenser. liked gifts, enjoyed activities, and positive dialogue choices don't feel intuitive, and iirc there's not even so much as a UI hint to say "hey, Blade loving hated this activity last time, maybe try something else"

the only fun i got out of the actual gameplay system aspect was recognizing that Carol reliably hated dark responses, so i established a headcanon where my hunter just loved making GBS threads on her ideals and torpedoing their relationship. i didn't care much to level her up anyway (sorry Carol, you're bottom tier after early game, and your legendary skill is pretty mediocre)

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

If I could excise any character from this game it’d be Captain Marvel. I don’t like her dialog and I hate her gameplay.

I find I’m not too keen on most legendary abilities. I did get a Hellstorm, Goddess’s Blessing, and Storm’s stun card (can’t remember the name, but it gives you +offense) last night though…that plus Utility Belt on Storm led to a very dead Nest Mother’s guardian on turn 1.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The Legendaries run the gamut. Off the top of my head, Annihilation, Bladestorm, Assimilation, and Darkchylde are the best. Most of the rest are big, expensive damage abilities of varying usefulness. Some are good, others mediocre. No More and Summon Charlie are the only two that I think are legit bad.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
It has been a bit since I played. Did they clean up the inventory UI at all? Part of the gift system I hated was that it just kind of lists everything and I don't think you can really discard or sell any of the junk you end up with. In NG+ I only bought legendary gifts specifically to manage that bloat.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I googled this game today - I can't remember why, I think I wanted to see some more of how it was received by critics and ended up reading the one-star user reviews. These people presumably also open bottles of bleach while thirsty and exclaim "well, if it will kill me, why is it liquid?!"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

bobtheconqueror posted:

It has been a bit since I played. Did they clean up the inventory UI at all? Part of the gift system I hated was that it just kind of lists everything and I don't think you can really discard or sell any of the junk you end up with. In NG+ I only bought legendary gifts specifically to manage that bloat.

i dont think there have been any QoL improvements, unfortunately

also yeah, most of the legendaries are kinda eh, with Crack The Sky and Midnight Special being decent "expend all heroism to gently caress poo poo up" finishers after a build up, but Darkchylde is a guaranteed "you lose! you get NOTHING!" rescue that solves basically any misstep for a turn

bladestorm is arguably the worse of the hunter skills, but AoE knockback is too hilarious to not use.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Are you kidding? Bladestorm is excellent and if you can get a Marked in, it's almost guaranteed to refund itself and draw a shitload of cards between the on-kill and knockback into a hero. Even without, it's maybe the highest damaging card in the game.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I know I'm late to the game but holy poo poo is Magik busted.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The Midniter posted:

If I could excise any character from this game it’d be Captain Marvel. I don’t like her dialog and I hate her gameplay.

I find I’m not too keen on most legendary abilities. I did get a Hellstorm, Goddess’s Blessing, and Storm’s stun card (can’t remember the name, but it gives you +offense) last night though…that plus Utility Belt on Storm led to a very dead Nest Mother’s guardian on turn 1.

I love her character. Don’t use her much beyond the early game, though with her legendary she’s marginally OK. The problem is you have to play her cards and you probably don’t want to focus that much in the later game. But the great thing about the team is you’re bound to love some characters and dislike others. The game is mostly designed so you can spend more time with the ones you like, and Marvel drops out of the main storyline early.

I believe they did redesign the card inventory system, but it’s not really an improvement.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Narsham posted:

I love her character. Don’t use her much beyond the early game, though with her legendary she’s marginally OK. The problem is you have to play her cards and you probably don’t want to focus that much in the later game. But the great thing about the team is you’re bound to love some characters and dislike others. The game is mostly designed so you can spend more time with the ones you like, and Marvel drops out of the main storyline early.

I believe they did redesign the card inventory system, but it’s not really an improvement.

She really thrives in a team with Doctor Spooky, who can make her re-draw her Quick cards for faster Binary as well as boost the base damage of her cards (which is then doubled by Binary). Not the best/most exploitative Strange matchup (I believe that honor fittingly belongs to Scarlet Witch), but deffo a good one.

In other news, man, Dracula does NOT gently caress around. I... have no idea how to tackle him even with crazy Dark Hunter damage spikes, there's just not enough Cure in the world and his attacks plow right through Resist (though I guess it doesn't help that neither Parker nor Brock have good decks, in general or on my save)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Strange is great with anyone. Ironman is ridiculous at the best of times but he and Strange just ruin everything in the game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

Are you kidding? Bladestorm is excellent and if you can get a Marked in, it's almost guaranteed to refund itself and draw a shitload of cards between the on-kill and knockback into a hero. Even without, it's maybe the highest damaging card in the game.

Bladestorm is excellent; it's just not as good as Annihilation. 4 Heroism for 100% Offence + Forceful Knockback just can't beat 75% Offence per Heroism. Even at equal Heroism cost Annihilation is killing Bladestorm on damage with 300% Offense, and at max, it's 750% Offense. Far and away the highest damage AoE card in the game, and that's before considering you can make it free with Inspire.

Kobal2 posted:

She really thrives in a team with Doctor Spooky.

"Good with Dr. Strange" is a label that applies to every hero in the game. I like Storm okay, but they appear to have made an effort to curb the burst potential of all the DLC heroes. Deadpool and Venom have ramp mechanics, Storm the Next Turn gimmick, and Morbin' Time is another Bleed hero. None of them are bad, but the deliberate lack of frontload means they don't really pop off the way some of the classic cast do.

Except for Venom, but that's entirely off the back of his ludicrous Legendary.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Skippy McPants posted:

Morbin' Time is another Bleed hero.

Considering they hate each other, it's kinda funny that Morbs and Blade are basically the best team-up they have (above Strange, even !). They enable each other to go ham to a silly degree.

I like what they did with Storm - her Next Turn gimmick is a little annoying before you have access to massive card draw, but I like that it's coupled with an incentive to keep the cards in hand some of the time. I wish they'd leaned harder on that.
That said, there is no excuse for the existence of Overload. It's like they had a dev challenge to design something worse than Dark Blessing or Immolate somehow.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Kobal2 posted:

That said, there is no excuse for the existence of Overload. It's like they had a dev challenge to design something worse than Dark Blessing or Immolate somehow.

They seriously could have just made the card say "Gain 1 Strengthen on Redraw," cause that's all anyone ever gonna use it for.

Same as that Scarlet Witch card Detonate. Both it and Overload should work on any environmental object, rather than a specific one.

Edit: the deeper I get into the main story again, the happier I am to be reminded that this game writes Tony and Strange as an old married couple.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 18, 2023

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Kobal2 posted:

Overload is terrible but I actually rather like Immolate. Since Ghost Rider hits like a truck and does a lot of knockback, it’s not too hard to kill something and have it blow up next to some other baddies and knock some health off the top, especially on harder difficulties where non-minions are a lot more spongy.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

The Midniter posted:

Overload is terrible but I actually rather like Immolate. Since Ghost Rider hits like a truck and does a lot of knockback, it’s not too hard to kill something and have it blow up next to some other baddies and knock some health off the top, especially on harder difficulties where non-minions are a lot more spongy.

Yeah, but back when I used it (in my first playthrough, for lack of better GR cards) I always forgot I played it the turn before and ended up blowing myself up 99% of the time. Which, granted, isn't *technically* the card's fault, but it's absolutely the card's entire fault. It also nonbos with the "push guys into your friends for damage and cards" mechanic later in the game.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Petting Charlie 15 days in a row is a rare achievement. What the gently caress is wrong with people?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Lammasu posted:

Petting Charlie 15 days in a row is a rare achievement. What the gently caress is wrong with people?
If only the "Charlie wharlie puppyface" line had been in the game on release.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I just forget to spend time finding the dog to press a button so I've never done that cheevo and never will.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

JBP posted:

I just forget to spend time finding the dog

You monster.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I did get it, but nowadays I only pat Charlie if I happen to come across her, I don't go out of my way to find her. I also just tread a path between the forge, the training yard, and the mission board.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
Really stupid question. If you take Deadpool on a mission with Morbius does he say, "It's morbin time"?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Lammasu posted:

Really stupid question. If you take Deadpool on a mission with Morbius does he say, "It's morbin time"?

If he does I haven’t had the RNG to hear it. If anything I actually appreciated that the Morbius DLC seems to be entirely meme-free.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Chairchucker posted:

I did get it, but nowadays I only pat Charlie if I happen to come across her, I don't go out of my way to find her. I also just tread a path between the forge, the training yard, and the mission board.

Yeah I hunt down the dog and search for the cat to engage in petting until I max out my arcane knowledge and levels, which can happen pretty quick. It's less of a priority then, but I still pet the dog when I encounter her. Same with the cat when the opportunity arises.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I'm on a second play through, and cannot remember the trigger for getting more spells to open up the Abbey grounds - is it based on plot events or do I need to trigger it?

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
it's some plot trigger, eventually you'll get the "need to talk to strange after he finishes x" or smth to that device and when the trigger clears you'll get it in the abbey

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Disco Pope posted:

I'm on a second play through, and cannot remember the trigger for getting more spells to open up the Abbey grounds - is it based on plot events or do I need to trigger it?

You need to find the Moon Seals and do combat challenges, they are gated to story progress.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Disco Pope posted:

You can do the first two whenever, but the third will only unlock after dealing with Venom once and for all

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
You can do everything right up until there's a cave you can't get into cause of a magic barrier. That's blocked by a specific story point, after which you can do all of the remaining Abbey exploration without issue.

Edit: Spoiler commentary on this, it's kind of annoying that's a red herring though. The game stops your exploration dead in its tracks cause you need to get into the cave, but then the cave doesn't have the seal you were looking for and the clues you need to find it are in the church. The cave itself is just a bit of exposition about how your mom turned evil.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 20, 2023

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Game: Hey, this hero has a request for you to join a hangout that they love with them!
Me: Okay, cool, be happy to.
Also Game: There's nobody who's free to hangout tonight/there are people who want to hangout with you, but none of them are the one needed to fulfill the request.

I'm pretty sure I'm approaching double digits on how many times this request has expired because I haven't been able to hangout with the person who made the request. I'm fairly certain the AI is doing this to spite me at this point. :argh:

On an unrelated note, (DLC story stuff): I'm endlessly amused by Eddie's investigation into Dracula and the new breed vampyres and all the insane conspiracy poo poo he keeps coming up with, to the point where I'm continuing to encourage it just to see what else he comes up with. :allears:

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Lammasu posted:

Not that I've heard, but the last mission has everybody lined up by the portal, and if you talk to him, Hunter makes a comment along the lines of, "What's your catchphrase? It's time to Morb?"

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

This game was fun. Flawed, but fun and landed in a very specific niche. Now that all the DLC is out I went to get it but daaaamn is that a steep price tag.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Old Doggy Bastard posted:

This game was fun. Flawed, but fun and landed in a very specific niche. Now that all the DLC is out I went to get it but daaaamn is that a steep price tag.

I was actually going to buy it this week and it looks like the legendary edition includes the season pass. which seems to be the best deal

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Huh. I just now noticed that Hunter cards have different variants for male and female. That's a nice little detail.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
I have like 250 hours in the Series X version and saw they just released one for the Xbone - annoyingly you don’t get access to the Xbone version automatically, you have to buy it separately.

I have an Xbox One in our bedroom for general downtime play, if I bought that version for Midnight Suns, does anyone know if my X saves could be loaded on there or would I have to start over?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
What's the general feeling on the DLC? I got the season pass, and I guess and some point I really should reinstall and give it a go. I just read this article in PCGamer though where the guy really hated them all tho:

https://www.pcgamer.com/marvels-midnight-suns-deserved-better-than-its-terrible-dlcs/

I frequently disagree with reviewers, so I'm wondering what people here think.

I was looking forwards to playing with storm too, do you have to play far through to get to her?

Gerblyn fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Gerblyn posted:

What's the general feeling on the DLC? I got the season pass, and I guess and some point I really should reinstall and give it a go. I just read this article in PCGamer though where the guy really hated them all tho:

https://www.pcgamer.com/marvels-midnight-suns-deserved-better-than-its-terrible-dlcs/

I frequently disagree with reviewers, so I'm wondering what people here think.

I played the first two and liked them both. Deadpool was just a bit too silly but is also Deadpool so that's to be expected. Venom seemed like a pretty decent character. Their card sets were fine, and added a bit of variety to the game. In particular, I liked the similarities between Venom and Spider-Man's decks. Not exactly the same, but some definite similarities in terms of how they're very burst-ey characters. Each DLC character also adds some neat Abbey upgrades. Deadpool's food truck lets you discard a card to refund a movement once per combat, which is really good, and Venom's computer thing lets you adjust the mission rewards a bit, which is cool.

Stopped playing a bit after Venom came out, so haven't had the change to mess around with Morbius or Storm, but honestly I haven't heard anything bad about either.