Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Megamissen posted:

they dont show her face during the scene, just the lower half after battamonda battamon-mons away and sora starts loosening up
it could just be a stylistic choice but its something to keep an eye at

I assume there’s more to it considering that not only did they not show Sora’s whole face but Battamonda also freaked the gently caress out all of a sudden when he saw her. So yeah, definitely something to keep in mind

It’s so nice to actually be excited about a Precure series again, there’s a lot of potential balls in the air currently and I’ll be curious to see just where exactly they ultimately fall

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:58 on May 14, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HS16: This week we get our first look at the Undergu Empire homeland and the Mirror Pad gains a new function (the ability to collect Kirakiraru Kira Kira Energy from defeated Ranborgs in order to cure the king and queen).

The storybook artstyle during the play segment was fun (as was Tsubasa’s Gatchaman outfit), Battamonda continues to be more competent than his predecessor (he also seems more interested in defeating the Precure than he does in capturing Elle) and Elle seems to be talking a bit more now.

As today is his canonical birthday Tsubasa plays us out this week (he even got his own end card in the raw version)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 21, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I cannot tell which is better: Ageha completely changing the story without the Precures' knowledge, or the Precure getting so into playing their characters that they accidentally start thinking about their actual hero jobs. They take this puppet show so seriously it is wonderful.

Also Tsubasa just has bird friends. I love it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Elle is also the best baby the series has had

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s just a puzzle game but it seems this summer we’ll be getting our first console based Precure title in 5 years:

https://twitter.com/precurenews01/status/1661000317922865152

Speaking of Precure games, there’s a fan made fighting game in development that actually looks pretty good:

https://twitter.com/suttoko_game?t=2QXxtx04grxOCLoz9tRhhA&s=09

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also, Cure Butterfly finally lands next week:

https://twitter.com/precurenews01/status/1661290681808355329

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A nice little breather episode this week with some good Sora and Mashiro interaction (I especially liked the baton pass they did with the Prism Ball).

Mana takes us out this week and next time the core team will at long last be complete as our Pink has finally arrived

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I am very fond of Butterfly being the Strongest Nursery School Teacher.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I also like that based on the preview she’s apparently going to do her first transformation directly in front of a little kid (this show just does not give a poo poo about the whole secret identity aspect and I love it), Sora and Mashiro didn’t really make much effort to find cover this episode either for that matter

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Extremely happy that Sora's first choice to be on a team with is Mashiro.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, we have a cast list for the upcoming all male Precure stage show:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2023-05-30/all-male-precure-stage-play-reveals-cast-visual/.198590

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HS18: Wonderhoy!

Cure Butterfly has arrived (and much like Sora doesn’t really care much about her secret identity considering she makes her first transformation in front of one of her students). Great transformation too that perfectly captures Ageha’s personality (she makes a pretty impressive display before then too, bringing down a monster out of uniform)

Butterfly is a shield user that can also launch bombs and her finisher is Butterfly Press (a stomping Rider Kick basically). Also Ageha decides to move in with Mashiro meaning the entire team will now be living under the same roof

Next Time: The Birds & the Butterflies Part 2 (also a new duo finisher between the second half of the team)

Edit: Also part of Butterfly’s finisher apparently involves dropping an energy version of her car on the enemy:

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 4, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah Cure Butterfly was worth the wait

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Absolutely everything about Cure Butterfly rules.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ageha was right, she really is the best (also that was possibly my favorite Cure debut episode since Scarlet)

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The animation certainly felt like it shifted to something more...cartoony is obviously the wrong word, but it felt like there was a lot more stylized stuff this episode than the last few.

Also they really want to give Ageha that catchphrase, huh? Either that or I really wasn't paying attention.

Still, good episode! Battamon remains a very good villain.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Two new titles are out and it looks like some major stuff is about to go down:

22: Battamonda’s Final Scheme!

23: A Shattered Dream, and A Resurrected Power

Battamonda’s going down already? That was kind of quick (also looks like that major event regarding Sora they hinted at a while back is going down in episode 23).

“A resurrected power” could also potentially be referring to the advent of the big bad, the return of Shalala now under the enemy’s control, or both

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I know this thread is mostly about precure but I saw this and it thought it was fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hdmzPHtT94

I don't understand enough spoken Japanese to know what all they're talking about in the first chunk of the video, but it ends with the five main voice actresses for Sailor Moon singing Moonlight Densetsu.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, the last two movies that make up Crystal will be released this month (part 1 on Friday and Part 2 on the 30th). Aside from maybe doing an adaption of Codename Sailor V I sort of want them to just let the franchise die in piece (the creator clearly doesn’t seem to want to do anything new with it and she has a much tighter grip on the brand these days than she did back in the 90s)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
A Sailor V series probably wouldn't happen because it is so episodic and jokey. When I read it after the Sailor Moon manga, I was surprised by how much closer in structure most chapters felt to the usual non-plot moving episodes of the 90s show.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Shiroc posted:

A Sailor V series probably wouldn't happen because it is so episodic and jokey. When I read it after the Sailor Moon manga, I was surprised by how much closer in structure most chapters felt to the usual non-plot moving episodes of the 90s show.

The 90’s show is still my favorite incarnation of the series (aside from SuperS where the manga version is superior in most aspects) so I’d be fine with that honestly

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I think the different versions have different strengths. But it was less of a value judgement since I’d be all over that if they did make it, it just feels really unlikely that they would decide to pick up the lesser known more purely comedic manga when Crystal as a series fell off and they switched to movies to try to make it more impactful.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair, though aside from adapting some of the side chapters or doing a sequel (which doesn’t seem likely) there doesn’t really seem to be much else left to actually do with Sailor Moon once the Cosmos movies drop

That said, I remember the final arc in the manga being batshit insane and hope the Crystal version manages to do it justice

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
It was fun reading the manga and seeing how the vague outline of the major plot beats were shared with the 90s anime for the first three arcs but Dreams and Stars totally went places that the anime couldn't follow.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t the anime stop before the manga was actually finished and basically had to make up its own conclusion (though Stars didn’t annoy me quite as much as SuperS did, the Dream arc was one of the few ones in the manga that actually developed the other Senshi besides Usagi in a significant way but the anime basically just turned it into The Chibiusa Show and excised a lot of the more interesting bits of the story)?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Looking at the dates, the finales of both came out around the same time, so the anime was probably being produced based on any outlines from Takeuchi and likely why they padded the start of Stars with the extra Nehellenia arc.

The biggest thing that the anime probably ran into is that the differences in characterizations and the manga caring more about the mythology would have been harder to reconcile. I think the anime's perspective mostly is that the 'civilian' identities of the characters are who they really are but the manga is more clear that its them as the Reincarnated Senshi. So Dreams and Stars in the manga were focused on having all of the characters confronting that whatever future they thought they might have had doesn't exist and accepting that, for all of the joy and pain that comes with it. The anime would have needed to change its tone and structure a lot to do the same story.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HS19: This week Sora and Mashiro kind of take a backseat as Ageha slots into her role as team mom and bonds more with Tsubasa (we also learn that Butterfly can create multiple barriers at once)

Her new item basically provides stat boosts for the other Cures and gives us a new duo finisher with Wing called Precure Titanic Rainbow where Ageha drops a giant punibird Tsubasa on top of the enemy.

Them trying to do Sora and Mashiro’s attack at first was kind of funny though (as was Tsubasa complaining about the new attack not being cool enough afterwards)

The OP has been updated to reflect Ageha’s new role as part of the team and we finish things off with a (Cure) Happy ending

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 11, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The new Finisher goes through at least 3 forms of bird..it's amazing

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s only her second outing and Butterfly is already stronger than most shield users in the franchise (she can make multiple shields, create them anywhere, and even stack them. And that’s ontop of her butterfly bombs, personal finisher, and latest new toy)

Speaking of, if the Palette can boost the Precure’s power I wonder if that means Ageha can do other unique attacks alongside Sky or Prism as well

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'm expecting it to do neat things cause the show seems very willing to play with Precure conventions in the name of a gag or a plot point. Like how they first went with an Updraft Shining and it just produced the item!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/sailor_movie/status/1668030348960350208

Trailer for the cosmos movie - Summer blockbuster style

Gonna be wild seeing this arc of the manga get animated cause it's very equal parts super interesting and also a mess at the same time

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Note that it likely will be a while after that for the movies to actually show up on streaming. Maybe they’ll finally put the franchise to bed after this since there isn’t really much left to do with it short of adapting Codename/the side chapters or doing a full on sequel (which I don’t think Naoko has any interest in)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 14, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Given that this whole business has felt like a begrudged and often half-assed obligation from Toei's side of things, yes, I'd rather they call time too.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, by all rights this whole project should have been over and done with years ago. Instead it’s taken nearly 10 years just to get to this point, which in my opinion is telling in regards to how little Toei gives a poo poo anymore (plus they have Precure as their magical girl cash cow now, which unlike SM they fully own the rights to)

Personally I say once the second movie is out they should just let Sailor Moon die in piece

Larryb fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 12, 2023

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I get why Takeuchi wanted an anime closer to her manga and the third season and films ended up being quite good. But yeah this feels like it should be the end

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The third season is the best and, given the original version was the best of OG Sailor Moon, that's not exactly the slam dunk it should be.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah that's kinda of why I'm curious as to how Cosmos turns out cause the manga version of Stars is just such a mess in many ways

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, manga Stars has weird poo poo like seeing the gang get killed off (sort of), one by one, the random revelation of Luna and Artemis being humanoid aliens from a planet nobody’s ever mentioned before, Rei’s crows suddenly turning into a pair of twin human girls, and how every major adversary Usagi ever faced was part of a single entity called Chaos. I’ll be curious to see how the Cosmos movies handle all that

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 12, 2023

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
For it to be accurate to the comic, it'd need to be a Vapourware Murder Nightmare which Chiaki Kon could have pulled off and then some.

It's not going to be that even with the Gatachaman Crowd's lot at their best.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
The cats having humanoid forms and the crows being fairies were in the Dreams arc. Stars added them all being from other planets.