Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

gently caress

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

now show the next fram where they're back to stick figures.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Drakkel posted:

I dunno Onigushima seems fairly sized for a palace that's meant to house hundreds of pirates, many of which are also like 5 times bigger than a normal human

Make it thousands and you need to count the Numbers who are way bigger than that too

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That episode was incredible. Can't wait to see what the anime has in store for cartoon Luffy :allears:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

ZiegeDame posted:

This would make the total surface area of Onigashima 25% larger than Japan. Onigashima is one giant building, not the canyon dimension from DBZ.

Who cares

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sindai posted:

That episode was incredible. Can't wait to see what the anime has in store for cartoon Luffy :allears:

I hope they go full Tex Avery with Gear 5

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Rohan Kishibe posted:

It's been a while since Dressrosa first introduced the 20 celestial dragon families, is the Riku/Doflamingo relationship treated as a secret among the royals? I assumed all the ruling class, at least of the founding kingdoms, knew about this.

I think most people in the room don't bother to count the swords, and those that do realize the missing sword is probably the Nefertari one but don't attribute any particular significance to it; if the Nefertari went back to Arabasta because they weren't interested in running things from Marie Geoise, then it doesn't matter if they never took an oath never to run things from Marie Geoise all by themselves. It only becomes suspicious if you know enough about Arabastan history to know that Lili never actually returned there.

Edit: Probably there are also a few people who connect the "missing" sword to the "phantom room" rumors but either see it in superstitious terms (a ghost moved the sword to the ghost room!) or figure that whatever's going on, it's probably dangerous to inquire too closely into.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 21, 2023

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Silver2195 posted:

I think most people in the room don't bother to count the swords, and those that do realize the missing sword is probably the Nefertari one but don't attribute any particular significance to it; if the Nefertari went back to Arabasta because they weren't interested in running things from Marie Geoise, then it doesn't matter if they never took an oath never to run things from Marie Geoise all by themselves. It only becomes suspicious if you know enough about Arabastan history to know that Lili never actually returned there.

Edit: Probably there are also a few people who connect the "missing" sword to the "phantom room" rumors but either see it in superstitious terms (a ghost moved the sword to the ghost room!) or figure that whatever's going on, it's probably dangerous to inquire too closely into.

Yeah I would even go one step further, my impression is that the whole "20 nations, 20 seats at Levely, 20 original celestial dragons, 20 weapons" thing is the simpler-on-its-face well known version and the missing sword is basically an asterisk/footnote. Like most of the kings probably do know the more nuanced story if they bothered to read their history or simply count the weapons and ask but its easier to just tell the simpler version. Like the five elders didn't seem shocked or put out that Cobra knew about the missing sword, but more that he had dug further into Lili and discovered she never returned.

Because yeah, it would be absurdly "hidden in plain sight" if a major mystery of the void century was right under the rulers' noses and the elders could simply cover it up by sticking another sword in there.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

has anyone gone back and counted the swords yet?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The ability to count is actually fairly rare in the One Piece world.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Good chapter, weird to see Yamato in the two-page spread among the ladies though.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Funky Valentine posted:

The ability to count is actually fairly rare in the One Piece world.

We complained about the Dressrosa countdown but it's about to become vitally important.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Dofy only alive and a warlord bc he counted the swords as a kid

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Lily had the original big hat, and refused to stab her sword before the throne as a sign of submission to the winner of the Void Century War, Ancient King Im.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

the big hat is actually a full body covering

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bionic Commando twist: Lily is the Big Hat

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Given how small Im looked on the throne maybe it's just a regular sized hat

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
So the implication is that either Imu is Lily who has become immortal, a descendant of Lily who is not bound from the 19 sword oath and is secretly ruling the world as a dictator, and/or someone who has erased Lily from history. Is there something I missed about who Imu could be?

Also, Imu seems to a snail that can listen to any part of a government facility and any unencrypted snail communication.

:lol:

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
I mean... how many people ever even get to -see- this throne room? It sounds like most of the various monarchs only see it once; the first time they attend a Reverie and place one of their own weapons there, like we saw with Sterry.

And even if someone noticed, it's not a secret among the monarchs at least that while the Nefertari family are one of the original 20 that they didn't remain to become a Celestial Dragon, so that would explain 19 swords instead of 20.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Imu being someone else entirely. But I'm thinking someone either immortal or extremely long lived; I read it as them saying this Lili's name in recognition. Like there was some sort of disagreement that caused the split.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I'm also gonna guess that even regular Kings aren't allowed close enough to actually notice there's a sword missing next to the throne.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, I think it's pretty safe to say that Imu was alive during the Void Century, yeah

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Most people smart enough to know a sword is missing are smart enough to shut the gently caress up and not rock the boat.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

whenever there are less than 19 swords shown that many missing swords are simply hidden behind another sword

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There is simply a part of the throne's decoration that looks enough like a single sword to fool most people

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

MorningMoon posted:

Most people smart enough to know a sword is missing are smart enough to shut the gently caress up and not rock the boat.

He has a debilitating illness. He probably has nothing left to lose, not even to "What is the D?" punchline.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Speaking of swords, does Zoro get any new swords, or does he keep the three he currently has? Does one or more of them become a black blade and rank up?

I'm willing to bet he keeps them, and Wado becomes a supreme grade first, and then eventually the other two become black blades after defeating Mihawk.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

oddium posted:

whenever there are less than 19 swords shown that many missing swords are simply hidden behind another sword

There’s a sword behind throne, you just can’t see it. No you can’t go up there

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

luchadornado posted:

Speaking of swords, does Zoro get any new swords, or does he keep the three he currently has? Does one or more of them become a black blade and rank up?

I'm willing to bet he keeps them, and Wado becomes a supreme grade first, and then eventually the other two become black blades after defeating Mihawk.

He'll get maybe 1 new sword to replace the Kitetsu, I assume Enma and Wado Ichimonji aren't being swapped out.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
whenever you dont see the correct amount of swords its actually a twin hidden inside of the other thrones body

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Imu is a sword

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ryaomon posted:

whenever you dont see the correct amount of swords its actually a twin hidden inside of the other thrones body

Blackbeard origin story out of nowhere! :aaa:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

hatty posted:

Imu is a sword

we're hosed then

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I got the impression that the 19 swords thing wasn't a secret, more like a historical curiosity. Is it really a big scandal for the Nefeltaris to be revealed to the world to be a clan of dipshits who chose a lesser life (from the Celestial Dragons' perspective)?

The Elders seem much more concerned about Cobra questioning the official story of Lily's whereabouts after the founding of the Word Government.

Maybe Lily was an ally of Joyboy who was targeted by Im once she left? After all, the Nefeltaris took custody of one of the most important Ponegliffs, the one that says where Pluton is. Could the letter from Lily talk about how the Ponegliff reveals the location of Pluton? Is that how Cobra knew what the stone recorded? Could this be somehow related to how Crocodile heard that Pluton was in Alabasta?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

hatty posted:

Imu is a sword

I knew Funkfreed couldn't be trusted

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

The "D" is for Dork

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Maybe Lili is the he person who had Law's fruit and was forced to make I'm immortal. The 20th sword in the side room is the promise to leave Alabasta/the Nefertiti family alone.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, I think it's pretty safe to say that Imu was alive during the Void Century, yeah

A lot of people have been guessing that Imu was the previous recipient of the ope-ope fruit's immortality surgery, which would male a lot of sense.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gyges posted:

Maybe Lili is the he person who had Law's fruit and was forced to make I'm immortal. The 20th sword in the side room is the promise to leave Alabasta/the Nefertiti family alone.

That….would explain a lot to be honest. If so, I’m curious if Imu is human and/or has some sort of devil fruit power of their own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

hatty posted: