Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Honestly I can't believe the absolute fucker's only 74. Like he was barely midlife crisis age when he published AGoT, yet has always been a fat old gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
George lost a ton of weight recently.

He’s not a double for Illyrio anymore.

https://twitter.com/GRRMspeaking/status/1625873177946607616

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I mean to be fair, it's not like he's writing. He's got plenty of time to exercise and plan out a healthy diet.

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

Let's not get ahead of ourselves, he could be ill.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Drivin' that train
High on cocaine
G R R Martin makes nothin' to read

The Reaper ahead
Shitdick behind
And the Bad Thread has long, lost their minds

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Even thin George looks like a fat gently caress

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Shame there's no Brian Herbert-like nepo baby waiting in the wings to Frankenstein together some awful garbage when the Fucker croaks.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
What an Absolute Fucker move to lose weight & live a more healthy lifestyle just so that he can spite everyone by keeping on not writing

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

bone emulator posted:

Shame there's no Brian Herbert-like nepo baby waiting in the wings to Frankenstein together some awful garbage when the Fucker croaks.
Brian Herbert's continuing destruction of the Dune series is justifiable revenge for Frank being a bad dad. Gurm having no children is able to avoid that.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

branson sanderson or the swedish nazis will finish the series

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

1. Good for him. No shade.

2. No way it's not some kind of surgical. Dude didn't suddenly start a chicken breast and broccoli diet and running in the Santa Fe sun each morning.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
I will say, if he slims up and gets healthy and spends the next fifteen years cheerfully driving his train in circles blowing the steam whistle and flipping off the world, that will be a plot twist I didn't see coming, and I'll be all in favor of it.

Being realistic, though, I will simply quote a much better author than GRRM:

quote:

You are rather old and likely to grow older; too fat, and likely to grow even fatter—nay, obese.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

mind the walrus posted:

1. Good for him. No shade.

2. No way it's not some kind of surgical. Dude didn't suddenly start a chicken breast and broccoli diet and running in the Santa Fe sun each morning.

There is that new medication that diabetes patients are on that is causing extreme weight loss. I think it’s even being prescribed for weight loss alone.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Kylaer posted:

I will say, if he slims up and gets healthy and spends the next fifteen years cheerfully driving his train in circles blowing the steam whistle and flipping off the world, that will be a plot twist I didn't see coming, and I'll be all in favor of it.

Being realistic, though, I will simply quote a much better author than GRRM:

I'll say this. The sole reason I'm mad at that fat gently caress about taking so long is that he's up to double digits in times he's promised it's almost done. If he'd just hosed off and dropped the book when it was ready, I wouldn't care.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

I'll say this. The sole reason I'm mad at that fat gently caress about taking so long is that he's up to double digits in times he's promised it's almost done. If he'd just hosed off and dropped the book when it was ready, I wouldn't care.

Or if he'd just manned up and said "I'm sorry, I don't want to finish this story. It's my choice not to, please accept that." I'd have so much more respect for him. His pretending he's still working on the whole thing is the irritating part. If he was just honest with everyone and said he was doing the things that he wanted to do and that he liked doing and writing books wasn't a thing he liked doing anymore, it'd be perfectly fine because GRRM seems like an otherwise chill dude for the most part, his creepy sex writing poo poo notwithstanding.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Or if he'd just manned up and said "I'm sorry, I don't want to finish this story. It's my choice not to, please accept that." I'd have so much more respect for him. His pretending he's still working on the whole thing is the irritating part. If he was just honest with everyone and said he was doing the things that he wanted to do and that he liked doing and writing books wasn't a thing he liked doing anymore, it'd be perfectly fine because GRRM seems like an otherwise chill dude for the most part, his creepy sex writing poo poo notwithstanding.

Thing is, he probably enjoys writing still. Just not that story.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I think he legit wants to finish ASoIaF but either he's being too perfectionist about it or he just can't bring himself to write at all. If he just didn't care, he's had a decade to get it ghostwritten and cash out like he did with the worldbuilding books.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

kenny powerzzz posted:

There is that new medication that diabetes patients are on that is causing extreme weight loss. I think it’s even being prescribed for weight loss alone.

GRR can definitely afford Ozempic for weight loss. The good news is that it works by enhancing impulse control so there's a chance he'll stop being distracted from writing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
George can’t finish the story, but he can’t admit to himself or anyone else that he can’t finish the story.

Everyone would be happier if he hired someone else to do it and retired to the Canary Islands or whatever he wants to do in his dotage.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He probably can’t say he doesn’t want to finish cause he’d get sued. But he could just have someone ghostwrite it. Least then you can control what’s being written.

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013
If GM gave up the books to just follow his heart and keeps stringing fans along because gently caress the nerds ... that's pretty loving baller.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Invalid Validation posted:

He probably can’t say he doesn’t want to finish cause he’d get sued. But he could just have someone ghostwrite it. Least then you can control what’s being written.

Do people talk about how Ty Franck may have already been ghostwriting for GURM on Feast/Dance? He's clearly ok with a collaborative effort of writing, and the timeline of The Expanse starting and the last ASOIAF book happening seems to synch up.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

nine-gear crow posted:

We're 12 years removed from the last book being published, coming up on 5 years since the show ended, and it was probably be another 2 years until House of the Dragon or any other spin offs make it to TV again, depending on how long the writers strike goes on for.

There is nothing left to even shitpost about. It's over.

One of my friends is actually directing an HoD episode now. They had everything rewritten prior to the strike so they are good to keep filming. No delays due to the writers strike.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

One of my friends is actually directing an HoD episode now. They had everything rewritten prior to the strike so they are good to keep filming. No delays due to the writers strike.

Well that's good to hear at least. And congrats to your friend by the way, I hope they do a good job on their episode.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ray Stevenson would've made such a fantastic Victarion, but seeing how those last seasons turned out, I'm glad he didn't get his time eaten up on that show.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

81sidewinder posted:

Do people talk about how Ty Franck may have already been ghostwriting for GURM on Feast/Dance? He's clearly ok with a collaborative effort of writing, and the timeline of The Expanse starting and the last ASOIAF book happening seems to synch up.

I don't know if it still comes up but it's definitely come up in the past. It'd be extremely funny if GRRM hasn't actually written anything since ASOS (if that), and Ty or someone else did most/all the work on AFFC and ADWD.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

He probably saw how much everyone hated the last season of the show and went full blown writers block cause that’s generally what he had planned and can’t find a way to write out of it.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

It's been 12 years, it's not writer's block or any kind of story problem. Either he's just not writing at all, or he's just idly writing a bit of this and that and not connecting it to a meaningful story. My guess is the second option because he does occasionally say he'll be done soon. That's probably when he has a lot of chapters that he thinks are ready, but then he reviews them and they don't fit together or something like that.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Writers are necessary during shooting, as well. If they're shooting with no on set rewrites...oof. Also, pretty scabby behavior.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

No, no we're supposed to be cowed and bowled over that "actual" people are here in the thread.

I mean really I've got no shade for people who managed to get work, good for y'all, but the above is also completely right.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Devorum posted:

Writers are necessary during shooting, as well. If they're shooting with no on set rewrites...oof. Also, pretty scabby behavior.

Look I’m not the director, and everyone including the writers, worked their asses off to get the writing for the episodes done before the strike hit. So the WGA writers working on the show knew exactly what was going on. I’m pretty sure the people working on the show have a better grasp of what is needed than you or I do when it comes to shooting the episodes. Besides it’s all shot in Europe, so the WGA strike doesn’t affect all writers over there.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Look I’m not the director, and everyone including the writers, worked their asses off to get the writing for the episodes done before the strike hit. So the WGA writers working on the show knew exactly what was going on. I’m pretty sure the people working on the show have a better grasp of what is needed than you or I do when it comes to shooting the episodes. Besides it’s all shot in Europe, so the WGA strike doesn’t affect all writers over there.

WGA spokespeople have explicitly called it out as scab-adjacent and asked folks to report it if they hear that rewrites are being done by the the director. It's still a WGA production, regardless of where it's being filmed, and bringing on non-WGA writers to fill any gaps is scabbing.

Call me crazy, but union solidarity matters more than getting to see the latest episode of whatever TV series.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

Devorum posted:

Call me crazy, but union solidarity matters more than getting to see the latest episode of whatever TV series.

Even if people don't believe in the solidarity of workers, the shows that keep going during the strike will be hosed. Having no one to do re-writes on set could ruin a show like this. Plenty of examples during the last strike.

Haven't started on House of the Dragon yet, and if the strike isn't solved in the next few weeks, I'm not sure I will bother.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I’m pretty sure the people working on the show have a better grasp of what is needed than you or I do when it comes to shooting the episodes.

Of course the people working on the show know more than us. Do they know as much as they would if the striking writers were on site? Obviously not.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Ugh, when it comes to ASOIAF TV serializations I really don't think this appeal to authority has much going for it, sure they know what it takes to 'film episodes' or whatever but obviously they don't know much about making them good, or not stupid, or visible on a regular television.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I’ve worked as a vfx artist on a number of high profile projects and worked with people who are on set and nobody really knows what they’re doing. They know enough to get the product out the door before it airs, that’s about it. So not having the writers there is a big hindrance because yeah the show will be delivered but whenever you’re missing any part that you normally would have it’s going to result in a worse product. The product will still be delivered though.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Do we really want more Arianne or Mercy chapters?

Mercy was the last chapter released, and after reading the thing it's a mercy we don't get anymore of that garbage

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ccs posted:

I’ve worked as a vfx artist on a number of high profile projects and worked with people who are on set and nobody really knows what they’re doing. They know enough to get the product out the door before it airs, that’s about it. So not having the writers there is a big hindrance because yeah the show will be delivered but whenever you’re missing any part that you normally would have it’s going to result in a worse product. The product will still be delivered though.

A writer is like a gallbladder. You can get by without one, for quite a long time, and it won't really be lethal. Thus it is very easy for scabs and shitheads to :smug: about missing a writer like "ok but we don't need-need you" and hope that posture makes the wider problem go away. They'll get the product out, they'll get paid, and that's all that "really" matters.

But go ask anyone missing their gallbladder if they noticed any effects on their day to day life. You'll find that "yeah it's a pain in the rear end" and "yeah it limits me" are common loving answers.

And for a show like House of the Dragon, well here's hoping that some middling episodes aren't enough to make people realize that they don't have to follow the platinum incest platoon week after week. Idk maybe they're doing batch releases on Max? Who the gently caress can keep up with that shitshow unless they're literally getting paid to.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
To be fair though, in this case it's more that the patient had a gallbladder removed that had not been working well for decades.

Union solidarity, I support the writers in this matter, and gently caress scabs and the owners. I'm a lefty and all that entails, but let's not pretend that the quality of writing in Hollywood hasn't taken a nosedive in the last decade or so. It's always been a business, but there has been a clear transition from 'media we can profit off of' to 'product.' And given how bad many modern products are, no, I'm honestly not sure that most audiences will notice or care that the product lacked writers to do rewrites - or at all.

How much money did Transformers 2 make, again? If that film had come out before that writers' strike ended, I imagine things might have played out very differently.

Like a lot of writers fear AI will replace their job, and I get that, but honestly at this point I think the real fear might be better placed as 'Hollywood realizes audiences are so easily bought that writers, human or otherwise, are not necessary at all.'

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

To be fair though, in this case it's more that the patient had a gallbladder removed that had not been working well for decades.

Union solidarity, I support the writers in this matter, and gently caress scabs and the owners. I'm a lefty and all that entails, but let's not pretend that the quality of writing in Hollywood hasn't taken a nosedive in the last decade or so. It's always been a business, but there has been a clear transition from 'media we can profit off of' to 'product.' And given how bad many modern products are, no, I'm honestly not sure that most audiences will notice or care that the product lacked writers to do rewrites - or at all.

How much money did Transformers 2 make, again? If that film had come out before that writers' strike ended, I imagine things might have played out very differently.

Like a lot of writers fear AI will replace their job, and I get that, but honestly at this point I think the real fear might be better placed as 'Hollywood realizes audiences are so easily bought that writers, human or otherwise, are not necessary at all.'

Kids, let's break this nonsense down.

You've got:

quote:

0. No-qualification qualification: "Union solidarity, I support the writers in this matter, and gently caress scabs and the owners. I'm a lefty and all that entails"

You'd have to be dumb to take this immediately at face value. Someone who opens with this is lying, incompetent, or deeply stupid. And I don't think they're incompetent or stupid.

quote:

1. Presumptive narrative-building to control the frame: "let's not pretend that the quality of writing in Hollywood hasn't taken a nosedive in the last decade or so"

This creates an immediate set of circumstances that are empirically not true either in pedantic detail or broad-stroke detail, and relies on you being either too dumb or too much of a spineless dicksucker to recognize it. Watch the response is going to be some vain attempt to get someone to engage with the false narrative "oh so you're saying the writing hasn't dipped in quality?" It doesn't loving matter! It's deliberately off the track!

quote:

2. More narrative-bullshit about some nebulous point "in the past" where things were "more pure" - " It's always been a business, but there has been a clear transition from 'media we can profit off of' to 'product.' "

Again, very easy to disprove if you dig around like, at all. The business has always been a business.

quote:

3. Weak follow-through argument: "And given how bad many modern products are, no, I'm honestly not sure that most audiences will notice or care that the product lacked writers to do rewrites - or at all."

This only makes sense if you buy a bullshit narrative because you're either vain and want to believe that you're the only sane one in a world of fools, or you're just another toadie looking to play ball with the team line. If you want to buy it? Good on you. I hope that poo poo tastes like chocolate.

quote:

4. Weird attempt to appeal to recent nostalgia and what one thinks a bunch of loser nerds would want to hear: "How much money did Transformers 2 make, again? If that film had come out before that writers' strike ended, I imagine things might have played out very differently."

Again not engaging with the point directly, because come the gently caress on. No one cares. That's your best example too? I would have used like, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, get some synergy up with that Spider-verse wannabe coming out soon.

quote:

5. More presumptive narrative-building: "Like a lot of writers fear AI will replace their job"

Not any more than writers have ever feared the lovely backbiting dog pits and social fellatio needed to secure a job among the privileged. The exact same type of moron who will fire a writer for not laughing the right way at a joke was already looking to cut costs with a new toy. The only reason to be afraid is if you were dumb enough to get into the industry with writing as your sole means of security.

quote:

6. Restating the thesis, just like you were taught in Grade 6: "I think the real fear might be better placed as 'Hollywood realizes audiences are so easily bought that writers, human or otherwise, are not necessary at all.'"

Y'know Michael Eisner has a quote from the 80s or 90s about how Disney is in no way obligated to make good stories or art of any kind, their only real goal is to make money, but that in pursuit of that goal they will often end up doing just that. That's the alchemy. That's why art and culture remain powerful tools in spite of their financial volatility and the leviathan mountain of bullshit associated with it at every level.

Media industries can go forever on infrastructure. There's a percentage of the world socially engineered enough to plunk down $x on a movie or streaming service or cable TV package as a means of release from daily misery and as a tool for indirect social connection. But there's only so far it goes before the lack of quality degrades repeat showings and diminishes brand integrity. And good luck pushing social messages in that lovely memetic way. Even the almighty nostalgia dollar only carries so much weight if you actually want that "intergenerational touchstone" aspect where a product lasts more than a week or two.

The problem you have isn't the writers, and it isn't the greedy bastards at the top, and it isn't even "these modern times."

It's people. The industry visibly resents the human element at every level. And to that I say the same thing everyone tells anyone struggling-- "if you don't like it, go into the industrial sector and make socks or forks or any other domestic product with a captive market and low expectations."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Writers deserve less.