Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Dew Worm, look at this writeup on fuchsias and see if your balcony might work. They're gloriously beautiful, they bloom all summer, and bees and butterflies love them. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/fuchsia/growing-fuchsia-flower.htm

I just got some and they are lovely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Glorious. That's a beautiful tree. Frankly, a mature apple produces far more apples than one household will eat, even accounting for freezing lots of applesauce, and a lot of the purpose of pruning is to maximize fruit.

Oh, well, it does produce loads and loads of small, lumpy apples, because we can't spray the drat thing due to its location and size, nor can we try and prune it to only having one apple per spur. We did gather a shitload of the apples at one point and carefully sliced them up in case there were friends inside and made an apple crumble and it was Not Great. I have no idea what kind of apples they are, but squirrels go nuts for them in the fall and I'm very ok with it feeding wildlife instead of people. Given a choice I might rather have a bosc pear because they don't seem to need a lot of care to give edible fruit, but this tree was here when my landlady bought the house and it'll be here when she kicks the bucket and leaves it to me and I'm very on board with there being a massive apple tree of unknown provenance. I don't know how long they live for but I'm not going to have to worry about replacing it for a very long time.

I think it might be taller than the house.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Also, I repotted my zamioculcas and discovered it was practically trying to haul itself out of the pot it was in. Someone once told me these things are slow-growing and what a load of poo poo that was.

Got a new bleeding heart for out front and also a new hosta (Dream Queen) for the back yard. I saw one called Big Daddy at the store and I might see if they still have it the next time I'm there. I could find space for a chomky boi.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Mad Hamish posted:

I think it might be taller than the house.
Mmm, I grew up in a house with apple trees like that. One of them had a low bough that was perfect for curling up with a book, hidden in a cloud of appleblossom.

It's possible your tree is a seedling, or a sour variety intended for cider.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Ok Comboomer posted:

any recommendations for hats? I have a bunch of baseball caps and a widebrim straw boater that I occasionally wear in the yard but I'd love some options for quality garden/sweat/work-friendly headwear

I just get whatever wide brimmed straw hat Lowe’s or the gas station or wherever is selling and wear a bandana under it for sweat. Somehow I invariably poke holes in the hat and then it looks goofy but I like pretty goofy when I’m doing yard work anyway

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

Also, I repotted my zamioculcas and discovered it was practically trying to haul itself out of the pot it was in. Someone once told me these things are slow-growing and what a load of poo poo that was.

A lot of people buy them for spots with low light, where they're pretty bullet-proof but they grow real slow. If you actually give them light it's a very different plant.

Ostrava
Aug 21, 2014
Anyone in this thread have experience growing Yellow Avalanche-lily (Erythronium grandiflorum)?

https://www.fs.usda.gov/wildflowers/plant-of-the-week/erythronium_grandiflorum.shtml

Mine have been yellowing out on the leaves. Looks like Chlorosis but I can't figure out what the underlying cause is. My best guess is the soil is either too rich or perhaps needs to be more coarse? It could be altitude I suppose but that would be a first for me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

No help here, but drat, those are gorgeous.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My mother bought two potted fuchsia from the cubscouts and they arrived and were too big for her so now i have them in an air conditioner cage i dont use. See how it goes.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://youtube.com/shorts/A3-yV518Zc0?feature=share

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I'm starting to get worried about the fig trees I planted right around this time last year. (Italian honey fig & Beer's black fig, NC zone 7b/8a). When ordered/planted last year they already had advanced root systems and were about 2-3' tall. They showed plenty of leafy growth (and even a tiny fruit) until mid-autumn. But now I'm still waiting to see anything -- at least up top. I am seeing shoots at the bottom of both plants, though. The first few times I nipped them off because I wanted growth up top instead. But now I'm thinking maybe there's an issue and I need to cut them back. I don't want them to be super bushy, though -- I was hoping for decently tall trunks. What's the best way to go about this?

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Empress Wu-pdate

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited
more like empress woah

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Sir do not touch the o'keefe paintings. Sir!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

Do not, under, any circumstances, awoo.

Good Lord that is one robust and full-bodied hosta.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Yow! I hit up Telly's today and filled my big cart AND my wagon trunk AND backseat and STILL hadn't bought all of the annuals on my list (a trip to Telly's Shelby took care of that), so I didn't get a chance to browse/snag any hostas. We're definitely going back to look at shade perennials, though--can't wait.

Then I had to lug all my plants inside with temps dropping tonight. :(

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Hirayuki posted:

Yow! I hit up Telly's today and filled my big cart AND my wagon trunk AND backseat and STILL hadn't bought all of the annuals on my list (a trip to Telly's Shelby took care of that), so I didn't get a chance to browse/snag any hostas. We're definitely going back to look at shade perennials, though--can't wait.

Then I had to lug all my plants inside with temps dropping tonight. :(

Yeeeeah, I think I'm gonna go to Telly's next Friday to do my shopping. I don't have a ton to do beyond the hostas as I'm mostly focused on expanding one of the garden beds this year, but I love seeing the cool stuff Telly's has. Not to mention everything I've ever bought from there has done amazingly well (Empress Wu is from Telly's Troy!)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
does that make this an empress wu?

we moved in about two years ago but are just starting to get a handle on the existing landscaping

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Could be a Sum and Substance. That's another huge hosta cultivar.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
There are quite a few large cultivars now, flower color, presence of fragrance might help to identify, as well as if it has glaucous-leaf coating.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

the milk machine posted:

does that make this an empress wu?

we moved in about two years ago but are just starting to get a handle on the existing landscaping

I think kid sinister is right! That looks like a Sum and Substance, which is more of a bright green variety, whereas empress is a more blue green. Those massive hostas are my fav, gonna find one of them Sum and Substances

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Hat chat:

I saw the Hemlock Hats went down to "Little Kid" and "Big Kid" sizing, and since I stopped growing at 11, I gave one of the on-sale Big Kids-sized hats a try.

It actually fits! The crown had an adjustable band and I can get it small enough to keep the brim off my ears. Usually with sun hats I just give up and tuck my ears inside the crown.

The crown still looks comically tall on my 5' frame, but the brim is wide and the hat fits. It's a good companion to my cheapie $10 sunhat.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Sir Lemming posted:

I'm starting to get worried about the fig trees I planted right around this time last year. (Italian honey fig & Beer's black fig, NC zone 7b/8a). When ordered/planted last year they already had advanced root systems and were about 2-3' tall. They showed plenty of leafy growth (and even a tiny fruit) until mid-autumn. But now I'm still waiting to see anything -- at least up top. I am seeing shoots at the bottom of both plants, though. The first few times I nipped them off because I wanted growth up top instead. But now I'm thinking maybe there's an issue and I need to cut them back. I don't want them to be super bushy, though -- I was hoping for decently tall trunks. What's the best way to go about this?

Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on this -- I'm considering making some cuts today and don't want to accidentally kill the trees.

I'm planning to do the "cut test" at the top of the trees and work my way down until I see green, then cut off whatever looks dead. To me this seems like the least risky way to address the situation. Is there anything I need to look out for?

Pretty much everything else in my yard seems to be growing, as well as the aforementioned shoots on these trees, so it definitely seems like I need to do something.

(I would provide pictures but basically you'd just see dead-lookin' trees.)

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sir Lemming posted:

Just wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on this -- I'm considering making some cuts today and don't want to accidentally kill the trees.

I'm planning to do the "cut test" at the top of the trees and work my way down until I see green, then cut off whatever looks dead. To me this seems like the least risky way to address the situation. Is there anything I need to look out for?

Pretty much everything else in my yard seems to be growing, as well as the aforementioned shoots on these trees, so it definitely seems like I need to do something.

(I would provide pictures but basically you'd just see dead-lookin' trees.)

No advice on the pruning except that figs are generally pretty tough ime, but be careful around the sap. Wear gloves/long sleeves as if you get fig sap on your skin and then it gets exposed to sun it can cause phytodermatitis which is no fun.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Speaking of tree pruning, I've got some evergreens on my new property that appear to be dying from the bottom up. None of them are near any structures.
While "hire a professional arborist" is on my list of things to do, I also wanted to ask the goon-opinion first. There's a hundred "tree guys" around here that just want to convince everyone to cut everything down for profit, so it's hard to trust when someone says a tree's a goner.

1) Can I/should I snip off the branches that appear to be 100% dead? If they're dead and hurting the tree, it'd sure be easier if I could get rid of them and mow a lot easier. Same for the branches that are like 90% dead with just a wee bit of green at the tips, or are those "alive" and should be left alone?
2) Any guess what's going on? Is it just climate change and Southeastern Minnesota isn't cold enough for them anymore? They're too close together and not getting enough sun? or do I have one of these blights and there's actually something I can do about it?

Thanks!!

PS: Apple trees are doing well so far, despite about 6 days of wet feet before the water finally cleared a few days ago.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on May 21, 2023

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
^ You can prune the spruce trees (they look like maybe blue spruce, hard to tell from the picture). But they will never grow new limbs down there. The good news is that those grow fast and if you cull them you can buy small ones and they’ll be pretty big in 3-4 years. Sometimes they just die off, and the lower branches can die off in the freezes. Go drive though the northern forests of MN/WI and there will be a ton of trees with those bottom branches just dead. Tree decided it didn’t need them anymore.

My parents in WI have had a bunch die off in the last few years for various reasons. Storms and just nature decide for you sometimes.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
Most arborists will do a quote/check it out for free. Also the professional arborists I've come in contact with (we live in WI and have two absolutely huge and old silver maples near our house so, a lot) are more inclined to do what it takes keep a tree alive if it is reasonable to do so. I think the above post is right but you might as well have someone come look at it. Look for a company with ISA certified arborists on staff to weed out the hack jobs.

marchantia fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 21, 2023

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Goons, what type of hose do you use and why? Bonus question, what’s your hose storage solution? Trying to figure out something for our front and back yard this year

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

bagmonkey posted:

Goons, what type of hose do you use and why? Bonus question, what’s your hose storage solution? Trying to figure out something for our front and back yard this year

I switched to expanding hoses a few years ago—makes it easy to just wrap on one of those things you hang on a wall to wrap a hose around. If you buy a really cheap one it will be garbage within a month (if you're lucky), but I haven't had any issues with the higher priced versions.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

bagmonkey posted:

I’ve had this for a month now and am pretty happy with it

https://a.co/d/fp9kLZe

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
NEW ROSE HOURS WHO UP

David Austin Roses released their new rose at the Chelsea Flower Show this week. Rose groups are unsurprisingly aghast that there's (finally) a rose honoring a black gardener who does a lot of nonprofit and not the coronation (yet. There's a second rose coming for '23.)

It's a smaller sized apricot rose that looks a lot like a rose that had been discontinued recently for health reasons (Jude The Obscure). I've got a really big orange bush coming in and some pots that need attention, so I'm excited for it to come stateside. Especially since I think rose hips are really neat and not all of the romantic English roses grow them.

rose time

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I love my David Austin rose ("Graham Thomas," recommended in this very thread), even if we didn't properly train it to climb and have instead let it grow crazy and wild. These are glorious! I wish we had a place for them.

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
They're my Big Thing right now.

In the fall, I planted 3 Lady of Shallot bushes to try to get a huge stately bush going with huge orange blooms (it's going to end up being something absurd like an 8'x8' cluster eventually) and they're growing great. It almost exactly matches a tattoo I got recently, so I'm all in on them.

I've got a potted Poet's Wife (yellow) and Olivia (pink) on preorder that should be shipping soon to go in big 24" square pots in the back yard.

I'm so excited to drown in roses.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Welp, I went ahead and did the cut test on my 2 fig trees and unfortunately it does look like they've died down to just above the base. I'm still not sure why this happened -- it wasn't a harsh winter by any means, and pretty much everything else has survived just fine. I guess I'll just take my chances on the shoots and cut the rest away.

I'm guessing this is below a graft point, so I'll probably just give up any hopes of actually getting fruit from these. If they just become trees at all, I'll be happy.

Meanwhile, my mature Bartlett pear tree in the backyard seems like it's decided not to give us pears for the first time in 6 years, so I guess it's just gonna be that kind of year! Still tons of new growth... Just no pears. :shrug:

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Sir Lemming posted:

Welp, I went ahead and did the cut test on my 2 fig trees and unfortunately it does look like they've died down to just above the base. I'm still not sure why this happened -- it wasn't a harsh winter by any means, and pretty much everything else has survived just fine. I guess I'll just take my chances on the shoots and cut the rest away.

I'm guessing this is below a graft point, so I'll probably just give up any hopes of actually getting fruit from these. If they just become trees at all, I'll be happy.

Meanwhile, my mature Bartlett pear tree in the backyard seems like it's decided not to give us pears for the first time in 6 years, so I guess it's just gonna be that kind of year! Still tons of new growth... Just no pears. :shrug:
Figs root incredibly easily so they may be rooted cuttings and not grafted? I don't know much about commercial practice there though. Is there any evidence of something girdling the main stem?

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
A while ago I posted for advice on a plant my girlfriend gave me that I was killing - it's doing much better! Putting out lots of nice new leaves, now that it's getting some nice light from the window instead of getting death-ray'd by my grow lights for my succulents. Thank you, horticulture thread.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Have I mentioned I'm a freak for hens and chicks?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Figs root incredibly easily so they may be rooted cuttings and not grafted? I don't know much about commercial practice there though. Is there any evidence of something girdling the main stem?

Honestly I'm just parroting something I saw on Google. I have no specific reason to think they're grafted.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
My brother had young figs that got frozen to the ground and they just came back from the roots the next spring. He lost a year of growth, but they came back pretty fast since they already had a good root system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

My garden is growing. Plants ftw.