Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DicktheCat posted:

This is very rare these days, a straight up action chapter.

I like the really thoughtful stuff on the series, but sometimes you just want to see a chainsaw motorcycle doing sick stunts.

Asa rules. It is interesting, sometimes I don't think Denji was ever the protag, for how rare it is that he's the pov character. It has been mostly other characters whose heads we've explored. We see him do a lot of action, but even in the first run of the comic, it was usually someone else's head we were in.

I do enjoy when we do see what's in Denji's head, though, because he isn't really as dumb as he seems.

Also, I've been wondering, what's up with the setting? There's been a few things mentioned going on in the background of the world that directly contradict what came before, and I know better than to think it's a lapse. is the implication that Control Freak is still at it, or some other devil is doing things?

Denji was the POV character all the time in part 1. We just regularly got other people's viewpoints too, like Himeno and Power and Aki and even Aldo. (Just not Makima.)

Meanwhile, we're getting Asa's viewpoint almost exclusively, save for an occasional beat for Denji.

Also, what changes are you thinking of? I doubt Nayuta's up to anything too sinister, but there could be something, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

DicktheCat posted:

This is very rare these days, a straight up action chapter.

I like the really thoughtful stuff on the series, but sometimes

I qualify your statement because there is a bit of thoughtfulness in the beginning of this chapter. This ongoing conflict since the Falling Devil manifested has been about self-forgiveness, being able to move beyond your internal and external conflicts, and the inherent vulnerability with forming a bond with someone else. These are all problems that Denji has had in the past and that Asa is experiencing them now. And in this current chapter, because of Denji, Asa realizes that she can live through these hardships. For someone who recently feared the pain of death more than death itself, Asa is willing to hurt herself to save someone else, leaning into that inherent vulnerability with forming a bond with someone else.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I'm mostly annoyed functionality that existed in the Viz app disappeared without me understanding it was going to happen. My SJ subscription always allowed me to read those chapters in the Viz Manga app. Is it a big change? No, I got the other one and read the chapter, but yeah just seems silly especially when the apps themselves are indistinguishable from one another besides the coloring of the menus (red vs yellow). I'd understand and appreciate it more if there was a functional difference between the apps to the naked eye.

My favorite manga reader app thing is that in the EU, you cannot pay for the shonen jump app due to licensing. It’s all free!

But you can read each chapter only once ever after which it becomes permanently inaccessible

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Electric Phantasm posted:

Someone did the math in another thread, but for the price of subscribing to both Viz and SJ you get 7 chapters in Kodansha's app.

No, see, this is actually the perfect way to increase traffic to MangaDex

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ugusername posted:

Man Fujimoto really thought that people couldn't relate to a literal trash eating teenager that wanted boobs. So he gave us Asa.
Yeah my man, that is actually me. I look for cm every week to affirm my existence now fr fr

Idk, I think he just wanted a main character who’s broken in a different way than Denji and had a devil that was far, far more toxic.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

goblin week posted:

My favorite manga reader app thing is that in the EU, you cannot pay for the shonen jump app due to licensing. It’s all free!

But you can read each chapter only once ever after which it becomes permanently inaccessible

No that's a third app, we have that one too and it has a different catalog than the SJ app.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

goblin week posted:

Okay yeah thats worse

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

No chap, but

https://twitter.com/itslittletunny/status/1658545843119480863

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
No sir, I do not like Wet Pochita.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
So I just finished reading Firepunch. I bring it up here because it gives an interesting look into Chainsawman's themes.

1) I think Firepunch artwork is better which is strange since it's an earlier work. I like Fujimoto's scratchy, almost insane looking characters, but Firepunch was a final draft versus CSM's first draft look.

2) Firepunch tries to have introspective themes but the gore and doom gets in the way of it a lot of the time. Narrative pieces don't get a chance to breathe like CSM. CSM does have gloom and doom but its' cast circles back around to a reinforcing of the previously explored themes, like Himeno's fear of losing more friends, Power's lack of power after confronting the darkness devil, or Denji just haphazardly navigating all this bullshit he is put into.

3) Firepunch does have some really good questions and narrative uses for its central gimmick. People have blessings, these blessings can be used in the wider world and have a real impact on the world.

4) Firepunch just hilariously offs characters. It's like a rocket launch. Sometimes their arc detonates spectacularly on the launch pad, sometimes they get past the clouds before detonating. Sometimes the rocket doesn't detonate but plows into a barn full of animals. CSM lets the arcs finish (unless you're a disposable mook) in a satisfying (and sad!) way.

If folks like CSM Firepunch is worth your time. Just be prepared for a rougher experience. Oh and there is no humor in Firepunch. Only sadness. And fire.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

Nah, Fire Punch is funny.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Donkringel posted:

there is no humor in Firepunch. Only sadness. And fire.

One of the main villains’ primary motivation involves genociding all of humanity in the name of watching Star Wars. The gently caress do you mean there’s no humor?

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

AnoHito posted:

One of the main villains’ primary motivation involves genociding all of humanity in the name of watching Star Wars. The gently caress do you mean there’s no humor?

Not to oversell it, but this was perhaps the funniest gut punch in any manga I've ever read. What an amazing turn. And yet its still thematically relevant to the themes of Fire punch people create their own reasons for living, no matter how pointless and dumb it may seem

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Fire Punch starts off pretty rough and it is a loving ride of total and complete madness the whole way through but it's got a lot of really interesting ideas and when it hits it hits real hard.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

AnoHito posted:

It may have been because I binged it, but there was so much going on it didn't really register as humor for me. I just came off from seeing a mountain of corpses and one character going "Oh yea, I'm a crazy old person but isn't it wacky that I have this motivation?!"

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Fire Punch is so bleak and often simultaneously absurd that it feels like black comedy at least sometimes.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Fire Punch is basically the Aristocrats joke (which means its funny)

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

FirePunch cranks it all to 11, just because, and then since its beyond the scale of sensibility just gives it up entirely in the finale and yeah. It's an odd one, got some good stuff, but its hard to take too seriously because its so beyond bonkers.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Fire Punch has this air of extreme cynicism about itself that I think Chainsaw Man lacks, and makes the latter the far better read for me.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I agree that CSM is way better. I liked learning where that smiling agni picture came from though.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah everything is terrible forever in Fire Punch. I still really enjoyed it because it gets buck wild. which really feeds into where tf is CSM going to end up

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I'm glad I read Fire Punch so that when it was announced he was working on a series called Chainsaw Man I nodded and said "yes immediately I will read it thank you"

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Fire Punch got me a date so I’ll always have a soft spot for it, buckwildness aside

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestonJew posted:

Fire Punch got me a date so I’ll always have a soft spot for it, buckwildness aside

I am sure you and your and your sister/maybe not sister/clone had a great time.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Fire Punch spoilers

For me, what makes Fire Punch work despite the extreme darkness of the setting is that it isn't actually nihilistic. The Star Wars joke is hilarious, but it's also a direct statement of the theme of the series. Despite how much of a lovely nightmare the world is and everyone's lives, everyone keeps on going and finding new things to live for even when they're actively stating they want to die. Pretty much everyone refuses to give up even at the absolute worst of times and multiple times while Agni says to himself he's done he on instinct just keeps going on anyway. There's something really powerful about the sheer degrees Fire Punch goes to for reinforcing this over and over again, even in the ending despite how batshit it gets. It's an unbelievably rough around the edges series, but the core is genuinely really strong.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Hi everyone please look at this great sticker I just bought

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 20, 2023

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
meowy :3:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Happy Landfill posted:

Hi everyone please look at this great sticker I just bought

take me to this happy place. how can I find it?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

take me to this happy place. how can I find it?

https://trxyland.com/products/chainsaw-man-vinyl-stickers?variant=43154539741347

There's a Denji and Aki, too :kimchi: I also got a Rowlet pin from her. She's got cute stuff!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Happy Landfill posted:

https://trxyland.com/products/chainsaw-man-vinyl-stickers?variant=43154539741347

There's a Denji and Aki, too :kimchi: I also got a Rowlet pin from her. She's got cute stuff!

gently caress why is everything so gosh darn cute. my wallet is going to hate me

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

gently caress why is everything so gosh darn cute. my wallet is going to hate me

She has incredibly cute stuff and I'm a sucker for enamel pins.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1016546

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

"What kind of Devil even is that thing?"

Literally my thoughts just before I got to the panel lol

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
So the Chainsaw Man videogame is going to have a kicking rad vehicle section

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

its clearly the death devil

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

7 Days! 7 Days! 7 Days!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

god drat those spreads

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The incredibly consistency of Denji being such a loving idiot he doesnt know whats going on or whats happening as he effortlessly trounces the devils attempts to kill and eat him are so funny

Denji's greatest gift is the ability to just "roll with it" , Asa could learn a thing or two from him!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
"WTF am I even reading?" - me reading this chapter, and also most previous chapters.

symbolic posted:

god drat those spreads
My immediate thought was, "Fujimoto's been studying his Katsuhiro Otomo, hasn't he?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

"What kind of Devil even is that thing?"

Literally my thoughts just before I got to the panel lol

Same!!!!

What a sick chapter.