Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

How many ounces of dry pasta should go with this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I haven't had their alfredo but a jar of red sauce is good for about 8oz pasta depending on how saucy you like it.

Also their red sauces are all great, their soups are disgusting.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Isn’t Alfredo sauce one of the easiest things in the world to make yourself?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

Sometimes one receives gifts of food

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Steve Yun posted:

Sometimes one receives gifts of food

You should shame the gift giver, assert your dominance and win the day, that’ll teach that fucker not to demean you by giving you stuff

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I think Ragusa is better at video making than cooking and his advice is middling at best. No better or worse than any other general YouTube source but he shouldn't be used as an authortative source for anything. He said cast iron wasnt worth the trouble at one point lol. He's just a guy who's good at filming and editing who had a viral pizza vid and then stuck with the food theme :shrug:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

America's test kitchen is the best cooking media imo. The "What's Eating Dan" series is so good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMBegZ4HQvk

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Eeyo posted:

Not gonna lie, I'll probably never deep fry at home. I've done it in the past to impress my wife (then girlfriend) but now that we're married there's no use.

I just get a little fried food, as a treat, from time to time at a restaurant.

I've never deep-fried. It always seemed like a terrible waste of oil, or a use for oil that would then rarely be re-used. The occasional fried dish out is nice but I don't like all that much deep-fried stuff - too...oily? Probably because it's not done that well.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

PokeJoe posted:

I think Ragusa is better at video making than cooking and his advice is middling at best. No better or worse than any other general YouTube source but he shouldn't be used as an authortative source for anything. He said cast iron wasnt worth the trouble at one point lol. He's just a guy who's good at filming and editing who had a viral pizza vid and then stuck with the food theme :shrug:

His research and synthesis skills are his main draw. He is an academic by training and so he reads and evaluates studies so I don't have to. His podcasts (also on YouTube) are great.

I don't think I've ever made a recipe of his lol

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

therattle posted:

I've never deep-fried. It always seemed like a terrible waste of oil, or a use for oil that would then rarely be re-used. The occasional fried dish out is nice but I don't like all that much deep-fried stuff - too...oily? Probably because it's not done that well.

You can filter home fry oil with a paper towel and it'll last.

Cold oil fries are a reason to deepfry at home

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I had been buying the raos marinara at Costco for a while. It’s tasty but just a hair too salty imo. And I am a salt fiend.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

therattle posted:

It could just be not for you, but typically when fried food is too greasy (that is, greasier than usual) it's a sign the oil wasn't hot enough.

For me deep frying at home just isn't worth the smell. Maybe if I had a porch or something I would stick a Fry Daddy out there.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Yeah, the cleanup sucks, I don’t love the danger, and tbh I just shouldn’t be trusted with the knowledge. I end up deep-frying at home like once or twice a year maybe. I do the gelatin oil-cleaning technique, then just fridge the leftover oil for months.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nobody has to deep fry if they don't want to but it's not really hard/messy enough for a blanket statement that it's not worth doing yourself to be reasonable any more than it would be for most other cooking

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

mystes posted:

Nobody has to deep fry if they don't want to but it's not really hard/messy enough for a blanket statement that it's not worth doing yourself to be reasonable any more than it would be for most other cooking

Yeah definitely, I wasn't agreeing with the sentiment "nobody should deep fry at home". Like the stuff I have made tasted good, so it's clearly worth it.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

First FGR tribute cook posted:

BrianBoitano posted:

FGR over here lying from the grave :argh: ain't no way this takes 15 minutes to cook unless you go turbo boil or suh

https://i.imgur.com/uXnTh49.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/WoJEMwe.mp4

I probably made it go slower with my jury rigged induction adapter, but it was still about an hour for a half batch. Fun project, will update with finished product tomorrow!

BrianBoitano posted:

Update: caramels are tasty! Probably took it a touch too far, I was only gauging based on temp after stirring a few seconds, which in retrospect releases steam and cools it down temporarily.

Texture is awesome, cool to see such fun culinary alchemy at work. Thanks FGR

Just finished my vanilla ice cream, so making his custard base is next!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

They look great! I made his quick waffle recipe for my breakfast this morning and made a post about that.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
hey, bookmarks users: Fluffdaddy made a stickied thread asking for input on who should be our new mod. give it some thought and send him a PM if you have input, or post in the thread.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Yeah Adam Ragusea has a face that annoys me, and really really clickbait dumb takes.

RE: Frying oil. USE IT FOR COOKING, NOT FOR DEEP FRYING A SECOND TIME. I'll deep fry a couple of times a year, because there are certain Indian snacks (bajji, murukku, vadai) that have to be deep fried, as there's no air fryer or other hippie low fat equivalent. I'll make enough of the stuff for a batch that can be et in a day or two, then strain out the oil through a strainer. That then goes into those little squeeze bottles for me to use whenever I'm cooking. Daal, potatoes, rice, whatever. All of it calls for oil, and all of it tastes better when I use the deep fry oil. I'll never reuse oil for deep frying for more deep frying. It's already done that once, and it's "tired". Now it's time to use it for other stuff.

Another good thing is to make mayonnaise with it. There's a vegan mayonnaise I make with 1/3 cup of soy milk, 3/4 tsp of vinegar, like a teaspoon or two of mustard (depending on my taste that day), some salt, and then 2/3 cup of oil. I use a stick blender to combine it, and it comes out really well. I've used fry oil to make said mayo, and then dip the fried food in it. It's some next level stuff.

But either way. Don't throw out your fry oil or try to use it for frying again. Use it for cooking, and it'll be fine.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Well I'm glad I missed the Teflon slap fight. I wanted to let everyone know Amazon has the OXO Good Grips Pro 10" Frying Pan Skillet on sale for $20.45 after on-page coupon. It's probably as good as the Tramontina Teflon pan that's usually a crowd favorite around here. Really good price, it's normally $49.99.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Made risotto for the first (def not last) time tonight. Some takeaways:

- Even a mediocre risotto is still good
- 1 1/3rd cup of arborio rice makes a surprisingly large amount of risotto
- This is such a good dish for dried mushrooms. It was very convenient to make a broth out of ~1cup of mushrooms and some spare veggies then cut up those mushrooms to use in the risotto, and the broth gives it this incredible umami

Edit: - it’s a very calming dish to make. Just poured an Old Fashioned, put on some music and slowly stirred away. Not many dishes like that (at least that I’ve made).

Anno fucked around with this message at 03:35 on May 23, 2023

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I’ve got a big tub of dried mushrooms from Costco I should try mushroom risotto some time. They taste good but the texture on the varieties is hit or miss. Maybe the slow cooking will help out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Scientastic posted:

Yes, even easier than a white sauce, yet I have a friend who thinks the recipe for alfredo involves two blocks of cream cheese. :psyduck:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m upset that chanterelles never popped up at any of my local costcos this winter

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Anno posted:

Edit: - it’s a very calming dish to make. Just poured an Old Fashioned, put on some music and slowly stirred away. Not many dishes like that (at least that I’ve made).

Wisdom. Despite no-stir risotto existing, you should never make them, and this is why

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I find risotto a very boring dish to eat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

therattle posted:

I find risotto a very boring dish to eat.

Thank you. I am glad I am not the only one. I truly do not get risotto.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Rice is good. Sometimes rice cooked with stock is good too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Rice is good. Sometimes rice cooked with stock is good too.

Yeah, maybe as a side or a small starter, but a big bowl of risotto is just so loving boring. I love rice but I do not love risotto.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Have you tried deep frying it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Risotto can be really good and ime it's more like a blank slate to work with, just like any other starch.

No idea about the Italian authenticity of the dish, but I often make risotto with chicken thighs, mushrooms, and peas (with whatever else - cream/parmesan/butter are whatever's in the house) and provided that the stock is rich enough to actually taste chickenny, it's a great dish in the chicken and dumplings or chicken pot pie family of flavours.

Beet risotto is really good too, and again you can add lots of bits if you want - I've done it as rice, shredded beets, and cream, to leave it as a homogeneous neon pink side dish, and I've done it adding every borscht ingredient that my garden and pantry can provide (leftover roast pork, chard, cabbage, carrots, etc). Again, delicious.

So if your risotto is boring, stop making boring risotto.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Risotto can be really good and ime it's more like a blank slate to work with, just like any other starch.

No idea about the Italian authenticity of the dish, but I often make risotto with chicken thighs, mushrooms, and peas (with whatever else - cream/parmesan/butter are whatever's in the house) and provided that the stock is rich enough to actually taste chickenny, it's a great dish in the chicken and dumplings or chicken pot pie family of flavours.

Beet risotto is really good too, and again you can add lots of bits if you want - I've done it as rice, shredded beets, and cream, to leave it as a homogeneous neon pink side dish, and I've done it adding every borscht ingredient that my garden and pantry can provide (leftover roast pork, chard, cabbage, carrots, etc). Again, delicious.

So if your risotto is boring, stop making boring risotto.

I'm certainly no expert but risotto, especially as described in this post as a base upon which you can build complimentary flavours, just makes me think risotto is Italian Congee.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

HOT WET RICE

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
The only boring part of Risotto to me, is I accidentally make just a stupid amount, every time I make it. I hate wasting food, so it's lunch and dinner for like 3+ days. Accessorised, but still - much squishy rice food.

Anyone have clever suggestions for celeriac, other than roasted and/or mashed? CSA started with a cantaloupe sized root left from last season. Also got lettuce, potatoes and carrots (last season too), asparagus, green onions, spinach, and radishes. Yay!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Julienned and made into slaw with a really punchy vinaigrette, it’s lovely

mystes
May 31, 2006

Arkhamina posted:

The only boring part of Risotto to me, is I accidentally make just a stupid amount, every time I make it. I hate wasting food, so it's lunch and dinner for like 3+ days.
Does it not freeze well? I don't think I've tried

VelociBacon posted:

I'm certainly no expert but risotto, especially as described in this post as a base upon which you can build complimentary flavours, just makes me think risotto is Italian Congee.
The consistency is kind of different I think

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 23, 2023

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Arkhamina posted:

The only boring part of Risotto to me, is I accidentally make just a stupid amount, every time I make it. I hate wasting food, so it's lunch and dinner for like 3+ days.

Leftover risotto is the BEST part about it, because you make arancini or suppli out of it.

Leftover risotto wrapped around a chunk of mozz(bonus points for smoked mozz), breaded and shallow fried then dipped in a good tomato sauce is like, one of the top five best things you can eat.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib

Doom Rooster posted:

Leftover risotto is the BEST part about it, because you make arancini or suppli out of it.

Leftover risotto wrapped around a chunk of mozz(bonus points for smoked mozz), breaded and shallow fried then dipped in a good tomato sauce is like, one of the top five best things you can eat.

Ooh. New words for me, not heard of these foods before, will check them out! I'm a celiac, so while I can make stuff at home, not a lot of gluten free Italian food options in restaurants.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Arkhamina posted:

Ooh. New words for me, not heard of these foods before, will check them out! I'm a celiac, so while I can make stuff at home, not a lot of gluten free Italian food options in restaurants.

Heck yeah, you are in for a treat. Get some gluten free flour, and gluten free panko style bread crumbs/flakes.

On my phone, so a little short but the basics are:

Fully cool risotto
In a small bowl, mix 1 egg with 1/2 cup water
Fill a small bowl with flour 1/2 way
Fill a medium bowl with bread crumbs 1/2 way
(Optional)Cut mozzarella into cubes a little bigger than a pencil eraser (dry mozz, not the stuff floating in brine)

Roll a ball of about 2Tbsp of risotto

(Optional) Push a mozz cube into the center and squeeze/press the hole closed.

Repeat until you run out of risotto.

Roll balls in flour, then egg, then bread crumbs, letting them sit on a sheet pan for 15+ minutes.

Fry at 350f in enough oil to cover, until nicely brown and crispy. About 3 minutes.

If you want it to look pretty, put a ladle of sauce on a plate, serve suppli on top, dust with parm and parsley or basil. When it’s just me and my wife, dry plate, ramekins of sauce for dipping with parm in the sauce.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mystes posted:

The consistency is kind of different I think

No definitely, I guess I meant more like the role it serves.