Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

most Americans don’t even use the app to order ahead any way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Share Bear posted:

i dont see how this solves any problems besides americans hate getting out of their cars and walking

you may underestimate how much americans hate getting out of their cars and walking

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its funny bc these big companies have no problem INCREASING labor costs if it means keeping undesireables out.

the mcdonald's down the street _removed_ their self serve soda machine because unhoused people hang out there now and then. Just a big empty counter there it looks terrible. And yes you ahve to go to the counter and take your lid and straw off and drip soda everywhere while somebody refills your used paper cup with sugar water

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

nudgenudgetilt posted:

you may underestimate how much americans hate getting out of their cars and walking

i've seen big box parking lots, people driving around for like 10-30 minutes waiting to snipe a parking spot closer to the door or just straight up taking handicap spots, i am aware

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

:mad:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
imo "server" is one of the jobs i think we could most do without. i'm told that one of the main reasons for keeping them around is so creepy old dudes have someone to flirt with or abuse, knowing that their tip is on the line. but i'm not an rear end in a top hat, so outside of very fancy restaurants where i really want to talk to someone about the food, i don't see the appeal. i eat out a lot. you could turn 99% of the restaurants i visit into counter service, where i order at the counter and pick up the food myself, and this would not bother me at all, i would keep eating there

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

we both thought of the same thing but thanks for adding to it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DELETE CASCADE posted:

imo "server" is one of the jobs i think we could most do without. i'm told that one of the main reasons for keeping them around is so creepy old dudes have someone to flirt with or abuse, knowing that their tip is on the line. but i'm not an rear end in a top hat, so outside of very fancy restaurants where i really want to talk to someone about the food, i don't see the appeal. i eat out a lot. you could turn 99% of the restaurants i visit into counter service, where i order at the counter and pick up the food myself, and this would not bother me at all, i would keep eating there

this isn't to put sit down restaurant servers out of jobs, its to threaten fast food workers

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

anericans are addicted to rage

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
4 or 5 of those tube delivery things looks dumb but 40 or whatever would be really loving weird

just a huge parking lot with little kiosks i guess

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Enderzero posted:

i don't understand the tube idea. wouldn't you need the food platform on a gimbal or something? you don't want it getting tipped vertically and loving up your food, no?

if you look on the website it's literally just miniature elon musk car tunnels. and the kiosk, idk, cranes it up I guess???

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

this isn't to put sit down restaurant servers out of jobs, its to threaten fast food workers

what fast food worker is being replaced by the tube though? it's a wendy's. everyone is in the kitchen

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the snapchat "my ai" has been teaching danish kids how to self harm :waycool:

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i was just reading yesterday about how everyone hates qr menus and lots of sit down restaurants are getting rid of them because people want to interact with a server as part of the 'dining experience'. i think youre right but i also get it to some degree.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

post hole digger posted:

i was just reading yesterday about how everyone hates qr menus and lots of sit down restaurants are getting rid of them because people want to interact with a server.

like 75% of restaurants around here have qr code menus and people actually like them and sometimes prefer them over placing an order to a human

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the tube is loving dumb and theres no way its cheaper or more reliable than just sending a person out to deliver the order to the car. a better system is probably multiple order terminals and then a drive thru pickup window where you send fast orders and a set of parking spots where you send slow orders and then someone comes out and hands it to you.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

the tube is loving dumb and theres no way its cheaper or more reliable than just sending a person out to deliver the order to the car. a better system is probably multiple order terminals and then a drive thru where you send fast orders and a set of parking spots where you send slow orders and then someone comes out and hands it to you.

id simply drive to wendys itself instead of driving to the wendys district center

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DELETE CASCADE posted:

what fast food worker is being replaced by the tube though? it's a wendy's. everyone is in the kitchen

I can't believe i have to explain this but there are generally 1-3 people working the counters and drive through

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

like 75% of restaurants around here have qr code menus and people actually like them and sometimes prefer them over placing an order to a human

in conclusion, the world is a land of contrasts,

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jonny 290 posted:

I can't believe i have to explain this but there are generally 1-3 people working the counters and drive through

nvrgrls posted:

Do we still have the "no poors" rule in yospos or did that get repealed

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shaggar posted:

the tube is loving dumb and theres no way its cheaper or more reliable than just sending a person out to deliver the order to the car. a better system is probably multiple order terminals and then a drive thru pickup window where you send fast orders and a set of parking spots where you send slow orders and then someone comes out and hands it to you.

bring back the sock hop

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i mean thats litterrally what this is just with a tube that wont work

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

simply put roller skates on the server to make them move more briskly. yospos project: re invent the drive-in diner from first principles.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

post hole digger posted:

simply put roller skates on the server to make them move more briskly. yospos project: re invent the drive-in diner from first principles.

Sonic employees actually get paid more if they work on skates

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I had a grad school roommate who worked for Taco Bell on what was essentially a franchise rescue team. When a franchise location was going to be shut down for health and safety violations his team from corporate would come in, take it over, and operate it until they could hire new management and new employees trained to do things right.

Dude had all kinds of horror stories about health violations he saw. One that always stuck with me was a place that never cleaned their meat tubes. These were caulk gun like things that with each trigger pull would dispense the correct about of ground beef slurry for a taco or burrito from a replaceable canister. But in my head I always imagined the meat tube as a giant pipeline where cows were shoved into one end at the HQ and at the restaurants meat slurry would come out the faucet.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
working on skates with fast food sounds like hell

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Soylent Pudding posted:

I had a grad school roommate who worked for Taco Bell on what was essentially a franchise rescue team. When a franchise location was going to be shut down for health and safety violations his team from corporate would come in, take it over, and operate it until they could hire new management and new employees trained to do things right.

Dude had all kinds of horror stories about health violations he saw. One that always stuck with me was a place that never cleaned their meat tubes. These were caulk gun like things that with each trigger pull would dispense the correct about of ground beef slurry for a taco or burrito from a replaceable canister. But in my head I always imagined the meat tube as a giant pipeline where cows were shoved into one end at the HQ and at the restaurants meat slurry would come out the faucet.

lol "meat tube" :wiggle:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

Jonny 290 posted:

are they gonna close the inside of the restaurant and the drive thru, leaving the tubes as the only option? if anything it'll just be more work for one of those people to troubleshoot the stupid tubes when they break. if wendy's had a person to run food out to your car in the parking lot right now, i could see it, but they don't do that

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

posting on the yospos page

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

its also like how is installing and maintaining that cheaper than hiring someone to walk to the car

this also applies to a lot of computer software

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
sometimes they do have people run food out to you, but i think i've only seen that when they do renovations on the pickup windows

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

oh hey posting on pg 219

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
likewise posting on the yospos page

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

posting on the yospos page

its fitting that its about wendys

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

219 baby

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

also, wendys isnt even the right place for a set up like this. the line at wendys never looks that long. meanwhile in-n-out and chik-fil-a always have cars spilling out onto the street. they need the chicken tube or whatever.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

post hole digger posted:

oh hey posting on pg 219

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

:yosnice:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DELETE CASCADE posted:

are they gonna close the inside of the restaurant and the drive thru, leaving the tubes as the only option? if anything it'll just be more work for one of those people to troubleshoot the stupid tubes when they break. if wendy's had a person to run food out to your car in the parking lot right now, i could see it, but they don't do that

They do have that for when it gets busy, and a burger assembler isn't going to be troubleshooting a pneumatic delivery system. They'll call the district office who will send a contractor billing $130/hr to come fix it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

post hole digger posted:

also, wendys isnt even the right place for a set up like this. the line at wendys never looks that long. meanwhile in-n-out and chik-fil-a always have cars spilling out onto the street. they need the chicken tube or whatever.

the chick fil as near me hire a lot of people to actively take orders outside via tablet, take payment, so it's pretty quick. not very tech bubble but they make a lot of money