Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

q: is a sushi a burrito, or is a burrito a sushi?

it's more like is a burrito a maki/temaki sushi, sushi itself has different preparations and does not necessitate being fish either

i loving LOVE food taxonomy and i have my own theory for it i will talk about at length

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
trick question. there's a size where it transitions from a large sushi to a small burrito with no other change to its form or contents

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
jay mcclelland came up with vectorizing poo poo to specifically avoid linguistic taxonomy arguments 40 years ago and now its the basis of all significant neural language models so lol

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
sushi and burrito are two separate things entirely

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Shame Boy posted:

"sushi burrito"

whoever came up with this idea needs to be re-educated

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Roosevelt posted:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Share Bear posted:

it's more like is a burrito a maki/temaki sushi, sushi itself has different preparations and does not necessitate being fish either

i loving LOVE food taxonomy and i have my own theory for it i will talk about at length

the answer is that they are different things with similar preparation but different ingredients

preparation then ingredients then locale govern everything, coming up with delineations and differences depends on changes to prep and ingredients

by this theory a hot dog (on a bun) is a style of open faced sandwich, not quite a sub but like in between, whereas a hot dog on its own is a kind of bologna/sausage (obv, due to preparation and ingredients)

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i do prefer some automatic ordering system because when i exit my hovel office and walk to a place to get lunch, i am mostly focused on the food part, and i would appreciate if it i did not need to so much concentrate on pronouncing the food words correctly in a language that is not my native one, let alone make small talk

i mean its ok to make small talk too and do some more involved interaction, but i feel like the automation saves time and energy for both counterparties so they can focus on the human touch instead of the formalities of what food and how and payment

i totally agree that the apps mostly suck rear end. there is one waffle burger place that gets it well, but its still bad. i actually prefer when the qr code gets me a pdf, since this seems to be the most ecological and low effort solution on the part of the restaurant

i never order the kind of takeout that is delivered at my place, since everything i want is in walking range anyway and gently caress gig work companies

by the way head to https://www.radiofrance.fr/fip if you want some nice radio with really nice music with minimal talking and no ads whatsoever, thanks to me, the french taxpayer

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

4lokos basilisk posted:

i do prefer some automatic ordering system because when i exit my hovel office and walk to a place to get lunch, i am mostly focused on the food part, and i would appreciate if it i did not need to so much concentrate on pronouncing the food words correctly in a language that is not my native one, let alone make small talk

you can just say "large" when you go to a starbucks, you don't have to play their stupid game

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

you can just say "large" when you go to a starbucks, you don't have to play their stupid game

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Shame Boy posted:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shame Boy posted:

french people don't order larges

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

or rather they do but it's a fraction of the size of american large

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

"sushi burrito" is a trendy thing all of its own now and i refuse to order one

theyre not good. but they've been 'trendy things' since like 2017 so they're probably on their way out

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
https://twitter.com/websiteidi0t/status/1661738922937044992

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

*yelling over a blaring rendition of "flight of the valkyries"*

i love the smell of posting in the morning!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
ars has a story up with the following headline:

quote:

OpenAI CEO raises $115M for crypto company that scans people’s eyeballs

Worldcoin investor insists "Orb" iris scanner is not a "dystopian nightmare."

we here at Build The Torment Nexus, LLC categorically deny that we are building a torment nexus

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
*scans eyeball*

ai: yeah sure whatever i guess that looks like an eyeball. access granted

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band

lol business class flying shitter

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Now you don't need to be follow the Dave Matthew's Band around on tour to get human waste dropped into you from the sky!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

with few exceptions (secret crab base) every place i've eaten at in SF was wildly overrated and overpriced, but also most of my experience was through work dinners, which always have the worst picks possible.

HRD is a fuckin gem though

jonny if you ever come back here I will give you a list of The Good poo poo

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i like burma superstar

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
can the toilet take off with me inside it so I can maximize time efficiency by making GBS threads on the way to my meeting

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
just gonna shove people inside them to trap people into a stinky floating prison

wont even spring for the comfort class

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

haveblue posted:

can the toilet take off with me inside it so I can maximize time efficiency by making GBS threads on the way to my meeting

new meaning to the mile high club am I right

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Roosevelt posted:

I don't know. They are probably in two different clades, but it's a clear case of convergent evolution.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
The repeated attempts by humans to evolve a burrito

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
wanna hack the toilet drones and add some turbulence to its flight profiles

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

fart simpson posted:

there’s 3,000 other customers in there

wow thatsa lotta people

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
*notification sound* send another $10 or I do a barrel roll

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

Sagebrush posted:

I don't know. They are probably in two different clades, but it's a clear case of convergent evolution.

if i order sushi and you bring me beans and cheese wrapped in a tortilla we are going to have a problem

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

haveblue posted:

*notification sound* send another $10 or I do a barrel roll

lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bob dobbs is dead posted:

jay mcclelland came up with vectorizing poo poo to specifically avoid linguistic taxonomy arguments 40 years ago and now its the basis of all significant neural language models so lol

Yeah he's a fuckin idiot tho

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello
behold, the future!

*flying toilet with four failed motors leans into the transamerica building, exploding*

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

lmao

probably fine

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah he's a fuckin idiot tho

his old buddy geoffrey hinton got paid nesting-doll-yacht money by the goog and jay still rides his bike to work so you prolly didnt have to tell him that

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Beeftweeter posted:

probably fine

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

FMguru posted:

ars has a story up with the following headline:

we here at Build The Torment Nexus, LLC categorically deny that we are building a torment nexus

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the youth are unfortunately more like hbag than like sagebrush

they're more annoying, if you can believe it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

lmao

probably fine