Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

So with the viz Manga app splitting, I need to subscribe to a second viz plan if I want access to the older library of titles (like the rumiko Takahashi stuff)?

That is how I understand it, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The new subscription has a bunch of stuff the older one didn't.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Okay, I don't have a problem adding a plan but it's weird my viz subscription turned into a Shonen jump one and I now have to get a viz subscription again.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

the new subscription is very annoying as I could access stuff using a vpn on desktop and now it has to be an app.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

ImpAtom posted:

That is kind of a relief. I was just really taken aback, it felt like something from an entirely different series

I definitely recommend checking out the anime as well at some point. It's got some differences, as mentioned, but I don't mind them (and even prefer some of them). Plus, it's got some pretty good fight choreography, especially when Morgiana's doing stuff:
https://www.sakugabooru.com/data/4ab66d6e97f100b1ac2bb428143829d6.mp4

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

https://twitter.com/anime/status/1658830994298773507?s=46&t=Eph69498B1QxDhhh3gTqIg

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uh, what the gently caress does that mean

E: based on the article it's somewhat less dystopian than it sounds

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Maybe they mean translation? But I can’t imagine it’s any better than Google translate

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Very cute cooldown chapter for Marriagetoxin. I'm putting all my stock into Hamster winning the Gerobowl because at this point any of the previous girls being more than friends feels wrong.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Brought To You By posted:

Very cute cooldown chapter for Marriagetoxin. I'm putting all my stock into Hamster winning the Gerobowl because at this point any of the previous girls being more than friends feels wrong.

Water user hasn’t thrown her hat in the ring yet though

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

Water user hasn’t thrown her hat in the ring yet though

For someone aligned with water, she did not know when to launch her ship.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

For someone aligned with water, she did not know when to launch her ship.

Look she's buying stocks in tsuncoin, you're suppose to wait until they go to the moon so you can cash those deredollars.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
New chapter of Ranger Reject and this arc continues the massive plot revelations. D also continues to not care whose side he's on because he's only on his side.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Look she's buying stocks in tsuncoin, you're suppose to wait until they go to the moon so you can cash those deredollars.
9/10 times Tsuncoin is a sham unless she's main girl. Aqua-woman is playing with risky dice here.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Man, Magi just kind of forgot to give Mor anything to do, huh?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

9/10 times Tsuncoin is a sham unless she's main girl. Aqua-woman is playing with risky dice here.

Asuka managed to get main girl status despite not showing up until well into the series through Tsuncoin. Sure, she eventually lost anyway, but that took decades.

That kind of longshot success makes others think they can do it too.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Sakamoto: Crêpes, for a moment I had hope Akao survived I can’t wait. How is this flashback so good.

Mashle: On the one hand yay, I was wondering where these guys were. On the other hand aww, guess Mash is going back to snakeway. Actually, him going back and getting another workout from god would be hilarious.

Fabricant 100: I mean we all knew an upgraded Fabricant was going to show up, but the Mangaka is once again doing a great job here portraying the differences and realizations. I’m up for 100 backstory! Fabricant 100 is good.

Undead unlock: I don’t really care about Phil.

Edit: Roboco was great.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 21, 2023

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Blue Box: Are we doing this? Are we making this happen?

Cipher Academy: Actually got a color page? I'd heard it wasn't doing well but maybe that's not true.

Elusive Samurai: I really want to know where the gently caress this is going now. Also jesus what a brutal way to kill someone

Kill Blue: bruh

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Alacron posted:

Blue Box: Are we doing this? Are we making this happen?

Cipher Academy: Actually got a color page? I'd heard it wasn't doing well but maybe that's not true.

Elusive Samurai: I really want to know where the gently caress this is going now. Also jesus what a brutal way to kill someone

Kill Blue: bruh
Elusive Samurai: If we're following actual history and it sort of seems like we are now, the MC is eventually caught and beheaded but it takes several years for him to be caught.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
pull up, kill blue

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
don't pull up, keep going.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Also Shibatarian 5 is out - https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1016562

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Fabricated posted:

Elusive Samurai: If we're following actual history and it sort of seems like we are now, the MC is eventually caught and beheaded but it takes several years for him to be caught.

Actual history spoilers He lives another 18 years, he teams up with the Emperor to oppose the Ashikaga Bakufu, and does quite a few things over those years. He helps recapture Kamakura again, but Takauji retakes it again, and his forces capture and kill him after his escape.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I laughed really hard at the last page in this week's Witch Watch. Kill Blue is kind of weird because I'm pretty sure they said the main character is in his 30s so his views are way outdated even for his age.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
They put him at 39 even though I would've guessed older based on appearance/the family photo, though it's funny when this chapter they mention his attitude being from the 50s.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Witch Watch and Roboco both hit higher marks than they've managed for a while. I actually laughed out loud at Witch, which was a pleasant surprise.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

ImpAtom posted:

Man, Magi just kind of forgot to give Mor anything to do, huh?

Yeah it's pretty much the biggest flaw, especially since she's the best early on. My pie in the sky dream is that someday they'll finish the anime with a loose, revised adaptation with more time to breathe and makes better use of some of the characters in the latter parts.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

I laughed really hard at the last page in this week's Witch Watch. Kill Blue is kind of weird because I'm pretty sure they said the main character is in his 30s so his views are way outdated even for his age.

Thank you for the WW heads up. I only occasionally check in on it after I fell off, but this week was perfect. Fantastic last panel.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Witch Watch: look carefully at the first page again after you know the punchline.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sindai posted:

Witch Watch: look carefully at the first page again after you know the punchline.

There's even a line about being out of clean pants!

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

haypliss posted:

They put him at 39 even though I would've guessed older based on appearance/the family photo, though it's funny when this chapter they mention his attitude being from the 50s.

I mean, his backstory is that when he was really a kid, he was already training to be an assassin, so it's very likely that he was training with some sexist assholes and picked up their attitude.

I'm now a little wary of Kill Blue with the way the chapter ended, but I'm gonna give it the benefit of the doubt for now.

Sindai posted:

Fantastic

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

The gently caress is going on in Ranger Reject

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ibblebibble posted:

Humanity used to have legitimate heroes and instead decided to process them into tools to combat a threat they manufactured themselves. Executives are former humans it seems with footsoldiers being up in the air. I suspect that footsoldiers are more of a "pure" experession of whatever magic was used to create invaders as a whole.

D continues to be on the right side of things which is his own side.

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Humanity used to have legitimate heroes and instead decided to process them into tools to combat a threat they manufactured themselves. Executives are former humans it seems with footsoldiers being up in the air. I suspect that footsoldiers are more of a "pure" experession of whatever magic was used to create invaders as a whole.

D continues to be on the right side of things which is his own side.

And it looks a lot like they only processed 5 of the 6 chosen into weapons, with the 6th being Yumeko who looked too young for it at the time. Which starts to shed light on her reasoning for wanting to destroy the Rangers and collect all the divine tools

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Real nice cooldown chapter for MarriageToxin before poo poo starts to get serious again

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

The most surprising thing is how it suddenly became Fallguys for a chapter or two.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

Real nice cooldown chapter for MarriageToxin before poo poo starts to get serious again

I think Gero should end up with Kinosaki.

Kaiju nr8 has fallen on hard times, this fight is pretty boring. And apparently we’re going to see all the commanders overcome their enemy via the power of shounen.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

I think Gero should end up with Kinosaki.

As do all of us

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Kaiju nr8 has fallen on hard times, this fight is pretty boring. And apparently we’re going to see all the commanders overcome their enemy via the power of shounen.
It's not even the fights themselves in my opinion but the characters. Kikoru is unfortunately fairly shallow to the point that even her Kaiju opponent has to have daddy and abandonment issues. The Division 1 captain barely got any characterization or development so they have to shoe-horn in part of his backstory so he can have some kind of emotional thru-line with this matchup. So far the most enjoyable recent fight was the skirmish the Vice Captain and Kaiju 10 had before the boss monsters showed up. The Vice Captain while similarly being a simple character like Kikoru got to bounce his by-the-book and methodical personality off of the chaotic and rampaging Kaiju 10. Which created a genuinely fun dynamic of the serious character cutting loose and entrusting his back to a former enemy.

It's been a consistent issue that the story has weak characters but decent to good spectacle in the art, but the latter cannot compensate for the former all the time.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

As do all of us
Still putting all my stock in Hamster.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

It's not even the fights themselves in my opinion but the characters. Kikoru is unfortunately fairly shallow to the point that even her Kaiju opponent has to have daddy and abandonment issues. The Division 1 captain barely got any characterization or development so they have to shoe-horn in part of his backstory so he can have some kind of emotional thru-line with this matchup. So far the most enjoyable recent fight was the skirmish the Vice Captain and Kaiju 10 had before the boss monsters showed up. The Vice Captain while similarly being a simple character like Kikoru got to bounce his by-the-book and methodical personality off of the chaotic and rampaging Kaiju 10. Which created a genuinely fun dynamic of the serious character cutting loose and entrusting his back to a former enemy.

It's been a consistent issue that the story has weak characters but decent to good spectacle in the art, but the latter cannot compensate for the former all the time.

The abandonment issues I’d argue sort of worked. She’s been striving to equal mom, who “left” and now dad “left” and it’s not like they were around much even when alive due to fighting monsters. Her opponent having the same issues was such a weird thing though. It’s standard yeah, but hey it looked neat doing it.
Meanwhile This fight with the guy with the weird eyes is a big nothing burger. I don’t know him, I don’t care about him and we needed the enemy to explain why he was even strong to begin with. The resolution to the fight was him getting punched through a wall and now the enemy is dead? :shrug: which signaled that he apparently surpassed his teacher that we only just learned he had an issue with.
Even Mashle without Mash was better than this.

And there’s more commanders in trouble.

Monsters still look cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Yeah Kinosaki seems obvious, especially on account of the First Girl rule, but I'm also allowing myself to let my heart be broken by supporting Hamster Girl.