Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Does the B&N sale still give you the 50% off on pre-orders. I need that After Hours blu-ray.

dorium posted:

You know where they can never yank it from?

My mom!

I laughed way too hard at this even though I knew what was coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

On this, the day of the eve of the Vinegar sale, my Taisho Trilogy finally arrives

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/brentalang/status/1661843356115148825?s=46&t=wbUf_u7uOvtvxKOmB6dAHQ

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I hope we get 4K Whole Bloody Affair as well.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

is evil dead 2013 worth watching? it seems like a remake/reimagining of the original, but ii was already kind of that? how the hell does this fit in?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

abelwingnut posted:

is evil dead 2013 worth watching? it seems like a remake/reimagining of the original, but ii was already kind of that? how the hell does this fit in?
It has good practical effects, but didn’t do anything for me otherwise. The only real connection to the other movies is a short post-credits clip of Bruce saying “Groovy”.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sure, Evil Dead 2013 was a decent watch. I wouldn't compare it to the classic movies, but it's a fairly good 2010s era horror romp. It takes place in a cabin but stylistically and tone wise it's a different thing. Although the after credits scene is quite fun there.

Kill Bill: I did get the Japanese DVD of vol 1 to see the color fight scene, I hear the edits in that version of the movie more or less gel with people's accounts of Whole Bloody Affair screenings. It doesn't have the Klingon revenge proverb at the beginning in that version for one thing, it has a tribute to that guy who directed Battle Royale instead. Classy, but not as funny.

Hope there are some cool extras on that 20th Anniversary version too. Ditto for a new Jackie Brown release.

PinkoBastard
Oct 3, 2010

abelwingnut posted:

Not essential by any means but fun and pretty nasty too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

abelwingnut posted:

It’s a total blast. It fits in well. It’s the tone the first film wanted but couldn’t capture due to the budget. People forget how mean and nasty the original is because the effects are cheap.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
It's a good flick great practical effects, massive amounts of gore, and that ending, love it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

VS Halfway to Black Friday sale is live

Already announced:
Showgirls 4K
A Blade in the Dark
The Boogeyman
Villages of the Damned: Three Horrors from Spain (Forest of the Wolf, Beatriz, and The Sky is Falling)

Undefeatable
Night Screams
Boggy Creek 2: And the Legend Continues
Ninja in the Claws of the CIA
Piotr Szulkin's Apocalypse Tetralogy (Golem, War of the Worlds: Next Century, O-bi O-ba: The End of Civilization, and Ga-Ga: Glory to the Heroes)

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

You left out the best thing, you can buy a New York Ninja Shuriken.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

that szulkin tetralogy seems pretty dang insane. that's happening.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Can you add to your existing preorder if all you have preordered is that mystery thing?

edit: I assume not, since that order shows up as fulfilled on my orders list. Have they said what it was yet? If it's another special slipcover I'll feel compelled to buy the movie it goes to.

Gripweed fucked around with this message at 05:42 on May 26, 2023

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Gripweed posted:

Have they said what it was yet?
They said up front not to expect any word until late in the year. I'll just throw money at VS and forget about it until it shows up.

I ended up adding Hot Snake / Guns and Guts to my Showgirls pre-order. I wanna see what kinda Mexican produced Spaghetti Westerns VS are picking.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 26, 2023

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Grabbed the Szulkin tetralogy just based on that VS trailer. Never heard of the guy but the movies look right up my alley. Might go back for a couple more things but probably not too many. Already have Showgirls, A Blade in the Dark and The Boogeyman pre-ordered.

Tesh
Jun 30, 2002

If humans were cookies, I'd be the cookie monster.

I also picked up the Szulkin boxset, never heard of the movies or the director but the trailer was fascinating. Most importantly I snagged Ninja in the Claws of the CIA, if it’s anywhere near as fun as New York Ninja I’ll be thrilled

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Picked up Showgirls as a birthday gift for a friend. She's gonna love it, she loves that movie and the packaging is so cool. :3:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Arrow August announcements:

If you're the US or Canada you get
Unman, Wittering and Zigo
and New Fist of Fury

If you're in the UK you get
Time Bandits 4K
and Four Film Noir Classics vol 3 (Calcutta, Ride the Pink Horse, Outside the Law, and The Female Animal)

If you're anywhere you get
Weird Science 4K
and Last House on the Left 2009 4K

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

has its moments. not great but above par for a 2010s horror remake.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Evil Dead 2013 rules, it's not as good as 1 or 2 but it's not far behind, and it's one of my favorite horror films of the 2010s. If you're expecting the slapstick of ED2 or AoD you'll be disappointed though, it's much closer to the original in terms of nastiness.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Grabbed Miami Connection, Six-String Samurai, Beastmaster, Undefeatable, and Ninja in the Claws of the CIA in hopes it’s at least partially as good as New York Ninja.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I didn't realize they had Miami Connection! I had to get that; it's one of my favorites. The "Add to existing order" option is a lifesaver.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Mr E posted:

Ninja in the Claws of the CIA in hopes it’s at least partially as good as New York Ninja.

drat it, I completely glossed over this one and when I noticed it's from the New York Ninja guy I had to add it to my existing order. My existing order that already had like 13 titles in it :shepspends:

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Picked up Showgirls, the GLOW documentary and a couple of movies I've never seen before but sounded good, The Iceman Cometh and Righting Wrongs.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I didn't realize they had Miami Connection! I had to get that; it's one of my favorites. The "Add to existing order" option is a lifesaver.

I didn’t realize either til today, have wanted to have it for a while along with Undefeatable and Beastmastwr.

Lord Seo
Aug 7, 2011

I should have learned Kung-fu instead of ethics.

Mr E posted:

Grabbed Miami Connection, Six-String Samurai, Beastmaster, Undefeatable, and Ninja in the Claws of the CIA in hopes it’s at least partially as good as New York Ninja.

Ninja in the Claws of the CIA is a bonkers vanity project beyond anything in New York Ninja. John Liu plays himself in the movie, as well as "James Liu": his wheelchair bound brother. At one point he proves his power of self hypnosis by simultaniously getting a blowjob and having a guy beat him with kung fu without losing concentration. There are wild harpoon kills/timeskips, and it has a very tasteless mondo movie style ending. It's a demented movie, just hope you have a very high tolerance for bad writing/dubbing.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lord Seo posted:

Ninja in the Claws of the CIA is a bonkers vanity project beyond anything in New York Ninja. John Liu plays himself in the movie, as well as "James Liu": his wheelchair bound brother. At one point he proves his power of self hypnosis by simultaniously getting a blowjob and having a guy beat him with kung fu without losing concentration. There are wild harpoon kills/timeskips, and it has a very tasteless mondo movie style ending. It's a demented movie, just hope you have a very high tolerance for bad writing/dubbing.

Alright, I definitely don't regret my decision now :stare:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Lord Seo posted:

I have a very high tolerance for bad writing and the rest of that sounds bonkers so I’m glad I bought it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
VS delivers as usual

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MacheteZombie posted:

VS delivers as usual

:hai:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MacheteZombie posted:

VS delivers as usual, two months after the sale

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Ordered Showgirls the day it was announced, looks like an excellent package. I was really hoping it would get You Don’t Nomi as a special feature like the European 4K did but I’m super stoked for the new bonus features anyway.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Even with the sale, I think I'm gonna hold off on Boogeyman even though I've been waiting for that release since forever. The slipcover is not worth the extra $. I did pull the trigger on Hell Comes To Frogtown, Bio-Zombie, Drop Dead Fred, and a few others.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Chris James 2 posted:

Arrow August announcements:

If you're the US or Canada you get
Unman, Wittering and Zigo
and New Fist of Fury

If you're in the UK you get
Time Bandits 4K
and Four Film Noir Classics vol 3 (Calcutta, Ride the Pink Horse, Outside the Law, and The Female Animal)

If you're anywhere you get
Weird Science 4K
and Last House on the Left 2009 4K

New Fist of Fury is an early Jackie Chan and the official sequel to the first film, by the same director. It's OK, repeats basically the same plot beats and imagery, but otherwise is a step down, and isn't really what you'd want from Jackie

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
I've never seen the standard editions go to having under 1000 left so fast before the more expensive slip cover editions during a Vinegar Syndrome sale before. The economy really is hosed.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
feeling like an idiot for putting in a VS order a couple weeks ago... I could have saved on shipping. Ah well.

Go get stuff, folks! I'm trying to have more overly fancy packaged shlock!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was thinking the same thing until I realized the two things I bought a couple of weeks ago (WNUF and the Primetime Panic boxset) are both already sold out.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I grabbed The little Hours, The Other "French" New Wave, I Do Not Care If We Go Down In History As Barbarians, Tremble All You Want, Norway, and The Bees.

That should keep me until the Criterion sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

One more for the road - had to get New York Ninja before the standard edition sold out. Looking around, I'm glad my partner bought their copy of Psycho Cop Returns when they did. It's sold out now, and my life has been enriched by having seen it.

Stopping myself for now before I end up with a whole bunch of other stuff. This is a rabbit hole I do not have the shelf space for.