Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
it's a good "test case" yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
gdi

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

weirdly feels kind of reasonable to sue over this, despite the not very reasonable sequence of events leading there.
Does literally every product in the world have to be labelled with whether it contains metal that might not be immediately obvious just because someone might randomly try to take it to an MRI scan?

I kind of feel like if you're going for an MRI scan the impetus is on you and the hospital to check for that kind of thing

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

mystes posted:

Does literally every product in the world have to be labelled with whether it contains metal that might not be immediately obvious just because someone might randomly try to take it to an MRI scan?

I kind of feel like if you're going for an MRI scan the impetus is on you and the hospital to check for that kind of thing
iirc the test is whether a reasonable person in that position would have known there was a hazard (i.e. metal core) based on the trade dress and claims made, and the otherwise patently observable physical characteristics of the product

does it weigh more than one would expect? probably? i also know from experience with kitchenware (failing!) that most silicone implements of a certain size have some amount of metal/wire in them somewhere for structure

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

why would you wear your sex toy to a doctor's appointment
anal bum cover

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

my conviction is not very deep, but it actually doesn't seem that excessive to have most kinds of products materials exhaustively listed, and at minimum seems dubious to label products 100% x if they are to a significant degree not made of x.

my sympathy is absolutely not very deep for this person, but i can again see how they'd feel wrong done by.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

iirc the test is whether a reasonable person in that position would have known there was a hazard (i.e. metal core) based on the trade dress and claims made, and the otherwise patently observable physical characteristics of the product

does it weigh more than one would expect? probably? i also know from experience with kitchenware (failing!) that most silicone implements of a certain size have some amount of metal/wire in them somewhere for structure
I don't see why a metal core is a "hazard" at all if it only becomes dangerous in a weird situation like an MRI and it's not intended to be used in an MRI

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

my conviction is not very deep, but it actually doesn't seem that excessive to have most kinds of products materials exhaustively listed, and at minimum seems dubious to label products 100% x if they are to a significant degree not made of x.

my sympathy is absolutely not very deep for this person, but i can again see how they'd feel wrong done by.
Maybe materials should be labelled for all products for other reasons but that seems completely separate from this case

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
a metal core in a butt plug is super weird actually. most dildos and butt plugs usually don’t have them and I don’t think I’ve ever seen one that does

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

my understanding of butt plugs is that wearing them discreetly out in public is part of the appeal of owning one at all. someone who makes them would probably know that use case, but probably wouldn't know mri screening procedure

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

my understanding of butt plugs is that wearing them discreetly out in public is part of the appeal of owning one at all. someone who makes them would probably know that use case, but probably wouldn't know mri screening procedure
lots of products are designed to be worn in public. Do they all need to have labeling to indicate whether they are safe to wear in an MRI or in a zero gravity situation or in parallel universes?

It just seems like when someone occasionally does an mri the person taking the mri and the hospital need to check to make sure that they don't have any dangerous objects on their person and I don't understand why random companies should be liable for not marking random products for whether they are safe for MRIs

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

mystes posted:

I don't see why a metal core is a "hazard" at all if it only becomes dangerous in a weird situation like an MRI and it's not intended to be used in an MRI
it's a "hazard" subjectively in this scenario where we're trying to figure out reasonable use for liability purposes, not in the general sense of a hazard. like, things that are choking hazards are usually not otherwise hazardous, if you get my drift. sorry for the legalese either way

your instinct is of course what makes this a good test case

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mystes posted:

Maybe materials should be labelled for all products for other reasons but that seems completely separate from this case

to me this is pure fun thought experiment driven by a funny (though of course tragic) real event, if we're taking serious basis for legislation we're going to pass i not only don't think this case relevant, but there's probably other more important laws to pass yeah.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
they are going to blanket ban butt plugs in mri machines and that's just going to hurt people that do proper butt plug due diligence and test ferromagnetism themselves

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Don't they put people through a metal detector or something before MRIs? It seems like accidentally bringing in metallic objects would be a huge danger in general

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

mystes posted:

lots of products are designed to be worn in public. Do they all need to have labeling to indicate whether they are safe to wear in an MRI or in a zero gravity situation or in parallel universes?
i wasn't really suggesting it needed labelling, the question for me is more whether the MRI tech, in a position to have specialized procedural knowledge, should have been expected to screen for these things. versus the maker (who arguably has specialized knowledge of their construction) should have been expected to disclaim against bizarre edge cases for which they have no specialized procedural knowledge

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

mystes posted:

Don't they put people through a metal detector or something before MRIs? It seems like accidentally bringing in metallic objects would be a huge danger in general
yeah, like i figure an orthodontist doesn't need to tell someone they give braces to not to get an mri. the mri tech would be expected to notice or ask that kind of question, or otherwise use a detector as a failsafe

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yeah I don't know about legally but I would sure as gently caress hope the MRI tech would screen all objects for metals

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

mystes posted:

https://mriquestions.com/metal-detectors.html

quote:

FMDS are designed primarily to detect ferromagnetic objects outside the patient and do so with very high sensitivity and specificity. They may also be used to detect internal ferromagnetic objects, though their reliability in this regard is still under investigation.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

mystes posted:

I don't understand why random companies should be liable for not marking random products for whether they are safe for MRIs
if there was no trade dress/claim of "100% silicone" (as it appears there is) then this case against a manufacturer wouldn't have a leg to stand on imo

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

sex reasons

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

if there was no trade dress/claim of "100% silicone" (as it appears there is) then this case against a manufacturer wouldn't have a leg to stand on imo
oh huh that does make it more interesting

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sagebrush posted:

Practical joke on your mri tech friend.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Kenny Logins posted:

yeah that's my take, it's whatever if the metal core was declared on the packaging and the customer didn't notice/pay attention to it, but it's different if it claimed to be completely silicone

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

new orgiasmomon squart guy just dropped

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Kenny Logins posted:

yeah, like i figure an orthodontist doesn't need to tell someone they give braces to not to get an mri. the mri tech would be expected to notice or ask that kind of question, or otherwise use a detector as a failsafe

I have wires permanently bonded to my teeth and I got an MRI just fine :shrug:

Sagebrush posted:

keep the farts in obviously

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME

You’re not meant to involve other people in your sex reasons without their consent and an mri is specifically to look inside you.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

yeah that's my take, it's whatever if the metal core was declared on the packaging and the customer didn't notice/pay attention to it, but it's different if it claimed to be completely silicone
the other thing is that (at least in canada) medical malpractice claims are way more expensive to litigate and difficult to win that product liability when it comes to fitness for use of goods sold

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

yeah, they're titanium which is mostly fine for mri i think?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i think the person wearing the butt plug to an mri scan is weird, creepy, and deserves mockery. but that's beside the point that, like, their sex toy shouldn't say "100% silicone" if it's not 100% silicone.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

1) that's great
2) were you told it was going to be just fine beforehand?

i assume the wires used are not ferromagnetic or w/e for probably just such a reason (also airport security lol)

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

BooLoo posted:

You’re not meant to involve other people in your sex reasons without their consent and an mri is specifically to look inside you.

not disagreeing but maybe it was a leg mri or something?

or are you saying when i got my knee mri in 2006 they also got a good look at my bits and bobs?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Kenny Logins posted:

1) that's great
2) were you told it was going to be just fine beforehand?

i assume the wires used are not ferromagnetic or w/e for probably just such a reason (also airport security lol)

probably cause they dont want em to rust

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Achmed Jones posted:

i think the person wearing the butt plug to an mri scan is weird, creepy, and deserves mockery. but that's beside the point that, like, their sex toy shouldn't say "100% silicone" if it's not 100% silicone.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

rotor posted:

probably cause they dont want em to rust
oh yeah. duh! i had braces before the practice for retainers became to put wires behind your teeth forever so never thought much about it. i had a hard plastic thing that just made my teeth hurt every night until i gave up on it

SuperDepressing
Feb 19, 2011

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

mystes posted:

when i’ve gotten an mri i had to stand next to a metal detector before they’d let me in. i always figured that was standard procedure for all mri clinics but maybe not?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the mri will now be used as a metal detector. it's ok because the savings are passed on to you! freedom to choose

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
just make everyone walk backwards into the mri room so if they have a metal butt plug it's pulled out rather than in