Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Sockser posted:

Did a tank clean on wednesday night. Counted 7 shrimp, minimum.

Went away for the weekend, came back, didn't see any shrimp. Not even my cool ghost buds that like to hang out.

Did some digging, located two remaining orange neos, possibility of a blue one hiding real good in the black gravel, but also found just the head of a third neo.

Assuming my tetras got hungry while I was gone. Welp.

Sorry to hear it, but at least you can take solace in keeping your tetras well fed.

If you want to hang on to the rest of them, cherry shrimp have a tiny bio load. With the number you have, you can set up a nano aquarium with some java moss and maybe a small sponge filter and they should be happy.

One note for future for future shrimp keeping attempts - people usually don't keep differnt colors of the same species in the same tank. When they crossbreed (and they will) the offspring tends to revert to the brown color they are in the wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I have also had trouble with shrimp. A bit new to this, set up my first tank a few months ago.

I fishless-cycled a 40 gallon breeder, planted it, added driftwood, and stocked it with 12 Panda Corydoras and a pregnant Red Wagtail Platy. The Platy delivered about 30-50 fry, and I moved her to another tank to protect the fry. I added a handful of live plants, and the cycle seems very healthy.

It was at 0/0/20ppm NH4/NO2/NO3 for a few weeks, now stable at 0/0/0, pH 7.2, GH 3dH, KH 1-2dH.

After a few weeks I added 6 blue velvet shrimp, then collected one dead shrimp about every two days for 12 days :(. The Corys and the Platy fry are all fine.

My guess is the KH is low? But I don’t want to upset other parameters by adjusting my KH because my other animals seem very happy and the pH is real good.

Anyway here’s some pics of Platy fry:

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

RadioPassive posted:

I have also had trouble with shrimp. A bit new to this, set up my first tank a few months ago.

I fishless-cycled a 40 gallon breeder, planted it, added driftwood, and stocked it with 12 Panda Corydoras and a pregnant Red Wagtail Platy. The Platy delivered about 30-50 fry, and I moved her to another tank to protect the fry. I added a handful of live plants, and the cycle seems very healthy.

It was at 0/0/20ppm NH4/NO2/NO3 for a few weeks, now stable at 0/0/0, pH 7.2, GH 3dH, KH 1-2dH.

After a few weeks I added 6 blue velvet shrimp, then collected one dead shrimp about every two days for 12 days :(. The Corys and the Platy fry are all fine.

My guess is the KH is low? But I don’t want to upset other parameters by adjusting my KH because my other animals seem very happy and the pH is real good.

Anyway here’s some pics of Platy fry:

The water hardness isn't optimal, but Neocaridina can tolerate a really wide range of hardness.

However, they're pretty prone to getting stressed when water conditions chage too quickly, like when being moved to a new tank. If they got moved from harder fish store water into your very soft water very quickly, that could have been enough of a shock to cause what you saw.

If you want to try again, you can do a couple hours of drip acclimation before you introduce them, if you didn't before. You might might also want to try some Caridinas. I've never kept them, but they're supposed to really love soft water.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Neos can overall survive in toilet water, as long as there's no copper or chlorine in it. That's it inverts are very sensitive to any kind of water changes in quality and temperature in the like.

Speaking of, my sex happy male urchin, who regularly releases clouds of urchin batter almost every water change, has lost three spikes in the past week. I'm wondering if I have a nitrate Spike somewhere, I know I need to replace one of the sponge filters because the urchins have literally chewed it in half.

edit: i seem to spend a lot of time yelling at my marine tank. the urchins for eating my sponge filters, and just now, when i gave them some nori, the serpent stars came out and started ripping the pieces from them.

YOU ARE STARFISH YOU DON'T EAT SEAWEED gently caress.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 00:50 on May 16, 2023

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

So this cloudiness is to be expected and not something to worry about? I've done one water change since getting the majority of the fish, going to do another one this weekend at about the 2-week point from the last one.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I'd pre-ordered a 15w uv light pond pump thing which is probably roughly correctly sized for the pond. I'm on day 4 with the pump and I can occasionally see the bottom of the pond already

Apparently it takes about 10 days to see a significant effect on algae and closer to two weeks to see excellent water clarity.

Gonna do about a 30% water change to give the "pond" a little breathing room as the temp came way up and it's definitely still cycling even though I dumped two different bottles of "instant cycle" in there and I'm still periodically dosing with 1-2ml of ammo(nia) lock, probably wouldn't hurt it

Day 8 and two 30% water changes, not seeing much if any improvement, presumably my water lettuce and water hyacynth are out of "shock" mode and processing nutrients properly finally. Water hyacynth put out 1.5 new leaves since yesterday and the water lettuce has 2 going on 3 new leaves since last weekend. i have more water hyacynth on order even though I know they'll rapidly multiply, but I need additional shade now

Moved the water lilly to the top of the box in the water, where they are getting probably 80% more light than before, it has sprouted about 5 leaves already; another water lilly arrived yesterday, wedged it under a rock on the box too, hopefully it sprouts some stuff and becomes a heavy feeder as well. Moved my elodea off the "pond" floor and also on to the box where it's not completely obscured by the algae. Hoping moving all these plants into the top of the water column will allow them to feed more heavily, can put them on the bottom again after the water clears more.

a Very Healthy Water Lotus arrived yesterday, it's sitting in some water gonna plant it properly later this week in another planter without a pump

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

After that last post I remembered I hadn't cleaned the sponge filters since I put them in; pulled them out they were coated in a seemingly impenetrable mucus slime coating of dark green :barf:

Blew out all the slime using the hose and gave it a couple of squeezes put it back in. Checked in on it last night, there was a clear ~3-4mm line of green goop on the sponge where it had already sucked up quite a bit of green algae. This morning went and cleaned it again it was fully saturated already. I guess I'll just keep cleaning it every 6 hours or so until most of the goop is sucked through the filter and then do a water change on monday or something. Don't want to shock the fish too hard with additional water changes.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Moon Slayer posted:

So this cloudiness is to be expected and not something to worry about? I've done one water change since getting the majority of the fish, going to do another one this weekend at about the 2-week point from the last one.

That's probably fine, yeah you're due for a water change. The java fern should be established and sucking up nutrients now. From your post history you've only had fish in the tank for two weeks, so even though the tank has cycled, it's only been cycling with fish for ~2 weeks now. If the water still looks like that after ~4 more 25% water changes in ~8 weeks that would be cause for looking for unseen problems

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Hadlock posted:

After that last post I remembered I hadn't cleaned the sponge filters since I put them in; pulled them out they were coated in a seemingly impenetrable mucus slime coating of dark green :barf:

Blew out all the slime using the hose and gave it a couple of squeezes put it back in. Checked in on it last night, there was a clear ~3-4mm line of green goop on the sponge where it had already sucked up quite a bit of green algae. This morning went and cleaned it again it was fully saturated already. I guess I'll just keep cleaning it every 6 hours or so until most of the goop is sucked through the filter and then do a water change on monday or something. Don't want to shock the fish too hard with additional water changes.

Might be cyanobacteria, keep an eye out for any other nasty oxygen sucking growth.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'll keep an eye on it, I had a mat of what looked like cyanobacteria in the old pond and both the fish and several of the plants came across so it's likely there's some contamination. So far it's looking like standard pond sludge and planktonic algae

Pulled the sponge filters again just now, it's still sucking an incredible amount of crap out of the water still. Yesterday there were clouds of what I can only describe as billowing mustard gas shooting out of my uv light filter thing. Today there's still crap in the water column but the clouds of algae are all but gone. I think the filters were just absolutely saturated

Significant improvement:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I've currently got a 5 gallon tank with a Betta but I'd like to get him more room. He is my first fish and the aquarium I'm using came with a built in filter and light so set up was a breeze. I'd like to upgrade him to a 10 gallon tank and then make my 5 gallon tank a shrimp tank. An issue I'm running into is that I don't know if I should get another tank that comes with everything or buy the parts individually.

I'm looking at this tank as it comes with everything the fish needs. However I don't know if these all in one tanks are crappy or not and I'd rather have a good home for my fish than one easy for me to assemble.

One thing I'm worried about is my aquarium stand is 20x10 inches and this tank is 20.25x10.5 inches. That's barely any overhang but we're talking about a glass structure full of 80+ pounds of water here.

I'm interested in hearing y'all's thoughts on this, as well as what 10 gallon tanks (and heaters, lights, and filters as appropriate) would be better suited for this if that tank I linked isn't good enough.

I plan to do the tank switch after I move so I would also appreciate any advice on moving with an aquarium. I might be able to get the new tank set up before the move date which would simplify things on the day of the move.

Edit: I am an apartment dweller currently and can't have 15 gallon or larger tanks at my new place so 10 is about as large a tank as I can get.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

TTBF posted:

Edit: I am an apartment dweller currently and can't have 15 gallon or larger tanks at my new place so 10 is about as large a tank as I can get.

I would get the 20 gallon and if(!) they challenge you on that, explain it's only filled 3/4 the way up

Absurdist restrictions like that only come into effect if you're the one guy in the complex who likes playing death metal at 4am in the morning

This isn't legal advice if you get evicted for having 5 too many gallons I'm not taking responsibility

I can see a situation where they do an inspection and you've got three 70 gallon tanks or something and they flag you, but that's about it

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

TTBF posted:

I had a similar experience until I politely explained that a tanksplosion is a massive cleanup effort, I proved this by dumping a single gallon bucket in the carpark to demonstrate the amount of mess it made and then my lease suddenly didn't mention tank size at all

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
A non aquarium person won't be able to visually identify volume.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

A non aquarium person won't be able to visually identify volume.

Truth. I think most people's reference for a gallon is a gallon of milk.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Alright, I'll consider a 20 gallon although that balloons my budget because I'd need to buy more decorations, plants, and a stand for it. However even if I do that I still need to figure out if a starter kit aquarium is good enough or if I should get a tank, filter, lights, etc all on their own and assemble it. I also wouldn't be able to afford it until payday which is right around when I move so I'd be moving the 5 gallon tank with the betta still in it and I'm not sure the proper way to move a fish/aquarium setup.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 20, 2023

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
A 10 gallon is perfectly fine for a betta and some bottom-mid level fish or shrimp. yes a 20 gives you more room, but seriously if you keep it simple, a 10 gallon can be loving awesome too.

Plus it will eliminate some money stress and that is always a rare thing in this hobby.

edit: check your local area for any aquarium clubs for cheap or maybe free supplies.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

TTBF posted:

Alright, I'll consider a 20 gallon although that balloons my budget because I'd need to buy more decorations, plants, and a stand for it. However even if I do that I still need to figure out if a starter kit aquarium is good enough or if I should get a tank, filter, lights, etc all on their own and assemble it. I also wouldn't be able to afford it until payday which is right around when I move so I'd be moving the 5 gallon tank with the betta still in it and I'm not sure the proper way to move a fish/aquarium setup.

Nothing wrong with open space in a tank. I'm upgrading my 10g to 20g mostly to give more space for easier cleaning plus adding more buffer for maintaining water quality.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

According to YouTube the correct way to move a fish in town is go get a clean 5 gallon bucket, fill it part way with clean tap water, add dechlorinator, add fish, then drain tank 95% and move both

20 gallon for the fish will be good because it'll dramatically stabilize water chemistry

Pond clarity improving dramatically by simply squeezing out the sponge filters every 6-12 hours

Not only can I clearly see the bottom now, but objects underwater appear to be other colors besides green now

Six snails, three mystery and three decorative nerrite snails arrived, and Canton Aquatics accidentally double shipped me parrot feather and java moss since the last photo

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 20, 2023

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Hadlock posted:

According to YouTube the correct way to move a fish in town is go get a clean 5 gallon bucket, fill it part way with clean tap water, add dechlorinator, add fish, then drain tank 95% and move both

20 gallon for the fish will be good because it'll dramatically stabilize water chemistry

Thank you for the moving advice, I'll grab a 5 gallon bucket with a lid from a Lowe's or something.

A neighbor recently upgraded to a 20 gallon from a 10 and is willing to just give me his old tank stand. He doesn't have the old tank anymore but he asked around for me (really nice guy) and found me a good deal on a 10 gallon kit from a local store with excess stock. I'll be going with that for now. I might get a 20 gallon eventually but that'll be down the line.

I figure I'll get a few corys and a snail or two as a clean up crew for the 10 gallon. Corys get along with Bettas because they're not swimming at the same planes iirc - please correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: vvvvvv yeah I'm gonna fill the bucket with the tank water for the fish

TTBF fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 21, 2023

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Putting the fish in fresh water vs tank water seems off.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

As it was explained to me is that when you add the fish and new water to the tank again, you end up with mostly clean water, and as long as the filter media stays wet the tank will remain cycled. Otherwise you're just shipping and recycling dirty water. That's what YouTube says anyways.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Sure, and you're also shocking the fish with water that has a different chemistry than the tank they came out of.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Always move fish with the water they have been swimming in and adjusted to unless it is super high in nitrates or something. Maybe you're talking to someone that "rescues" fish all the time and expects the tank water to be toxic?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

It's sure to be a stressful situation for them in any case. maybe some music made just for fish would help them chill?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Wandering Orange posted:

Always move fish with the water they have been swimming in and adjusted to unless it is super high in nitrates or something. Maybe you're talking to someone that "rescues" fish all the time and expects the tank water to be toxic?

That's the only way this makes sense to me at all.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I feel like the “use all tap water” advice is fine for places where the water is medium to hard and bad for where tap water is soft, unless the fish are soft water fish rigorously kept in soft water. There’s so much “I did this and it was fine” advice out there that fails to consider that circumstances are different around the world and sets people up for failure. I think the best approach is to try to maintain as much stability as you can, within reason, which means transport in tank water, take tank water with you if you can (for a small tank this isn’t too arduous) such that you’re doing about a 50% water change with old/new water at the destination. Or have the tools to measure the water at both ends of the trip and adjust it to match what the fish are expecting.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sponge filter polishing regimen yielding good results still

Sponges have about half the goop on them from two days ago, probably could have gone another two days before they needed cleaning

Goldfish have started to chill out and are coming to the surface to eat

Looks like in addition to the golden topminnows, I got another fish that looks very similar, but is super territorial and chases off any fish that attempt to loiter in the open area on the left too long. He's more steel blue/gray, looks like a plains and/or zebra killifish but has way different behavior from the other killies

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
One of my barbs I think has dropsy. We noticed a few days ago she was starting to swell up and I think is to the point fins are sticking out. I quarantined her two days ago and have added salt and some Maracyn Oxy (maybe not the most appropriate but it's what I had on hand). She seems to swim ok and I think is eating a bit. I read dropsy is more or less a sure death, so I'm kind of waiting for her to suddenly die, but if she doesn't, not sure how long it might take to see signs of improvement.

Edit: By "swim ok" I should clarify that she can move when she wants to (took a while to net her), but clearly labors to stay in place and is constantly moving her fins.

I've also tested the water parameters repeatedly since we quarantined and they seem unchanged/totally fine, so I'm not sure what caused it. I think one of the barbs tends to chase the others, so maybe stress from that?

z0331 fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 24, 2023

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I think my snail is broken.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Collected a fish egg about... 10 days ago? I've been busy the last 2-3 days but apparently in that time it sprouted eyes. I think this puts it at around day 7 or 8 which tracks about when I found it

I bought some daphnia (basically sand fleas) on eBay and then followed some bad advice about feeding them milk (because I'm out of yeast) and promptly killed them all, so don't do that

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Just got a rabbit snail.
He's a dope and I love him and he's absolutely adorable.

... but I think my mystery snail is trying to gently caress him, so that's uhhhhhhh cool.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Thoughts on this algae on my driftwood? I’ve got a mystery snail and nerite snail but they aren’t touching it…

Also don’t have a clue what those white dots are…those popped up about a few weeks ago.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Brown algae is traditionally diatoms, like what's on your rock. That fluffy bit I'm not sure about

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah haha, not worried about diatoms.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

the white dots are nerite eggs

Good luck getting them off your driftwood (you won't)

They won't hatch, they're just a permanent fixture of your tank now. Condolences on having a female nerite. I had one and yeeted her outside as soon as she started blasting eggs everywhere.

fluffy algae is probably blackbeard algae, I'd wager.
Attempting to clean it off will just spread it to the rest of your tank. BBA started getting out of control in my tank so I boiled all my driftwood and it's been all clear for several weeks now

Sockser fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 28, 2023

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sockser posted:

the white dots are nerite eggs

Good luck getting them off your driftwood (you won't)

They won't hatch, they're just a permanent fixture of your tank now. Condolences on having a female nerite. I had one and yeeted her outside as soon as she started blasting eggs everywhere.

fluffy algae is probably blackbeard algae, I'd wager.
Attempting to clean it off will just spread it to the rest of your tank. BBA started getting out of control in my tank so I boiled all my driftwood and it's been all clear for several weeks now

Thanks! So boiling that wood should get rid of the BBA-will it kills the eggs? Nerite snail is going bye bye tomorrow if that’s the case.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

You don't need to worry about baby snails.
The eggs won't hatch in fresh water.
They're just an eyesore.

Unsure if boiling will actually do anything to the eggs but it should at least heeeeelp with the BBA, assuming that's what it is.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Ha! I have snails that grow blackbeard algae on their shells. I choose to embrace it.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 07:45 on May 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

My sister is at it again, her 15g tropical tank with its tetra and Cory inhabitants is no longer entertaining enough for her kids, they’ve browbeaten her into the idea of getting “a couple of goldfish” instead. I straight away told her the tank isn’t big enough and she said “Actually, I can fit two” so no idea where she’s getting her info from but it isn’t anywhere I would trust. Her tank is well planted and under stocked right now so she can get away with going a couple of months without a water change, I told her she will absolutely need to water change more often with goldfish but her eyes had glazed over already and I don’t think she was listening. Just realising now her filter isn’t going to be big enough either! And she doesn’t have room where her tank is to add a canister filter. She’s still in the mindset of “it’s just two fish” without the realisation that gold fish are not the same as pristella tetras. She’s going to give her existing fish to me at least, instead of flushing them.