Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: MokBa)

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Steve Yun posted:

Across all the games was it one guy or were they several boys who looked exactly the same and had the same name

I mean, as Just Andi Now said, Four Swords Adventures is a different Ganondorf like TotK Gman probably is. Probably the same logic on why all Zeldas and Links look almost the same save for some exceptions like ALttP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Captain Hygiene posted:

Beat the lightning temple, it was a good time overall. I thought it was nice to be running around in what felt like a more traditional dungeon area, and the puzzle theme was fun.

But yeah, the Gerudo sage power is kind of frustrating in practice, (a) it just feels slow as heck to recharge and then expand to where you need to use it, and (b) like someone mentioned yesterday it's weird to give a melee character a range-focused power. It's very frustrating when they're constantly running away from you to do nearly zero melee damage against gibdos, while you're trying to catch up and talk to them to trigger the elemental power that actually hurts the monsters!

In concept the idea of all the Sages being able to join you in combat and fight the enemies is really cool, but in practice it makes things kind of a clusterfuck and also their pathfinding really is not that great and sticks out like a sore thumb when you need to run up to them to use their abilities. The only sage spared this is Wind because he has marginal utility in combat so you don't need to chase him down mid-fight, and he automatically glues himself to Link when you're a on the glider.

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey
I think I reached my limit in dragon farming, but I’m mostly satisfied with the results. I’ve got level 4 Hylian leathers, deity trousers and mask for a defense rating of 72 with a moderate attack boost.

It kind of sucks I can’t dye any of them to make them match better though. And expressionless Link looks like he straight up doesn’t give a poo poo about anything that’s transpiring in the cutscenes now.

Now to finally move on to that second dungeon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sydin posted:

In concept the idea of all the Sages being able to join you in combat and fight the enemies is really cool, but in practice it makes things kind of a clusterfuck and also their pathfinding really is not that great and sticks out like a sore thumb when you need to run up to them to use their abilities. The only sage spared this is Wind because he has marginal utility in combat so you don't need to chase him down mid-fight, and he automatically glues himself to Link when you're a on the glider.

If you whistle they will teleport over to you btw

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Kin posted:

I dupe because I'm pushing 40, have 2 kids and a full time job.

I'd rather not go through a lengthy process just to make a number marginally go up any more because I don't have the time to do that.

I get that weapon durability is a design choice and it makes the game what it is, but just give us aging gamers an accessibility option or something to cut out any gridy gameplay bits.

That being said, I'm betting if those started appearing in games, a large percentage of players would turn it on. I don't think anybody likes a grind.

I have limited time too. I just don't think there's much point aiming to make number go up by any method. It's (IMHO) more fun to just engage with the game's challenges and reward loops, do the side quests you wanna do, etc. I'm not saying grind instead, I'm saying you can pretty play the game without any grind whatsoever, doing the non-repeated content is enough to get you a bunch of resources and keep you where the devs want you to be.

What duping undermines is not grinding, it's the actual content in the game. It means sidequests stop giving you rewards any more. Getting 20 rupees from Addison is a small thing, but it's a bit of reinforcement that lets you keep doing it, and then you might enjoy doing it too. It also pushes you away from the point on the challenge curve you are intended to be, making it less fun.

Trying to solve puzzles efficiently is where the game is fun for me, not just the mere act of "having the best gear". The game is pretty easy anyway. The final boss was doing single-heart damage to me, and that's *without* fully maxed armour. And I only broke 1 weapon on him.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 27, 2023

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Supremezero posted:

I actually found a magic staff with a star fragment already stuck onto it. For the record, it appears to fling light balls. They don't appear to do any damage. Just... ranged lighting.

The intended purpose of magic staves is stapling a ruby, sapphire, or topaz onto them and getting wizrobe weapons.

They also work with opals! They'll shoot bouncy water balls.

Staves/wands seem really weak in this game though. They have rock bottom damage in exchange for letting you throw out elements on demand, but in a game where you already have an inventory full of fire/ice/shock fruits the trade-off just doesn't make sense. And then elemental monster parts start showing up and blow them out of the water too.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I came up with my greatest ultrahand creation today: a lean-to made of spare zonai carts so I can sleep out this drat days-long thunderstorm without leaving the area :arghfist::mad:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's a weird one. I beat the dang thing, and I still don't have a feel for its intended layout. I got to the first two switches on minecarts without much trouble, and was totally confused after that so the rest of the temple was just a pure mishmash of flying and climbing, and building towers so I could ascend through ceilings. No idea what you're "supposed" to do.

I would get through a section and then glide back down to do it right because I like puzzles. It's honestly pretty simple, just a lot of riding a fan railcar back and forth to flip some whatever and advance to the next set of tracks.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Zelda timeline discussions are so strange to me because this is a series with endless alternate dimensions/worlds/realms/whatever, including some with variants of the main cast. Why wouldn't BotW/TotK just be another one of those?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Zelda timeline discussions are so strange to me because this is a series with endless alternate dimensions/worlds/realms/whatever, including some with variants of the main cast. Why wouldn't BotW/TotK just be another one of those?

their brains are wrong

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think one of the devs said a thing about BotW being a sequel to Ocarina of Time at some point. I guess plans change.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I always saw it more like “this is a legend being told many different times, and it was so long ago that the details have been mostly forgotten and filled in and forgotten again, so there are many different versions.”

So like, Maybe OoT is the Geoffrey of Monmouth version of Zelda. And ALTTP is the Malory, and Breath of the Wild is the Tennyson version.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 28, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Because if you care to connect the games, they aren't alternate dimensions/world's/realms/whatever lol. They fit in a timeline together in a world that goes through a lot of changes and cycles of similar events and people with similar fates and destinies.

They published a branching timeline, it's definitely something they are enjoying playing with too.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fangz posted:

I think one of the devs said a thing about BotW being a sequel to Ocarina of Time at some point. I guess plans change.

The majority of Zelda games are sequels to Ocarina of Time, that's not saying much.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Wildtortilla posted:

I still haven’t found any giant fairies. While exploring I found Kakariko Village and was excited to go check in with my old fairy friend above town. I was bummed to find a giant black pit where she used to be. The hunt continues.

A hint if you want it: Check the taverns.

Valsu posted:

Yea, that is pretty much how I feel about it, too. I got super annoyed with riding the carts, then having the cart off the track and flipping it around to ride it back. I gave up on it around the same time you did and resorted to shenanigans to get around.

IIRC there's switches that will auto-flip around your minecarts.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

I blame Wind Waker directly referencing OOT

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
Considering that the order of LA and Oracles got flipped at some point and supposedly there's discrepancies between languages on whether or not they're even about the same Link, I feel like fans can and should play just as loose with the timeline and do whatever they think makes for cooler stories

For instance, I refuse to accept that Ages comes after Seasons because it means Ambi and the pirate captain never reunite :colbert:

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Nintendo was dumb to even try putting all the games on one timeline, they had the perfect storytelling device in "it's a legend being retold by different people in different times and places"

Even when one game references another one, that's just the storyteller deciding to include a detail from another version of the story that they liked.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
All of the games fit together into a perfect, flawless meta-plot that was carefully written in its entirety before the original Zelda was released in the 80s. Link's Crossbow Training was planned from day 1, but they had to wait for technology to catch up.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Triarii posted:

Nintendo was dumb to even try putting all the games on one timeline, they had the perfect storytelling device in "it's a legend being retold by different people in different times and places"

Even when one game references another one, that's just the storyteller deciding to include a detail from another version of the story that they liked.

I can understand time travel creating a split timeline, but the whole "there's three timelines now!" thing should mark the entire project as doomed. Just let stories be stories!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Rochallor posted:

I can understand time travel creating a split timeline, but the whole "there's three timelines now!" thing should mark the entire project as doomed. Just let stories be stories!

... they are? Like holy poo poo having an overarching timeline hasn't exactly reigned in what they do with their stories, it just provides a neat backdrop/framework that you can ignore if you don't care about it. None of the games inter-rely on others for anything outside of minor details or cameos, even the direct sequels are largely standalone!

I do not understand this handwringing about people liking timeline stuff.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

People would still be arguing about it online but Nintendo made the mistake of writing down a Canonical To 2011 Timeline in a book and I suspect they've regretted it ever since

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
People get mad whenever timeline chat pops up though I don't really get why since it's basically just (nonsexy) fanfiction. Or maybe that's why it annoys people.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Rochallor posted:

I blame Ocarina of Time for having two different endings, basically.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The real mistake in making multiple ongoing timelines is that they never come back and intersect later on. Like, I want to see the gritty realistic timeline folks see a Link from the toon timeline and go what the gently caress happened *there*?!

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Grantéson! You're in the way!

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Timeline theorycrafting is extremely cool, and also fun

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

The Maroon Hawk posted:

-Zelda

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

What duping undermines is not grinding, it's the actual content in the game. It means sidequests stop giving you rewards any more. Getting 20 rupees from Addison is a small thing, but it's a bit of reinforcement that lets you keep doing it, and then you might enjoy doing it too. It also pushes you away from the point on the challenge curve you are intended to be, making it less fun.

Not everyone finds the challenge curve to be fun. I just want to explore world and solve the puzzles and finish the quests and not be particularly limited by equipement or money. That aspect isn't fun to me, the other stuff is.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
More seriously, I think the timeline stuff started in earnest because Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Wind Waker were all set in the same world, plus then the two DS games as direct and distant sequels to Wind Waker. That was a long period with a lot of new fans where every new game they played had a clear connection to the previous one.

BotW and TotK don't really fit in to a timeline at all (even papering things over with "and then society completely collapsed, and rebuilt, and collapsed again, and rebuilt again, and they kept using the same names for stuff this whole time" leaves weird thematic gaps like the Triforce and Din/Nayru/Farore disappearing) but there's enough games that do fit into a timeline that people keep thinking about it.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

The Maroon Hawk posted:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

The real mistake in making multiple ongoing timelines is that they never come back and intersect later on. Like, I want to see the gritty realistic timeline folks see a Link from the toon timeline and go what the gently caress happened *there*?!

I can totally see them eventually getting around to a Link Through The Past of a banished Ganon discovering some crack to let him access time travel and the alternate timelines to try and shatter some pivotal moment in the games, gotta go through twisted shards of past games to acquire whatever they cut out of the world to stymy Link. That or it would be a good hook for all the Links to be at risk and Zelda uses her time powers to save all the past Links and acquire the aspects of the Hero along the way.

They've already toyed with many of the parts they'd need to pull it off. Mario Maker has them cross translating tiles and mechanics between different games. Link Between Worlds had a variant on the switching to side scroller perspective they've had since the Gameboy games.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Khanstant posted:

I can totally see them eventually getting around to a Link Through The Past of a banished Ganon discovering some crack to let him access time travel and the alternate timelines to try and shatter some pivotal moment in the games, gotta go through twisted shards of past games to acquire whatever they cut out of the world to stymy Link. That or it would be a good hook for all the Links to be at risk and Zelda uses her time powers to save all the past Links and acquire the aspects of the Hero along the way.

They've already toyed with many of the parts they'd need to pull it off. Mario Maker has them cross translating tiles and mechanics between different games. Link Between Worlds had a variant on the switching to side scroller perspective they've had since the Gameboy games.

I mean thats almost literally the plot of Hyrule Warriors

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Because Nintendo always said they were in the same universe, and apparently had an internal timeline written up for a long time before it was released to the public. I agree it’d make more sense for most of the games to be in their own universe(like Final fantasy) but this is a problem Nintendo created for themselves

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zore posted:

I mean thats almost literally the plot of Sonic Generations

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zore posted:

I mean thats almost literally the plot of Hyrule Warriors

Never played it and never thought about it's story. Now I'm kinda curious.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
Lmao, I finally did the second main quest that takes you into Hyrule Castle.

Afterwards, when talking to Purah & the rest of the gang, Purah was like "Oh, you'll need to find the fifth sag- oh, you already found them? Okay then, you'll need to get the ma- oh, you have the master sword as well? Hm. Well then, I guess we'll just need to find where Gan- oh, you know where to find Ganondorf, too. Good job on beating Master Kohga!

We found it to be really funny because getting the Master Sword was like, the second thing we did in the game. But I guess the game expected us to do it really late.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zelda timeline stuff is cool except for the official Nintendo timeline

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Never played it and never thought about it's story. Now I'm kinda curious.

Basically at some point they rip Ganondorf apart and seal pieces of him in 3 different time periods (Skyward Sword, Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess) and give the job to a Sorceress outside of time to watch them and make sure he doesn't get put back together. She goes a little insane (partially due to Ganondorf's influence) and becomes obsessed with Link after watching all his iterations and starts loving with things. You play as a new Link/Zelda/Impa trio who start time hopping around grabbing allies from the various periods (Darunia, Midna, Fi etc) to stop the Sorceress.

Halfway through Ganondorf breaks out and takes control of the enemy faction and grabs Zant and Ghiraham as his lieutenants to keep ushering in an age of darkness yada yada, but since its a Warriors game you get a cool few stages where you play as them and get to absolutely gently caress poo poo up. Big counter-attack, our heroes win yay.

The 3DS version adds a coda-campaign that drags in Wind Waker and they had a bunch of DLC maps that integrated Majora's Mask, Link's Awakening, Link Between Worlds, and PH/ST characters. The main plot is serviceable but the game shines in the absolute ridiculous amount of content it has. I think I put like 500 hours in across all 3 versions and never got anywhere near 100% completion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh that sounds rad, I think I'll try them out and I absolutely think Nintendo will eventually pull off a Hyrule Sliders letting you jump between the different game worlds and styles on the fly.