Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Long Francesco posted:

So my dilemma is, is it something in the water, or disease? fungal? viral? I'm at a loss.

This is the stuff you want in your water to take care of the roots

https://southernag.com/product/garden-friendly-fungicide/

It’s like Hydroguard but more concentrated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Chad Sexington posted:

Ah yes, I too uh... intentionally seeded my lawn with clover. This was intentional.

I've actually started trying to seed some bare patches with red clover and barley to condition the soil, but without much success so far. Also trying it in my raised beds where they seem much happier.

Dandelions should help and are pretty easy right? Big old tap roots get down into the ground and feed everything in there

ScamWhaleHolyGrail
Dec 24, 2009

first ride
a little nervous but excited

Real hurthling! posted:

Got strawberry flowers

Hey same. The earliest of my three varieties is covered in them rn (zone 6b).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I've already got a couple of ripe fruit. Sunset zone 17, USDA 9b.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I've got green berries in 7a. Never seen an unripe strawberry before, it's weird!

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Asparagus chat followup: we have a few stalks finally popping. They're pretty thin though so im going to spend more effort on that bed making sure its very well built up and healthy this fall.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
The deed is done:

Tomorrow I will be putting in some starter plants and praying to the god of harvests

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I am not a violent person. Squirrels make me regret that.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Something keeps eating every single leaf off my skagit berry plant :( I did not know they were so delectable. If it manages to survive imma have to net it or something. what the gently caress

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

silicone thrills posted:

Something keeps eating every single leaf off my skagit berry plant :( I did not know they were so delectable. If it manages to survive imma have to net it or something. what the gently caress

I have to do that with my huckleberry. Rabbit nearly killed it on me. It’s a very dumb rabbit and it hope it gets hit by a coyote or something. Took a year’s growth right off it.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

We've had to fence everything that doesn't have thorns due to deer and groundhogs. One day Tiny Orchard will look cool, right now it looks like a cluster of chicken wire. Oh well, we're making suburbia weird and that's what matters.

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
My brother and I built some compost bins yesterday and today. I used pallets I got for free from a local business. The brackets, screws and chicken wire we already had, so this cost me nothing but time. It's not pretty and a bit janky, but it's solid and will work. I'm thinking of getting another pallet to build removable top half to the front to help keep bigger animals out, like deer. I was originally going to just cover them in chicken wire, but I'm not liking that idea anymore.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That looks fantastic

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Looks like my worm bins. I made the mistake of deconstructing the pallets and remaking them into bins though. Yours look great!

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I decided to un-thistle my lawn.

I started clearing these guys.

They weren't a lot of effort. Most could be pulled like carrots. But then I also saw these things.

They didn't look belligerent enough to be thistles to me, so I assumed they were something else. Especially since there were a lot of them. Like 10:1 to the regular thistles.

I grabbed one, and it pricked my hand as if my glove wasn't even there. So thistle it was. I tried to pull it and I had no luck at all. I tried digging around it a bit and pull the root directly, but that didn't work either. The only thing that worked was using a shovel to loosen the earth around it and then pull it up.

So what started as me with a basket and some thistles to pick. Turned into me with a shovel clearing literary, 16 wheelbarrows full of these new thistles. Which took 7 hours. I have never seen such a bastard plant before.

I finished up, mowed the lawn. I'll leave the lawn be for 2 weeks and so how many thistles survived today. Less than 16 wheelbarrows, I hope.

I found this thing on the edge of my lawn. Looks kind of cool. I hope it too isn't a thistle.

I also found a whole rose bush growing out of my lawn. I remembered I had some in the front yard. The excavation team must have dug it up and buried it on the other side of the house as filler during the drainage work.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 28, 2023

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

2nd picture looks like some variety of dock (rumex), maybe yellow dock?

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

rojay posted:

It had sharp barbs, and some of the mature ones had a little purple ball at the tip of the main plant.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Feliday Melody posted:

I decided to un-thistle my lawn.

I started clearing these guys.

They weren't a lot of effort. Most could be pulled like carrots. But then I also saw these things.

They didn't look belligerent enough to be thistles to me, so I assumed they were something else. Especially since there were a lot of them. Like 10:1 to the regular thistles.

I grabbed one, and it pricked my hand as if my glove wasn't even there. So thistle it was. I tried to pull it and I had no luck at all. I tried digging around it a bit and pull the root directly, but that didn't work either. The only thing that worked was using a shovel to loosen the earth around it and then pull it up.

So what started as me with a basket and some thistles to pick. Turned into me with a shovel clearing literary, 16 wheelbarrows full of these new thistles. Which took 7 hours. I have never seen such a bastard plant before.

I finished up, mowed the lawn. I'll leave the lawn be for 2 weeks and so how many thistles survived today. Less than 16 wheelbarrows, I hope.

I found this thing on the edge of my lawn. Looks kind of cool. I hope it too isn't a thistle.

I also found a whole rose bush growing out of my lawn. I remembered I had some in the front yard. The excavation team must have dug it up and buried it on the other side of the house as filler during the drainage work.

Hard to tell but the last one could be a jaunty showy milkweed.

But yes thistles are hell.

e. to explain the edit one time Icouldn't remember the name of that milkweed and I called it "jaunty" as a joke and that lives in my head forever now. Basically I made a face and the wind changed and it stayed that way.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
That last one looks like comfrey which is a great plant to have in your garden. Very good to compost and the bees love it

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

Schmeichy posted:

That last one looks like comfrey which is a great plant to have in your garden. Very good to compost and the bees love it

Then it can stay. It grows very fast!

I have no idea where it came from. I think people used to throw out plants here. I have a tulip in my ravine too, that's been growing there for 14 years.

I'm thinking that I should move it. But it seems happy there.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

rojay posted:

A dock with barbs? Now that sounds like a lot of fun.

We have a couple of species of invasive dock (different genus) here - my wife is currently making war on the Greater Dock that's trying to seize territory the Himalayan Giant blackberries have ignored so far. Not sure if mowing three times a year isn't effective or a whole bunch of seeds got carried over the fence from the neighbour's yard. Many wheelbarrows of roots and leaves later...

I've been researching flame weeders, wondering if they might be effective on dock. This came up, immediately triggering my inner 13 year old:

Aragosta posted:

My brother and I built some compost bins yesterday and today.

Well, now I feel lazy and inadequate. The next iteration of our compost bins will need to be more than just standing four pallets upright in a vaguely box shape and putting a few deck screws in.

Chernobyl Princess posted:

We've had to fence everything that doesn't have thorns due to deer and groundhogs. One day Tiny Orchard will look cool, right now it looks like a cluster of chicken wire. Oh well, we're making suburbia weird and that's what matters.

Embrace the Luft Stalag esthetique!

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I have a flame weeder. The whole deal was that instead of destroying the plant. It singed the plant. And then the plant wasted a ton of energy from the root trying to repair itself. Until the whole thing, including the root, died.

It's supposed to work well on weeds on stone and pavement surfaces. I tried on a few plants and not a single one died. They all grew back.

I know the municipality uses a little car that shoots steam at weeds to kill them, and that's supposed to work very well.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Feliday Melody posted:

I have a flame weeder. The whole deal was that instead of destroying the plant. It singed the plant. And then the plant wasted a ton of energy from the root trying to repair itself. Until the whole thing, including the root, died.

It's supposed to work well on weeds on stone and pavement surfaces. I tried on a few plants and not a single one died. They all grew back.

Yeah, I have one too. I need to throw it in the trash. Seemed like a good idea at the time but it really doesn't work on much of anything.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

How do i tie up cherry tomatos? I have been just moving the tie higher up the pole as they grow. Should i be leaving ties where they are and adding new ones higher up?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Real hurthling! posted:

How do i tie up cherry tomatos? I have been just moving the tie higher up the pole as they grow. Should i be leaving ties where they are and adding new ones higher up?

If you aren't using a tomato cage, you can probably gradually wind it around the post until it's holding itself up on it. Remove the ties as the stem thickens or use something loose to cradle it. I'd use something stronger than just a pole for when it gets heavy with tomatoes and then the wind tries to knock it over. Or get a tomato cage and don't worry about it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Real hurthling! posted:

Yup. And be prepared to add additional poles as the bush sends out sideward sprouts.

The classic tie for tomato plants was circles cut from used pantyhose. Glad I don't wear pantyhose any more, miss the plant ties.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I got like a mile long roll of velcro reusable tie tape and its easy

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

I got like a mile long roll of velcro reusable tie tape and its easy

Where? Just the hardware store?

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I have one of the little hand held torch wand deals and it really doesn't do much for weeding.

Works a treat on starting a burn barrel though and is downright cheating against bagworms.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Arsenic Lupin posted:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005755YSQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

7 bucks

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

You can get plant tie tape at hardware stores. For example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-Plastic-Stretch-Plant-Tie-5541/322277966

Its just a thin stretchy plastic tape.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

drk posted:

You can get plant tie tape at hardware stores. For example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Vigoro-Plastic-Stretch-Plant-Tie-5541/322277966

Its just a thin stretchy plastic tape.

In practice, I find that I tie this too tight.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
Foam wire ties are useful too and can be adjusted pretty easily. Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Luster-Leaf-Rapiclip-Foam-835/dp/B0026WGDYW

I find it only really lasts one season though, and honestly I like the plastic tape more (or even twine for many plants).

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I just use washi tape

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

i've used this stuff for all my tomatoes this year and i really like it, it's durable in weather and easy to reposition/reuse

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

eke out posted:

i've used this stuff for all my tomatoes this year and i really like it, it's durable in weather and easy to reposition/reuse

Yeah its been perfect

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
On the flame weeders, a homesteader my wife and I follow uses one to kill weed top growth in their beds just before planting out. She says the idea is that you kill the growth on the weeds, giving your crop time to size up and then shade out/out-compete the weeds from growing back.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Lawnie posted:

On the flame weeders, a homesteader my wife and I follow uses one to kill weed top growth in their beds just before planting out. She says the idea is that you kill the growth on the weeds, giving your crop time to size up and then shade out/out-compete the weeds from growing back.

Why would you go through the trouble and burning of fossil fuels to flame weed for that situation? It seems like most of these vlogging "homesteaders" are clueless.

There is a tool for this that has been around for quite some time. It's called a hoe. And if you sharpen it before use it makes quick work of it.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Motronic posted:

Why would you go through the trouble and burning of fossil fuels to flame weed for that situation? It seems like most of these vlogging "homesteaders" are clueless.

There is a tool for this that has been around for quite some time. It's called a hoe. And if you sharpen it before use it makes quick work of it.

The flame guns are Bangin for cracks in pavers etc, but if you wanted to go renewable I imagine you could probably crank up a heatgun and do the same thing?

I also have a bill hook which is great for weeding between pavers, but a flamethrower is pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight

Motronic posted:

Truth. I weeded part of my yard and seeded drought tolerant wildflowers a couple of weeks ago and used a hoe. It worked great. We used one of these, goes by different names, hula hoe, weeder hoe, scuffle hoe, etc.