Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The Ukraine war and Russian sanctions hits Germany particularly hard. That hasn't passed so it's not super surprising they are still getting a ton of headwind on a recovery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
So, what happens to my I-Bonds if the US defaults?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Otis Reddit posted:

So, what happens to my I-Bonds if the US defaults?

The US will almost certainly not default and there are many actions short of default that can be taken. But I guess I’ll engage with the question because people will not shut the gently caress up about it.

If we take Argentina as a guide eventually there will be some kind of restructuring settlement where you take a big haircut and then receive some kind of deferred terms of payment. Note that creditors don’t really have to be treated equally - Argentina made the IMF whole in 2005 but most debt holders took a haircut down to 30% of face. In the interim before a restructuring settlement your bonds will be basically valueless, but that’s irrelevant because I-Bonds don’t trade on the secondary market and the only way to liquidate them is back to the Treasury. I presume the treasury will stop liquidation of I-Bonds but regardless they will probably not pay you face if you choose to liquidate. So basically you hold on to them and then you wait and see what happens.

If for whatever reason you are holding debt instruments of a country that’s in default just hold on to them if they’re relatively valueless. The worst thing that can happen is that they actually become valueless, but there’s some upside. There was a lot of trading of Argentine debt for this reason (at pennies on the dollar) because if you buy something for 15% of face and then get 30% of face you just made a shitload of money.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Baddog posted:

I had to check, S&P has maintained that downgrade, I thought they might have popped it back up at some point in the last 12 years.

The fact that the "jewish space lasers" lady appears to be 2nd in command in the house of representatives makes things seem not nearly as guaranteed as they used to be. I'm wavering a bit here. 2011 went down to the day before treasury said that they would be out of money. This time it might actually go to the day of. Or they might even try to see if yellen is bluffing and can pull some more money out of her rear end.

Btw, I don't think she has been definitive enough on the date. When she says "early june, maybe as early as June 1", I think some of these dumbasses interpret that as "we have until June 10 or 15 or so before something bad actually happens". I don't remember the treasury statements on the debt being as waffly in the past.

yeah i've seen a fair number of republican house members publicly stating that they don't trust yellen's x-date and think there's either more time or more extreme extraordinary measures like preferential coupon payments that can be done. probably biden gives before this is an issue, but i worry that familiarity breeds carelessness. one of these days we're going to accidently dance off this cliff even though almost no one actually wants to

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

yeah i've seen a fair number of republican house members publicly stating that they don't trust yellen's x-date and think there's either more time or more extreme extraordinary measures like preferential coupon payments that can be done. probably biden gives before this is an issue, but i worry that familiarity breeds carelessness. one of these days we're going to accidently dance off this cliff even though almost no one actually wants to

If Yellen had come out and said "We cannot legally send the June 1 social security checks if the debt ceiling has not been raised before that date", it would properly light a fire under people's asses.

Familiarity breeding carelessness definitely seems to be the big issue here. I think Biden was relying on the markets and the business community to properly freak out and starting to push their weight around. Unfortunately, too many people are convinced that it will never happen and so there is no freak out.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

the debt limit is some completely made up poo poo that no one can track well, so people just read tea leaves and guess. the risk for republicans is if it goes on too long, people will find out there's no real limit in place and it's all theater

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Note that creditors don’t really have to be treated equally - Argentina made the IMF whole in 2005 but most debt holders took a haircut down to 30% of face.

Notable exception was Elliot Management, who refused the haircut and instead seized an Argentine navy ship.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

lifg posted:

Notable exception was Elliot Management, who refused the haircut and instead seized an Argentine navy ship.

drat, now I'm pushing for default. I've had my eye on the federal building in LA for a while.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The US will almost certainly not default and there are many actions short of default that can be taken. But I guess I’ll engage with the question because people will not shut the gently caress up about it.

If we take Argentina as a guide eventually there will be some kind of restructuring settlement where you take a big haircut and then receive some kind of deferred terms of payment. Note that creditors don’t really have to be treated equally - Argentina made the IMF whole in 2005 but most debt holders took a haircut down to 30% of face. In the interim before a restructuring settlement your bonds will be basically valueless, but that’s irrelevant because I-Bonds don’t trade on the secondary market and the only way to liquidate them is back to the Treasury. I presume the treasury will stop liquidation of I-Bonds but regardless they will probably not pay you face if you choose to liquidate. So basically you hold on to them and then you wait and see what happens.

If for whatever reason you are holding debt instruments of a country that’s in default just hold on to them if they’re relatively valueless. The worst thing that can happen is that they actually become valueless, but there’s some upside. There was a lot of trading of Argentine debt for this reason (at pennies on the dollar) because if you buy something for 15% of face and then get 30% of face you just made a shitload of money.

Are there any historical precedents for defaults by governments that absolutely can pay their debts, but are just unable to in the short term due to bureacratic gridlock?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

lifg posted:

I was expecting a modern naval destroyer, turns out it is the pride of the Argentine Navy

Pretty wild. I guess they own Evergreen, huge container shipping company that was in the news not long ago blocking the Suez canal, and have additional experience in shipping elsewhere so I guess seizing a naval boat is within their wheelhouse. That's a pretty big flex regardless

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

An interesting possibility I've heard, and easily the sloppiest possible solution (outside of the actual global nukes-are-flying economic crash), is that people holding US debt sue for damages. They would very clearly have standing and motivation to do so. Then the courts can decide if the debt ceiling violates the 14th amendment (it definitely does) and can order Treasury to keep selling debt to make its payments.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

lifg posted:

lol I did not know this, that rules

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

LanceHunter posted:

An interesting possibility I've heard, and easily the sloppiest possible solution (outside of the actual global nukes-are-flying economic crash), is that people holding US debt sue for damages. They would very clearly have standing and motivation to do so. Then the courts can decide if the debt ceiling violates the 14th amendment (it definitely does) and can order Treasury to keep selling debt to make its payments.

It's not a matter of whether the debt ceiling violates the constitution, though. It's a matter of whether the current SCOTUS will say that.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

ultrafilter posted:

It's not a matter of whether the debt ceiling violates the constitution, though. It's a matter of whether the current SCOTUS will say that.

I guess it depends on how many T-Bills are in Harlan Crow's portfolio...

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not sure if to post here or in the alternative CPU architectures thread but this is mighty interesting

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/chinas-powerstar-cpu-seemingly-confirmed-as-intel-silicon-via-geekbench

I'll just paraphrase because the article is poorly written

Comet Lake is Intel's 2019 desktop/low end server CPU architecture. They release a very improved version every other year, with a small bump in the alternating years, their "tick tock" product strategy.

It's on a 14nm Intel process which is in theory roughly equivalent to 8nm or 10nm TSMC process (no I don't know why but that's what I've heard)

Geekbench is a website you can upload CPU benchmark scores from and CPUs are sometimes leaked there but as the article points out, clever people can upload bogus benchmarks so this isn't 100% verified information. With the photographs and supplemental data it's plausible though

Anyways this Chinese chip apparently benches identical to an i3 (so, dual core) comet Lake chip. That would imply

• china already has a modern process line for Intel copies
  • china has the ability to copy 14nm designs exactly
  • china can copy exactly a 14nm chip and get it to manufacturing ready stage in 3 years right now

2019 isn't absolute bleeding edge but Intel is still manufacturing and selling 14nm process chips so, if true, this is probably a Pretty Big Deal and the article says they plan on selling 1.5mm chips annually starting next year. That might explain why the Biden administration hornet's nest has been buzzing so hard about China lately. Chinese Intel compatible 10th gen (comet Lake) chips

1) means the west has lost any CPU advantage over China
2) China is independent of the west for CPU in any kind of conflict, unlike Russia

quote:

Earlier evidence of the Powerstar / Intel Comet Lake similarities included the following:

• Physical lugged heatspreader design, and other physical characteristics
  • Physical substrate design is identical, as far as we can see
  • Silk screen print format on the IHS is the same
  • The PowerLeader processor name slightly jumbles Intel's: compare "10105" and "01105"
  • They are both marked as capable of a "3.70GHZ" base clock
  • The QR code on the upper right of the Powerstar P3-01105 PCB is said to match Intel's.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 26, 2023

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It’s a PRC prestige project. There’s a non zero chance that Powerstar is buying Intel chips and slapping a new lid on them.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Not sure if to post here or in the alternative CPU architectures thread but this is mighty interesting

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/chinas-powerstar-cpu-seemingly-confirmed-as-intel-silicon-via-geekbench

I'll just paraphrase because the article is poorly written

Comet Lake is Intel's 2019 desktop/low end server CPU architecture. They release a very improved version every other year, with a small bump in the alternating years, their "tick tock" product strategy.

It's on a 14nm Intel process which is in theory roughly equivalent to 8nm or 10nm TSMC process (no I don't know why but that's what I've heard)

Geekbench is a website you can upload CPU benchmark scores from and CPUs are sometimes leaked there but as the article points out, clever people can upload bogus benchmarks so this isn't 100% verified information. With the photographs and supplemental data it's plausible though

Anyways this Chinese chip apparently benches identical to an i3 (so, dual core) comet Lake chip. That would imply

• china already has a modern process line for Intel copies
  • china has the ability to copy 14nm designs exactly
  • china can copy exactly a 14nm chip and get it to manufacturing ready stage in 3 years right now

2019 isn't absolute bleeding edge but Intel is still manufacturing and selling 14nm process chips so, if true, this is probably a Pretty Big Deal and the article says they plan on selling 1.5mm chips annually starting next year. That might explain why the Biden administration hornet's nest has been buzzing so hard about China lately. Chinese Intel compatible 10th gen (comet Lake) chips

1) means the west has lost any CPU advantage over China
2) China is independent of the west for CPU in any kind of conflict, unlike Russia

The article says nothing about the chip being made on a Chinese 14nm node. The first paragraph, in fact, implies that Powerstar is somehow sourcing Intel silicon and slapping their own logo on it, which is a far cry from running a fab. Now, the ability to source parts in the face of an embargo is something, but that something isn't "Chinese manufacturing has copied Intels 14nm process."

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It’s a PRC prestige project. There’s a non zero chance that Powerstar is buying Intel chips and slapping a new lid on them.

Seems far more likely than magic reverse engineering of intel's entire layout (which would be more effort than just designing a new chip by an order of magnitude or two and nothing even slightly close has even been done publicly).

EDIT: I literally cannot explain how laughably implausible it would be to copy a modern CPU layout. Even if you stole a complete set of mask data, making it work on a new fab would basically entail designing the chip again, except with a lot more extra steps.

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 26, 2023

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well that's considerably less exciting

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

New article by wall street journal.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

CPI rent and Zillow rent estimate appear to track pretty closely. Of course they don't say if Zillow uses CPI data to influence their numbers

Rent inflation up 8% this year

https://wolfstreet.com/2023/05/22/r...tracked-by-cpi/

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

the chinese recipe for basically everything:

force western leaders to have local factories/offices in china if they want to hope for sales growth in china, which execs can't resist:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/15/business/boeing-china-factory-737/index.html

steal their processes, IP, etc., and copy their poo poo with a slight riff on it:
https://simpleflying.com/comac-c191-boeing-737/

produce domestic version which will eventually take all domestic market share from the western product:
https://apnews.com/article/china-comac-c919-first-commercial-flight-6c2208ac5f1ed13e18a5b311f4d8e1ad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

That’s the theory but the C919 is like the worst possible example to use considering it’s complete garbage that took forever to develop.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That’s the theory but the C919 is like the worst possible example to use considering it’s complete garbage that took forever to develop.

well, they were copying mid/late-2010s boeing, so

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The Schwinn -> Giant bicycle story is a great example of that, except it was more of an unforced error on Schwinn’s part.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm not sure how long it's supposed to take to spin up a commercial airliner industry, but given that pretty much only Airbus/EU are the only other people to do so would imply it's a difficult task

Supposedly Aeroflot built planes at some point but I've never seen one in person and I've been to a lot of air and space museums

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Hadlock posted:

I'm not sure how long it's supposed to take to spin up a commercial airliner industry, but given that pretty much only Airbus/EU are the only other people to do so would imply it's a difficult task

Supposedly Aeroflot built planes at some point but I've never seen one in person and I've been to a lot of air and space museums

Tupelov built a number of commercial airliners, including the first commercial supersonic aircraft, the horrifying Tu-144:

wikipeida posted:

Tu-144 pilot Aleksandr Larin remembers a troublesome flight around 25 January 1978. The flight with passengers suffered the failure of 22 to 24 onboard systems. Seven to eight systems failed before takeoff, but given the large number of foreign TV and radio journalists and also other foreign notables aboard the flight, it was decided to proceed with the flight to avoid the embarrassment of cancellation.

After takeoff, failures continued to multiply. While the aircraft was supersonic en route to the destination airport, Tupolev bureau's crisis centre predicted that the front and left landing gear would not extend and that the aircraft would have to land on the right gear alone, at a landing speed of over 300 km/h (190 mph; 160 kn). Due to expected political fallout, Soviet leader Leonid Brezhnev was personally notified of what was going on in the air.

With the accumulated failures, an alarm siren went off immediately after takeoff, with sound and volume similar to that of a civil defence warning. The crew could not figure a way to switch it off so the siren stayed on throughout the remaining 75 minutes of the flight. Eventually, the captain ordered the navigator to borrow a pillow from the passengers and stuff it inside the siren's horn. After all the suspense, all landing gear extended and the aircraft landed.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

drk posted:

Tupelov built a number of commercial airliners, including the first commercial supersonic aircraft, the horrifying Tu-144:

That whole story is a rollercoaster ride

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Even the first truly modern post Soviet airliner, the Sukhoi superjet, was not good and was in fact so bad it’s initial western operators ditched then or went bankrupt or both. And that’s with a very substantial head start on the Chinese.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

what i've read about the debt ceiling deal so far indicates a very minimal departure from actual planned spending and revenue collection by biden/dems. some culture war fodder in there affecting very small dollar amounts but... basically no nominal discretionary budget cuts, minimal actual cuts to future IRS spending, entitlements/defense continue their upward path, etc. it seems like something dems would've agreed to even without all the drama, since FY22 discretionary spending as % of GDP is far above pre-pandemic levels. makes me wonder if the GOP is gonna take another swing at spending when appropriations bills come around.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

pmchem posted:

what i've read about the debt ceiling deal so far indicates a very minimal departure from actual planned spending and revenue collection by biden/dems. some culture war fodder in there affecting very small dollar amounts but... basically no nominal discretionary budget cuts, minimal actual cuts to future IRS spending, entitlements/defense continue their upward path, etc. it seems like something dems would've agreed to even without all the drama, since FY22 discretionary spending as % of GDP is far above pre-pandemic levels. makes me wonder if the GOP is gonna take another swing at spending when appropriations bills come around.

Eh, the $20B the IRS is loosing isn't nothing, and my understanding is that it was specifically earmarked to help with their staffing woes. It's not the end of the world, but that agency is flailing and really needs to be properly funded.

edit: The Republican talking point is that the money would have hired "an army of auditors." Setting aside that I don't think it was auditors (iirc it was fixing their hosed tech backend?) even if that was true I mean, yeah. . . . that's kinda the point. We have existing tax legislation, people need to pay their taxes, some people don't and this is how you find them and get them to pay their taxes. If you don't like that pass some legislation to decrease taxes but trying to gut the enforcement mechanism only helps the people who are under-paying to begin with.

What I'm saying is the Republicans like criminals.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

the IRS thing appears to be an agreement for future appropriations bills to cut $10b in fy24 and maintain that $10b cut in fy25 for a total of $20b

but that's after an $80b rise (some of which went unspent this year) and the cuts are not gonna be in the text of this bill... so who knows, it could be totally undone in fy25. handshake deal on potential future cuts that would still equate to an overall $60b plus-up for IRS seems good, if your starting point is looking at their FY21 budget (pre-election-year). don't get me wrong, I'd wish for the full $80b because the IRS has been hosed for too long. but ironically for the purposes of this thread -- global economics -- slightly lower short-term tax collection will support world GDP

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Cyrano4747 posted:

Eh, the $20B the IRS is loosing isn't nothing, and my understanding is that it was specifically earmarked to help with their staffing woes. It's not the end of the world, but that agency is flailing and really needs to be properly funded.

edit: The Republican talking point is that the money would have hired "an army of auditors." Setting aside that I don't think it was auditors (iirc it was fixing their hosed tech backend?) even if that was true I mean, yeah. . . . that's kinda the point. We have existing tax legislation, people need to pay their taxes, some people don't and this is how you find them and get them to pay their taxes. If you don't like that pass some legislation to decrease taxes but trying to gut the enforcement mechanism only helps the people who are under-paying to begin with.

The Dems could run on "Republicans took the economy hostage to demand lower taxes for tax cheats" but they won't because they suck at their jobs (and also I stop doing a politics derail in this thread).

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Cyrano4747 posted:

Giving the IRS funding to go after rich people is massively revenue positive. Like giving the IRS $1 means they collect like $9 in otherwise lost tax revenue.

Separately I heard that blocking student loan forgiveness was part of the proposal from McCarthy, though I'm not sure how that works with the Supreme court case where I'm pretty confident they will find some tortured way to block it.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

Giving the IRS funding to go after rich people is massively revenue positive. Like giving the IRS $1 means they collect like $9 in otherwise lost tax revenue.

Defunding the IRS fairly directly increases the deficit for this reason, which is how you know anyone advocating for it is unserious about reducing government debt.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The primary goal was and still is and always will be, throwing around weight to show who is boss, so they can later make big claims about how strong and powerfully they owned the enemy.

I'm just glad that we seem to be nearly past the point where people will keep asking what happens when the US "defaults" on its debts. Until the impending federal budget fights, which are going to be a revisiting of the same poo poo, just with "we fail to pass a budget" as the threat.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Leperflesh posted:

The primary goal was and still is and always will be, throwing around weight to show who is boss, so they can later make big claims about how strong and powerfully they owned the enemy.

I'm just glad that we seem to be nearly past the point where people will keep asking what happens when the US "defaults" on its debts. Until the impending federal budget fights, which are going to be a revisiting of the same poo poo, just with "we fail to pass a budget" as the threat.

my understanding of the debt ceiling compromise (which mccarthy seems to be having some difficulty whipping for) locks in the budget for the next two fiscal years, so we won't have to hear about budget fights until after the election

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-65771669

quote:

The House of Representatives has approved a deal to allow the US to borrow more money, days before the world's biggest economy is due to start defaulting on its debt.

The measure passed the chamber by a vote of 314-117, with defections on both sides of the aisle.

The US Senate must vote on the bill later this week before President Joe Biden can sign it into law.

Slow news week shifts from excruciatingly slow to glacial

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

May jobs report is out...

The New York Times posted:

U.S. employers added 339,000 jobs in May.

Job growth jumped in May, reaffirming the labor market’s vigor despite a swirl of economic headwinds.

U.S. employers added 339,000 jobs on a seasonally adjusted basis, the Labor Department said on Friday, an increase from a revised total of 294,000 in April.

The strong figures emerged from a survey of employers. A separate component of the report, based on a survey of households, yielded a somewhat dissonant picture.

That data showed a rise in the unemployment rate to 3.7 percent, from 3.4 percent, and a decrease of 310,000 in the number of people employed, as participation in the labor force was little changed.

In a sign that the pressure to entice workers with pay increases is easing, wage growth slowed slightly in May, with average hourly earnings increasing 0.3 percent from April, and 4.3 percent over the year.

Still, the hiring numbers suggest that employers remain eager for workers even in the face of high interest rates and economic uncertainty. Many are still bringing on employees to meet steady consumer demand, especially for services. And rather than lay off workers — which would signal deeper cracks in the labor market — a large swath of companies have been content to limit their head count through attrition.

An open question is whether employers can continue to rebuff economic challenges — and for how long.

“While overall the jobs market performance has been surprisingly strong, I think the labor market can’t defy the gravity of Fed rate hikes forever,” said Sarah House, an economist at Wells Fargo.

The report complicates the picture for Federal Reserve, which has been raising interest rates for more than a year to temper the labor market and rein in price increases. Fed officials have indicated that the jobs report will be an important factor as they decide whether to raise interest rates again. Their next meeting is June 13 and 14.

Looming over the report is the debt ceiling deal, which the Senate passed on Thursday, though economists largely expect the spending caps and cuts to have only marginal impact on the labor market going forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So this just happened

This would imply Google has intentionally or unintentionally created a news topic called "societal collapse" :allears: way to go, automated content curation system said the obvious part out loud about the real function of "journalism"

LanceHunter posted:

May jobs report is out...

About half my friends just got new jobs in the last six months, checks out.