Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Horace posted:

some tit in my locale has started using a moped which is twice the volume of Krakatoa erupting. it also smells.

mopeds, a quarter the size of a car but somehow four times as annoying. you can’t say they’re not efficient.

they're mostly two stroke? two stroke engines are a scourge on the earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

sounds like a 2 stroke

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

eXXon posted:

Yes, it's a direct reference to police investigating why the victim of a speeding Dodge Ram was in the bus shelter when he owned a car. I was unable to find a single update to this incident from back in September so I hope that investigation is going well.

Ah yes, the very important investigation into the victim so we can all blame him for being hit and move on.

Edit: another ally in the war on our bike lanes.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
We are so loving back

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Weka posted:

I like the blues brothers mall scene

many, many cars (especially cop cars) were destroyed in the process of filming that movie. A+++

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

they're mostly two stroke? two stroke engines are a scourge on the earth

They're good for chainsaws etc which imo is the main use case of petrol engines.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

gradenko_2000 posted:

We are so loving back

183m :pathetic:

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

We are so loving back

Nice run.

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

leisure biking is more fun than lycra min-maxing

also that was a great ride for less than 2 months out from this:

gradenko_2000 posted:

It was gonna be my first long ride on the new bike, and I was very stupidly pushing as fast as I could, now that I could actually go fast. A motorcycle cut in front of me and I swerved to avoid and I hit a pothole, lost control, and flew off the bike.

The bike is fine though :yayclod:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm definitely the slowest person in my riding group, even before the accident, because I tend to be far more enamored of the "biking as a commute" concept and consequently load down my bike with snacks, a first-aid kit, extra water, and so on. My other friends don't even have a rear rack on their bicycles

and this is probably just anecdotal, but I notice that the "lycra min-maxers", so to speak, tend to ride much more closely to the gutter/sidewalk, and almost always slide to the right to evade obstructions on the bike lane, while more casual/commuting riders are more likely to go left and "take a lane" when evading trucks parked on a sharrow

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

i like doing long solo rides. did 40 miles the other day through some farmlands by the pacific which is a long ride for me. goal this summer is a metric century

Apr 7, 2003

We’re en route to Ohio right now to do a new trail, it’s actually flat and paved unlike most of the trails we do so it should be fun.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

:canada:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2023/05/f150-drivers-pleased-to-learn-electric-version-even-deadlier-to-pedestrians/

quote:

F150 drivers pleased to learn electric version even deadlier to pedestrians

CALGARY – Ford F150 pickup drivers across Canada were pleased and relieved to learn that the electric version of the vehicle is even better at annihilating unsuspecting pedestrians than the traditional gas-powered model.

For years the pickup driver community has been concerned that electric models will be less of a danger to small children, the elderly, and basically anyone who flouts the natural order of the world by walking where only massive hunks of self-propelled metal should roam.

Fortunately, specifications show that the new pickups are just as huge as the old ones and will also prevent drivers from seeing anyone over the hood who is less than eight feet tall. Plus, the electric versions have the advantages of faster acceleration, being heavier due to the weight of the batteries, and – best of all – are much less noisy so pedestrians aren’t as likely to hear them coming.

“Look, there’s only one thing I hate more than hearing about the fake climate catastrophe caused by fossil fuels,” said F150 driver Gary Russell, pausing to cough up ashes from local forest fires, “and that’s people who walk on sidewalks in that hostile, anti-truck way that they do. So, yeah, I’m willing to buy a quiet electric version so I can sneak up on those bastards!”

Pedestrian crush-tests performed by the manufacturers showed the electric models had a higher kill vs disable ratio, and were just as effective in side-swiping pedestrians when taking a corner too fast in a crowded city.

Some drivers have taken a different view by questioning whether pedestrian deaths even happen in the first place.

“Pedestrians are another hoax invented by car-hating liberals!” asserted Floyd Minster from Lethbridge. “I’ve been driving F150s for 15 years and I haven’t seen a single pedestrian. I might hear an occasional scream and a thud, but for sure I never see anyone.”

“The only people I see when I drive are workers in second-storey offices.”

At press time, Tesla has confirmed that their new electric truck’s self-drive function will automate the pedestrian killing process.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
https://twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1662972521287909376?s=20

Whether they’re bots, or just absolutely lead-laden boomers, I loving love seeing all the whining on this.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Boywhiz88 posted:

https://twitter.com/StarTribune/status/1662972521287909376?s=20

Whether they’re bots, or just absolutely lead-laden boomers, I loving love seeing all the whining on this.

when you have to drive slower behind a bicyclist riding in the center of the lane:

https://twitter.com/Nick97131379/status/1663010594444681221

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I saw, and learned about, SUV convertibles today and god drat are they some ugly looking cars.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Apr 7, 2003

That was technically just a rebodied Neon.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Aliendojadoll/status/1658947721380732929?t=R5LG6ekPn86iqrBYXpr0hg&s=19

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Got an ad for this thing... Finally! You can camp without technically leaving car!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Polo-Rican posted:

Got an ad for this thing... Finally! You can camp without technically leaving car!

Zipping up my plastic windows and turning on my engine so I can pass away in luxurious comfort.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Polo-Rican posted:

Canada's MAiD getting a little tacky

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

car drivers who contribute so much to the roads

lmao

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

lobster shirt posted:

lmao

If not for the drivers, the roads would be empty and boring!

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

lobster shirt posted:

lmao

hey, he never claimed they were contributing anything good

Apr 7, 2003

https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality-statistics/detail/yearly-snapshot

we're nearly back to 1975 levels of car crash deaths even with cars being safer in every way than they were back then. lmao

Apr 7, 2003

Ensign Expendable posted:

If not for the drivers, the roads would be empty and boring!

We drove out to Ohio to ride a bike trail yesterday, about an hour and a half. I don't do a whole lot of freeway driving and jesus christ are people insane now, tailgating at 80mph and weaving through traffic. it's maddening

duomo
Oct 9, 2007

Soiled Meat

lobster shirt posted:

lmao

they are contributing a lot of brake dust and tire particulates!

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

https://www.iihs.org/topics/fatality-statistics/detail/yearly-snapshot

we're nearly back to 1975 levels of car crash deaths even with cars being safer in every way than they were back then. lmao

My favourite part is that the share of vehicle occupants is going down and being picked up by pedestrian deaths. I guess if they didn't want to die, they should have been in a Ford F450 Super Duper Duty with extra truck nutz.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I haven't posted in this thread in a while but I'm popping in to remind everyone that jaywalking isn't real

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rode my bike today without insurance :twisted:

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thinking about Biden in the electric hummer

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol the community note

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
bollards ftw

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

the speed with which the rw propaganda machine turned "15 minute cities" into a naughty phrase is terrifying and impressive

Apr 7, 2003

cool av posted:

the speed with which the rw propaganda machine turned "15 minute cities" into a naughty phrase is terrifying and impressive

"Actually, you like sitting in your car for two hours every day"

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The choose life speech from Trainspotting but unironically

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Damage to my car caused by unlicensed pedestrians. When will this madness end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I haven't posted in this thread in a while but I'm popping in to remind everyone that jaywalking isn't real

Thank You