Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: symbolic)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You could just not do sweeps and motions that don't look good in animation...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

M_Gargantua posted:

Don't worry, they always seem to forget that motion blur is a thing that exists, so it still looks bad when you're effectively running at 12 fps.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CG owns. ive watched bang dream s2/s3 and d4dj and become a believer.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Also, the best looking CGI (at least in the anime style) can't compete with high quality 2d animation. Even Arc System works used a whole bunch of tricks that would be impractical for use in a TV show and I think that is the best example of the 3D anime CGI style.
houseki no kuni

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Studio Orange ftw

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Even as good as Studio Orange is I felt a lot of the Trigun Badlands action scenes had trouble any time they had to do moving camera shots that showed off a lot of the location geometry. The sand dunes looked amazing in still shots but the fight with Livio on the sand steamer felt like the characters were floating over the ground like a Bethesda game.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9YC6MdzB7s

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Even as good as Studio Orange is I felt a lot of the Trigun Badlands action scenes had trouble any time they had to do moving camera shots that showed off a lot of the location geometry. The sand dunes looked amazing in still shots but the fight with Livio on the sand steamer felt like the characters were floating over the ground like a Bethesda game.
oh yeah i thought trigun stampede had issues. however, houseki no kuni.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the oni series written by mari okada looks good imo. it's a hybrid of cgi and stop-motion but the look of it is really nice. i haven't watched it yet, just talkin about the visuals

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

the oni series written by mari okada looks good imo. it's a hybrid of cgi and stop-motion but the look of it is really nice. i haven't watched it yet, just talkin about the visuals

the what?
Edit: Ah, Netflix

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Endorph posted:

houseki no kuni

I still think 2D animation would look better if done by the right studio with a good production schedule/budget. You can make very good looking CGI anime if the effort is put in, but the quality ceiling is much higher for 2d stuff. (The quality ceiling also only applies if you are explicitly trying to recreate the anime style with CGI. If you play to CGI's strengths you can produce much better looking stuff.)

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 29, 2023

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

genericnick posted:

the what?
Edit: Ah, Netflix
yea, it's a co-production between a cg studio and the stop motion outfit that did the Rilakkuma series

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
theoretically if you had infinite time and money 3d animation would have no purpose and we could make the thief and the cobbler dx edition by resurrecting richard williams as a strange infinitely generating computer animation that looks like a bad nvidia rtx demo

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Colonel posted:

theoretically if you had infinite time and money 3d animation would have no purpose and we could make the thief and the cobbler dx edition by resurrecting richard williams as a strange infinitely generating computer animation that looks like a bad nvidia rtx demo
Hire this person, Miramax Films

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I still think 2D animation would look better if done by the right studio with a good production schedule/budget. You can make very good looking CGI anime if the effort is put in, but the quality ceiling is much higher for 2d stuff.
houseki no kuni

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

really there's things 3d animation can do easier that 2d animation cant even when we're talking about like, 'girls dicking around after school' type stuff. like again d4dj and the later bang dream seasons look great and they use the format for some good jokes or comedic timing. there's a lot of cheapass 3d out there but idk why people insist on comparing like, trigun stampede to the hypothetical perfectly animated 2d show. why arent we comparing it to like, 98 trigun. because that show also looks pretty good but has some cheapo 90s animation shortcuts or obvious b-list episodes where the characters go off model constantly.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

trigun stampede isnt perfect or anything but it looks better than most seasonals, 2d or 3d. if it was 2d and made at about the same relative level of quality it would also be about as good, because. itd be at the same relative level of quality?

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYWOG9q2HpI

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

If mocap and rotoscoping counts I've been rewatching Hanebado and that looks awesome. Having a good animation director that knows how to best utilize specific techniques really helps.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

The 3d version looks better.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
What we got was fine, but :chloe:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

much like 3d animation, 2d animation also often looks awful. but we're used to when 2d animation looks awful so outside of extreme outliers it doesn't get the same level of nitpicking 3d shows do to try to justify an easy, all purpose blanket opinion

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah 3d suits the series way better

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Houseki no Kuni only CGi anime that was good.

everything else i seen looked bad

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

M_Gargantua posted:

i dont think ive seen a 3d sweeping shot in a 2d show that looks good, the euphonium movie they used some 3d during the concert and it was very jarring

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
If I wanted to see 3D objects I’d just go outside.:chord:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i know 3d anime can look good because i've played hoyoverse games

also, Lupin the First

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

galagazombie posted:

If I wanted to see 3D objects I’d just go outside.:chord:

Worrying implications about the interior of your home

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

my house is 4d

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That third dimension costs extra, have you seen the market prices lately? Gotta take what you can get.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Ah, he lives in a flat

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Fangz posted:

Ah, he lives in a flat

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Fangz posted:

Ah, he lives in a flat

lmao

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fangz posted:

Ah, he lives in a flat

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
If you want to do good CG you still have to stick to traditional angles and camera movements. You just use the CG to do what it's good at then have a good post-process filter.

Like guilty gear or DBFZ have the right idea, just used in a way designed for fight games.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i like 3d animation because it makes a moving camera not a luxury visual tool that vacuums up huge amounts of animator time. moving cameras are great! i'd like to see them more often than once an episode

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

honestly i'd be fine with more CG anime that resembles a lot of the cg shows on netflix, like my dad the bounty hunter, or super robot brothers. they don't all have to be cel shaded 2D imitation

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Iseleve is pretty much "The MC isekai'd without even having to die, and lived happily ever after with no troubles after episode 1" but decided to stretch it out

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

It'd be more interesting if these isekai with a fat protagonists actually had them remain fat and not magically become a pretty boy. Heck, even having them gradually lose weight to something more healthy would work too. I guess that interferes with the power fantasy though. Its a really hosed up message that you only have value if you are attractive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

The 7th Guest posted:

i know 3d anime can look good because i've played hoyoverse games

also, Lupin the First

yeah, I really liked that 3d lupin, it was incredibly well done and also doesn’t lose any of the charm of the 2d media