Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Vise the Stompy posted:

Interesting confirmation this chapter Seems there is a form of possessiveness or perception of the target that ties the horseman powers together. Control needs to look down on the target to control. Famine needs them to feel starving to use them, and I bet this extend beyond physical hunger . Finally, War needs to feel affection or fondness towards the item to turn it into a weapon. Its an interesting connection between them. Will be curious to see how Death fits in this. I also wonder if Plague might still be a factor and "replace" Control similar to how is replaced Conquest in the pop-cultures perception of the Horsemen.

War and Control’s powers rely on their own perception. But I don’t think that applies to Famine.

Famine can control the starving, but starving is a personal state. If I don’t eat all day then I feel starving - it doesn’t depend on external factors or other people’s perceptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Not quite. War can turn anything they believe they own into a weapon. The weapon is more powerful depending on affection.

I thought the potency depends on guilt rather than affection.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

The famine devil doesn’t want to lose pizza or Chinese food as a motivation is up there with “the chainsaw devil wants to experience a hug”

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Hunt11 posted:

Good Omens has the Antichrist fighting against the end of the world and that includes defeating the four horsemen with his friends. In Thief of Time the four horsemen literally ride out to stop yet another attempt to end the world.

I was mainly referring to the characters who objectively should be trying to end the world, Crowley & Aziraphale, are actually objectively against it and actively trying to stop it. their reasoning is even the same, they've become so used to the joys of living on earth that they don't want the party to end

tho you are factually correct and that's all that matters. in my defense I'm only up to Hogfather

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

fantastic

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

famine’s power seems especially potent because she turns Falling into a figurine that she can assumedly deploy at will. not even Makima was able to make Primal Fears into Pokémon

I mean this makes sense, I imagine hunger being almost on the same level as a primal fear. I'm not sure if "famine" counts as "hunger" but they're almost assuredly quite close, and thus I have to assume Fami at least piggybacks off of fear of hunger. At any rate, I have to imagine "famine" is something scarier to many than being controlled is, as famine will mean you and everyone you know will die a slow and painful death.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Big Leg posted:

this, except when the mysterious unnamed barfing devil made falling devil upset. what a piece of poo poo

I hope she doesn't think her cooking is bad now :(

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I was mainly referring to the characters who objectively should be trying to end the world, Crowley & Aziraphale, are actually objectively against it and actively trying to stop it. their reasoning is even the same, they've become so used to the joys of living on earth that they don't want the party to end

tho you are factually correct and that's all that matters. in my defense I'm only up to Hogfather

I didn't think to include them so think we can settle with both being right.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
if there was an age of devils, we'd have no new chapters of chainsaw man

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Justin_Brett posted:

I hope she doesn't think her cooking is bad now :(

The Falling Yelp Rating Devil

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if there was an age of devils, we'd have no new chapters of chainsaw man

Terrible. Just terrible.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

I like when some unknowable evil like the Famine Devil and the Control Devil have a crisis over the threat of no more pizza. NO way!! Fujimoto keeps all of his characters no matter how weird very grounded.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

im hoping the next chapter is just nayuta going through a regular day

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Nayuta's the loving best lmao.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
This chapter gave me Fire Punch flashbacks, and yes, Nayuta rules, Denji is such a good influence on her.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Oxxidation posted:

famine’s power seems especially potent because she turns Falling into a figurine that she can assumedly deploy at will. not even Makima was able to make Primal Fears into Pokémon

I dunno why but my first thought was it was like some sort of catalyst to summon Falling to Earth but I guess there's no way to know for sure yet. However you're probably right.

Until proven otherwise I'm just going to assume that devil was literally The Diner Devil, and it was mostly powered by fights in Waffle House.

Hunt11 posted:

Good Omens has the Antichrist fighting against the end of the world and that includes defeating the four horsemen with his friends. In Thief of Time the four horsemen literally ride out to stop yet another attempt to end the world.

It's been so long since I read that first book I thought I was going crazy reading the comments, but I also kinda assumed there was just another book I hadn't read that made the comments fit. Thanks.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lmfao this whole chapter kept owning harder page after page how on earth

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol that denji's personality is contagious

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

New chapter makes me wonder if the funny Fight Club theory I've heard (that Asa and Yoru are the same person) might have some merit. If Fami could actually pull Yoru out of Asa, why did she bother starving Asa anyway?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Devils up until this point have been partially defined by having overwhelming and intense hunger so it makes sense that famine would be able to control them. That is extremely on theme for devils.

War, Control, and Famine all have a running theme with their powers, I wonder what Deaths deal is?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I'm interested in what Famine would want War to take possession of to use as a weapon if all went to plan. My first guess is that it's a pure power enhancement situation where something or someone is already crazy strong, but War turning them into a weapon makes them/it even stronger. The obvious potential there would be a very strong devil, but it's certainly possible that War's powers don't work on devils (or humans possessed by devils) given that they failed on Denji.

It's also certainly possible that War's got way stronger abilities if they're fully powered up and the plan would involve bringing them back to full power. And the idea of bringing back War to a world that's known peace because it's the only way to save the world is inherently interesting. It seems like if that's all they needed to do though, or if making that happen was part of the overall plan, then Famine could've gotten the ball rolling on that a lot on their own already, and as far as I know they haven't. Maybe they need War weak to get them on board, and then once they're on board it's time to cause mega World War 3?

Even if they don't get any further powers/abilities, it seems enhancing the fear of War would be helpful no matter what, so I hope we get an explanation for why that War enhancement hasn't happened yet.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 20:54 on May 30, 2023

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

Elite posted:

War and Control’s powers rely on their own perception. But I don’t think that applies to Famine.

Famine can control the starving, but starving is a personal state. If I don’t eat all day then I feel starving - it doesn’t depend on external factors or other people’s perceptions.

I think I may have badly worded my thoughts. Horseman have domain over something when they see a certain condition is met. I definitely agree with your assertion it ties into if the individual in question thinks their starving rather than the biological state of starving. So people are going to have different thresholds. Denji would probably be really hard for Famine since he lived so long in absolute poverty his mental tolerance for not having enough to eat could be massive.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Whirling posted:

New chapter makes me wonder if the funny Fight Club theory I've heard (that Asa and Yoru are the same person) might have some merit. If Fami could actually pull Yoru out of Asa, why did she bother starving Asa anyway?

Remember they can feel each other emotions/pain so it'd be easier if Asa was starved

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

It is interesting how all three of the horsemen we've seen so far have connections with humans that go beyond killing/eating and are more social in nature (control, ownership, and how would you describe it for Famine -- coercion maybe?), which if all goes well could lead to something akin to sympathy (and if it gets twisted into going wrong, you get Makima), so I guess it makes sense that they would be the devils most vested in heading off the apocalypse. I'm very interested in seeing how this also all ties into the earlier mentions of parasocial relationships, Chainsaw Man fandom, and other aspects of human interrelationships that Fujimoto explored so adeptly in the recent one-shots.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
All four horsemen serving as parts of a larger whole that all their defining traits/natures fit into would be fun. Kind of similar in context to how the seven deadly sins all fit into that "sin" category, I'd be interested in what "category" the horsemen would fit into the in the Chainsaw man universe aside from just "is a horseman."

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

They were never interested in starting any apocalypses, Nostradamus just saw them showing up as it was happening and blamed them for it. Dick. They don't even have a horse.

edit: They've only mentioned Nostradamus so far, right? Maybe in this universe that's where it came from? Chainsaw Man ate the Bible Devil?

edit2: oh wait they did show the Gun Devil wrecking a church in Vol. 1, but I guess no guarantees about whether it matches the Christianity we know

usenet celeb 1992 fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 30, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

They were never interested in starting any apocalypses, Nostradamus just saw them showing up as it was happening and blamed them for it. Dick. They don't even have a horse.

Isn't real life Nostradamus a huge dumbass?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

Sure, but who isn't a huge dumbass in this series?

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Sure, but who isn't a huge dumbass in this series?

:hmmyes:

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

They don't even have a horse.

Denji be a good brother and buy Nayuta a horse. :colbert:

[Edit] A horse equipped with a sick chainsaw.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Death devil can probably force deals with near dead people, and can probably gain full control over anything she kills

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

death devil, with the power to die!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
when falling is sad, i am sad :(

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

edit: They've only mentioned Nostradamus so far, right? Maybe in this universe that's where it came from? Chainsaw Man ate the Bible Devil?

edit2: oh wait they did show the Gun Devil wrecking a church in Vol. 1, but I guess no guarantees about whether it matches the Christianity we know
We also have people talking about angels and heaven, Paradise Lost exists, and graves have crosses. Evidence suggests Christianity is still around.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I found a fun theory.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

I Am Fowl posted:

I found a fun theory.

Nayuta says she made the demon's brain think they tasted like poo poo, not that she just made him throw up.

Anyway this whole time I thought that mystery demon was the insect demon for some reason, was I wrong?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Nuebot posted:

Nayuta says she made the demon's brain think they tasted like poo poo, not that she just made him throw up.

Anyway this whole time I thought that mystery demon was the insect demon for some reason, was I wrong?

Yes that's the point of the post,that she could've done that (even though I don't think that's the case)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Devils up until this point have been partially defined by having overwhelming and intense hunger so it makes sense that famine would be able to control them. That is extremely on theme for devils.

War, Control, and Famine all have a running theme with their powers, I wonder what Deaths deal is?

Extrapolating from the others, clearly they can control the dead. They're a necromancer.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
I think my favorite 'joke theory' that might actually come true is that the Apocalypse takes place at the japanese premier of The Phantom Menance since the time lines kind of line up since the end is supposed to occur in July 1999 and that is when Episode 1 debuted in japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
the glup shitto devil