Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Silver2195 posted:

We finally see Imu's personal power, and...it's less impressive than I expected. To be fair, I assume he was restraining himself to avoid destroying his own throne room or otherwise making a scene. He prioritized killing Cobra, who is much more dangerous as a credible witness; whatever bad things Sabo says about the World Government higher-ups is pretty much what you'd expect the Revolutionary Army to say.
I feel like everything Imu and the 5-stars did in this chapter was just hyper-haki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I love that Wapol literally just peaked through a crack in the wall

that's the funniest possible way for someone to just see all this. Like you got all this other subterfuge and sneaking around and then he just. Happene to look through a crack in the wall.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Ok i was definitely convinced Lili was gonna be Imu but this is fine too I guess.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I can't believe all 5 of the Gorosei + Imu were able to each get a copy of the Shadow Blob In Broad Daylight Fruit to eat

My assumption when I read it was that shadow constructs were all produced by Imu's Devil Fruit and the Five Elder Stars were just sort of standing there off-panel. But now that I think about it, I guess it makes more sense if they all transformed. I guess the obscured-by-shadow thing represents Sabo not getting a good look at them, rather than them being literal shadow-blobs.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

are you loving kidding me

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Going to file Imu = Lili next to "Kizaru uses nanomachines" and "Whitebeard got stabbed on purpose to power up".

Lili was a D. like I thought, so I'm still guessing that Vivi has inherited her will

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

HerraS posted:

Going to file Imu = Lili next to "Kizaru uses nanomachines" and "Whitebeard got stabbed on purpose to power up".

Lili was a D. like I thought, so I'm still guessing that Vivi has inherited her will

Ok TO BE FAIR whitebeard did kind of power himself up mentally after getting stabbed so its not so farfetchd is it huh

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't believe these turn of events loving Wapol is super revelant now lol One Piece owns

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

I can't believe these turn of events loving Wapol is super revelant now lol One Piece owns
Now we just need a reveal that Gin helped them meet up with Big News Morgan

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

We finally see Imu's personal power, and...it's less impressive than I expected. To be fair, I assume he was restraining himself to avoid destroying his own throne room or otherwise making a scene. He prioritized killing Cobra, who is much more dangerous as a credible witness; whatever bad things Sabo says about the World Government higher-ups is pretty much what you'd expect the Revolutionary Army to say.

i mean, it’s still kinda vague (on purpose) but it kinda seemed like the Elder Stars were also just straight up aspects of Imu which means they can just make shadow clones that functions autonomously, on top of stabbing people with arrows.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Wait? Did i miss something? Who put the snail on the wall? Did Sabo did that? And the Gorosei might not even be real is very fascinating to me. They're literally a Shadow Government

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

mabels big day posted:

Ok i was definitely convinced Lili was gonna be Imu but this is fine too I guess.

I still think it might be Lili's body at least. Imu's face and hair looks distinctly feminine in one panel right after Sabo shows up. Also Imu does have a habit of talking about themselves in the third person which leaves room for some ambiguity.

Silver2195 posted:

My assumption when I read it was that shadow constructs were all produced by Imu's Devil Fruit and the Five Elder Stars were just sort of standing there off-panel. But now that I think about it, I guess it makes more sense if they all transformed. I guess the obscured-by-shadow thing represents Sabo not getting a good look at them, rather than them being literal shadow-blobs.

I thought that the monsters were just Imu's power too but the fact that there are 5 of them does suggest a link to the Five Elders. They have to be somewhat independent enough to be shocked at Imu walking out in front of Cobra though.

It could just be that the Elder Stars are all zoans and Oda wants to obscure their abilities too I guess. In fact, I think you can see some awakened zoan clouds around a few of them.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 31, 2023

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
How much do you wanna bet the wiki spoils everyone?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
So Imu wasnt totally aware that Lili was a D? Either that or Imu was lying about Lili being incompetent rather than a traitor (and the Gorosei referred to her as a traitor before, hard to say if it was just a suspicion or what). Imu is certainly one of the 20 founders of the WG, and one who didnt swear an oath.

Vivi showing a lot of faith hopping in Wapol's mouth like that.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

the gorosei have mythical demon type devil fruits

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Good chapter, classic Oda giving us more questions instead of answers.

Sabo’s attack looks like it’s melting the five elders, it’s drawn with the same effect that Big Mom and Kaido got in the lava. My theory is his attack destroyed their human forms and the shadow blobs are their true forms.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Nephthys posted:

It could just be that the Elder Stars are all zoans and Oda wants to obscure their abilities too I guess. In fact, I think you can see some awakened zoan clouds around a few of them.

it's this imo

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Nephthys posted:

I still think it might be Lili's body at least. Imu's face and hair looks distinctly feminine in one panel right after Sabo shows up. Also Imu does have a habit of talking about themselves in the third person which leaves room for some ambiguity.

I thought that the monsters were just Imu's power too but the fact that there are 5 of them does suggest a link to Imu. They have to be somewhat independent enough to be shocked at Imu walking out in front of Cobra though.

They're wearing a veil. I thought it was long hair too until this panel. It still could be, but they are wearing a veil:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
my hot take is those arent zoans thats just what they look like for realsies. devil fruits are modeled after people/dreams from 800 years ago. they arent devil fruit users. they are devils.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Wapol :allears:

I love that the Five Elder Stars all have legendary zoans, that's sick as hell. And very fitting, given that we just had an arc that ended with a big battle between two legendary zoan users. Can't wait to see what they are, exactly, but it looks like they might be based on monsters from Japanese mythology (more connection to Wano?). My guesses are:
- Gyuki
- Umibozu
- Some sort of god with one of those floating cloth things
- Some sort of bird (we already have a phoenix, so it has to be something else, maybe Garuda?)
- A giant boar

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

i thought for sure the name would have water in it for water lily.

also important to note that the mustache elder appears to retain the mustache in his monster form.

oh they're tusks. false alarm.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

so a Gorosei is headed to Egghead

which has gauntlets that allow you to physically manipulate light

and the Gorosei might actually be shadow beings

:thunk:

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

the silhouettes are almost certainly just oda leaving room to fine tune designs like he often does

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

notwithyourheart posted:

i thought for sure the name would have water in it for water lily.

also important to note that the mustache elder appears to retain the mustache in his monster form.

oh they're tusks. false alarm.

zoans retaining/reshaping their human qualities while in animal form is a classic oda design thing. definitely leaning team zoan now

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Imu might also be generating/controlling shadow demons in the shape of the humans who we know as the Gorosei, whereas these are their true forms. I think that would be less cool than having actual shadow demon fruits though, so I hope not

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Imu might also be generating/controlling shadow demons in the shape of the humans who we know as the Gorosei, whereas these are their true forms. I think that would be less cool than having actual shadow demon fruits though, so I hope not

if they are directly literal puppets of Imu it doesnt make sense for them to act surprised at Imu doing anything like showing themselves to Cobra. Perhaps Imu can control or transform them?

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Geez you people. You're all overthinking it.

The Gorosei are real and both Imu and them are just shadowed so that we can get a proper surprise when someone fights them for real.

Kaido and Big Mom got the same treatment, are they shadow puppets of Imu too????

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

GonSmithe posted:

They're wearing a veil. I thought it was long hair too until this panel. It still could be, but they are wearing a veil:

hmmmm if you're talking about the lines emanating from the bottom of the panel, I feel like those are action lines, like perhaps Imu either looked up or got up suddenly due to the action (you see similar lines on the surrounding panels)

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Marluxia posted:

Geez you people. You're all overthinking it.

The Gorosei are real and both Imu and them are just shadowed so that we can get a proper surprise when someone fights them for real.

Kaido and Big Mom got the same treatment, are they shadow puppets of Imu too????

Yes. Imu has the censor-censor no mi. He can censor and obscure any story details from the reader. Truly a sinister power

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Yes. Imu has the censor-censor no mi. He can censor and obscure any story details from the reader. Truly a sinister power

I mean, that would actually be a fitting power for someone like Imu/the Gorosei.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Plutonis posted:

Oh my god lol not just Buggy but goddamn Wapol will become relevant to the endgame

Crocodile and Mihawk are going to be exiled from Cross Guild and Wapol and Caribou will take their place.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Fujitora continues to be the best Admiral.

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

i love the grey alien eyes that represent imu in that panel

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
starting to feel like the Imu is a terror from the stars theory is true

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
So there are 19 swords but Lily's is upstairs in Imu's room? If Lily is a D it sounds like she can't be Imu. So Imu is someone else entirely?

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 31, 2023

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

As someone earlier pointed out, we can see awakened zoan clouds on at least two of the Gorosei. But I find it dubious that we would have two awakened zoan fruit users and three non awakened. And even being in the shadows like this, I think we should still be able to see the clouds on some of the others, which suggests to me that not everyone is a zoan.

I don't think we've ever seen an awakened logia user, but we have seen an awakened paramecia user, and they didn't have the zoan clouds. Some paramecia fruits can change their forms too, see Mr. 3 or Trebol.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

hatty posted:

starting to feel like the Imu is a terror from the stars theory is true

Can't wait for the arc where Imu Jr kidnaps and trains Luffy's kid.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
obnoxious losers overhearing crucial deep lore secrets and ferrying them to whoever needs to hear for plot reasons: only two nickels, but it’s weird it happened twice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think I joked the other week about Lily being Joy Boy but.......I MEAN