Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Could you link it? I'm not sure which one you're talking about.

Ok here's the whole thing and some explanations about what the hell's going on:

This is the painting in question, made by Zhang Sengyou during the Lian Dynasty (not the Tang), showing the "The Five Stars and 28 Heavenly Abodes". In Chinese mythology most celestial objects were living beings that looked like humans, but more better and beautiful etc. because their bodies were made of pure Qi instead of flesh and blood.

The five 'classical' planets of Jupiter, Mars, Saturn, Venus and Mercury are described thus:

Jupiter, associated with the element of wood, is a leopard-faced being riding a boar.

Mars, associated with the element of fire, is a six-armed donkeyman riding another donkey.

Saturn, associated with the element of earth, is a farmer riding on a buffalo.

Venus, associated with the element of metal and usually depicted as a woman, rides on a phoenix or the Vermilion Bird according to some.

Mercury, associated with the element of water and also usually a woman, is a magistrate who sadly didn't get a rad animal to ride on.

Now, looking at the dark silhouettes we saw this chapter:

We can definitely see three of them could resemble a buffalo, a bird of some kind and a boar, leaving just the magistrate and the donkeyman.

Is this where Oda will get the inspiration for the powers of the Five Elder Stars? Maybe! :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Looking forward to Mars showing us the limitless destructive power of the donkey.

Also maybe Mercury has the woman-woman fruit?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Oda show us the true power of bureaucracy by giving Mercury the Law Law fruit

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010
Igaram's dream of Vivi becoming Queen of the Pirates, except with Wapol as her king :pray:

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Mercury could always have the fabled water water logia fruit. There is a blob figure among the five.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Her dad’s dead and the WG is hot on her trail, in other words there’s no reason for Vivi not to formally join the Strawhats now (also I hope Carue’s ok)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Sa D. Bo... sadboy...

Sad Boy. Joy Boy.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Larryb posted:

Her dad’s dead and the WG is hot on her trail, in other words there’s no reason for Vivi not to formally join the Strawhats now (also I hope Carue’s ok)

Agreed, but also her country will need a leader now more than ever, with Cobra's death, so I'm not sure.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Marluxia posted:

Agreed, but also her country will need a leader now more than ever, with Cobra's death, so I'm not sure.

True, but I could also see her hooking back up with Luffy at least temporarily until the situation is taken care of (also with everything that’s happened there’s a chance the WG might decide to give Alabasta the Ohara treatment)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Did I misread it or did Wapol not actually get seen by anybody peeking through the hole in the wall? So if he hadn't panicked and just gone to the meeting with the other nobles and pretended he hadn't seen anything he probably would have been perfectly fine? Because :lol: if so but how perfectly in keeping with Wapol to just absolutely lose his poo poo and do the stupidest and most cowardly thing possible immediately :allears:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Jerusalem posted:

Did I misread it or did Wapol not actually get seen by anybody peeking through the hole in the wall? So if he hadn't panicked and just gone to the meeting with the other nobles and pretended he hadn't seen anything he probably would have been perfectly fine? Because :lol: if so but how perfectly in keeping with Wapol to just absolutely lose his poo poo and do the stupidest and most cowardly thing possible immediately :allears:

Yeah, they heard him and said "who's there?" but nobody was actually chasing after him. Although I imagine they'll be able to put two and two together in the aftermath, especially since he grabbed Vivi :v:

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

The kings got a message that Cobra and Wapol wouldn't be returning before he started crashing through walls so I think he was probably screwed to begin with. Though this would be really funny.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Terper posted:

Sa D. Bo... sadboy...

Sad Boy. Joy Boy.

I swear to God, if Oda gave Sabo his weird awkward name just to make a Sad Boy pun...

Ronnz
Mar 6, 2010
After reading the chapter again I noticed something that stood out to me, if we are to believe that the Nefertaris are Ds then why didn't Cobra smile when he died?

Him dying without smiling if he's supposed to the part of the D clan seems to be a pretty big oversight to me.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

In the same vein, Whitebeard called Blackbeard a “fake D” and WB knew what the D means. If you can just assign it to yourself, how can it be fake? There must be more to it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It might still have a specific meaning despite being a self-assigned moniker, and Blackbeard just wanted the prestige and not the meaning

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Ronnz posted:

After reading the chapter again I noticed something that stood out to me, if we are to believe that the Nefertaris are Ds then why didn't Cobra smile when he died?

Him dying without smiling if he's supposed to the part of the D clan seems to be a pretty big oversight to me.

There might still be enough room to flash back to see him actually die-die once Vivi hears about it, to make it more emotionally loaded.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Here's how I see it: Blackbeard is a spanner in the works of the World Government, but he doesn't really oppose the current societal order, he's mainly just in it for himself and his own desires. Luffy is a "true" D because even if only incidentally, he's going to be forced into conflict with the World Government as they oppress people he cares about. But will Blackbeard even benefit from that status quo disappearing? It seems like what he wants is to be King poo poo of gently caress Mountain, and a more even playing field may obviate the role of Pirate King altogether. Opposing the World Government for Teach is only ever a means to an end.

So, he probably knows what a "D" is, or at least that it confers some sort of status, but is ignorant, apathetic, or both to the role that confers. It's as meaningless to him as it would be to Luffy, but only one of them is trying to leverage it. It's fake because he knows it's important, basically. Also, it's worth noting that Sabo didn't give it to himself, it was conferred upon him. Sabo's presumably a "true" D, even if not by birth, because he was given the title and lives up to it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

In the same vein, Whitebeard called Blackbeard a “fake D” and WB knew what the D means. If you can just assign it to yourself, how can it be fake? There must be more to it.
The extent to which people understand it is kind of unclear. It's a name. Did Luffy's parents know what it meant when they named him? Did past generations know more about it and the total "who knows/who cares" of Luffy and Ace referenced this chapter happen recently? Would someone like Luffy bother naming their kids "D" if they're really so ignorant of it even having significance? Do older people like Whitebeard and Kureha know everything about the importance of D, or do they just have a vague notion that it is important?

I feel like Whitebeard's accusation of Blackbeard being a "fake D" could have been based on pattern recognition and not deeper understanding. Other people named D have certain traits that Blackbeard lacks (smiling at death was cited). That could just be a thing he noticed. Or else he did specifically know that "D" somehow marks someone as, for instance, the type of person whose pride and sense of honor would keep them from cracking under pressure and giving in to threats of violence, and by whatever strict criteria Blackbeard shouldn't have the name. Even if he had that specific knowledge he might not know why people with those traits have that name.

And I think at this point the idea that it's for the sake of marking potential allies for a time traveling savior is... actually surprisingly plausible, despite how insane that sounds.

Basically, if the World Government held a gun to Blackbeard's head and said "kill your comrades if you want to live" he'd go "sure, living is more important" and so he'd be a huge vulnerability in a battle against overwhelming power, unlike the others with the will of D who would stoically sacrifice themselves before betraying their comrades.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If Saturn ate the Jerry Garcia fruit, was that a Cherry Garcia

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Eiba posted:

Do older people like Whitebeard and Kureha know everything about the importance of D, or do they just have a vague notion that it is important?

Before Roger died, he met up with Whitebeard and told WB what the D means. So WB knew exactly what he was saying.

But.. I went back to look at the chapter and the official translation doesn’t have WB mentioning D. So now I’m not sure if it’s a translation thing, or it didn’t happen in the same chapter where WB attacks BB, or who knows. Maybe I made it up.

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

Ronnz posted:

Cobra kind of didn't have time to smile, he was too busy dying trying to tell Sabo his last message. He wasn't afraid of dying at least.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

I assume in that he doesn't embody the ideals it's supposed to represent. For example his extreme cowardice in the face of death at Marineford.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Imu is Blackbeard's triplet

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Maybe Blackbeard's middle name is just Derek and he shortens it to be cool

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

I did love the touch here, that they both just declared being part of the Straw Hat Fleet. Luffy's going to end up getting blamed for striking a CD again!

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Luffy's really rubbing off on them.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice
Ya know, it's actually pretty similar to what's going on with Buggy. Managed to attract a large number of super devoted followers, whether they liked it or not.
Main difference seems to be in Buggy ends up horrified, Luffy I feel is going to have a blast laughing over swapping stories of what they all got up to.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

imu is dreaming up the world of one piece as some sort of fundamental pivot within it

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

wow that is striking

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Good ch.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

notwithyourheart posted:

wow that is striking

and luffy's whole bit of "everyone should have enough to eat" dovetails with the little kid in the book going to bed without dinner. this seems a little on the nose even

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Imu better use the same japan VA as Pein or I'll riot :black101:

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

henceforth, we are all D.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Where the Wil D. Things Are? I left them all in one place

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

will of d
willofd
willd
wild

you've cracked it m8

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

tbp posted:

will of d
willofd
wilford
wilford brimley

you've cracked it m8

The D is for Diabetes

\/\/\/ :aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jun 2, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

The D is for Diabetes

Wilfor D. Brimley

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
chapter officially out
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/one-piece-chapter-1085/chapter/39102?action=read

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject I’ll admit, Kaido’s drunken battle with Luffy in the latest anime episode was both well animated and pretty funny besides (also Zunesha has arrived meaning we’re very close to the anime debut of Gear 5)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jun 4, 2023