Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Well poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Regarding Alexa Bliss, has WWE ever tried (or succeeded) in adding time to someone’s contract due to a pregnancy the way they do with injuries?

davidbix posted:

I don't believe so. The impression I get is that after Dawn Marie's EEOC complaint and their settlement with her, they have made a point to not tempt fate and do anything that could at all be construed as retaliating against a pregnant woman, whether by firing her or extending her contract.

and they say wresting isn't art.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
That's not a good thing? She seems happy about it

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Lily Catts posted:

That's not a good thing? She seems happy about it
"Extending" is a really messy way of phrasing things because it's got multiple possible meanings.

What WWE (and reportedly AEW) have done in the past is tolled the contracts of (some?) injured workers, essentially pausing the contract during the injury and, in effect, extending the duration of the contract. A similar outcome was threatened by the Sixers during the Ben Simmons fiasco, warning that Simmons couldn't run out his contract after being cleared to play and that time he was sitting out wouldn't count against the contract's duration (and he would be fined, and he wouldn't be paid).

Extended could also mean they agreed on a new contract with longer term, or that WWE exercised an option in the contract to tack on extra years.

The ambiguity is particularly challenging in Alexa's case given this is all at the same time as her cancer treatment and Masked Singer commitments. Either of which, or her past injuries, could be used to justify the extension instead of the pregnancy if it was WWE acting unilaterally... and that arrangement could have been made and not publicized prior to Masked Singer, before she knew she was pregnant.

Of course, WWE's done fuckall to earn the benefit of the doubt and Alexa has everything to lose and little to gain by being publicly pissed off over this so... :shrug:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Lily Catts posted:

She seems happy about it
Or else

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

When did Kenny start using the V-Trigger? Since it's named after a game mechanic in Street Fighter V and SFV came out in 2016 did he not start using it until then? If he did did he previously call it something else?

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 2, 2023

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

When was the last time kenny used the hadoken?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Defenestrategy posted:

he still did it as a comedy spot during his jr title run in the bullet club but when he started getting a serious push he phased it out.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i do miss his STOP! enzugiri

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Defenestrategy posted:

He did it in the early AEW days where he and The Bucks were dressed as Akuma, Ryu and Ken. Would have been a travesty if he didn't do it then!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

You mean when the bucks were dressed as ryu and ken and he just winged it because his gear didn’t show up in time

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

History Comes Inside! posted:

You mean when the bucks were dressed as ryu and ken and he just winged it because his gear didn’t show up in time

He did his hair, what more do you want?!

I remember a few friends of mine thinking Kenny had done sort of gaming deep cut they didn't recognise. But no, it was just a bodged together Akuma from what he had in his bag.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i do miss his STOP! enzugiri

i miss the chainsaw forearm

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Suplex Liberace posted:

i miss the chainsaw forearm

I remember the last time he did that was during an IWGP Jr title match and Matt Striker was going on about how Omega had specifically shaved his arm at a certain time so the hair had barely grown back and as all stubbly giving it an almost sandpaper quality which why it was a nasty move. Jim Ross however didn't give a poo poo about the explanation.

I'm pretty sure that was the same match where Striker said that Omega had "swerved us all" to which Ross responded with something along the lines of "He didn't swerve anyone. He tricked us. Use normal words."

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hoss Corncave posted:

I remember the last time he did that was during an IWGP Jr title match and Matt Striker was going on about how Omega had specifically shaved his arm at a certain time so the hair had barely grown back and as all stubbly giving it an almost sandpaper quality which why it was a nasty move. Jim Ross however didn't give a poo poo about the explanation.

Maybe Matt Striker's best call.

Hoss Corncave posted:

I'm pretty sure that was the same match where Striker said that Omega had "swerved us all" to which Ross responded with something along the lines of "He didn't swerve anyone. He tricked us. Use normal words."

Maybe JR's best call.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That explanation is legit the hair on the back of my forearm is growing back right now from being shaved for a tattoo a few weeks ago and that stubble is nothing to gently caress with when I rub it on any other part of my body

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Hoss Corncave posted:

It's also very funny to think of JR rolling his eyes at Kenny's poo poo being too silly when the other guy in that match was Ryusuke Taguchi.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

ChrisBTY posted:

When did Kenny start using the V-Trigger? Since it's named after a game mechanic in Street Fighter V and SFV came out in 2016 did he not start using it until then? If he did did he previously call it something else?

Allegedly started to use it in January of 2016 or so, when I imagine the mechanic was known even if the game wasnt released until ~a month later. I always figured it pre dated SFV and he was referencing V-ISM or something!

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Has any promotion ever had a Mixed Gender Tag Team championship belt?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Admiral Joeslop posted:

AAA does. Tay and Sammy held them for a while.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

plenty

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Paracaidas posted:

"Extending" is a really messy way of phrasing things because it's got multiple possible meanings.

What WWE (and reportedly AEW) have done in the past is tolled the contracts of (some?) injured workers, essentially pausing the contract during the injury and, in effect, extending the duration of the contract. A similar outcome was threatened by the Sixers during the Ben Simmons fiasco, warning that Simmons couldn't run out his contract after being cleared to play and that time he was sitting out wouldn't count against the contract's duration (and he would be fined, and he wouldn't be paid).

Extended could also mean they agreed on a new contract with longer term, or that WWE exercised an option in the contract to tack on extra years.

The ambiguity is particularly challenging in Alexa's case given this is all at the same time as her cancer treatment and Masked Singer commitments. Either of which, or her past injuries, could be used to justify the extension instead of the pregnancy if it was WWE acting unilaterally... and that arrangement could have been made and not publicized prior to Masked Singer, before she knew she was pregnant.

Of course, WWE's done fuckall to earn the benefit of the doubt and Alexa has everything to lose and little to gain by being publicly pissed off over this so... :shrug:
Yeah, this is basically where I am. I don't think she'd bring it up like this in an interview if it was her contract being frozen (especially since WWE hadn't been doing that for pregnancies), but bringing it up as part of her "I'm pregnant!" media tour gives that impression to a point. Wouldn't shock me if she was clumsily talking about a negotiated extension, but I dunno. The Messenger's PR person had sent me the story and said they'd check with the writer when I asked for a clarification, but they haven't gotten back to me since then.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

ive never been to a WWE live event, can the audience hear when wrestlers are talking in the ring with no mic? Like some of the segment tonight when the bloodline was talking and they werent speaking into the mic?

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kvlt! posted:

ive never been to a WWE live event, can the audience hear when wrestlers are talking in the ring with no mic? Like some of the segment tonight when the bloodline was talking and they werent speaking into the mic?

Probably only the people in the first couple rows, unless the whole place is just dead quiet.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Kvlt! posted:

Only if its a Cena match

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

I thought it was a Viewtiful Joe reference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2iPIPjUoBo

did they really not call it a V-Trigger in Viewtiful Joe? poo poo.

e; I am sure Capcom called something a V-Trigger in Viewtiful Joe or its sequel, several years before SFV came out, but the only references I can find to it are an unlockable Viewtiful Joe costume in SFV, so it is very likely that I am wrong

idk what I was thinking of tho

e2: oh, I see, Kenny started using the V-Trigger when Nakamura left NJPW at the beginning of 2016

Venomous fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 3, 2023

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

dante has devil trigger and was in viewtiful joe once. kenny has "devil' stuff related to him. viewtiful joe has the vfx meter/gauge, v-points, v-film, v-coins, v-marks. it would be easily possible to mix some of everything together out of that, or it's something else

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Dante was also in the PS2 version of Viewtiful Joe, and Alastor is a giant DMC reference and has a Devil Trigger move in his boss fight.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

tbh considering he only started using it in February 2016 after Nakamura left and Kenny's a fighting game nerd, it's far more likely that it's an SFV reference, especially since he was probably one of the first to play it

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it is a street fighter reference. i was trying to help sort out your thoughts from earlier about believing it was v-joe. looks like we are done here mates

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

In kayfabe terms, what do you make of Hulk Hogans name? Is that just his name? First name Hulk last name Hogan? Was “Hulk” a nickname and Hogan a given name? Was he like Madonna or did he have another (first? last?) name we never heard??

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Sandman McMahon posted:

In kayfabe terms, what do you make of Hulk Hogans name? Is that just his name? First name Hulk last name Hogan? Was “Hulk” a nickname and Hogan a given name? Was he like Madonna or did he have another (first? last?) name we never heard??

I read it like "Tank" Abbot. Nickname and surname.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sandman McMahon posted:

I believe he's supposed to be Terry "The Incredible Hulk" Hogan, which became "The Incredible Hulk" Hogan... and finally Hulk Hogan.

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

I believe he's supposed to be Terry "The Incredible Hulk" Hogan, which became "The Incredible Hulk" Hogan... and finally Hulk Hogan.

drat, I was hoping it would be like Hank or Harry or something

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
And finally, Kid Hogan

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Is there anything from Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar’s New Japan runs that are worth checking out? I never see either referenced, so I’m guessing not really…?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

not particularly. lesnar treated it as a paycheck and never really put the work in and angle was completely busted up for his sporadic appearances.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Answers Me posted:

Is there anything from Kurt Angle and Brock Lesnar’s New Japan runs that are worth checking out? I never see either referenced, so I’m guessing not really…?

Kurt vs Nagata at Wrestle Kingdom 2 is worth a watch. And Kurt vs Tana at Resolution 2009 is fun too. Neither are remotely near the best stuff of his career but that's definitely the highlights

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Sandman McMahon posted:

Terry "Hulk" Hogan as per Thunder in Paradise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTSdWorVd18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Lesnar/Nakamura is worth it if you like seeing Shinsuke Nakamura treated like the fuckin nerd he was before his KOSS run