Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Here's one that's been annoying me for ages.

I saw it on UK TV in the 90s, but I'm pretty sure it was American or Canadian. It was a one off stop motion TV special (it wasn't a film, and I remember it had a similar animation style to Bump in the Night, but wasn't that) about a boy and a girl who ride a ghost train, and see a little Yoda-like gremlin fall over. They get off the train to help, thinking of the fair employees has been hurt, only to find that it's a real monster, and that the ghost train is like this weird pocket dimension of monsters that they have to go through to get back home.

Some of the monsters want to help them, others are worried that it'll bring human attention. I remember a bit where a monster with a jack o'lantern for a head is singing a sort of jazz number, with candy corn filling up a room.

The special might have ended up with the town forming a mob (like the ending of the 1930s Frankenstein film), but they calm down when they learn the monsters just want to be left alone.

Anyone remember this, or should I try Reddit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A funny video I found somewhere (may have been SA) of a couple of middle managers on a stage trying to hype a giveaway of gift cards or something at a corporate retreat/meeting. Their hype level was ridiculous for the relatively mundane stuff they were giving away - music, maybe balloons coming from the season. I can't find the video on Youtube.

e: Although it seemed like a Tim and Eric sketch, it was a real video someone made of a really lame corporate meeting.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jun 1, 2023

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

InediblePenguin posted:

as a kid in the 90s riding the bus to school the pop station would play this parody of Snow's "Informer" that was about being a farmer. The chorus hook part was "i'm a farmer, get up at 4 in the morning and use my hands to milk the moo moo cow." Googling provides a lyric site that says something about A Farmer (The Return of John Brown) but as far as I can tell that site is actually somebody posting some parody lyrics they wrote themselves and it's definitely not the actual extant audio that was playing on the morning radio.

Can't help with this one, but it does remind me of two short radio station parodies I do have along the same lines. (That is, I have them on tape, but have not digitized them yet or listened to them in ages to confirm they're still OK.) They both ran on WPST during a blizzard around 95 or 96, and they were shoveling-oriented spoofs of Green Day's "When I Come Around" and Goo Goo Dolls' "Name" (I think). If they're anyone's white whale, I will see what I can do.

A white whale of my own: 90s radio jingle for Philadelphia-area camping/surplus store Harry's Army-Navy. I can't find a recording of it. The words were more or less like this:
You want it, we've got it
Whatever you need, you'll find it
At HARRY'S ARMY-NAVY
The place where outdoor fun begins!
(Then the music continued in its upbeat style while specials and stuff were announced, and it ended with the store name sung repeatedly while fading out.)

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Thank you, I wound up ordering a Sapporo and an Asahi. My wife is gonna kill me.

Really I was hoping to get an unopened bottle, but these will do. As a product designer these are just fascinating to me.

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
I'm looking for a specific collage piece by the Surrealist/Dadist Max Ernst.

The piece in question shows up around 20:13 into this video, which deals with the beginnings of Ernst's collage phase, so I think it being a collage piece is a pretty fair assumption (it's the one of the... blindfolded woman on the couch?? with all the tubes running into her body.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdBaS8fgwNs

I checked wikiArt for his work filtered by collage, but I didn't find that specific piece. Hoping some kind ArtGoon out there might find a name for the piece or something.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

magic cactus posted:

I'm looking for a specific collage piece by the Surrealist/Dadist Max Ernst.

The piece in question shows up around 20:13 into this video, which deals with the beginnings of Ernst's collage phase, so I think it being a collage piece is a pretty fair assumption (it's the one of the... blindfolded woman on the couch?? with all the tubes running into her body.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdBaS8fgwNs

I checked wikiArt for his work filtered by collage, but I didn't find that specific piece. Hoping some kind ArtGoon out there might find a name for the piece or something.

Max Ernst - La préparation de la colle d'os (The Preparation of the Glue from Bones), 1921

low poly rat
Oct 22, 2012
I've got a couple video games I remember loving as a kid that I've not been able to track down.

A kids edutainment game featuring wallabies. I'm pretty sure it was set in an Australia-ish looking campground and opened on one of the bunk-rooms. I was a dumb kid who didn't understand video games so I never really worked out the point of the game. There was a colouring minigame, I think? The wallabies all ran off at the start of the game and I think maybe you were meant to track them down. This would have been probably early 2000s in the UK.

A kids puzzle (maybe?) game about two boys in a spooky castle. The only gameplay I remember was a section where the boys were staring at a table covered in wacky chemicals. I used to love messing around with them. There was also a bit where you had to do incredibly simple 'stop-go' """programming""", where each moving part was a different horror movie monster. As a kid I thought this was the reward for beating the game, but see above RE me being a dumb kid, there might've been more after I never managed to get to. Again, early 2000s UK.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
In the 80s there was some sporting event where aliens came for a goofy little music song/dance number or something. No one remembers this, but I could have sworn I saw a cartoon years later with aliens doing something similar that makes me think it was real and the cartoon was parodying it.

Does anyone else remember football game with an little green men halftime show?

magic cactus
Aug 3, 2019

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Max Ernst - La préparation de la colle d'os (The Preparation of the Glue from Bones), 1921

Thank you very much! Appreciate it!

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

JediTalentAgent posted:

In the 80s there was some sporting event where aliens came for a goofy little music song/dance number or something. No one remembers this, but I could have sworn I saw a cartoon years later with aliens doing something similar that makes me think it was real and the cartoon was parodying it.

Does anyone else remember football game with an little green men halftime show?

The 1984 Olympics?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdW_4O7u3Gc

The Simpsons did something like it:

https://twitter.com/dailysimpsons/status/1224056084811407360

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 2, 2023

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

low poly rat posted:

I've got a couple video games I remember loving as a kid that I've not been able to track down.

A kids edutainment game featuring wallabies. I'm pretty sure it was set in an Australia-ish looking campground and opened on one of the bunk-rooms. I was a dumb kid who didn't understand video games so I never really worked out the point of the game. There was a colouring minigame, I think? The wallabies all ran off at the start of the game and I think maybe you were meant to track them down. This would have been probably early 2000s in the UK.

A kids puzzle (maybe?) game about two boys in a spooky castle. The only gameplay I remember was a section where the boys were staring at a table covered in wacky chemicals. I used to love messing around with them. There was also a bit where you had to do incredibly simple 'stop-go' """programming""", where each moving part was a different horror movie monster. As a kid I thought this was the reward for beating the game, but see above RE me being a dumb kid, there might've been more after I never managed to get to. Again, early 2000s UK.

One of the KinderVentures Games?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

When I was growing up, my family's Tandy 2000 computer had two directories of BASIC computer games. Is there a curated archive of BASIC games somewhere online? These were games from back in the '80s (and maybe some from the late '70s?) And I think the most programming intense one would have been the golf one. It was stuff like hangman, frogger, etc.

low poly rat
Oct 22, 2012

My memory is obviously worse than I thought, this is definitely it but I managed to remember almost everything wrong lmao

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

I brought my Drake posted:

When I was growing up, my family's Tandy 2000 computer had two directories of BASIC computer games. Is there a curated archive of BASIC games somewhere online? These were games from back in the '80s (and maybe some from the late '70s?) And I think the most programming intense one would have been the golf one. It was stuff like hangman, frogger, etc.

The Creative Computing collections are in several archives, here's one:
https://www.atariarchives.org/basicgames
https://www.atariarchives.org/morebasicgames/

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

This has to be it, but I could never find it becasue I was looking for earlier than this and at football games. I kept watching for almost 10 minutes going, "I thought there were aliens that were talking to humanity..."

Then it happened.

Christ, this both the most absurd and the most unsettling Prince of Darkness analog horror thing I've seen in a long time.

Thanks for finding it and proving I'm not crazy.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Zopotantor posted:

The Creative Computing collections are in several archives, here's one:
https://www.atariarchives.org/basicgames
https://www.atariarchives.org/morebasicgames/

This Commodore 64 site has a ton that probably appeared on several platforms. I was pleasantly surprised to see Lemonade on there, something I played a lot as a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug19DaoaPB0

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

JediTalentAgent posted:

This has to be it, but I could never find it becasue I was looking for earlier than this and at football games. I kept watching for almost 10 minutes going, "I thought there were aliens that were talking to humanity..."

Then it happened.

Christ, this both the most absurd and the most unsettling Prince of Darkness analog horror thing I've seen in a long time.

Thanks for finding it and proving I'm not crazy.

Horror movie premise: Your memories are all real and all terrifying

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Horror movie premise: Your memories are all real and all terrifying

This is just called having an anxiety disorder

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

magic cactus posted:

Thank you very much! Appreciate it!

Just in case anyone thinks I actually know anything about art, I just took a screencap from the Youtube video and fed it through Google's reverse image search :sweatdrop:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Arivia posted:

This is just called having an anxiety disorder

Don't post facts at me, buddy

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
I didnt realize that episode of simpsons was titled Lisa the Greek. Its named after sportscaster Jimmy the Greek who was fired for racist comments in '88.

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Seeing as I was lucky the other day, here's a vague description of a song that Spotify served up once months ago and I only barely recall.

Spoken word song; a man talking calmly over fairly peaceful music, looking at a window and temporarily seeing or imagining a future/past scene (in the reflection from a lightning flash, or passing streetlight?). The vision ends before the song does. Almost certainly from the UK. It didn't feel old, but that could be any time in the past 30 years really. Aaand that's about it.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

uvar posted:

Seeing as I was lucky the other day, here's a vague description of a song that Spotify served up once months ago and I only barely recall.

Spoken word song; a man talking calmly over fairly peaceful music, looking at a window and temporarily seeing or imagining a future/past scene (in the reflection from a lightning flash, or passing streetlight?). The vision ends before the song does. Almost certainly from the UK. It didn't feel old, but that could be any time in the past 30 years really. Aaand that's about it.

Stab in the dark: Johnny Cake by Harold Budd and Hector Zazou? No idea about the visuals.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

looking for a humorous short video of an Eastern European man using a tea bag in increasingly large bodies of water from a few years back. Hopefully it wasn’t a vine and still exists somewhere

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

looking for a humorous short video of an Eastern European man using a tea bag in increasingly large bodies of water from a few years back. Hopefully it wasn’t a vine and still exists somewhere

Is it this?

Cyber Punk 90210
Jan 7, 2004

The War Has Changed
I overheard a conversation in my office where one of the people used the phrase "what's the team's White Whale situation" and I thought of this thread.

Then I thought of defenestration

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cyber Punk 90210 posted:

I overheard a conversation in my office where one of the people used the phrase "what's the team's White Whale situation" and I thought of this thread.

Then I thought of defenestration

Well, tell them not to use a harpoon unless they’re sure they won’t be tangled in the line from it.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Yes, thank you

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

uvar posted:

The subject matter sounds similar to I Trawl The Megahertz by Prefab Sprout but that has a woman speaking.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

uvar posted:

It’s surely not this, but the way you describe what you’re looking for reminds me of this late piece by Gil Scott-Heron (the “Whitey’s on the Moon” guy):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ourQPK9ueas

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice
Thanks to everyone for their guesses, I got to listen to some interesting music and possibly prime the Spotify recommendation pump for...

Fighting Elegy posted:

The subject matter sounds similar to I Trawl The Megahertz by Prefab Sprout but that has a woman speaking.

This one felt very close! I had a hunch and made it show me similar songs and bam, at number 5 - Losing Haringey by The Clientele. :toot: Relistening to it I'd forgotten how "melancholy" it is, hmm.

I wasn't too far off, though he's remembering the window, not seeing the image in one.

quote:

...If I looked hard, I could see the lines of the window ledge in the original photograph were now composed by a tree branch and the silhouetted edge of a grass verge. The sheen of the flash on the window was replicated by bonfire smoke drifting infinitesimally slowly from behind a fence.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

BV posted:

I want to find some of the old enclothe tshirts. Iykyk

I have a bunch of them, and also just spotted Chris O'Dowd wearing one in an old episode of the IT Crowd (the Fahrenheit 451 fireman design)

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

sebzilla posted:

I have a bunch of them, and also just spotted Chris O'Dowd wearing one in an old episode of the IT Crowd (the Fahrenheit 451 fireman design)

Weird coincidence, I just watched the scene where Moss and Roy find a bomb disposal robot and Roy was wearing this shirt which I also used to wear

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I’m looking for a short text, I think it was a few paragraphs, where the writer was using race as a stand-in for gender to highlight how common male-as-default is in English. Like instead of calling humans “man” they used race instead. I think it was possibly a gender studies type thing but I’m not having success trying to Google it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Joburg posted:

I’m looking for a short text, I think it was a few paragraphs, where the writer was using race as a stand-in for gender to highlight how common male-as-default is in English. Like instead of calling humans “man” they used race instead. I think it was possibly a gender studies type thing but I’m not having success trying to Google it.

I believe this is called "A 'Person' Paper," where the two pronouns used are white and black (whe/ble IIRC?), with black people changing state of address upon employment.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Here: https://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/purity.html

... Somehow I got it crossed with "Flatland" in my head. Hofstadter is one of my faves.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yes, that’s it! Thank you both.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
drat that paper goes surprisingly hard

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!

uvar posted:

Thanks to everyone for their guesses, I got to listen to some interesting music and possibly prime the Spotify recommendation pump for...

This one felt very close! I had a hunch and made it show me similar songs and bam, at number 5 - Losing Haringey by The Clientele. :toot: Relistening to it I'd forgotten how "melancholy" it is, hmm.

I wasn't too far off, though he's remembering the window, not seeing the image in one.

Glad I was sorta able to get you in the right direction there! Prefab Sprout is really good if you like synthpop/sophistipop. I Trawl The Megahertz is the only spoken word album he did because his vocal cords got diseased for a brief period of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Nubbles
Nov 17, 2005

Keeper of the Beard
Okay, goonmind, help an old goon out.

In the late 80s/early 90s there was a PBS ad break/promo that was a lot of hip hop stars (I want to say maybe Run-D.M.C., Kid n' Play) in addition to Penn and Teller, who said "I'm Penn, this is Teller. Stay Fresh".

I cannot find a video, or even reference to this online. I know the rough time period, know it was on PBS, but I cannot find a reference. Does anyone remember or maybe point me at a PBS archive?