Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

thetoughestbean posted:

until he said he skipped movie credits and she immediately shot him in the head, she’s great.

Finally a real hero for our age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

thetoughestbean posted:

She thought one of the guys trying to assassinate a kid was hot and almost let him go until he said he skipped movie credits and she immediately shot him in the head, she’s great.

The whole premise is a kindergarten for high profile targets being guarded by former inmates, but she’s just interested in finding a hot guy

thanks for the explanation. just from that single panel I thought it was going to be a reverse this guy and she was shooting for very creepy love

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Yeah, no. She's very much looking for adult boyfriends. I guess some of the hot guys could be teenagers-played-by-twenty-somethings, we didn't get their ages before they revealed some terrible personality flaw and lost potential boyfriend status.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Witch Watch

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Cross Game

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Source: Medalist

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Medalist is so good for real.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The Eminence In Shadow :allears:

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Suleman posted:

We all need someone like Tsukasa in our lives.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Cautionary spoiler for "The Dangers in My Heart"

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 2, 2023

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

You ever get hit by a Truman Show reference in 2023?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Nihilarian posted:

You ever get hit by a Truman Show reference in 2023?

lol nice. source please

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Suleman posted:

You can tell that Inori is thinking of places to bury Rioh's body.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

where the red fern gropes posted:

lol nice. source please
The Villainess is Retiring

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

doomrider7 posted:

You can tell that Inori is thinking of places to bury Rioh's body.

Please don't say that. Inori is a very nice girl.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Suleman posted:

Please don't say that. Inori is a very nice girl.

Very true. Her first aid choices are a little weird though.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
The recent Gadsby/Picasso kerfuffle (don’t ask it’s deeply boring) has me thinking of the balls of a manga called Blue Period having this a its first page

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Medalist is cute, but it's kind of uncomfortable just how young these ice skaters are. Is it like this in real life? Don't they ever get a chance to just be children? Is doing multiple spins in the air and landing on one skate not dangerous for young children? Also, I feel bad because I want them all to win and only one of them can.

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jun 4, 2023

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Nebrilos posted:

Medalist is cute, but it's kind of uncomfortable just how young these ice skaters are. Is it really like this? Don't they ever get a chance to just be children? Is doing multiple spins in the air and landing on one skate not dangerous for young children? Also, I feel bad because I want them all to win and only one of them can.

See also: gymnastics and cheerleading.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nebrilos posted:

Medalist is cute, but it's kind of uncomfortable just how young these ice skaters are. Is it like this in real life? Don't they ever get a chance to just be children? Is doing multiple spins in the air and landing on one skate not dangerous for young children? Also, I feel bad because I want them all to win and only one of them can.

There might be some bit of exaggeration, but yeah they usually start young since their careers are short due to the needed physical attributes being the first to usually fade out.

I used to be REALLY big into MMA so I can fill in the blanks here as it's applicable universally for sports, but basically the order of first to fade to last is usually reaction time, speed, endurance, and strength. You see this come up a bit with some of the coaches having trouble keeping up with the kids due to not having the endurance they had when competing with Tsukasa being the sole exception due to his conditioning regiment. Also, keep in mind we're only seeing the competition moments and events and it's shown/mentioned that they do have lives outside of this, it's just not the focus.

I also 100% agree about your last point and feel super bad for some of the girls. :(

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Another World’s Health Method with Two Months Left to Live

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

doomrider7 posted:

I used to be REALLY big into MMA

Just curious—have you read any manga about MMA? I’m reading All-Rounder Meguru right now and I know people on the forum really liked Teppu

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

thetoughestbean posted:

Just curious—have you read any manga about MMA? I’m reading All-Rounder Meguru right now and I know people on the forum really liked Teppu

Yeah those two are about it. There was the manga Hanakaku: The Last Girl Standing, but I'm not sure why it got cut short since it was amazing and very realistic(still rec it though). The Manga RRR is about boxing, but is still very amazing.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:

Red Blue

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

doomrider7 posted:

There might be some bit of exaggeration, but yeah they usually start young since their careers are short due to the needed physical attributes being the first to usually fade out.

I used to be REALLY big into MMA so I can fill in the blanks here as it's applicable universally for sports, but basically the order of first to fade to last is usually reaction time, speed, endurance, and strength. You see this come up a bit with some of the coaches having trouble keeping up with the kids due to not having the endurance they had when competing with Tsukasa being the sole exception due to his conditioning regiment. Also, keep in mind we're only seeing the competition moments and events and it's shown/mentioned that they do have lives outside of this, it's just not the focus.

I also 100% agree about your last point and feel super bad for some of the girls. :(

MMA is actually a lot easier than things like dancing or skating. You can make up for some of the loss of physicality with intelligence and skill. You'll still fall off pretty quick, but it's something. Dudes in their late 30s have been competitive in the recent past. Figure skating? You brutalize your body and you go from champion capable to completely incapable of ranking at the speed milk goes bad, and you might be washed up before you can legally vote. Oh you can still do some neat poo poo and get a job on some Disney on Ice tour or whatever, but in the last century one guy in their 30s medaled. And he was 31. No woman has. And of the 4 Golds at 2022 for figure skating three of them went to teenagers.

General rule is if you think your sport is hard you are probably dealing with some weak poo poo. If it involves teenage girls it's probably the single most horrific mental and physical experience you can put a human being through. Moreover, it probably means they started at 5. I'd rather pound nails into my dick and go through some ridiculous Batman training at my age than try to seriously learn gymnastics for instance. poo poo is brutal.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

In other sports you can make up for that physical gap by technique and experience, but for gymnastics especially physics works against age.
Younger gymnasts are Shorter, lighter, more flexible, and anatomically their weight is more evenly distributed. That means they can pull off faster spins and flips with less effort and energy expended, and less risk of over/undershooting or worse, injury, The forces involved are that much lower. Theyre also able to be thrown higher by the spring of the mats and vault, and shorter arms and legs mean less moment of force they have to work against.

Im not going to even touch the societal aspects.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
In addition to gymnastics, ice skating and ballet, now that skateboarding is an olympic sport, we're seeing ~12 year old girls dominating that as well. There haven't been any nightmare stories about that yet, but in a few decades there might well be.

So, yeah, competitive sports in general are pretty hosed up.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

all that being said medalist rules

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mulva posted:

MMA is actually a lot easier than things like dancing or skating. You can make up for some of the loss of physicality with intelligence and skill. You'll still fall off pretty quick, but it's something. Dudes in their late 30s have been competitive in the recent past. Figure skating? You brutalize your body and you go from champion capable to completely incapable of ranking at the speed milk goes bad, and you might be washed up before you can legally vote. Oh you can still do some neat poo poo and get a job on some Disney on Ice tour or whatever, but in the last century one guy in their 30s medaled. And he was 31. No woman has. And of the 4 Golds at 2022 for figure skating three of them went to teenagers.

General rule is if you think your sport is hard you are probably dealing with some weak poo poo. If it involves teenage girls it's probably the single most horrific mental and physical experience you can put a human being through. Moreover, it probably means they started at 5. I'd rather pound nails into my dick and go through some ridiculous Batman training at my age than try to seriously learn gymnastics for instance. poo poo is brutal.

Completely true. I went with MMA since it's more my wheelhouse of knowledge and yeah I remember when George St. Pierre(famous MMA champion) once stated that gymnast where the greatest athletes. All of this actually gets brought up in the first chapter and even the first color pages and throughtout the first chapter. It helps that Inori is shown to be very athletic...as well as insanely jacked. Rioh's reaction always makes me laugh.

kidcoelacanth posted:

all that being said medalist rules

That is very true.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Since its on the subject gonna rec the manwha Taekwondo Kid.

As a highschool athlete (track and wrestling) it really captures well the vibe of team training, dynamics and tournament experiences for a group training sport that requires you to then more or less compete alone. Unique character design and good / practical coaches. If you ever did any kind of athletics growing up you might enjoy it. Its not like world class but its a fun read imo.

e:

That Works fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 4, 2023

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Shinozaki-kun has some really good chapters.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

This is really fun and has really pretty art.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lloyd's brother is suddenly getting married (hid who it is)! Everyone is very happy today in The Greatest Estate Designer- ....

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

The context is that the tournament arc in Rosen Garten is being televised, but the broadcasts protects peoples secrets by showing them as something else. In this case the girl's actually a huge loving dragon who just fired a giant death ray at her opponment, but the crowd instead sees that.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jun 12, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I'm a fan of doing the best beam, but that ain't it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I don't know who to root for because I like all 4 teams in this fight.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

What a cruel girl, not letting him be invisible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nitrousoxide posted:

What a cruel girl, not letting him be invisible.

Yamada Anna ----> Not Letting Their Boys Be Invisible <---- Nagisa Kubo

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jun 12, 2023