Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Joke answer, Equilibrium

Unless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Gun kata is great. No need for bulletproof suits when you can just avoid the bullets altogether with martial arts!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Gun Kata is unironically awesome. Kurt Wimmer may be one of the biggest dipshits on Earth but he made gun kata and will always have that going for him.

It's a shame that it never really took off and evolved from the quite frankly primitive depiction in Equilibrium. Great concept though.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Equilibrium :q:

Woops beaten a million times

I feel like Baby Assassins had a solid mix.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Equilibrium :q:

Woops beaten a million times

I feel like Baby Assassins had a solid mix.

Yeah, I was thinking of Baby Assassins but there's not all that many action scenes in it and it's only the final fight that transitions from gun to hand to hand to gun. But even there, the heavy doesn't even have a gun, he's pure hand to hand.

It should be interesting to see how BA2 deals with things because it'll run into the same problem Wick 1 does where everyone dies to headshots. At least Bernhardt got him in the bulletproof vest but never being hit in the arms would have gotten silly over the course of 10 hours of action

Edit the fable 1/2 are pretty close to wick but I would need to rewatch them

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 31, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Well if it makes you guys feel any better I was trying to think of that one movie where it was guy vs. girl and they didn't hit each other too hard but it was very grabby and lots of different transitions and started with a gunfight and of course it's Baby Assassins.

I think that ~maybe~ you could put Night Comes for Us on this list just because of the integration of the intensity with the body horror and gore.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
There's a recent Korean action film called either 'The Killer' or 'The Killer - A Girl Who Deserves to Die' depending on your region that features some very cool blends of gun/axe/knife fighting, including a dope as gently caress faux long take scene that moves through an elevator then a hallway.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shin Kamen Rider is a lot of fun but there quite a few people who got burned by the movie starting exactly at 7.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Zaror was dope in Redeemer.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Disposable Scud posted:

Zaror was dope in Redeemer.

Hell yeah friend. I love that flick, and this fight specifically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9YCNCVFUI8

I always love it when there's one random thug that puts up much more of a fight that expected, like Daniel Bernhardt in the first Wick.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Watched "Operation Seawolf" last night. Frank Grillo, Dolph Lundgren, and Hiram A. Murray.

Bads:
--everyone's "German" accents were all over the place. I know people make fun of DL for his wandering accent, but this time, it was everyone.
--very low budget for the CGI, and there was a lot of CGI because of their limited sets.
--weirdly, the three named stars never meet. One's in the US in an office, one's on a ship, one's in a submarine.
--no special features. This would be a great one for director's comments and making-of featurettes.

Goods:
--Dolph Lundgren :sweden:
--They were allowed to film in museum-piece REAL submarine and warship from WW2. USS COD Submarine Memorial in Cleveland OH, and the battleship USS Iowa. That is the awesome part and the real reason I recommend watching this, not because it has DL without pants (you can get a better/longer shot of his rump in The Punisher, if you really need to see him naked). History buffs will love the chance to see the difference between Real Subs and TV/movie sets.
--There were exactly two all-Black-crew ships in WW2, so they put one in this movie.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

High Warlord Zog posted:

War is good fun, especially if you're looking for something to scratch the same itch as the later Fast and Furious movies

Just watched it, don't think it quite lived up to the hype of F&F/M:I. The cgi setpieces weren't quite imaginative enough.

The second lead, Tiger Shroff, also got done dirty by the fight editing. The choreography was pretty good, but as he showed in some of his dance numbers he is insanely athletic (he throws out an impeccable straddle split jump) and other than an aerial to open up the final fight, doesn't really get to use it too much. Had one really great move where he cartwheeled out of reach but it was blink and you miss it. Frankly, he reminded me of Adkins as Boyka in terms of the flexibility + muscle and it was a shame to hide it behind quick cuts.

Still a pretty fun overall movie but definitely could have been a lot more.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Watched The Killer (2023) last night, it rocks. Solid action all around and I really appreciated how at first the main guy looks really bored in all the fights but as the movie goes on you can see he is always looking around and planning our his next moves. Really awesome fight choreography

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

B-Rock452 posted:

Watched The Killer (2023) last night, it rocks.
The New Fincher movie??? I thought it wasn’t out until the fall.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Remulak posted:

The New Fincher movie??? I thought it wasn’t out until the fall.

Oh god I didn't even know he had a new movie coming out, what I watched was a South Korean action movie. It's on Amazon as The Killer but the full title is The Killer: A Girl who Deserves to Die

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

Oh god I didn't even know he had a new movie coming out, what I watched was a South Korean action movie. It's on Amazon as The Killer but the full title is The Killer: A Girl who Deserves to Die

I mentioned it three posts up. It's fine I'm not hurt or anything.

It was good. Really one note but a strong note. I'm always a fan of revenge movies where the twist is 'THEY HAVEN'T DONE ENOUGH REVENGE YET' and it turns there's more dudes to kill.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Bruce Khan is really fun as the heavy in the Killer. I liked it a ton more than the swordsman, which I thought has real bad lighting

But too much revenge is no good - just saw I Saw the Devil and oof. Good movie, tough subject matter, almost too much for me

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

Bruce Khan is really fun as the heavy in the Killer. I liked it a ton more than the swordsman, which I thought has real bad lighting

But too much revenge is no good - just saw I Saw the Devil and oof. Good movie, tough subject matter, almost too much for me

I Saw the Devil is a movie that's incredibly well made but that I absolutely loathe. There is so much directorial flair and so many excellent creative decisions in service of a story that's just mean spirited and, honestly, kind of dumb. I'll spoiler it, just in case I get the idea that going after revenge the way he does causes other people to get hurt and killed and leaves the guy with nothing, but he was there at the beginning of the revenge story. He loses his pregnant wife, and is a shell of a man bent on revenge. At the end, he's a shell of a man who got his revenge, but also some other people died because he went about his revenge in a kind of loving stupid way. So he's a broken shell who's not even especially good at getting revenge. There's not a lot to like or engage with there. Again, extremely well made film, at times straight up brilliant, but just kind of dumb.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Snowman_McK posted:

I Saw the Devil is a movie that's incredibly well made but that I absolutely loathe. There is so much directorial flair and so many excellent creative decisions in service of a story that's just mean spirited and, honestly, kind of dumb. I'll spoiler it, just in case I get the idea that going after revenge the way he does causes other people to get hurt and killed and leaves the guy with nothing, but he was there at the beginning of the revenge story. He loses his pregnant wife, and is a shell of a man bent on revenge. At the end, he's a shell of a man who got his revenge, but also some other people died because he went about his revenge in a kind of loving stupid way. So he's a broken shell who's not even especially good at getting revenge. There's not a lot to like or engage with there. Again, extremely well made film, at times straight up brilliant, but just kind of dumb.

You're spot on. what he loses at the end is bad but not as bad as at the beginning. Maybe if you flip the two sisters roles it works a lot better

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah wasn't really a fan of I Saw the Devil, there's a whole host of overrated and often unnecessarily nasty South Korean films

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Yeah wasn't really a fan of I Saw the Devil, there's a whole host of overrated and often unnecessarily nasty South Korean films

I think i saw it about the same time I saw 'Bedevilled' about a woman mistreated by her hometown until she snaps. Her mistreatment is so over the top and meaninglessly cruel (to the point that her daughter dying is something she should just suck up and get over) that the snap feels overdue and completely inadequate. There's a mean spirited edge to a lot of Korean cinema that crosses over from 'dark and serious' into something that's almost comical.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

I mentioned it three posts up. It's fine I'm not hurt or anything.

It was good. Really one note but a strong note. I'm always a fan of revenge movies where the twist is 'THEY HAVEN'T DONE ENOUGH REVENGE YET' and it turns there's more dudes to kill.

I actually picked it because of your post, my wife is away so I went through the last few pages to pick out some movies that she wouldn't want to watch. And The Swordsman rules, I didn't notice the lighting issues but I also have a giant crush on Joe Taslim so probably wasn't paying attention to it that much

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Heads up about The Killer, when I looked it up there was a little note saying it would be available on Prime starting tomorrow. So don't pay to rent it today if you have a Prime sub you can just wait until tomorrow.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Punkin Spunkin posted:

We're all just chasing the high we got from Man from Nowhere.

Still can't find a movie that matched up to it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I thought the Jason Statham movie Safe was a serviceable recreation of The Man From Nowhere, if you're itching for something similar but don't want to just watch The Man From Nowhere for the nth time.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Safe rules, 87 eleven did the action, Statham fit right in to what they were trying to do.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 5, 2023

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Snowman_McK posted:

...There's a mean spirited edge to a lot of Korean cinema that crosses over from 'dark and serious' into something that's almost comical.
I think these are meant to be comical and over the top, like Sunny. I thought that e.g. Parasite had some top-grade physical comedy in a hopeless situation, but I was the only one in the theater laughing and my daughter elbowed me so hard in the ribs that I had a bruise for days.

Note that my other daughter is named after Sam Raimi, so finding slapstick comedy in a hopeless situation has some precedent....

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Absolutely deranged to not find Parasite funny. It’s almost more comedy than thriller. And yeah that’s just the standard mode for Korean movies I think

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The funeral scene in The Host is the best most awkward version of horrifying sad and comical

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Shageletic posted:

The funeral scene in The Host is the best most awkward version of horrifying sad and comical

Frowning with disapproval when my date laughs at the cops torturing an r worded kid in Memories of Murder

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Song Kang-ho is a really gifted actor for eliciting grim chuckles.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Remulak posted:

I think these are meant to be comical and over the top, like Sunny. I thought that e.g. Parasite had some top-grade physical comedy in a hopeless situation, but I was the only one in the theater laughing and my daughter elbowed me so hard in the ribs that I had a bruise for days.

Note that my other daughter is named after Sam Raimi, so finding slapstick comedy in a hopeless situation has some precedent....

This wasn't Parasite, though. This was Bedevilled. A movie that is about how we (as a society) turn a blind eye to abuse. The abuse is so blatant and straightforwardly cruel and the viewpoint character has to ignore it so actively that it undercuts the point. No one could possibly ignore what the bullied woman and her daughter go through unless they were actively trying to. The end result is less an indictment of indifference and more an indictment of a specific sub set of sociopaths.

I know that Korean cinema has a love of tonal whiplash, or what seems like tonal whiplash to a western audience. Bedevilled wasn't that, though. It was just kind of stupid. To make a very clumsy comparison, Anchorman and Tag (don't pretend to remember that movie, go google it) are trying for very similar things. One really doesn't work, though. Critiquing the many ways that Tag doesn't work can't really be answered with all the ways that Anchorman did.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Just always killing kids was the big shocker for me. Since I'd seen a lot of Hong Kong cinema I was a bit more prepared for the wild tonal swings.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Just always killing kids was the big shocker for me. Since I'd seen a lot of Hong Kong cinema I was a bit more prepared for the wild tonal swings.
Lol, never, ever leave the room when you're watching a Hong Kong movie with little kids.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
The Killer (2022) is also back on Tubi as of today!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Martman posted:

Adkins is super fun in Avengement, I also can't comment on a ton of his work but he hams it up real nice

That's definitely the movie where he stands out to me, there is also that movie with Iko Uwais where he is a villain and the Turkish movie where he is a villain. Actually this guy needs to play more anti hero/villain type characters, he is super boring as the babyface nice guy.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I'm gonna recommend the French actioner Lost Bullet and its sequel... They're fun, some great fights and ridiculous car sequences

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

brocked posted:

I'm gonna recommend the French actioner Lost Bullet and its sequel... They're fun, some great fights and ridiculous car sequences
Just watched these and yes, they're quite good fun, even if they went a bit heavy on the "look at the crazy shots we can get from a drone!" camerawork. (I found Julia a much more interesting character than protagonist Lino, FWIW.) Did think it was pretty funny that the French police adopted the same approach to catching criminals as the MFP in Mad Max - send a roided-out Interceptor car to smash them off the road at high speed.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

I'm a little behind on the thread so apologies, but...

trevorreznik posted:

I'm actually struggling to think of a gun heavy actioner with lots of hand to hand that works well. Partly because after enough movies things just blur together, but my initial thought was the Matrix which, well, those rules are much different.

I only saw the first two but the Matt Damon Bourne films had a bunch of good hand to hand combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Watched Fast X home release. It's fine but so many times in the movie I felt like I might have seen in this in the theaters when I didn't. If they didn't have new characters/actors I would most likely think I 've seen this. Jason Mamoa is loving awesome though, haven't seen him forever since he went into the superhero poo poo.