Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Fairly certain that happens with official Lego stuff too.

i ended up just taking the 'legs' off and its a cute enough build. i might dig up some tan bricks as replacement legs but weirdly enough im happy with how inspired of a micro build it is despite the bad system fit lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Yes.

But for real, WickedBrick's policy is basically 'Ehh, gently caress it, we'll ship it whenever we get around to it'. In my experience it ships six weeks after you order it, and gets there a couple weeks after that, so basically the eight weeks, but I've had stuff take longer too. It feels like the definition of someone's side business that they just kinda do whenever, despite that I'm pretty sure this is someone's whole thing.

This is totally what Wicked Brick feels like. How in the world is it a 6-10 week turnaround time (from the last time I checked until now) for more than 9 months. I wouldn't mind buying something in the states or whatever, but they're much better than their competition.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

obi_ant posted:

This is totally what Wicked Brick feels like. How in the world is it a 6-10 week turnaround time (from the last time I checked until now) for more than 9 months. I wouldn't mind buying something in the states or whatever, but they're much better than their competition.

I know that during the pandemic Wicked Brick used a lot of its raw materials to make PPE for the NHS. Since then the raw material cost has sky rocketed and availability has never got back to pre-pandemic (or Brexit) levels. So basically it'd because its a company based in the loving hell world that is the UK.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Skios posted:

I recently picked up the McLaren speed champions double pack, and the build techniques on the Solus GT are crazy even by speed champions standards. It's nine studs wide rather than the default eight, and besides the whole chassis being built from the ground up there's just so many cool new tricks in the thing.

I finally built it based on this post and wow. The whole undercarriage was really unexpected. I was pleased to see a lot of 1x5 plates in use as well.

It's kind of an ugly car with the crazy gap in the middle, but the back slope was fantastic and I loved that it was done courtesy of an extremely simple 1x1 headlight plate on each side , angled just a bit.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
When I opened the box and found only one of the standard Speed Champions base plates, I immediately assumed I was dealing with a very rare packing order.

Anyway, just finished putting together Lloys and Arin's Ninja Team Mechs. Some thoughts:

The build is fairly standard. Bag one is Arin's mech, which in terms of size/build techniques compares to smaller mechs like Zane's Power Up Mech EVO, with the 45 degree rotated plates that sadly have become the standard for mech limbs in the past two years. The remaining six bags build up the main mech, in a fairly standard progression (Torso > Hips > Thighs > Lower legs/feet > Arms > Accessories).

It doesn't do anything particularly new and exciting. It has decent mobility for a mech of its size, including knees with a decent range of motion. The cloak that covers its shoulders, mainly made up of four large plates, does limit the mobility of its arms somewhat. The arms in general feel a bit underwhelming. Five fingers on the hands is nice, but there's a lot more exposed studs than you usually see in a mech of that size. Definitely something that could have been touched up a little with two dozen more parts.

The darker green colour compared to previous Lloyd mechs paired with the large hat, glaive and shoes do give it a unique shelf presence. The glaive is a bit silly - even with 50cm of shelf clearance, the mech has to hold it at an angle to fit - and the design is rather simple. Basically just a series of rods holding an oversized blade at the end. I don't regret buying it, mostly because I'm a mech collector. But objectively, Jay's Titan Mech from earlier this year beats it as a play model.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
the tranquil garden looks pretty cool. would go well with himeji castle if that ever comes out

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
When is that coming? Instant buy

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is this like a bonsai / architecture blend? Very neat if out of nowhere.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I built my Great Wave off Kanagawa last night and today while listening to the accompanying Lego art podcast about the painting and it was some of the most zen lego building times I've had, and the finished product is gorgeous.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
what do you guys typically do with VIP points? use em for discounts?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
yes sometimes they have sets you can only buy with points but mostly it’s useful for discounts

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Looks like the warehouse has gone back to slow motion. 5 days later my order hasn't shipped.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Someone (I think Carbs) asked a long time ago for a photo of the line up of rally cars on my desk. My desk's been a pigsty for ages, but I've finally cleaned it up a bit, at least enough to take an updated photo of the roster:

C'mon lego, put out a lancia 037 :pray:

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
speaking of cars, does anyone know how often they release speed champions sets? from looking at the previous releases, it looks like every ~6 months or so (not counting the one off fast and furious releases).

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Jehde posted:

Someone (I think Carbs) asked a long time ago for a photo of the line up of rally cars on my desk. My desk's been a pigsty for ages, but I've finally cleaned it up a bit, at least enough to take an updated photo of the roster:

CADA does an 08 WRC Peugeot but it’s an RC kit

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Sunk Dunk posted:

speaking of cars, does anyone know how often they release speed champions sets? from looking at the previous releases, it looks like every ~6 months or so (not counting the one off fast and furious releases).

It’s annual but the launch month isn’t super consistent.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I feel like there are two waves a year. Am I crazy?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Butterfly Valley posted:

I built my Great Wave off Kanagawa last night and today while listening to the accompanying Lego art podcast about the painting and it was some of the most zen lego building times I've had, and the finished product is gorgeous.

Cool, I just snagged it yesterday for 68€,whichbis a steal and am looking forward to doing this as well. It really like this painting and I know next to nothing about it so this will be awesome to listen to

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Hopper posted:

Cool, I just snagged it yesterday for 68€,whichbis a steal and am looking forward to doing this as well. It really like this painting and I know next to nothing about it so this will be awesome to listen to

Rather than scanning the QR code in the manual just look up the video on YouTube because there's an extra 30 minutes or so of bonus chat which for whatever reason they don't include on the main page. Then when you're done with the podcast find some Japanese lo-fi audio for the rest of it.

Interesting tidbit I read on the Wikipedia page about the painting - because Japanese read right to left, that also affects how they see the painting, which makes it feel even more like the fishermen are sailing into the jaws of death.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Lego posted the instructions for the Batcave. I looked at the Batmobile pop-up guns mechanic out of curiosity. I was surprised it's just done by turning a knob and breaking the clutch on the connections. I thought it would need a spring or rubber band connection to get the force to pop off the panels that high. The woman in the video doesn't twist the knob to vigorously.

deoju fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 6, 2023

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Sunk Dunk posted:

what do you guys typically do with VIP points? use em for discounts?

VIP sets and merch for Space Cadet.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Jehde posted:

Hell yeah I had/have that yellow one second from right as a kid.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Dogen posted:

I feel like there are two waves a year. Am I crazy?
There is one wave per year, but sometimes, we get extras here and there. The McLaren 720S was produced off-schddule for various reasons. The Porsche 911 Turbo was recolored white and released off-schedule. The movie cars are off-schedule too, and I aaaaaalmost wonder if the Skyline got deliberately pushed back into 2023 to satisfy those who have become used to an off-season Speed Champs drop. There are simpler answers for that one, though: maybe it needed a slight redesign, or maybe they didn't wanna drop two F&F cars at the same time. I have absolutely zero doubt whatsoever that the Skyline was developed at the exact same time as the DB5 and Charger and then delayed to 2023, though.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Jehde posted:

I had the little red and black one with the number 2!

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
anyone know if there's gonna be any new GWP when 2x VIP points start?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Doesn’t look like it, but sometimes they keep going with the old GWPs if they have some leftover.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Last 2 posts are why I hate this thread

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

a sexual elk posted:

Is it that time of year already? I don't have the traditional... Ah here it is!

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021

a sexual elk posted:

Ok

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

a sexual elk posted:

???

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Last two posts are why I hate this thread.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

bird with big dick posted:

Last two posts are why I hate this thread.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I love this thread and all of its posts.

Except those by that one jerk who came in to brag about scalping.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Looks like Lego ideas orient express is coming in November for 299. Train Lego might get me back in depending how it looks in higher rez images.

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-orient-express-erste-infos/162305/

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Sorry I guess I was in a mood lastnight, love you guys

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
The last post is why I hate this thread

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm sorry, that was mean. We all deserve to have a bad day once in a while, bring it in for a hug

:glomp:

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Everyone needs to get back to posting cool new sets that I cannot really afford to buy and then talking about how cool they are so I feel the pressure and end up buying them.

Unrelatedly, I thought the A-frame was a pretty fun build.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Scipiotik posted:

Looks like Lego ideas orient express is coming in November for 299. Train Lego might get me back in depending how it looks in higher rez images.

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-orient-express-erste-infos/162305/

Why does this train have a Star Wars level markup? Crazy that a set like this breaks down to >10¢/pp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I just wanted to get in on the hating sorry.