Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Jerkface posted:

Blue Box yoooo he did it

I'm so pumped for this series right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

One thing I liked from this week's Elusive Samurai was the whole thing of how the Emperor had a heavy tread, with wood creaking and earth cracking.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Darth TNT posted:

Sakamoto: That Akao teasing is insane. Really thought she was going to show up at the end.

Same, I'm really pumped to see where things go now.

quote:

Fabricant: I was totally expecting this to be the end of the line, but it doesn’t appear to be and I love how faithful and thought out the primary conceit of the Fabricants is. Like now with how nr 1 escapes because killing him runs counter to 100s desires.

Also agreed. Even if we're only getting a few more chapters, the manga is sticking to its guns: there's definitely more to her than expected, but at the end of the day, 100 isn't looking out for Ashibi's goals, she's looking out for her, and Ashibi needs to remember that.

Jerkface posted:

Blue Box yoooo he did it

I cheered.

Witch Watch: Y'know what, I agree with the web poll: I enjoy watching Kanshi suffer too :unsmigghh:

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I really like service wars. one of the funnier gag shonen I’ve read in a while

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
"My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!" from Shōnen Jump+ shows some promise, with 4 chapters published as I am typing this. If you are interested in something new, read the first chapter before the spoiler tags:

I did not read the title when I was looking for new manga, so the ending of the first chapter hooked me out of nowhere. I cannot recall a manga/anime where it seems to have a genuine attempt to flesh out a "healthy" relationship between a yandere and the protagonist. Most anime and manga seem to use yanderes as a gag, plot device, or force of nature. Kisaki is currently all of those aforementioned things, but I believe the long-term success of this manga is going to depend on how the mangaka chooses to step outside that boundary as their relationship is explored and has progressed. (Or it can keep doing gags/surprises, though I think there are only so many gags/surprises before the manga feel repetitive and ends.)

Nonetheless, as "healthy" as their relationship is, toxicity is not what anyone should aspire to have, but like Haruka, I have been hooked in: I have his same curiosity in seeing where their relationship goes from here. Like Haruka, I am also looking for something new, and this manga is definitely new.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm seen somewhat similar premises before but Goosebumps Girlfriend is by far the most interesting execution of it.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Yea, Mashle rules

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Finished Dorohedoro. What a wild ride. What a beautiful friendship.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Pro tip: don’t threaten Kinosaki or dinner plans.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Re-reading Zatch Bell and got to the Yopopo chapters. drat this manga is still so good.

Almost a shame its about to drop the monster of the week format because it does it so well, even if all the most iconic stuff is from Zofis onwards.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

According to a little interview at the end of the latest Eden's Zero chapter apparently Mashima's next project will be an original anime series rather than another manga, that's all we know for now as far as I'm aware

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 7, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sindai posted:

After quite a while, the author of Hinamatsuri has a new manga: https://mangadex.org/title/d5208b9d-5233-4672-bf5c-6e7d23767e37/j-m

There's actually been a few of them, although I'm having a hard time telling the one shots from the shorts from the actual series.

One just updated!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1667199899476058118

:toot:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

What does this mean? Is it just an english physical release?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Jerkface posted:

What does this mean? Is it just an english physical release?

That's right, Viz is doing their triannual physical release announcements right now

edit: https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1667213475465113600

lol

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 9, 2023

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

That's right, Viz is doing their triannual physical release announcements right now

edit: https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1667213475465113600

lol

Omg. :derp: Is it time to talk about Earthchild again?

Edit: lol at those responses.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
The only salient reply was "This is required reading as a big book of Don'ts"

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jun 12, 2023

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
EarthChild would make more sense if it were bad on purpose like Agravity Boys, but that was explicitly a comedy and going in hard on bad tropes was the joke. But it seemed to actually be trying. Probably the worst thing I’ve seen in Jump, but at least it was just badly written and wasn’t like.. disgustingly offensive. A digital exclusive is exactly what it deserves.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

To whoever mentioned Service Wars in this thread, thanks. 10/10 gag manga.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

your welcome. at this rate its going to burn itself out in less than 50 chapters but it’s extremely funny

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

muscles like this! posted:

One thing I liked from this week's Elusive Samurai was the whole thing of how the Emperor had a heavy tread, with wood creaking and earth cracking.

I've said it before, but all the heightened reality stuff is great.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mashle: nothing like interrupting a villian's sad backstory

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Flair posted:

"My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!" from Shōnen Jump+ shows some promise, with 4 chapters published as I am typing this. If you are interested in something new, read the first chapter before the spoiler tags:
I'd had my eyes on this one and Jinrui-Shoku. I'm definitely interested in where that story will go given it's been a while since I saw a good romance with a yandere character. The mangaka knows how visually disturb without going too far, yet.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Akane-banashi: well, if people weren't shipping Akane and Hikaru before, they will be now

Electric Phantasm posted:

"No sympathy for you." :drat:

Fabricant 100: drat, we're getting another arc. SJ giving me hope here!

Blue Box: :3:

Cipher Academy: I think this was the best game they've done so far. Easy to understand and no word dumps needed to communicate what's going on

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Sakamoto Days running on John Wick rules rocks. "How are we gonna do [normal thing] with our insane assassin poo poo?" "No it's fine there's an Assassin [Normal Thing] for that."

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Blue Box: Yo raise the anchor cuz this ship is SAILING

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Akane-banashi: What hit me coming out of this chapter was the sudden emotional knife of the Dad Flashback. Real great move by the writers getting her in direct competition with another Rakugo Dad as soon as possible.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Akane-Bananshi: "Google, what is the gayest possible way to declare eternal enmity?"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Alacron posted:

Blue Box: Yo raise the anchor cuz this ship is SAILING

Blue Box continues to be a manga where people actually talk and make sure they both understand what's meant in a given situation.

It's nice.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Squidster posted:

Akane-Bananshi: "Google, what is the gayest possible way to declare eternal enmity?"

Happy Pride

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Electric Phantasm posted:

Mashle has been amazing for refusing to lose pace. The only section that lagged even a bit was when he was temporarily dead

Sad to see it ending (I think?). But glad it didn't waste any time or get stretched too thin in the name of milking tankobon volumes.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mashle has this amazing cathartic feel to it sometimes. Seeing zero get punched over and over (as well as his lovely sons) and then denied his sad sob story is just perfect. Fact that Mash is at its heart a dumb Harry Potter power fantasy infused with shounen is what gives it strength.
I do wonder though, my first impression was that Mash straight up ignored the rewind and just punched him back into the timeline, but later dialogue implies that we just fast forwarded and it always ends up with zero getting punched. I’m not sure which explanation I prefer.

Undead: Tournament arc!

Sakamoto: I love Keisuke. I hope he gets his bag back.

Fabricant: yes, more Fabricant please. I don’t know what’s happening there with the color pages and now the extension after what appeared to be a death flag, but I’m going to enjoy every second of it! I wonder if it just gets good word of mouth and ratings somehow even if the sales aren’t astounding?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Fabricant 100 and Cipher Academy both own and I hope they get to stick around. I like how Cipher Academy manages to have a self-aware sense of humor without excessive explaining-the-joke, and I like seeing the characters figure out the bizarre puzzles. They don't have much wiggle room in the rankings, though; the only thing below them last week was Ichinose Family, which seems to be moving towards a conclusion.

I have mixed-to-negative feelings about the new series. Kill Blue has written itself into an uncomfortable corner in the long run, but for now it mostly works as a silly villain-of-the-week series. Nue's Exorcist is a pretty bland harem shenanigans/urban monster hunting manga; the school setting makes it even less interesting than Tokyo Demon Bride. Do Retry is also pretty generic; the closest thing it has to a distinctive gimmick is the late-40s setting, which is mostly just a convenient generator of tragic backstories.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

Mashle has this amazing cathartic feel to it sometimes. Seeing zero get punched over and over (as well as his lovely sons) and then denied his sad sob story is just perfect. Fact that Mash is at its heart a dumb Harry Potter power fantasy infused with shounen is what gives it strength.
I do wonder though, my first impression was that Mash straight up ignored the rewind and just punched him back into the timeline, but later dialogue implies that we just fast forwarded and it always ends up with zero getting punched. I’m not sure which explanation I prefer.

It's not super-clear at first, but the black cut panel I think was meant to signify that it was a fast-forward. Innocent Zero has been trying all sorts of variants of the final fight just to lose over and over again.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's not super-clear at first, but the black cut panel I think was meant to signify that it was a fast-forward. Innocent Zero has been trying all sorts of variants of the final fight just to lose over and over again.

I love that this reality bending near God of magic is forever destined to have his poo poo rocked by some bowl cut wearing muscle doofus who almost certainly still has at least 5 cream puffs on his person.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Crain posted:

I love that this reality bending near God of magic is forever destined to have his poo poo rocked by some bowl cut wearing muscle doofus who almost certainly still has at least 5 cream puffs on his person.

Also remember that what seems like the actual god of the world gave him a power up because he thought it would be funny.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Akane-banashi: It's great to see shonen-style progression that is unique to the protagonist's journey and not simply a series of Mega Man technique lifts...

Black Clover / Kaiju No. 8: ...but sometimes watching a perpetual stream of limit breaks is fun too.

Ichinose Family: I thought y'all said this might end and I'm wishing it would, feels like a revolving door of the same two reveals at this point.

Fabricant 100: Meanwhile, I'm glad the other "doomed" entry seems to still have some life in it!

Choujin X: Stay weird, stay inscrutable, don't let this cruel, petty world change you.

Beat & Motion: I really want this to find a happy medium between Akane-Banashi and Show-ha Shoten, which...

Show-ha Shoten: ... rekindled my interest with the broadcast show. The "drilling into strategy" really worked here, where previous live competition scenes would try to thoroughly break down every possible factor of stand-up when so much is a crap shoot. Still a good time! Just seems funnier lately.

Spy x Family / Mashle / Sakamoto Days: Also fun

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Silver2195 posted:

Fabricant 100 and Cipher Academy both own and I hope they get to stick around. I like how Cipher Academy manages to have a self-aware sense of humor without excessive explaining-the-joke, and I like seeing the characters figure out the bizarre puzzles. They don't have much wiggle room in the rankings, though; the only thing below them last week was Ichinose Family, which seems to be moving towards a conclusion.

Huh, I thought Ichinose was doing better than that, but that does explain some things about the direction the story's taken.

quote:

I have mixed-to-negative feelings about the new series. Kill Blue has written itself into an uncomfortable corner in the long run, but for now it mostly works as a silly villain-of-the-week series. Nue's Exorcist is a pretty bland harem shenanigans/urban monster hunting manga; the school setting makes it even less interesting than Tokyo Demon Bride. Do Retry is also pretty generic; the closest thing it has to a distinctive gimmick is the late-40s setting, which is mostly just a convenient generator of tragic backstories.

I think Kill Blue will be fine, because if nothing else the manga's made it a constant point to remind us that the MC is a middle-aged man who is not interested in being in any sort of relationship with the teenage girl (who's already had bad experiences with adult men hitting on her) beyond protecting her. It's not impossible that things could change, but barring something like some sort of identity death of the MC, I think the manga's laid its cards on the table as far as that goes.

But as far as the other new series, I agree. They're not bad, but they're fairly generic shonen. Tbh, Tenmaku Cinema's turning into something very interesting, and it might end up becoming my favorite out of the new series if it keeps it up. It's really surprising just because of how bland its first chapter was

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Oh yeah, Tenmaku Cinema is probably the best of the new ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
yeah I don't think you particularly need to worry about Kill Blue. There is like no hint that either party is particularly attracted to the other. Beyond them being friends.

Like it obviously could go down that road, but the author seems to have gone out of their way to consistently say old dudes hitting on young girls is creepy as poo poo.

I actually like Kill Blue a bunch. Old man robbed of childhood gets chance to have one, having friends his age and learn about how much of a piece of poo poo he was, while getting to use his skills to protect someone is a fun premise.