Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Midjack posted:

Which of the RX-78 and Wing Zero are you considering? There are several of each and the quality varies wildly.

The RG RX-78-2 is a grenade kit. The last time I tried to pose mine I ended up with a handful of leg pieces. They went back in the box. Don't get the RG RX-78-2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They're both HG from Amazon. The RX-78 is only twelve bucks, and the Wing Zero is like twenty.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
I would recommend the EG over the HG for the RX-78-2
It's a phenomenal build with no polycaps and still has great poseability. You should be able to order one for about ten bucks from Target if it's not up for a good price on Amazon (assuming you're in the US)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SnakesRevenge posted:

I would recommend the EG over the HG for the RX-78-2
It's a phenomenal build with no polycaps and still has great poseability. You should be able to order one for about ten bucks from Target if it's not up for a good price on Amazon (assuming you're in the US)

On the other hand, if you're going for something a little more expensive, the Origins version is great, and comes loaded up with optional gear.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

TaurusOxford posted:

What's the problem with Cybuster?

Funny thing is, I typed Cybuster initially and then decided out of spite to have it the way the box does.

My main problem with it is the way the silver injection plastic looks on it which is kinda wavy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Who here army building?

https://twitter.com/hobbysite/status/1665275116878721024?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Gripweed posted:

Who here army building?

Bring out the Prodoros you cowards

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

got the legs done on the RG Sazabi today. my dad and I had a laugh when we saw that just the leg was nearly as tall as the entire Zaku II we built prior

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Buck Wildman posted:

got the legs done on the RG Sazabi today. my dad and I had a laugh when we saw that just the leg was nearly as tall as the entire Zaku II we built prior

Both the CCA main mecha are large but the Sazabi is huge.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Speaking of legs for miles, I’m building my hi-nu. I almost gave it to a friend because I’m trying to clear out unfinished projects but I never made an RG so I talked myself into doing it. Earlier in the day I had cranked out the HG guys on the left and was surprised to see the size difference with the hi- nu

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Who is that chonker on the left? I might need him

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thats a Dilanza from G Witch

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010
Finished the Gespenst, that was a really good build, only one sticker for the gun. It's also nice that it comes with a stand, though mine is sadly missing the slash ripper effect parts, so no posing with those for me.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Arc Hammer posted:

Thats a Dilanza from G Witch

Dilanza Sol, specifically.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Snowy posted:

Speaking of legs for miles, I’m building my hi-nu. I almost gave it to a friend because I’m trying to clear out unfinished projects but I never made an RG so I talked myself into doing it. Earlier in the day I had cranked out the HG guys on the left and was surprised to see the size difference with the hi- nu

they look shocked

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Monkey Fracas posted:

they look shocked

"It's gonna kick the poo poo out of us!"

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Monkey Fracas posted:

they look shocked

*lowers gundam shades*

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SnakesRevenge posted:

"It's gonna kick the poo poo out of us!"

Hey, Amuro's always been a good friend to the Guncannon. It has nothing to worry about.

The dirty spacenoid, on the other hand...

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Buck Wildman posted:

Can confirm.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I'd like these a lot more if they didn't have Gundam face and antennae. :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'd like these a lot more if they didn't have Gundam face and antennae. :(

That's what 30MM head packs are for! :science:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

what the gently caress is going on?

https://twitter.com/hobby_magazine/status/1665712578843246592?s=20

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Patlabor riding atop a Zoid?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Zoids is 40 now, it's a collaboration.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Azubah posted:

Zoids is 40 now, it's a collaboration.

Between Zoids, Fist of the Northstar, Patlabor, and Hololive, all in one kit?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

After the abomination of the godzilla/ultraman/evangelion/kamen fusion earlier in the year, sure why not.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

So I've got a bigger model coming in and I figured I really need to give this guy a bit more TLC but I still don't have a reason to get a full airbrush kit. I think I'm going to get some third hands and get some of these mr hobby top coats. not sure yet which one. Are top coats easy to work with? I still need to work something out for my cat - I might just make a makeshift paint station for outdoor use or something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Azubah posted:

After the abomination of the godzilla/ultraman/evangelion/kamen fusion earlier in the year, sure why not.

"Earlier in the year" you mean a week and a half ago?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Waffleman_ posted:

"Earlier in the year" you mean a week and a half ago?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Mindblast posted:

So I've got a bigger model coming in and I figured I really need to give this guy a bit more TLC but I still don't have a reason to get a full airbrush kit. I think I'm going to get some third hands and get some of these mr hobby top coats. not sure yet which one. Are top coats easy to work with? I still need to work something out for my cat - I might just make a makeshift paint station for outdoor use or something.

I used a matte topcoat with my prior build and it looks great - removes the plastic look and seals in the stickers/panel lining. you just put the part on an alligator stick and give it 2-3 quick sprays on every side and let it dry. definitely do it outside or in an extremely well-ventilated area - I do it in the yard with a covid mask on just to keep the fumes from spraying back into me

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Mindblast posted:

honestly I do rattle cans out in my backyard and it's not a huge problem for me. I do either Mr. Hobby's "Mr. Super Clear Matt" or Tamiya's TS-80 Flat Clear. I will say that you will find what you spend on cans to climb up to the price of an airbrush/vent station pretty quickly if you're doing this often, but for one or two kits you can get away without the larger investment.

if you're doing waterslides do that first. some will say do gloss coat -> waterslides -> flat coat, but personally i think it's only necessary if you've painted. so paint -> gloss coat -> waterslides -> flat coat, but if you're not painting just waterslides on bare plastic and then flat coat over is fine imo. ymmv

you really don't need to do any surface prep unless the pieces have been sitting around collecting dust before you plan to top coat. I'll pretty much fully assemble and keep my kit broken down by each limb, which I'll attach to an alligator clip. Then I just have a piece of packing styrofoam I took out of some box I can poke the clips into. I will hold a clip, spray about 6" away from the piece, make sure it's covered, then stick it in the styrofoam and grab the next one. When I'm done I take it inside and set it by an open window in a room I'm not gonna be in for like an hour so I'm not breathing in any fumes. You can leave it outside to dry too but you're likely to get whatever dust/pollen/debris etc is floating around to stick into the coat and get it dirty.

dries to the touch in like 30 mins-1 hour and then you're pretty much done. i recognize that this method is not elegant but it works just fine for me and I have been informed that gunpla is in fact freedom

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Flat topcoat and panel lining is like 90% of making kits look like the promotional art. Very cheap and effective.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Marx Headroom posted:

Flat topcoat and panel lining is like 90% of making kits look like the promotional art. Very cheap and effective.

this was all I did with the Zaku and it was transformative

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Also third-party waterslides to replace horrible stickers is the final part of the "I want to improve my models but don't want to commit to a painting setup" holy trinity.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

This kit comes with water decals and Ive got standard panel liners lying about. Its that 3rd party Thor kit that looks like its a bit above mastergrade.

:hmmyes: matt layer it is. Ive got some 30mm bots lying around for practice.

Thx for the detailed answers! Im stoked to try this. Order should come in end june so Ive got time to practice and stuff.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
FYI, if you have an air compressor for your garage you can hook an airbrush up to it just fine. Yes, a compressor designed for the task will work better, but using stuff you already have lowers the barrier for entry.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

The only prerequisites I have for airbrushing are the two hands that will hold the mr hobby matt top coat can. :v:

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Pierson posted:

Also third-party waterslides to replace horrible stickers is the final part of the "I want to improve my models but don't want to commit to a painting setup" holy trinity.

was thinking about this yesterday and just ordered a set of Delpi waterslides and setter/softener for the Sazabi. I also got a set of the metallic markers recommended earlier itt because I want to do some gold/silver detailing on the yellow parts especially to give it some flair

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

JoeGlassJAw posted:

you really don't need to do any surface prep unless the pieces have been sitting around collecting dust before you plan to top coat.

What's a good option if they have been? Just a wet paper towel or do I need to go further?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah just a wipe down is usually enough. Maybe a cheap makeup/powder brush if you can get one easily to scrub the nooks and crannies clean.