Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Squibbles posted:

I have the DeWalt 20v trimmer, it only takes one battery and it absolutely tears through the charge. We do have a larger yard but it can't even come close to trimming around all our trees. It gets around maybe 10 or 15 before the 5ah battery goes flat and it feels under powered anyway. I'd be happier with a gas one probably. Or maybe a bigger flexvolt or something but I haven't invested at all into DeWalts 60v stuff

Are you only using the "high" speed setting? The DeWalt 20v I have has a slider for high vs low. I only use low (because it works fine for the grass / weeds I use it on) and I generally can get through an entire yard on 1 5ah battery. Once or twice per year I might need to grab a 2nd battery for the last 5 mins. I would guess I get about 20-25 mins of near constant trimming use for the 5ah battery for mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

That Works posted:

Are you only using the "high" speed setting? The DeWalt 20v I have has a slider for high vs low. I only use low (because it works fine for the grass / weeds I use it on) and I generally can get through an entire yard on 1 5ah battery. Once or twice per year I might need to grab a 2nd battery for the last 5 mins. I would guess I get about 20-25 mins of near constant trimming use for the 5ah battery for mine.

I can't remember now. But part of the problem is probably that we have some pretty fibrous weeds that take a little extra work to whack down

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

It’s just really drat hard to beat 2 stroke internal combustion engines and gasoline for power:weight and energy density.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

^^ yeah but dicking around with all that gas and gummed up carbs etc.. (insert black and white video of guy struggling with poo poo). I got my battery outdoor equipment as I was starting a-new with a house after being in an apartment for awhile post-divorce.

have the Ryobi 40v Trimmer and the Tiller attachment.. with the 4ah battery it's all I need for my suburban backyard. the only time I Think I've drained the battery all the way out is when I've tilled all 4 4x4 garden beds and then done some dirt where I removed a bush to till up the rest of the roots etc.

edit: in other news.. Anyone who owns a home and doesn't own a sawzall should stop shitposting and get one. My ryobi brushless is probably my 3rd used tool behind my drill and impact. It's taken out like 4 bushes, and an old deck. the long diablo demo blade is a best. This weekend I took out yet another bush, makes life easy to get all the branches off to expose trunk and then helps just shoving it in the dirt to cut those last 4 roots that are holding onto the drat thing.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 5, 2023

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

tater_salad posted:

edit: in other news.. Anyone who owns a home and doesn't own a sawzall should stop shitposting and get one. My ryobi brushless is probably my 3rd used tool behind my drill and impact. It's taken out like 4 bushes, and an old deck. the long diablo demo blade is a best. This weekend I took out yet another bush, makes life easy to get all the branches off to expose trunk and then helps just shoving it in the dirt to cut those last 4 roots that are holding onto the drat thing.

No kidding. I've used the crap out of my one-handed Milwaukee M18 Fuel "Hackzall" and it's cut through everything I've thrown at it: steel pipes, cast iron, lumber with nails, tree limbs, whatever. It's so much handier than a full sized sawzall too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

tater_salad posted:

^^ yeah but dicking around with all that gas and gummed up carbs etc.. (insert black and white video of guy struggling with poo poo).
Life's pleasures

UKJeff
May 17, 2023

by vyelkin
I have the 18v brushed ryobi trimmer and use it to trim and edge the lawn and it maybe eats up 1/2 a 4ah battery

The only people I see using gas trimmers these days are the landscapers. Thank goodness too, that sound is really annoying

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

UKJeff posted:

The only people I see using gas trimmers these days are the landscapers. Thank goodness too, that sound is really annoying
This is the main thing for me, honestly. My Ego mower and trimmer work just fine for me, and they're no louder than a box fan.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

sharkytm posted:

I went to fire up our ancient Toro and the primer bulb cracked off in my hand. Not sure it's worth replacing, but I'm not into any of the higher voltage battery systems. Is the Makita 18v strimmer any good?

There are complaints about the single string models breaking. I've got the two string version and it works well. I still have the 4 stroke Stihl gas trimmer but it's not really subtle enough for string trimming around poultry wire and small fruit trees, it's more of a mini-Brushhog. It hasn't been out of the shed for a couple of years.

tater_salad posted:

Tru, dat. I just have a little 12v Milwaukee and it's been great. Much easier to line a pruning cut up and hit a button than screw around trying to maneuver a folding or bow saw. Only caveat is that the battery can pop out if the blade binds so make sure you have a spare in your pocket so you don't have to climb down the ladder to retrieve it.

On the dark side of battery tools, I'm about to send off the battery pack for the Greenworks lawnmower we inherited from my father in law for rebuilding. Greenworks changed its battery packs so the Gen 1 and Gen 2 are mechanically but not electrically compatible and the Gen 1 packs are impossible to find. Rebuild will cost $150 cdn vs $120 for a new Gen 2 pack from Crappy Tire. gently caress Greenworks.

The drive belt on the John Deere gas mower needs replacing but the engine needs to be stripped off the deck for that job. If I'm doing that I'd also replace the upper half of the blade clutch ($250 when I last priced it two years ago) and it'd big and awkward and only used for trimming so uh, not sure I want to put the time and expense into it. The Greenworks mower is a better size for what we need now. :homebrew:

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

Squibbles posted:

I have the DeWalt 20v trimmer, it only takes one battery and it absolutely tears through the charge. We do have a larger yard but it can't even come close to trimming around all our trees. It gets around maybe 10 or 15 before the 5ah battery goes flat and it feels under powered anyway. I'd be happier with a gas one probably. Or maybe a bigger flexvolt or something but I haven't invested at all into DeWalts 60v stuff

That’s interesting, Milwaukee’s 18V comes with an 8ah battery and I believe recommends not using anything below that because the 5s won’t have the performance for it. I’ve never tried using a 5 in it, but I bet on the fast setting it would absolutely chew through them.

The battery is friggin heavy though, it’s annoying that the shoulder strap is sold separately

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Squibbles posted:

I have 20v string trimmer (DCST925B) and I don’t have any problems using it with a 5ah battery and my 1/3 acre lot. I am using a push mower so I don’t have trim all the trees. Have you replaced the string? Putting new string in improved my experience, the string in box was very weak and was always breaking.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Fifty Three posted:

This is the main thing for me, honestly. My Ego mower and trimmer work just fine for me, and they're no louder than a box fan.

Another thing people classify as a con that I actually kinda enjoy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

You enjoy noise pollution and operating things that are too loud to be hearing safe and wearing ear protection? Odd.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Motronic posted:

You enjoy noise pollution and operating things that are too loud to be hearing safe and wearing ear protection? Odd.

Plz don't kink shame, it's rude.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Motronic posted:

People enjoy weirder things.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Im torn on battery tools. I love the convenience and lack of maintenance but my gas tools (honda mower, husky trimmer and chainsaw) just work and have given me zero issues in the 6+ years I've owned them. I think I'll always keep a gas saw because its easier to refuel when I'm in the mountains and has excellent power. For trimmers and mowers, I might eventually move to battery.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Believe me, I get it, I love engines. Just wish my entire neighborhood wasn't the constant sound of riding mowers, weed whackers, and leaf blowers for ten months out of the year. My neighbors with electric tools are much less intrusive on the peace and quiet.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Yeah I can see how it gets frustrating if you have to hear it all the time. A lot of people here including me have robot mowers which are completely silent which also cuts down on that.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Everything except the mower and snow thrower are battery for me, and I would absolutely swap both for battery if I was confident they'd last long enough. I feel like the mowers are probably there, but this last winter with constant 6-10" snowfalls would probably have pushed the limit on a snow thrower.

I keep looking at the Makita XGT mowers, but I'm sad to see the bad review in thread for it. Based on the specs it'd be plenty for my yard, but it's a lot of $ to drop and have it fall short. My old Lawn Boy 21"/6.5 Kohler just keeps on trucking and usually does the yard twice on a single tank.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

Believe me, I get it, I love engines. Just wish my entire neighborhood wasn't the constant sound of riding mowers, weed whackers, and leaf blowers for ten months out of the year. My neighbors with electric tools are much less intrusive on the peace and quiet.
I dream of organizing my neighbors to use one lawn service that can just start on one end of the street and work up and down in one giant cut, for like 4 hours one day a week. But then I'd have to talk to my neighbors.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Calidus posted:

I have 20v string trimmer (DCST925B) and I don’t have any problems using it with a 5ah battery and my 1/3 acre lot. I am using a push mower so I don’t have trim all the trees. Have you replaced the string? Putting new string in improved my experience, the string in box was very weak and was always breaking.

We have 1.5 acres with about 35+ baby trees to trim around when the weeds start coming up in addition to all the yard edging and such. It's asking a lot from a light battery powered trimmer.

Also I replaced the default head with one of those bigger ego ones and I noticed the extra weight seems to strain the trimmer more so I imagine that may be helping it burn through the battery faster.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

PitViper posted:

Everything except the mower and snow thrower are battery for me, and I would absolutely swap both for battery if I was confident they'd last long enough. I feel like the mowers are probably there, but this last winter with constant 6-10" snowfalls would probably have pushed the limit on a snow thrower.

I keep looking at the Makita XGT mowers, but I'm sad to see the bad review in thread for it. Based on the specs it'd be plenty for my yard, but it's a lot of $ to drop and have it fall short. My old Lawn Boy 21"/6.5 Kohler just keeps on trucking and usually does the yard twice on a single tank.

I swapped my 40V Greenworks thrower this past winter (after a belt broke in the middle of a blizzard) with an 80V single-stage Greenworks, and I was pretty impressed with its capabilities in last Minnesota's winter. I'm also biding my time until Greenworks releases their 80V two-stage in America...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

stealie72 posted:

I dream of organizing my neighbors to use one lawn service that can just start on one end of the street and work up and down in one giant cut, for like 4 hours one day a week. But then I'd have to talk to my neighbors.

Sounds like you ought to get a HOA going on your street.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

wesleywillis posted:

Sounds like you ought to get a HOA going on your street.
Oh hell no.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

stealie72 posted:

Oh hell no.

But YOU could become the petty tyrant! Think of the power!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

sharkytm posted:

But YOU could become the petty tyrant! Think of the power!

EVERYONE has to cut their lawn same time every week?!

You don't want that? You just said you wanted that.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I’ve had the opposite thought that if everyone on the street quit mowing for the summer we could all get away with it, but if one person kept mowing it would make everyone else look bad and we would all have to start mowing again.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

This is why the pro strat is to gradually remove sections of your lawn and replace it with nice landscaping and native plants that don't require constant trimming

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Fifty Three posted:

This is why the pro strat is to gradually remove sections of your lawn and replace it with nice landscaping and native plants that don't require constant trimming pave your entire lot

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Squibbles posted:

We have 1.5 acres with about 35+ baby trees to trim around when the weeds start coming up in addition to all the yard edging and such. It's asking a lot from a light battery powered trimmer.

Also I replaced the default head with one of those bigger ego ones and I noticed the extra weight seems to strain the trimmer more so I imagine that may be helping it burn through the battery faster.
I think it took about 8 charges to do what you can see from the road/driveway with a 40v 2.5 ah battery, 2.5 tanks of gas in the old one.

I'm still never buying a gas trimmer again but if something happened to my big chainsaw I'd buy another gas Stihl in a second.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
Yeah. I have a gas Stihl brush cutter that's pretty great. I'm just too lazy to take the bit metal head off and put on the string for the lighter work. Oh well

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

stealie72 posted:

Heck, it's incredibly wasteful for every house on my suburban cul-de-sac to own its own mower, trimmer, edger, blower, pressure washer...
We should form a tool library and only have one or two good quality versions of each.
Of course it would never work in practice.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

~Coxy posted:

Heck, it's incredibly wasteful for every house on my suburban cul-de-sac to own its own mower, trimmer, edger, blower, pressure washer...
We should form a tool library and only have one or two good quality versions of each.
Have had the same thought as my next door neighbor and I was pressure washing the day after my neighbor had his out.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

~Coxy posted:

There will always be one person who breaks tools regularly

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah like. I'ma offer my Cross the street neighbor use of my tools and my quick jacks... My next door neighbor who can't figure out how to restring his electric trimmer... Nah son.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Yeah a good tool library is a very nice thing to have but you need people managing it, membership fees to maintain and purchase equipment. An online reservation system is also key. Having multiples of each piece is also nice so you're not waiting 5 weeks for a string trimmer.

It's always great in theory but requires a bit of logistics and manpower to manage. Also I'm that guy. I take care of my tools and I hate neglect or broken stuff. I don't let people use my chainsaw unless I know they won't put it in the dirt. I've had friends borrow tools and return them all kinds of hosed. It's just annoying and you're either going to make a fuss about it or eat it and never loan your tools out again.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

~Coxy posted:

The problem is everyone wants all of those things on saturday morning.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I usually mow on Sundays because I'm too busy enjoying my Saturday, become ungovernable

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I mow my front lawn on the southwest corner almost exclusively on weekday evenings, because I hate myself and like to toil in the hot sun as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I need a tool to install grommets onto a large sheet of fabric. The material isn't super thick or anything either.

Is there a recommended style and/or brand of grommet punches/dies that I should look at?