Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Paula Deen?
Paula Deen
Paula Deen
View Results

mystes
May 31, 2006

I've found him in the comments for random YouTube videos that aren't related to food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

ragusea had the same thing where he would post giant screeds in response to anyone calling him out for saying something stupid. although at least with kenji he was usually right about whatever he was challenging. but yeah it was kinda annoying in some of kenjis vids where he'd say something along the lines of 'ugh i KNOW the youtube comments are gonna say THIS about me doing THAT, but actually' and it came off as someone that needed to be told to stop reading youtube comments about the state of his sink or whatever

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

mystes posted:

I've found him in the comments for random YouTube videos that aren't related to food

hes probably reading this thread right now

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't think Something Awful posters in 2023 should really be casting stones about being Online.

Oh to add to the YouTube recommendations, I'll throw in Ottolenghi Test Kitchen. They seem to only really post regularly when a cookbook is coming out, but their recipes ate great. It is generally more labor and ingredient intensive than what you might want for a weeknight though.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't think Something Awful posters in 2023 should really be casting stones about being Online.

Oh to add to the YouTube recommendations, I'll throw in Ottolenghi Test Kitchen. They seem to only really post regularly when a cookbook is coming out, but their recipes ate great. It is generally more labor and ingredient intensive than what you might want for a weeknight though.

'being online' is mostly a codeword for people that can't help themselves from responding to everything. im online 24/7, being online rules. but i stay the gently caress off of twitter and if someone posts something stupid in the battlebots reddit or whatever i will ignore it and go through my cycle of refreshing websites until i see something i like

mystes
May 31, 2006

I don't think kenji's level of onlineness is weird in itself, just most other youtubers wouldn't go around commenting in random places like reddit under their real name

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Weird History Food (not really cooking)

Ordinary Sausage (actually cooking)

Townsends (17th century living, big emphasis on food)

Tasting History with Max Miller - History about food around year X or event Y. Then makes the food as close as he can. Can be a little annoying but not for very long at a time.

American Masters PBS - See next
KQED - Both of these channels have old cooking stuff on them though PBS isn't food focused.

Kenji - Yup.

La Cocina de Chabelita Mx - https://www.youtube.com/@LacocinadeChabelitaMx I don't understand Spanish but it's a lady down in Mexico cooking for her family and large groups.

How To Drink - OK not cooking at all but it's nice to have a drink with dinner.

LGR Foods - Lazy Game Review's channel where he makes sandwiches and rates them, instead of reviewing old video games and computer hardware.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Kenji became an idol of food bros, so he’s also quoted as gospel truth through no fault of his own. Unless he responds to someone summoning him via username tagging in the comments section.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Wow I'd seen Raguesa's turkey video but not that knife skills one before. That is just powerfully, aggressively stupid.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's sort of like the frying video where it would have been reasonable if he made a claim that was less strong but he went beyond that into dumb territory to get clicks or whatever

Like he should have just said "you don't need to have good knife skills to cook" but instead it ended up more like "I intentionally refuse to learn to use a knife safely :smug:"

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

To be fair, Adam Ragusea's turkey video is an old one, here's a much better one that's more recent.

The knife skills one is bad.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Democratic Pirate posted:

Kenji became an idol of food bros, so he’s also quoted as gospel truth through no fault of his own. Unless he responds to someone summoning him via username tagging in the comments section.

I am so out of the loop on whatever internet circles would constitute ‘food bros.’ I’m just imagining dudes at 24 hour fitness talking about Kenji sink drama and laughing to myself

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Borsche69 posted:

i also dont like that he calls himself a prof chef a lot and leans into being experienced but... given his age and how long he's been doing youtube i can only guess that he's probably spent maybe a year in an actual kitchen. not that this is a big problem in itself, just the way that he he'll use 'experienced pro chef' as a qualifier for his vids

I don't think he was ever head chef or owner of a place, but here's a video of him doing a challenge thing of working at a restaurant he used to work at for 24 straight hours. Whether that qualifies you as a pro chef... shrug. But I did get the impression he worked in an actual kitchen for awhile before jumping off and doing the YT stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgMUHEIBNMs

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.
I'm just vaguely remembering this from youtube osmosis, but I'm pretty sure Joshua weissman was the chef de cuisine at uchiko, infamously run by Paul qui from top chef

Given all the scandal and stuff that came out of that particular story, it is no surprise to me at all why Joshua weissman is like he is if that's the kitchen he got his chops at

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Leraika posted:

the most important cooking show guy is ordinary sausage
:hai:

The only food person I haven't seen mentioned who I watch is Mythical Kitchen, but that's less for "good cooking" and more like the culinary equivalent of watching a monster truck rally that occasionally does really good interviews about death. I'm a big fan and even though they do have some good cooks, would never recommend the channel to anyone wanting something serious.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Wungus posted:

:hai:

The only food person I haven't seen mentioned who I watch is Mythical Kitchen, but that's less for "good cooking" and more like the culinary equivalent of watching a monster truck rally that occasionally does really good interviews about death. I'm a big fan and even though they do have some good cooks, would never recommend the channel to anyone wanting something serious.

Same, and they gave the world Orange Chicken Parmesan

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Pretty much everyone at Mythical Kitchen is legit a good cook, but yeah it's pretty rare that I actually want to make anything they do.

They had some early pandemic episodes that were more normal practical cooking videos and I still do some of those (my tortilla recipe and method is from Josh, although I'm sure it doesn't vary too much from person to person).

Joshua Weissman's website (vs. his videos) are a go-to recipe site for me. It's extremely rare that his recipes aren't bang on and amazing, and just getting ingredients and methods without hearing about how much papa is going to kiss suits me just fine.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

No love for Matty Matheson? Sometimes he's way too much, but then I get in a specific mood and watch a ton of his videos in a day

as a result of this I recently made his brick chicken diavolo (using bone-in skin-on thighs instead of a whole spatchcocked bird, and no brick because I didn't have any that weren't covered in dirt and worms) and it loving slapped

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

matty is cool but his recipes are practically unusable unless you're trying to cook for 40

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

lol as half of a two-person household, paring down recipes is the norm. everyone's out there cooking for an army

e: vvvvv absolutely, but sometimes the quantities are ridiculous, my go-to meatball/marinara recipe reportedly feeds 10, even halving it can be a lot to get through

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 6, 2023

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Ain't nothing wrong with leftovers

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6nVI0T8Or8

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

flesh dance posted:

No love for Matty Matheson? Sometimes he's way too much, but then I get in a specific mood and watch a ton of his videos in a day

as a result of this I recently made his brick chicken diavolo (using bone-in skin-on thighs instead of a whole spatchcocked bird, and no brick because I didn't have any that weren't covered in dirt and worms) and it loving slapped
That sausage and peppers video was a real showstopper too. Why have I not been loving with hungarian hots my whole life? I like Matty's content, but the recipes are sometimes a little too extravagant for me. Yeah like he can throw it all together in 30 minutes or whatever, but I'm not that guy.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Cooking with Dog is pretty great for small recipes, most of her videos make enough food for one, maybe two people

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Lan Lam’s videos with America’s Test Kitchen are really sciency and a little too dense for light watching for me. But they’re a great watch when I want to learn something.

https://youtu.be/6VhD5QyDEh4

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I have Matty's Home Cookery book and his other one I can't remember the name of, big sturdy hardback cookbooks. They're great reads.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

There's also Sorted Food.

https://www.youtube.com/@SortedFood

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Sortedfood is good; I'm sad that they've moved away from recipes and things like the Big Night In videos on their channel because of the app tho

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
I watch Sorted videos but don't think I have ever been tempted to make myself anything that they cook. Not sure why.
Their ingredient review / comparisons are always good and have alerted me to a few things that I wouldn't have otherwise bought.

Someone mentioned earlier and I always enjoyed Middle Eats for middle eastern, the recipes of his I made have always been a big hit even if some of them take some preparation.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

postmodifier posted:

I'm just vaguely remembering this from youtube osmosis, but I'm pretty sure Joshua weissman was the chef de cuisine at uchiko, infamously run by Paul qui from top chef

Given all the scandal and stuff that came out of that particular story, it is no surprise to me at all why Joshua weissman is like he is if that's the kitchen he got his chops at

I dislike the YT voice/over editing as much as anyone else but I don't think he acts that way because his former boss was a domestic abuser, what on earth are you talking about.

I don't watch Mythical Kitchen, but I appreciate the Last Meals series that guy does. Here he is getting surprisingly deep with Maria Bamford:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0sfBmVMT_Q

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Crime Scene Kitchen came back last night! :toot:

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
i like that jamie guy who's impossibly messy and actually awful at cooking but is really cute, and babish is great but not the ones where you have to see him interact with humans. and the hairy guy that used to do a channel w his brother or something? oh and sip and feast

i only watch channels of people i want to have sex with

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
oh and claire is still gold!!

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Uncle Roger was interesting for about 3 weeks.

Then the fact he's just putting on a kind of racist act and commenting on literally any Asian food from channels that might actually specialize in that food got real old. Like sure, this channel is dedicated to ramen and has documented the owners experiments with various types of ramen, flavors and techniques but I'm sure this random comedian from the UK has some useful insights into making a bowl of ramen.

This has become a pet peeve of mine like people who can't cook commenting about how a white chef needs to learn to season their food.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

helsabot posted:

i like that jamie guy who's impossibly messy and actually awful at cooking but is really cute, and babish is great but not the ones where you have to see him interact with humans. and the hairy guy that used to do a channel w his brother or something? oh and sip and feast

i only watch channels of people i want to have sex with

Not Brothers Green Eats? He's changed the name to Pro Home Cooks or something. Still pretty decent content, IMO.

mystes
May 31, 2006

helsabot posted:

i like that jamie guy who's impossibly messy and actually awful at cooking but is really cute
who is this?

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Pick Up Limes is mine and my wife’s favourite food Youtuber for vegan/vegetarian recipes. It’s great knowing that she is a nutritionist, so she can explain why a meal is healthy and avoid all that sort of “cleansing” or “healing” garbage.

https://youtube.com/@PickUpLimes

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005

mystes posted:

who is this?

https://youtu.be/cWsdR3ZSt4E

mystes
May 31, 2006

oh I think I watched part of one of his videos once but it left zero impression on me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

I find him endearing. I haven't watched any of his super old stuff, but he seems to have come a long way as a home cook and you can't argue that he doesn't put in the work. The mess thing is true, my partner came in when I was watching the giant cream puff video and was like WOW that man is destroying his kitchen lol I think it kind of comes with the territory when every recipe requires 27 bowls, pans and utensils

(it's the Jamie & Julia guy, for everyone else who ignores unlabeled youtube urls :argh:)

flesh dance fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 9, 2023