Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Bugsy posted:

According to this, the old digg buttons sent an alert to one dude who basically ran the the entire digg site by manually ranking stuff. When they switched it over to an algorithm who gently caress knows if those buttons actually did anything because the site sucked so much.

Lol that this company (and all of capitalism) would rather burn itself on fire than admit the essential nature of its workers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

Ive had a couple lucid dreams where it sprang from a book, as in the whole flow of it was left to right down the page, on to the righthand page etc.. but as I was traveling across the words it was illuminated and unfolding to show all sorts of cinematic visuals.

Another weird text incident I had in a dream I was talking to this bald, strange man (wearing long white robes, had weird jewely on his neck and ear). The guy was nonplussed to speak to me, every word he uttered opened up paragraphs of wikipedialike text in a foreign script, with random words translated to english in these blocks. I asked him who he worked for, in the text of his response was "Universe's Killing Machine"

To bring it back I hope that same guy has Mr. Musky scheduled soon!

kru
Oct 5, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

Dude, I don't know if you've got some kind of glitch going on here, but your post is just a stream of nonsense

Hell, same

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Shageletic posted:

How about writing, like fantasy or something that involves alot of description and world building. How does that work?

Essentially the same; it's a process that you practice over and over until it comes naturally for you. Playing TTRPGs helps a lot in this regard.

The way I taught myself basic creative writing was in high school, through adapting single episodes of old Doctor Who into short stories. Old Doccy Who isn't exactly stellar television to modern eyes: the effects are as infamous for their quality as they are charming; the camera work and set dressings are rudimentary at best. The scripts and the performances behind the main cast are the only thing propping the whole thing up, but even they are subject to the whims of the producer, the budget measured in pennies and the unforgiving runtime. The end result is best approached as a stage play with the understanding that a lot of the secondary performers are hired for their asking rates and not necessarily their talent.

So, there's a lot of room for expansion. Take this random scene from The Time Warrior, a 1974 Third Doctor story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW9vSgUaXZU

Once you get past how... janky it all looks, you've got so much to write about : what are the random knights in the background thinking of this encounter? What's going through the head of the lead knight, whose first instinct upon seeing something beyond his comprehension is to challenge it to a duel? How is the Sontaran commander reacting to the planet's natives attacking him? He needs their help repairing their ship, but his military training won't let him treat the locals as anything else than stock to be subjugated.

That's enough to turn this two minute scene into a seven page short story. It won't be anything stellar, but it's good practice, and consistent practice is how you get good at anything.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

UndusMundae posted:

I thought it was the fact that Bruce referred to himself as Bruce, and he knew he was trapped inside a dream of someone else's making, because he always referred to himself as batman, even mentally.

Different episodes. The one you're thinking of is an episode of Batman Beyond. The one with the dream-text is 'Perchance to Dream' from TAS, and one of my favorite episodes.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

E the Shaggy posted:

Elon out here liking Grimes' Tweets. He's so lonely.

https://twitter.com/Grimezsz/status/1666980216911306752?s=20

This song is great, very relaxing

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I find not listening to Grimes even more relaxing.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Sentient Data posted:

The thing about not reading in a dream is that you can't read in a dream. If you look at a sign you can absorb the fact that it's the mailman's nephew's name in Klingon, but that's kind of like looking at a cat and knowing it's a cat. If you actually try to look at text and make an effort to read, it won't be the same. Words or numbers will be different or nonexistent or nonsensical, but above all it will constantly change as soon as your focus slips.

It's actually tied into lucid dreaming, but that's honestly a big enough topic that it should have its own thread

This based on absolute nothing

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I've definitely read words in a dream. I remember waking up and thinking "huh, that was a dream but I read some words, how odd"

On the other hand, I think what you're describing does cover people speaking in my dreams. I understand what they're saying, but I don't hear it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
It's based on direct personal experience. If you don't believe it for whatever reason then :shrug:

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Trying to operate a smartphone in a dream is the most frustrating thing, nothing works like you want it to, and often the phone breaks in half

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

https://twitter.com/ZoeSchiffer/status/1667518082607386624
https://twitter.com/chancery_daily/status/1667404768438886400

kazil fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Jun 10, 2023

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Why are there 95 shareholders lmao

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
e: either I missed it or it got added but beaten

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
ANGERAMPLIFIER :elon:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1667517287006453763?s=20

Hard Drive has been delivering Onion level gold for ages now.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A bunch of old twitter idiots kept hold of their shares.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

A bunch of holdovers and a few companies who specifically brought stock when it was still traded for the specific purpose of getting a piece of the private company under Elong's fabulous leadership. There may have been a few private placement deals (to avoid disclosure rules with block purchases of a publicly traded stock) at the deal close, but no one's sure precisely because it was obfuscated during the deal. Also it doesn't really tell us a ton because you can have shell companies owning bits of Twitter who may have multiple legal or beneficial owners in turn.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Man twitter blue reply guys are going hard on the Call of Duty stuff

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Shageletic posted:

How about writing, like fantasy or something that involves alot of description and world building. How does that work?

I've tried writing, and people tell me it's great I guess. I remember getting the advice (not from my readers) "describe scenes with all 5 senses to improve immersion" and tried to write with that specifically in mind. I intentionally wrote with "you haven't had a [x] descriptor in a while" in mind, and 'visual' got no preferential treatment. Going back and rereading, my visuals are pretty sparse and vague.

My wife made some "fan art" of my protagonist and asked if it was close to what I had in mind. Which was a really hard question for me because the short answer is "obviously not"

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts

Washington Post posted:

17 fatalities, 736 crashes: The shocking toll of Tesla’s Autopilot
Tesla’s driver-assistance system, known as Autopilot, has been involved in far more crashes than previously reported

SAN FRANCISCO — The school bus was displaying its stop sign and flashing red warning lights, a police report said, when Tillman Mitchell, 17, stepped off one afternoon in March. Then a Tesla Model Y approached on North Carolina Highway 561.

The car — allegedly in Autopilot mode — never slowed down.

It struck Mitchell at 45 mph. The teenager was thrown into the windshield, flew into the air and landed face down in the road, according to his aunt, Dorothy Lynch. Mitchell’s father heard the crash and rushed from his porch to find his son lying in the middle of the road.

“If it had been a smaller child,” Lynch said, “the child would be dead.”

(...)

Mitchell survived the March crash but suffered a fractured neck and a broken leg and had to be placed on a ventilator. He still suffers from memory problems and has trouble walking. His great aunt said the incident should serve as a warning about the dangers of the technology.

(...)

Tesla’s 17 fatal crashes reveal distinct patterns, The Post found: Four involved a motorcycle. Another involved an emergency vehicle. Meanwhile, some of Musk’s decisions — such as widely expanding the availability of the features and stripping the vehicles of radar sensors — appear to have contributed to the reported uptick in incidents, according to experts who spoke with The Post.

Tesla and Elon Musk did not respond to a request for comment.

(...)

Philip Koopman, a Carnegie Mellon University professor who has conducted research on autonomous vehicle safety for 25 years, said the prevalence of Teslas in the data raises crucial questions.

“A significantly higher number certainly is a cause for concern,” he said. “We need to understand if it’s due to actually worse crashes or if there’s some other factor such as a dramatically larger number of miles being driven with Autopilot on.”

In February, Tesla issued a recall of more than 360,000 vehicles equipped with Full Self-Driving over concerns that the software prompted its vehicles to disobey traffic lights, stop signs and speed limits.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/06/10/tesla-autopilot-crashes-elon-musk/, archive link: http://archive.today/2023.06.10-132036/https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2023/06/10/tesla-autopilot-crashes-elon-musk/

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ah yes, the great GamerGate 2023 bot brigades.

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
Whilip Poopman, a Marnegie Pellon Duniversity

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Waffle House posted:

Ah yes, the great GamerGate 2023 bot brigades.

Is it still all about Ethics In Video Games Journalism?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's such a micro bubble of outrage too.
No one gives a flying gently caress what Call of Duty did.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

ok but have you considered that all the other car brand have like 9999999% more of these things happening just off frame that the msm anti musk media isnt reporting on?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Essentially the same; it's a process that you practice over and over until it comes naturally for you. Playing TTRPGs helps a lot in this regard.

The way I taught myself basic creative writing was in high school, through adapting single episodes of old Doctor Who into short stories. Old Doccy Who isn't exactly stellar television to modern eyes: the effects are as infamous for their quality as they are charming; the camera work and set dressings are rudimentary at best. The scripts and the performances behind the main cast are the only thing propping the whole thing up, but even they are subject to the whims of the producer, the budget measured in pennies and the unforgiving runtime. The end result is best approached as a stage play with the understanding that a lot of the secondary performers are hired for their asking rates and not necessarily their talent.

So, there's a lot of room for expansion. Take this random scene from The Time Warrior, a 1974 Third Doctor story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW9vSgUaXZU

Once you get past how... janky it all looks, you've got so much to write about : what are the random knights in the background thinking of this encounter? What's going through the head of the lead knight, whose first instinct upon seeing something beyond his comprehension is to challenge it to a duel? How is the Sontaran commander reacting to the planet's natives attacking him? He needs their help repairing their ship, but his military training won't let him treat the locals as anything else than stock to be subjugated.

That's enough to turn this two minute scene into a seven page short story. It won't be anything stellar, but it's good practice, and consistent practice is how you get good at anything.

That's so cool, and more than anything it shows your ability to follow things through. I've always been a daydreamer building elaborate visual diaoramas in my head to stave off boredom, but it's hard to translate that into writing when the thing imagine is so much cooler and maybe more satisfying than anything you can do yourself. But it all comes down to a matter of work ethic I think.

Evilreaver posted:

I've tried writing, and people tell me it's great I guess. I remember getting the advice (not from my readers) "describe scenes with all 5 senses to improve immersion" and tried to write with that specifically in mind. I intentionally wrote with "you haven't had a [x] descriptor in a while" in mind, and 'visual' got no preferential treatment. Going back and rereading, my visuals are pretty sparse and vague.

My wife made some "fan art" of my protagonist and asked if it was close to what I had in mind. Which was a really hard question for me because the short answer is "obviously not"

I'm sure practice would help you there, like the other poster.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

PhazonLink posted:

ok but have you considered that all the other car brand have like 9999999% more of these things happening just off frame that the msm anti musk media isnt reporting on?

No, because that's obviously stupid.

mystes
May 31, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

So if the raw number of accidents caused by auto-pilot/FSD is only a small fraction of the total number of automobile accidents in the US, then is it not a big deal even if it turns out that use of auto-pilot/FSD leads to a higher rate of accidents?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The goon curse of being unable to identify jokes strikes yet again

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I don't have time to acknowledge, respond or investigate in any way as I am very busy posting transphobic memes

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JewishWorker/status/1667352395695763456

I've noticed this too - a lot of Twitter ads nowadays are these "stores" with generic-sounding names all selling the exact same poo poo.

Edit: And another one just popped up while I was looking at that tweet lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/JewishWorker/status/1667352395695763456

I've noticed this too - a lot of Twitter ads nowadays are these "stores" with generic-sounding names all selling the exact same poo poo.

Edit: And another one just popped up while I was looking at that tweet lol

I thought maybe he was quietly unblocking those for me after I blocked ads with products I remembered seeing and blocking before, I guess an endless chain of new stores popping up with the exact same crap makes sense.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tiny Timbs posted:

right, like dogs

Yeah but humans can look up, unlike dogs.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
Musk just liked this. Come on Elmo, don't be a coward, steal the meme and post it as your own. The advertisers will love it.

https://twitter.com/LibertyCappy/status/1667555052549033984?s=20

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

lol
Any day now, the woke are gonna rise up and complete thier evil plan to destroy western civilization.

aaaany day now..

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010
Like 20 replies in, there's right-winging chud accounts changing the Swaztika to the star of David and moaning about Jews.

But yeah, LGBT are the nazis.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The real nazis are the enemies we made along the way

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Bugsy posted:

According to this, the old digg buttons sent an alert to one dude who basically ran the the entire digg site by manually ranking stuff. When they switched it over to an algorithm who gently caress knows if those buttons actually did anything because the site sucked so much.

more and more i find out none of the sites in the early 2000s even worked... and they all made off like bandits. just loving incredibly that people consider the tech industry a meritocracy. did facebook even work back then or was zuck manually creating every single class a school had?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Strong Sauce posted:

more and more i find out none of the sites in the early 2000s even worked... and they all made off like bandits. just loving incredibly that people consider the tech industry a meritocracy. did facebook even work back then or was zuck manually creating every single class a school had?

Considering the Zuck got his start with FaceMash, odds are he was indeed single-handedly creating every class